Richard Sherman has thoughts on the Jets QB situation

T0mShane

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are there two football players who's opinion I'm less interested in hearing? 

The real question becomes, if they are so adamant about their feelings on the topic, why aren't they giving their very own team crap for not making this move?  There are few realistic options in this regard:

1.  They feel the immortals of Trevone Boykin and Austin Davis are actually superior, in which case that tells you plenty about their real opinions of him.

2.  They are full of crap and just spouting off entirely based on some asinine topic that has nothing to do with actual football talent.

3.  They're spineless hypocrites who are happy to judge other teams for not fitting to their own beliefs of a player's talent, but too scared to direct the same opinion towards the team who is paying them, despite their supposedly strong opinions on the matter.

Regardless of what their excuses are for acting they way they are, there is no possible justification that makes their opinions anything more than completely meaningless drivel.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The real question becomes, if they are so adamant about their feelings on the topic, why aren't they giving their very own team crap for not making this move?  There are few realistic options in this regard:

1.  They feel the immortals of Trevone Boykin and Austin Davis are actually superior, in which case that tells you plenty about their real opinions of him.

2.  They are full of crap and just spouting off entirely based on some asinine topic that has nothing to do with actual football talent.

3.  They're spineless hypocrites who are happy to judge other teams for not fitting to their own beliefs of a player's talent, but too scared to direct the same opinion towards the team who is paying them, despite their supposedly strong opinions on the matter.

Regardless of what their excuses are for acting they way they are, there is no possible justification that makes their opinions anything more than completely meaningless drivel.

Great point.  Wasn't it reported that Seattle might be interested in Kaep early on? What immortal backup do they have who won 10 games with Seattle? 

This is so silly this Crapernick thing.    Sure he has a first amendment right to protest( not standing for the anthem- no ones going to throw him in jail for that.    The team that employs him has the right to expect him to follow the rules( especially when it's hurting their business - NFL ratings are down bigtime due to Crapernick stunt.  NFL fans have big bearing on NFL owner profits, and the salary players get.( only BSPN stupid enough to ignore what their customers want- why they eventually will be out of business.

See Antonio Cromartie sitting for the National anthem, and Irsay cutting him the next day.  Sure you have a right to protest, but when your messing with the owners bottom line than don't be surprised when you're shown the door.

Any job you work out they have rules you must follow, the NFL should just make it mandatory that everyone stands for National anthem.  End of story. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

This is so silly this Crapernick thing.    Sure he has a first amendment right to protest( not standing for the anthem- no ones going to throw him in jail for that.    The team that employs him has the right to expect him to follow the rules( especially when it's hurting their business - NFL ratings are down bigtime due to Crapernick stunt.  NFL fans have big bearing on NFL owner profits, and the salary players get.( only BSPN stupid enough to ignore what their customers want- why they eventually will be out of business.

See Antonio Cromartie sitting for the National anthem, and Irsay cutting him the next day.  Sure you have a right to protest, but when your messing with the owners bottom line than don't be surprised when you're shown the door.

Any job you work out they have rules you must follow, the NFL should just make it mandatory that everyone stands for National anthem.  End of story. 

They would have to negotiate that and have that put into the next CBA.  That would only go into effect after the current CBA expires.

I'm not a fan of Roger Goodell but there is absolutely nothing he could do to Kaepernick last year 

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Regardless, it's ridiculous how so many people have their panties in a wad over Kaepernick and not Cutler. 

I think people are bored.  Sports in general is so boring right now.  Everyone in the NBA wants to make a superteam so it's basically the Warriors versus whatever lame superteam.  MLB season is too long.  The Jets have made the NFL a mockery with this offseason and people are sick of seeing Brady win every year

100% F'k those guys.  who is your Qb after Russel Wilson?  Trevon 'I have been in trouble constantly' Boykin and Ausitin fing Davis.

If you love the player so much and feel he is hard done by and is so good why are you not blasting your own GM and coach for letting him leave his visit without signing.

Assclowns

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Regardless, it's ridiculous how so many people have their panties in a wad over Kaepernick and not Cutler. 

Cutler is 5 years older than Kaepernick, hasn't expressed a willingness to be a part of a QB competition (to my knowledge), hasn't expressed a willingness to be a back-up (to my knowledge), hasn't openly expressed an interest in playing football anymore (to my knowledge), has been considered a malcontent and a bad teammate, has been given a job at Fox Sports, and yet, should Tannenhill need surgery, is more likely IMO to start for the Dolphins this year (which I think is the smarter football decision on their part, but does nothing to diminish the fact that Kaepernick has essentially been blacklisted).

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

100% F'k those guys.  who is your Qb after Russel Wilson?  Trevon 'I have been in trouble constantly' Boykin and Ausitin fing Davis.

If you love the player so much and feel he is hard done by and is so good why are you not blasting your own GM and coach for letting him leave his visit without signing.

Assclowns

My thought, too. There is no better, safer situation in the league for Kaepernick than Seattle and they outright passed on him. 

20 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've heard this a lot.  Can you please provide proof?

Rasmussen polled it, I forget the exact results but it was something like a third people not watching games last year answered they were less likely to watch due to Kaepernick.

Tbh it's a really dumb ******* thing to poll. It's 100% dependent on the phrasing of the question and whether or not the idiot on the phone masturbated that day, and/or how many times. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Rasmussen polled it, I forget the exact results but it was something like a third people not watching games last year answered they were less likely to watch due to Kaepernick.

Tbh it's a really dumb ******* thing to poll. It's 100% dependent on the phrasing of the question and whether or not the idiot on the phone masturbated that day, and/or how many times. 

yeah, Rasmussen...

26 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Cutler is 5 years older than Kaepernick, hasn't expressed a willingness to be a part of a QB competition (to my knowledge), hasn't expressed a willingness to be a back-up (to my knowledge), hasn't openly expressed an interest in playing football anymore (to my knowledge), has been considered a malcontent and a bad teammate, has been given a job at Fox Sports, and yet, should Tannenhill need surgery, is more likely IMO to start for the Dolphins this year (which I think is the smarter football decision on their part, but does nothing to diminish the fact that Kaepernick has essentially been blacklisted).

Miami is a perfect spot for Kaep, they love mediocre players that wear castro t shirts to press conferences and praise him:lol:

every other player that took a knee has a job, those other players didn't double down w/ some of the other outrageous things Kaep did or said.

18 minutes ago, gEYno said:

yeah, Rasmussen...

Rasmussen is a good firm. They use  methods that slightly differ from time to time but they are still one of the most accurate in the nation. People really have a severe misunderstanding of how polling works. It's a shame the way they have been dragged through the mud the last year. I have several friends and colleagues that have done reports for them and it sucks to see their names and work get sucked into the ideological stratosphere of I'm right/you're wrong. 

The Kaepernick one was just dumb to bother with. But every firm excepting maybe Gallup is guilty of being a publicity hound from time to time. 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Rasmussen is a good firm. They use  methods that slightly differ from time to time but they are still one of the most accurate in the nation. People really have a severe misunderstanding of how polling works. It's a shame the way they have been dragged through the mud the last year. I have several friends and colleagues that have done reports for them and it sucks to see their names and work get sucked into the ideological stratosphere of I'm right/you're wrong. 

The Kaepernick one was just dumb to bother with. But every firm excepting maybe Gallup is guilty of being a publicity hound from time to time. 

I don't know the ins and outs, but Silver does not view them very highly.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Miami is a perfect spot for Kaep, they love mediocre players that wear castro t shirts to press conferences and praise him:lol:

every other player that took a knee has a job, those other players didn't double down w/ some of the other outrageous things Kaep did or said.

I hadn't heard of the Castro thing... So, I googled it.  Maybe you should too.

Just now, nyjunc said:

maybe you should read the real story

By "real story" you mean the one that fits the narrative you like?

Honestly, do you not see any problem in being the guy who defends Ray Rice, who punched a woman in the face, and vilifying another player for a t-shirt and a pair of socks?  There's literally no issue there?

Just now, gEYno said:

By "real story" you mean the one that fits the narrative you like?

Honestly, do you not see any problem in being the guy who defends Ray Rice, who punched a woman in the face, and vilifying another player for a t-shirt and a pair of socks?  There's literally no issue there?

there's no narrative, he wore a Castro shirt to a PC and praised Castro for his policies on education.

I am biased about Ray, that has nothing to do w/ this but a grown man w/ misguided beliefs wearing pig socks and calling police salve catchers is a bad man. he's also a phony, the only admirable trait he had was standing up for his beliefs and now he will no longer kneel b/c he needs a job.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

there's no narrative, he wore a Castro shirt to a PC and praised Castro for his policies on education.

I am biased about Ray, that has nothing to do w/ this but a grown man w/ misguided beliefs wearing pig socks and calling police salve catchers is a bad man. he's also a phony, the only admirable trait he had was standing up for his beliefs and now he will no longer kneel b/c he needs a job.

Yes, he wore a t-shirt with Malcolm X and Fidel Castro on it.  And, he did praise Castro's policy of valuing education over prison.  Is that great judgment?  Perhaps not.  But, just under 63 million people decided to vote for a man to be president, not back-up QB mind you, but president, who praised some of what Sadam Hussein did.  If I had to guess, the larger percentage of people who have a problem with praising an education policy of Castros are the same who didn't mind compliments of Sadam Hussein from someone seeking a far more important job.

And, Ray Rice absolutely does have to do with this.  Because, when nyjunc makes judgments about who should be allowed to play in the league, nyjunc's judgment is that a guy who wears disagreeable apparel and holds political/social views you don't like deserved to be blacklisted but a guy who punches a woman in the face on camera does not.

One place we agree though, I think it's weak that Kaepernick said he won't take a knee anymore because he's a FA, and it undermines his message.  But that doesn't mean he never had one, much like other things, he could have handled it differently.  Personally, I'd have said something to the effect of, "Everyone knows how I feel about these issues, but I will discuss it with management and my teammates next season."

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yes, he wore a t-shirt with Malcolm X and Fidel Castro on it.  And, he did praise Castro's policy of valuing education over prison.  Is that great judgment?  Perhaps not.  But, just under 63 million people decided to vote for a man to be president, not back-up QB mind you, but president, who praised some of what Sadam Hussein did.  If I had to guess, the larger percentage of people who have a problem with praising an education policy of Castros are the same who didn't mind compliments of Sadam Hussein from someone seeking a far more important job.

And, Ray Rice absolutely does have to do with this.  Because, when nyjunc makes judgments about who should be allowed to play in the league, nycjunc's judgment is that a guy who wears disagreeable apparel and holds political/social views you don't like deserved to be blacklisted but a guy who punches a woman in the face on camera does not.

One place we agree though, I think it's weak that Kaepernick said he won't take a knee anymore because he's a FA, and it undermines his message.  But that doesn't mean he never had one, much like other things, he could have handled it differently.  Personally, I'd have said something to the effect of, "Everyone knows how I feel about these issues, but I will discuss it with management and my teammates next season."

Ray Rice is a good man who made a big mistake, he doesn't double down on stupid like CK does.

I actually had respect for Colin the way he handled the protest, it's the other stuff where he lost me.  I don't care if he gets signed or not as long as it isn't w/ the Jets.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Ray Rice is a good man who made a big mistake, he doesn't double down on stupid like CK does.

I actually had respect for Colin the way he handled the protest, it's the other stuff where he lost me.  I don't care if he gets signed or not as long as it isn't w/ the Jets.

A mistake is leaving a cup of coffee on top of your car or your keys in the front door...

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

A mistake is leaving a cup of coffee on top of your car or your keys in the front door...

Good people make bad decisions sometimes.  you have no idea all the great work he has done both before and after the incident, unlike Kaep he doesn't leak it to the press to sway public opinion.  he does it for the right reasons.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

If Kaepernick has been blacklisted, which he hasn't (to my knowledge), it would be his own doing. He chose to use the NFL and one of its teams as a platform to spread his political views. If I did that at my place of work, I'd likely be fired as well, and if other companies knew about it, I would likely not be employed by them too. I don't give two craps about his political views, no matter how much of a fraud I think he is, had he done it on his own platforms, we would know wether or not he was being blackballed, or NFL teams just think he sucks, or some combo of.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Good people make bad decisions sometimes.  you have no idea all the great work he has done both before and after the incident, unlike Kaep he doesn't leak it to the press to sway public opinion.  he does it for the right reasons.

Kaepernick has donated 700K thus far (of 1M pledged) to organizations working towards causes he believes in.  He raised money to fly food and water to Somalia, donated his sneakers to the homeless in SF, and suits to men on parole in NYC looking to re-enter the workforce.  So, I guess Ray Rice doesn't corner the market on "great work?"

Archived