Jump to content
PS17

Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It would be so Jets-like for him to go on to be a Hall of Famer.

 

John McClain, Houston Chronicle football writer: "I covered Warren Moon from from Day 1 for 10 years. At his 3rd practice, Watson reminds me of Moon n his first camp in 1984. So smooth!"

"Deshaun is ahead of any rookie quarterback I've ever been around," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien told reporters Tuesday.

"I don't really know how to articulate what I know about him," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said in mid-July, via ESPN's Sarah Barshop. "... All those great ones, the Michael Jordans, the Steph Currys, the LeBron Jameses, the Joe Montanas, the Tom Bradys ... there's a uniqueness to them. There's something to them. Yes, you can see talent. But there's this other stuff that you cannot see until you really get around it every day. And that's what he's got."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725281-deshaun-watsons-impressive-start-leaves-bill-obrien-no-more-excuses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warren Moon was a 5 or 6 year pro and 5 time Grey cup champ by the time he headed to the NFL.  QB's in general are way ahead of where they once were when going into pro ball.

It is tough to eval guys on stacked teams as Watson was but the thing that made me think he was going to be as good as anyone from this past drat class was that he looked very good to me at the combine in comparison to the other QBs.  I kept hearing how he had a week arm but his throws looked as good as anyone.

In any case I still don;t mind waiting until next year for a QB, I just wish our front office had gotten a few more higher end O prospects this past draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even hate Watson.  He was the only QB I would have drafted in the first. However, even with these overreactionary training camp reports, Jamal is the right pick 11 outta 10 times.  

Every prospect next year is leaps and bounds better than Watson was as a NFL prospect anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I didn't even hate Watson.  He was the only QB I would have drafted in the first. However, even with these overreactionary training camp reports, Jamal is the right pick 11 outta 10 times.  

Every prospect next year is leaps and bounds better than Watson was as a NFL prospect anyway.  

Sounds like you're really not concerned about this, at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PS17 said:

It would be so Jets-like for him to go on to be a Hall of Famer.

 

John McClain, Houston Chronicle football writer: "I covered Warren Moon from from Day 1 for 10 years. At his 3rd practice, Watson reminds me of Moon n his first camp in 1984. So smooth!"

"Deshaun is ahead of any rookie quarterback I've ever been around," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien told reporters Tuesday.

"I don't really know how to articulate what I know about him," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said in mid-July, via ESPN's Sarah Barshop. "... All those great ones, the Michael Jordans, the Steph Currys, the LeBron Jameses, the Joe Montanas, the Tom Bradys ... there's a uniqueness to them. There's something to them. Yes, you can see talent. But there's this other stuff that you cannot see until you really get around it every day. And that's what he's got."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725281-deshaun-watsons-impressive-start-leaves-bill-obrien-no-more-excuses

For more fun

Screenshot_20170803-182801.png

Cassel - No

Hoyer - yes, him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sounds like you're really not concerned about this, at all

I'm really not.  I love Adams and Watson would not have been the difference between us blowing chunks this year.  It made more sense to roll with what we got, see if Hack is anything, take Adams, and gape ourselves for Darnold/Rosen/Allen/Rudolph/etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sounds like you're really not concerned about this, at all

Also, I would have totally been ok with a trade down to draft Watson, but 6 was way too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Also, I would have totally been ok with a trade down to draft Watson, but 6 was way too high.

I would have been okay with Derek Carr, but Calvin Pryor was clearly the better pick, the BPA,big hitter(even though in the NFL rulse that gets very little) accomplished spare 15 yard penalties) stout defense, DE-FENSE, no weapons, weak OL, BLAH, BLAH, FVKCIN' BLAH, WASH RINSE REPEAT, SUCK BALLS AGAIN. 

 

Rant concluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I would have been okay with Derek Carr, but Calvin Pryor was clearly the better pick, the BPA,big hitter(even though in the NFL rulse that gets very little) accomplished spare 15 yard penalties) stout defense, DE-FENSE, no weapons, weak OL, BLAH, BLAH, FVKCIN' BLAH, WASH RINSE REPEAT, SUCK BALLS AGAIN. 

 

Rant concluded.

Calvin Pryor, to me, wasn't the better pick. I wanted Carr, Garoppolo, or Bridgewater at #18.  I was emphatic about that and how much I hated the Pryor pick.  Arguing with the wrong guy on that one.

The two situations aren't remotely the same with Adams, who was the consensus best player in the entire draft. Especially when you factor in the fact that 2013 was considered a strong QB class and last year was considered one of the worst in recent memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Calvin Pryor, to me, wasn't the better pick. I wanted Carr, Garoppolo, or Bridgewater at #18.  I was emphatic about that and how much I hated the Pryor pick.  Arguing with the wrong guy on that one.

The two situations aren't remotely the same with Adams, who was the consensus best player in the entire draft.

Problem is this franchise wastes high picks on defense without a 2nd thought. They cannot ever pick a QB because...? They have done so at exactly the time when the rules makes defense less important and passing offense very important. Further in economic terms, the opportunity cost is you can get someone as good as a great safety in later rounds, not so much with a QB. The marginal utility of any defender is less than that of a QB.

In short, can we ever pick a decent QB? Why is there always a reason not to, but no so with a DB or DL guy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Calvin Pryor, to me, wasn't the better pick. I wanted Carr, Garoppolo, or Bridgewater at #18.  I was emphatic about that and how much I hated the Pryor pick.  Arguing with the wrong guy on that one.

The two situations aren't remotely the same with Adams, who was the consensus best player in the entire draft.

Jets should have drafted Bridgewater, and even if they were hell bent on not taking a QB, they should have drafted Cooks the WR from Oregon State who is now catching passes from Junior cheat .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Problem is this franchise wastes high picks on defense without a 2nd thought. They cannot ever pick a QB because...? They have done so at exactly the time when the rules makes defense less important and passing offense very important. Further in economic terms, the opportunity cost is you can get someone as good as a great safety in later rounds, not so much with a QB. The marginal utility of any defender is less than that of a QB.

In short, can we ever pick a decent QB? Why is there always a reason not to, but no so with a DB or DL guy? 

Just edited to clarify a bit more but I doubt it made it in on time. 

My whole issue, again, with picking a QB last year is that a.) Because of the investment, we needed to see what Hack could do, b.) The consensus on Watson's QB class was that it was very weak c.) Adding on to point b.) picking one would mean that we'd have to invest at least 3 years into him and none of those guys, to me we're going to really be "game changers" and those are the types of QBs you grab in the top 10.  If we were going to likely suck this year, rookie or no rookie, there was no point in wasting the pick on a QB when the best player in the draft is somehow, again, staring you in the face.  Adams + Darnold/Rosen/Rudolph/Allen/etc. is a dream come true for a team in the middle of a rebuild.  If our Hack gamble somehow pays off and we can go elsewhere next year with Adams and our franchise QB, it's even better.  

The thing is, we had to draft with long term in mind.  With no sure thing in this draft at the QB position, but plenty of those types next year, Adams was the way to go.  It's tiresome but we as fans have to be patient right now. If Hack fails, next year we'll likely finally go get our guy and do so in a great crop of prospects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eh; he might turn out to be the next coming of a great, but lets face it, if this was the Jets we would be hearing how bad he it.

All I am saying is that most team's reporters always report the best; our beat writers like to post the worst. He could be having a great training camp, or it is all hype and fluff. Why don't we watch him in action for a game or two before we get all worked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Water under the bridge, but I wanted us to draft this kid, and I still think he'll become a good solid Pro QB.

I think he will ultimately be a  bust. He went to the best situation in the NFL and I think he will be one of those guys that looks good first year and then defenses catch up to him and he tails off. I have never thought NFL QB when watching the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys Watson was the pick at 6. Like the man said he has intangibles that are not apparent at first. All he did at Clemson was win. You can't teach that,and all the goods ones have it.
I am happy with Adams and think he will be a great player for us. Yet, we didn't need to take another D player with the first pick AGAIN.
You can take it to the bank McCown will have his best year as a pro and we will win just enough games to not have a shot at any of the young guns coming out next year. Typically J.E.T.S !!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Blaine Gabbert quickly impresses Jaguars in training camp

Jaguars%20Camp%20Football_Klei.jpg?itok=
 
Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert throws a pass Saturday during training camp. By RICK WILSON, The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE -- Blaine Gabbert's first week of training camp has included impressive throws, nifty runs and deft decisions, making him look more like a regular than a rookie.

It's exactly what the Jacksonville Jaguars expected when they selected the former Missouri quarterback 10th overall in April's NFL draft.

Seeing Gabbert in person has only reinforced Jacksonville's decision. After not being able to get on the field for three months because of the NFL lockout, Gabbert needed just a few days to dazzle coaches, teammates, front office personnel and fans.

Back-shoulder throws, perfectly placed seam passes and scrambling runs have been among Gabbert's highlights.

 

"He's got a great skill set in terms of arm and size and speed, those things," coach Jack Del Rio said Tuesday. "We think he's got a bright upside. He's got a lot of work to do. He's doing some things now off natural ability, being able to throw the ball that will only get better.

"He's going to get experience, he's going to get time, and at some point, he's going to be a really good player. I think we can all see that."

The Jaguars expect to give Gabbert some work with the first-team offense during the preseason, but Del Rio said nothing he does will change the plan for the franchise's quarterback of the future. Instead, Gabbert will watch and learn from starter David Garrard and third-stringer Luke McCown for at least a season.

"We are in a fortunate situation that we've got two quarterbacks here that we know can play in this league," Del Rio said. "He's not going to get forced into action. ... It may happen around the league. It's happened before. Certainly this is a different year than most, but things like that occur.

"Sometimes guys, the best at their position, they end up playing. But is that a likely scenario? It's not one we envision. It's not one we're looking for at all. In fact, we've said many times over David's our guy and we have a capable backup in Luke and we're going to bring Blaine along."

Garrard, Gabbert and the rest of the Jaguars insist the team's quarterback dynamic is a healthy one, with everyone comfortable in their roles and no one second-guessing any decisions.

"Dave's the starting quarterback," Gabbert said. "He's a heck of a football player. People say he's not, that's wrong. Some of the throws he can make and makes on a daily basis are extremely impressive. ... Although I'm a competitor and I'm going to go out there and play the best I can and play to the best of my ability, David is the starting quarterback of this football team."

Garrard completed 64.5 percent of his passes in 2010, setting a franchise record with 23 touchdowns passes but also throwing a career-high 15 interceptions. He was sacked 33 times, lost four of his 11 fumbles and questioned by people inside and outside the building.

Garrard had some of the best games of his nine-year career, but also endured some of the worst. The Jaguars responded by drafting a quarterback for the first time since 2003.

Gabbert threw 40 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions as a two-year starter at Missouri. He might be in a better position to vie for playing time in Jacksonville had he gone through minicamp, organized team activities and been able to work with assistant coaches all summer. Instead, he might have to wait for his shot.

"Everybody wants to play, but whatever is best for this football team that's what the coaches are going to do," Gabbert said. "You guys give Dave a hard time. He's a hell of a quarterback and it's fun watching him play because the throws he makes very few people in the world can make those. Having that chance to learn from him, watch his footwork, watch how he plays the game, is very valuable to me."

Gabbert might be able to pass along some tips himself.

Coaches and teammates rave about his arm strength, pocket presence, situational awareness and speed. His demeanor, too.

"This is a very good spot for him," cornerback Rashean Mathis said. "He's around a proven veteran that knows how to win games, who's been through the flood as well. He can learn a lot. I know all players coming into the league want to play right away, but I think he has that positive attitude that if this is his year to sit, he's going to soak up as much as he can. His attitude is great and he's in a prime position."

Still better than any QB Mac has ever drafted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T0mShane said:

The choice wasn't between Watson or Adams. It was between Watson or Darnold/Rosen/Allen, etc. If they took Watson this year, it would preclude them from drafting the QB next year, and Watson's skill set wasn't good enough to justify that gamble, imo.

Nothing is guaranteed next year what was guaranteed was Watson could have been a NY Jet he was on the board when the Jets picked at 6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The choice wasn't between Watson or Adams. It was between Watson or Darnold/Rosen/Allen, etc. If they took Watson this year, it would preclude them from drafting the QB next year, and Watson's skill set wasn't good enough to justify that gamble, imo.

Holy sh*t, we agree on something.

 

 

 

Kiss me.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nothing is guaranteed next year what was guaranteed was Watson could have been a NY Jet he was on the board when the Jets picked at 6. 

The only way we miss out on a franchise QB next year is by, literally, not having a first round draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×