Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

PS17

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Not looking to get into this fight but I will comment that 1983 and 2004 probably had as much or more hype.  2004 had a big 3 who were taken in the top 11 picks and two of them have gone on to win SBs and the third was pretty damned good also.  1983 needs no introduction.  You could say this class has more 'hype' because of social media and all the additional buzz that creates, but as of yet, 2018 has potential but still has work to do.  

Well, I was 4 in 1983 so I dont recall that season all too well.  2004 indeed had a lot of names floating around but I dont think it was anything like this.  It was really just Eli vs. Rivers. Big Ben was a small school riser and did anyone really believe in JP Losman?  

Your last point might have some merit.  I dont think the draft was covered the way it is now but still, at that point I was into the league probably more than I am now and I dont recall this type of hype. 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, I was 4 in 1983 so I dont recall that season all too well.  2004 indeed had a lot of names floating around but I dont think it was anything like this.  It was really just Eli vs. Rivers. Big Ben was a small school riser and did anyone really believe in JP Losman?  

Your last point might have some merit.  I dont think the draft was covered the way it is now but still, at that point I was into the league probably more than I am now and I dont recall this type of hype. 

Okay...I guess you get a pass on '83 :)

On 8/3/2017 at 5:27 PM, PS17 said:

It would be so Jets-like for him to go on to be a Hall of Famer.

John McClain, Houston Chronicle football writer: "I covered Warren Moon from from Day 1 for 10 years. At his 3rd practice, Watson reminds me of Moon n his first camp in 1984. So smooth!"

"Deshaun is ahead of any rookie quarterback I've ever been around," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien told reporters Tuesday.

"I don't really know how to articulate what I know about him," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said in mid-July, via ESPN's Sarah Barshop. "... All those great ones, the Michael Jordans, the Steph Currys, the LeBron Jameses, the Joe Montanas, the Tom Bradys ... there's a uniqueness to them. There's something to them. Yes, you can see talent. But there's this other stuff that you cannot see until you really get around it every day. And that's what he's got."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725281-deshaun-watsons-impressive-start-leaves-bill-obrien-no-more-excuses

I am 100% behind the Jets not drafting Deshaun Watson.  From what I understand, the knocks against him were a weak arm and questionable accuracy.  I wouldn't want to have that considering NY weather.  I still think the guy will be mediocre but maybe he's in a good situation in Houston because they're in a dome and they have a great defense.  Regardless, Jamal Adams feels like it was the right pick to me.  We'll go after the QB next offseason (assuming Hack isn't the guy).

15 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe that was a bit extreme.  I get passionate sometimes.  I'm not changing my story though.  I believe this is the most hyped class I've seen in my lifetime and I dont understand why.  So as we sit here and discuss it, I'm finding it over hyped.  Maybe after 2017 I'll understand the hype more but right now, I'm more of a skeptic than a believer.  

I dont think you're remembering those years correctly.  There was back and forth and a lot of debate on it.  Even the Luck/RGIII one.   There was those who thought RGIII was the better prospect.  Few...but their were.  That said, none of those drafts had this type of hype and all of those drafts, had players I like better than what I see next year.

Todd McShay had Kaya going #2 overall this time last year.  Others bought that hype as well. 

I dont know maybe it's because I'm a Jets fan and the Jets are tied closely to the prospects, so it might be too good to be true.  Not sure.  But the way people are talking about it,  you'd think we have a lot better prospects in this conversation than we do.  On paper, they're all very average sans Darnold.  The hype is because they look the part or have the "physical ability".  I just simplified and said, "big, tall with an arm".  The reality is, it's the same thing.

You believe the hype, I dont.  I dont put Rosen and Allen in the same company as Watson.  Then again, the league didnt think as highly of Watson as I did.  He was the 3rd taken just outside the top 10.  So, who knows?  What I do know, is I cant remember a class with what look like average QB's getting such hype.

Look, I liked watson as a prospect - what he did in the 2 national champ games was insanely good.  Great guy, leader, every intangible box you could check and I think he will have some success on that texans team since they have already built a great base around him, mainly their defense, RB and Hopkins.

That being said, he will be a great test case for the mph debate as he was so far below the norm in that metric.  Guys like him, once it gets cold and you are playing vs playoff caliber defenses will tend to struggle.  Maybe he will or maybe he wont, but Im very happy we took adams as he appears to be a legitimate talent who will help the entire defense.

As for the 2018 guys, we are going into the season with the most need for a QB in the draft in a Long time, and these guys are talented enough that I think it will be great to watch this college season with an eye on who could be our guy.  Watch some of Allen's cutups on draftbreakdown - his ability to throw downfield is amazing and he isnt a jamarcus russel, who is all arm no brain.

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

How many frequent flyer miles do you get going to all these training camps?

It's going to get ugly when Watson, Kizer and Glennon all look good this season and Hack is drooling on himself on the sidelines 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

It's going to get ugly when Watson, Kizer and Glennon all look good this season and Hack is drooling on himself on the sidelines 

The Bears traded up for Trubisky so I would think Glennon will be available anyway.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just imagined the scenario where Deshone Kizer plays well for the Browns and how impossible it'll be to post on here without every one of us getting revenge-trolled by @CrazyCarl40

The fact that as we speak we lack a decent QB is troubling. If these guys we passed on turn out to be great ones they will just be added to the list and we continue to argue over it.  Business as usual. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The fact that as we speak we lack a decent QB is troubling. If these guys we passed on turn out to be great ones they will just be added to the list and we continue to argue over it.  Business as usual. 

In two years, after Marcus Maye is released and Kizer makes the Pro Bowl: 

HugeJetFn69: YA OK WHAT THE SOJFS FORGET IS THAT WE HAD TO REPLACE MARCUS GILCHRIST

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In two years, after Marcus Maye is released and Kizer makes the Pro Bowl: 

HugeJetFn69: YA OK WHAT THE SOJFS FORGET IS THAT WE HAD TO REPLACE MARCUS GILCHRIST

amateur hour

the real nightmare arrives in a week

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Because of Hack we passed on:

Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Deshone Kizer and Mike Glennon

This could really be the icing on the cake in a couple months if most or all of those guys play well and Hack is picking his nose holding a clipboard

Odds and Ends

1. We have fresh quarterback data from Houston, where wideout DeAndre Hopkins strongly backed veteran Tom Savage: "If anybody should be a judge of quarterbacks, I've played with the most quarterbacks in NFL history throughout my first four years," Hopkins said, per ESPN's Dan Graziano. "So I put the stamp on Savage, and I think that's all that needs to be said about that.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Because of Hack we passed on:

Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Deshone Kizer and Mike Glennon

This could really be the icing on the cake in a couple months if most or all of those guys play well and Hack is picking his nose holding a clipboard

Don't forget mahomes and can include lynch too?

As the second week of training camp creeps to a close, are we any closer to a quarterback decision in Denver, where Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch are locked in battle for the starting role?

"I think today you actually saw some separation," NFL Network's James Palmer reported Friday. "In my opinion, watching all the seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills, Trevor Siemian really had a better day than Paxton Lynch."

A raw performer as a rookie, Lynch gave way on Friday to Siemian, who showed better mastery of the attack after 14 mostly solid starts for the Broncos a year ago.

"You saw after Lynch had a couple of struggling reps, Trevor Siemian comes in, runs the play action, throws a dime into the quarter of the end zone for a touchdown," Palmer said. "The next play, play action, would have been a touchdown, but [was] dropped by tight end Jeff Heuerman in the end zone. Siemian looking just more poised in the spot."

After practice, first-year coach Vance Joseph complimented Siemian for having a "good day" and for consistently "changing plays at the line of scrimmage" to benefit the offense.

It's just one practice, but Saturday will cook up more hard-boiled evidence when the Broncos engage in their intrasquad scrimmage.

Archived