Richard Sherman has thoughts on the Jets QB situation

T0mShane

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no, he's out b/c there was a tape.  if no tape he'd still be in the league.  he had one bad year where he was hurt. this was all about the tape.  he knows what he did, he accepts being blackballed.  he has no one to blame but himself.

It was primarily the tape, of course. But if a tape shows up with Ezekiel Elliot doing something similar, Elliot will be back in the league the second his suspension ends

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, T0mShane said:

I agree that he's talented enough to be in the league, but I'm sympathetic to those who'd like to sign him but don't see the value in inviting the peripherals. I thought John Mara--who isn't a hard-right kook at all--was pretty honest about this.

I 100% agree.  I totally get why 32 people (or families) wouldn't sign him.  My only argument is against the idea that football decisions are driving his unemployment.  Secondarily, I guess I argue against the notion that this is a bad person (at least by what we've been able to see).

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

him wanting in was very different, Colin will get another shot at some point.  Ray was afraid(and rightfully so) he'd never get another shot.  

I understand.  So, whether or not a person is a fraud for doing charity work while unemployed is based on your perception of the likelihood of them once again being employed.

12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Which of the statements I made above is not objectively correct and an effort to be PC?  Since it's a huge difference, please be specific.

lol, go back to worrying about things that fit your narrative, you were doing better with that.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was primarily the tape, of course. But if a tape shows up with Ezekiel Elliot doing something similar, Elliot will be back in the league the second his suspension ends

I'm not sure, that tape was pretty jarring but yeah a younger RB would have had a better chance.  I don't think if the tape was from a year earlier where he averaged 4.4 YPC that he would have received another shot but who knows?

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I understand.  So, whether or not a person is a fraud for doing charity work while unemployed is based on your perception of the likelihood of them once again being employed.

I don't think those situations are comparable.  he has done so much and never for the wrong reasons.  again, for any reasons is good but when all of a sudden you are everywhere after some of the things colin said and did I think it's a little fake.  

Just now, gEYno said:

aww, you tried.

yeah, lol, thats one way to look at it, or I just don't feel like having an intellectual pissing match with someone whose argument is, "I'm sure you disagree with most things that don't fit your narrative."

I could probably beat a 12 year old at chess pretty badly, doesn't make it fun...... or a good use of my time.........

Just now, nyjunc said:

I don't think those situations are comparable.  he has done so much and never for the wrong reasons.  again, for any reasons is good but when all of a sudden you are everywhere after some of the things colin said and did I think it's a little fake.  

And Ray Rice wasn't willing to play in the NFL for free until he knocked a woman out, so I think it's a little fake.

Just now, gEYno said:

And Ray Rice wasn't willing to play in the NFL for free until he knocked a woman out, so I think it's a little fake.

Ray had no other chance at getting back in, he was just showing he'd do anything for one more chance.  he donated more than what his salary would have been that year but didn't publicize it and has worked tirelessly to try to prevent others from doing what he did.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I 100% agree.  I totally get why 32 people (or families) wouldn't sign him.  My only argument is against the idea that football decisions are driving his unemployment.  Secondarily, I guess I argue against the notion that this is a bad person (at least by what we've been able to see).

Absolutely! He seems like a relatively good dude who is committed to his belief and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. He does some commendable stuff. I even think, from a public relations perspective, you could get him onto a lot of teams if it wasn't for the pig socks picture. There's no qualifying that one.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

yeah, lol, thats one way to look at it, or I just don't feel like having an intellectual pissing match with someone whose argument is, "I'm sure you disagree with most things that don't fit your narrative."

I could probably beat a 12 year old at chess pretty badly, doesn't make it fun...... or a good use of my time.........

That you don't even understand what I said doesn't make it stupid.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I'm not sure, that tape was pretty jarring but yeah a younger RB would have had a better chance.  I don't think if the tape was from a year earlier where he averaged 4.4 YPC that he would have received another shot but who knows?

It's just a lot easier to blackball an older RB who looked to be in decline anyway, is my point. That tape was disgusting and I'd have blackballed him too 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It's just a lot easier to blackball an older RB who looked to be in decline anyway, is my point. That tape was disgusting and I'd have blackballed him too 

he got what he deserved.  Mixon should have been too but I guess that proves your point a little.  he's young and has a chance to be good so they took a chance.  

Just now, NoBowles said:

come on, don't be so butt hurt...... I know your really, really smart, don't sweat it.

Not nearly as smart as you, which is why I asked you to please educate me as to which of my Kaepernick/Cutler statements wasn't objective reality, and rather just me being too PC.  Please, I'm not looking to debate you - I just want to learn.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely! He seems like a relatively good dude who is committed to his belief and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. He does some commendable stuff. I even think, from a public relations perspective, you could get him onto a lot of teams if it wasn't for the pig socks picture. There's no qualifying that one.

I guess that's where the talent/PR mendoza line lies... I mean, Ray Lewis killing a guy is probably worse than a pair of socks.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Not nearly as smart as you, which is why I asked you to please educate me as to which of my Kaepernick/Cutler statements wasn't objective reality, and rather just me being too PC.  Please, I'm not looking to debate you - I just want to learn.

Im not interested. You gave excuses, I can come up with plenty of excuses or reasons for the flip side of the argument. I am not interested. I am not changing your mind, and your not changing mine. We could go round and round, maybe some other time....

And for the record, its not even reverse any longer, I think its more than safe to say thats long gone......

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Im not interested. You gave excuses, I can come up with plenty of excuses or reasons for the flip side of the argument. I am not interested. I am not changing your mind, and your not changing mine. We could go round and round, maybe some other time....

And for the record, its not even reverse any longer, I think its more than safe to say thats long gone......

I would definitely change my mind if there was objective data in the opposite direction.  For instance, if Jay Cutler said he'd take on a back-up role for back-up money, I'd also wonder why he wasn't signed.  Thus far, I don't believe he has.  I think, as I stated, that if he does want to play football, he's going to be a Miami Dolphin should Tannenhill's injury be significant.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I would definitely change my mind if there was objective data in the opposite direction.  For instance, if Jay Cutler said he'd take on a back-up role for back-up money, I'd also wonder why he wasn't signed.  Thus far, I don't believe he has.  I think, as I stated, that if he does want to play football, he's going to be a Miami Dolphin should Tannenhill's injury be significant.

when did Kaep announce he would take a backup role at backup money?

Just now, gEYno said:

Let me ask you this, if a white guy made a social stand against some perceived minority group of authority, using the NFL and an NFL team as his platform, and was unsigned, yet POSSIBLY better than some others who have been signed at his position, would all the players, Steven Smith's and talking heads of the world be bitching and complaining that he was not signed yet? And criticizing teams who did not sign him?

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

When you are trying to sign with the Seahawks, who have a highly paid SB winning QB, you are pretty much announcing you will take a backup role. Can't comment on the money aspect of it however.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I don't have links - nor the time to look for them.  However, I will say this - If Kaepernick is only willing to go to places for starter money and the starting job, then I agree I that there are significant football reasons for his unemployment.  Just as there are for Jay Cutler's.

Just now, gEYno said:

I don't have links - nor the time to look for them.  However, I will say this - If Kaepernick is only willing to go to places for starter money and the starting job, then I agree I that there are significant football reasons for his unemployment.  Just as there are for Jay Cutler's.

sounds like Miami has reached out to Cutler after the Tannehill injury.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

When you are trying to sign with the Seahawks, who have a highly paid SB winning QB, you are pretty much announcing you will take a backup role. Can't comment on the money aspect of it however.

now but when he initially became a FA the reports were he wanted a lot of money.  I don't think it makes sense for a team to sign him as a backup, if a guy gets hurt and they need a QB that's different but as a straight backup?  too much baggage for that.  he will need a QB injury where he is a good fit(not Miami).

Just now, nyjunc said:

now but when he initially became a FA the reports were he wanted a lot of money.  I don't think it makes sense for a team to sign him as a backup, if a guy gets hurt and they need a QB that's different but as a straight backup?  too much baggage for that.  he will need a QB injury where he is a good fit(not Miami).

I think its safe to assume he did want a lot of money, he did opt out of something like $14m for this year from the niners, and generally you only do that if you think you can get decent money. And I do agree that there is too much baggage for him as a backup, which is why he isn't signed. But I do think he would take a backup role at this point. He badly misplayed his personal market, and now many are fuming at teams for not running to sign him.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Let me ask you this, if a white guy made a social stand against some perceived minority group of authority, using the NFL and an NFL team as his platform, and was unsigned, yet POSSIBLY better than some others who have been signed at his position, would all the players, Steven Smith's and talking heads of the world be bitching and complaining that he was not signed yet? And criticizing teams who did not sign him?

That's a difficult question in the abstract - if you can make it more concrete, I'd happily offer you my thoughts.  

And again - I'm not criticizing the teams for not signing him... I get it.  As I said to Shane.  I'm stating that Kaepernick is not a bad guy, and I actually criticized him here for backing down and now saying he won't do it anymore as opposed to a more neutral response about talking to the owner/teammates about it.

With regards to you, I am speaking about football reasons.  I think there are more football reasons for Jay Cutler's unemployment than Kaepernick, and I provided examples.

Again, give me a concrete example and I will offer thoughts.

Just now, gEYno said:

That's a difficult question in the abstract - if you can make it more concrete, I'd happily offer you my thoughts.  

And again - I'm not criticizing the teams for not signing him... I get it.  As I said to Shane.  I'm stating that Kaepernick is not a bad guy, and I actually criticized him here for backing down and now saying he won't do it anymore as opposed to a more neutral response about talking to the owner/teammates about it.

With regards to you, I am speaking about football reasons.  I think there are more football reasons for Jay Cutler's unemployment than Kaepernick, and I provided examples.

Again, give me a concrete example and I will offer thoughts.

Its all good brother, all good. There are no concrete examples. I am just frustrated with all of the backlash teams are getting for not signing him. He made  his own choices, and IMO needs to live with the consequences. If he were good enough to justify his baggage, he would have been signed long ago. After all, the Niners started him while he was doing this. 

Just now, NoBowles said:

Its all good brother, all good. There are no concrete examples. I am just frustrated with all of the backlash teams are getting for not signing him. He made  his own choices, and IMO needs to live with the consequences. If he were good enough to justify his baggage, he would have been signed long ago. After all, the Niners started him while he was doing this. 

And my frustration is more the backlash he got for quietly taking a knee then the fact that he's not signed.  As Shane said, I think that the socks may be a tough obstacle.  At the same time, I recognize the frustration that led to the socks, even if I don't think it was a wise choice.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And my frustration is more the backlash he got for quietly taking a knee then the fact that he's not signed.  As Shane said, I think that the socks may be a tough obstacle.  At the same time, I recognize the frustration that led to the socks, even if I don't think it was a wise choice.

for me it wasn't about kneeling.  No I didn't like it but I respect when people stand up for what they believe in(even if I don't agree w/ their stance).  For me it's about the castro stuff, the pig socks, the slave catchers comment, etc...  

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Certainly... My point is in no way that Kaepernick should be signed, it's simply that he's not being signed for non-football reasons.  Because, he'd be an upgrade for a handful of teams as a starter and many teams as a back-up.

Money is certainly a factor, or at least was since this whole thing has gone nuclear with ESPN and Twitter. Kapernick restructured his contract once he got the starting job back last year so he could opt out. He was due 14 mill guaranteed prior to restructuring. Generally guys dont opt out for less money. He overplayed his hand...and really isnt very good either. No one knows what he's looking for contract wise bc he never talks, but he'd have a lot of egg on his face taking the league minimum when he had 14 mill guaranteed for just showing up.

Archived