Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

PS17

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So the Jets finish 4-12,5-11 0r 6-10 they guaranteed to get 1 of the top QB's? 

Given how many 1st round talents there are in this class and how many teams will realistically go QB???  Yeah.

Right now I have us going 3-13 or 4-12.  If we go anything above that then Hackenberg must've had a good season and we aren't even worrying about this.

At 3-13 I'd put us probably at 2 or 3, with Jacksonville and Cleveland ahead of us at #3 and only Cleveland ahead of us if we pick at #2. So with that in mind...

If we pick 2? Josh Rosen all the way.

If we pick 3rd?  It's a choice between Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, and Luke Falk for me.

In the off chance that were picking 1st overall (not impossible but I doubt it) then I see us only picking between Darnold and Rosen.  Most casual fans will say this is Darnold all the way, but if Rosen balls out this year and stays healthy, he is going to make a really hard push to leapfrog Darnold and, IMO, it can happen.  He is cerebral, accurate, and easily has the best mechanics (footwork, throwing motion, release) of any QB prospect I've seen since Luck.  He is as fundamentally sound as Sanchez was coming out and that's actually impressive because Mark had beautiful mechanics.  

Long story short JW12, be patient my friend.  Whether it's Hack this year, or someone else next year, the future isn't that far off.

18 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

The choice was the best player available. That was Adams, and here we are.

Watching Jets fans bitch about players who aren't on the team is tiresome, let alone when its a few days into that players career. I have no clue how Watson or Mahomes or Cook or Howard or any other player turns out, but I do know one thing; we will always miss out on good players because we cant draft them all. The only thing we can do is make good picks at logical times during the draft.

Adams and Maye were logical picks at #6 and #39 at the time of drafting them. Instead of focusing on what some other player is doing we should be focusing on their success or lack their of. I'm not gonna fret over some other prospect doing well, because that's always going to happen.

And frankly whether they do well or not neither Mahomes or Watson were cant miss anyway, not over a guy some billed as the next Dawkins. Get over it.

T0m makes a fair point. But again the slavish picking of defense under any and all circumstances is a joke.It's a big reason this team sucks. 

You can sign a decent safety (or a guard or kicker of punter) off the street. Qb, not so much. And again the rules by design nullify the greatness of most defenders spare pass rushers anyway. And despite all these top defense picks we do not have a keep the OC awake the night before you play the Jets pass rush guy, and spare Leo nobody who scares anyone on this top-pick laden D. 

25 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

The choice was the best player available. That was Adams, and here we are.

Watching Jets fans bitch about players who aren't on the team is tiresome, let alone when its a few days into that players career. I have no clue how Watson or Mahomes or Cook or Howard or any other player turns out, but I do know one thing; we will always miss out on good players because we cant draft them all. The only thing we can do is make good picks at logical times during the draft.

Adams and Maye were logical picks at #6 and #39 at the time of drafting them. Instead of focusing on what some other player is doing we should be focusing on their success or lack their of. I'm not gonna fret over some other prospect doing well, because that's always going to happen.

And frankly whether they do well or not neither Mahomes or Watson were cant miss anyway, not over a guy some billed as the next Dawkins. Get over it.

We've had multiple PLynch looks good threads.  Multiple Watson looks good threads.  A Mahomes looks good completing a pass in shells thread.   

Get used to it.  

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

T0m makes a fair point. But again the slavish picking of defense under any and all circumstances is a joke.It's a big reason this team sucks. 

You can sign a decent safety (or a guard or kicker of punter) off the street. Qb, not so much. And again the rules by design nullify the greatness of most defenders spare pass rushers anyway. And despite all these top defense picks we do not have a keep the OC awake the night before you play the Jets pass rush guy, and spare Leo nobody who scares anyone on this top-pick laden D. 

The defense should be decent this season, problem is they can't be on the field most of the game to be effective and the offense needs to score points. My major concern is Kacy Rodgers I think the man is a moron. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

We've had multiple PLynch looks good threads.  Multiple Watson looks good threads.  A Mahomes looks good completing a pass in shells thread.   

Get used to it.  

Don't forget Blaine Gabbert he looked good early on for Arizona tonight. 

36 minutes ago, Bugg said:

You can sign a decent safety (or a guard or kicker of punter) off the street. 

Thank-You-PNG.png

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But you cant get a young potential top tier talent off the street. We just lucked out and got one of the best overall talents this draft had to offer at a position that was very much a need, and health permitting we might not have to worry about that position for a decade.

We did the smart thing by taking the guy with a higher overall grade in the end. That's what we need to do in the first round, now and always.

8 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

But you cant get a young potential top tier talent off the street. We just lucked out and got one of the best overall talents this draft had to offer at a position that was very much a need, and health permitting we might not have to worry about that position for a decade.

We did the smart thing by taking the guy with a higher overall grade in the end. That's what we need to do in the first round, now and always.

Again, value; a top tier safety is only marginally better than a free agent/later rounder under the NFL's PI and roughing rules. QBs, there aren't many good ones later in the draft. This franchise habitually overvalues defense. May be it's coaching, may be because if a defender sucks it's not as obvious for a while as it might be with a QB or LT. The only slot on the defense that is not overvalued is serious pass rusher. And despite this insane defense first forever format the Jets do not have that guy. The talent at safety you celebrate simply isn't worth as much as Watson would have been. If you want to say they know they're tanking and Darnold or Rosen will be there, fine. But it's a BS copout. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The choice wasn't between Watson or Adams. It was between Watson or Darnold/Rosen/Allen, etc. If they took Watson this year, it would preclude them from drafting the QB next year, and Watson's skill set wasn't good enough to justify that gamble, imo.

Jets beat the Chargers on a last-second FG to finish 4-12. Watson leads Houston to a division title and an upset road win in Pittsburgh. Darnold stays at USC, Allen continues putting up Hackenberg numbers and drops to the 2nd, Rosen goes #1 overall. The Jets, picking 4th, select Minkah Fitzpatrick.

JETS FANS: wow Macc gets BPA for the 4th straight draft, the plan worked to perfection

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Jets beat the Chargers on a last-second FG to finish 4-12. Watson leads Houston to a division title and an upset road win in Pittsburgh. Darnold stays at USC, Allen continues putting up Hackenberg numbers and drops to the 2nd, Rosen goes #1 overall. The Jets, picking 4th, select Minkah Fitzpatrick.

JETS FANS: wow Macc gets BPA for the 4th straight draft, the plan worked to perfection

wow

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yep

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Again, value; a top tier safety is only marginally better than a free agent/later rounder under the NFL's PI and roughing rules. QBs, there aren't many good ones later in the draft. This franchise habitually overvalues defense. May be it's coaching, may be because if a defender sucks it's not as obvious for a while as it might be with a QB or LT. The only slot on the defense that is not overvalued is serious pass rusher. And despite this insane defense first forever format the Jets do not have that guy. The talent at safety you celebrate simply isn't worth as much as Watson would have been. If you want to say they know they're tanking and Darnold or Rosen will be there, fine. But it's a BS copout. 

So Marcus Gilchrist is only marginally better than Eric Berry?  Brian Dawkins?  Sean Taylor?  That's the type of talent you're getting with Jamal Adams.

All due respect, any answer other than "no" is wrong.  Again, like T0m said, its all about the gamble and whether or not the talent is worth passing on the next 3 QB drafts for him.  Watson wasn't.  The next 2 classes have top tier prospects and drafting one this year wasn't going to stop us from being a bad team and (likely) picking top 5.  Therefore, you take the best prospect in the draft, go through the motions and pick the best available QB next year when they're all actually worth top 5 picks.

34 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

That's a funny way to spell Mason Rudolph/Luke Falk.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So Marcus Gilchrist is only marginally better than Eric Berry?  Brian Dawkins?  Sean Taylor?  That's the type of talent you're getting with Jamal Adams.

In a word, yes. Picking a safety with your top pick in 2017 is in fact crazy. And none of those guys under these PI/roughing rules as enforced is as valuable as a good QB or LT  or pass rusher. You have bought in to this annual stupidity.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

All due respect, any answer other than "no" is wrong.  Again, like T0m said, its all about the gamble and whether or not the talent is worth passing on the next 3 QB drafts for him.  Watson wasn't.  The next 2 classes have top tier prospects and drafting one this year wasn't going to stop us from being a bad team and (likely) picking top 5.  Therefore, you take the best prospect in the draft, go through the motions and pick the best available QB next year when they're all actually worth top 5 picks.

Update to your update; Jets have for a generation have had no problem gambling on defense every time. But somehow using a top pick on a QB is CRAZY. MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD, NAH, NO THANKS, WE WANT TO GET A BIG HITTING SAFETY. WHAT THE F____

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

In a word, yes. Picking a safety with your top pick in 2017 is in fact crazy. And none of those guys under these PI/roughing rules as enforced is as valuable as a good QB or LT  or pass rusher. You have bought in to this annual stupidity.

No shlt, equally talented QBs and S's, the QB wins out?  Problem is when they're not equally talented and you take the QB just because he's a QB and you wind up with a Gabbert.

The stupid theory is that you waste a high pick on a QB because he's a QB and the position is important, not that he's actually worth the pick.  That's stupidity

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No shlt, equally talented QBs and S's, the QB wins out?  Problem is when they're not equally talented and you take the QB just because he's a QB and you wind up with a Gabbert.

The stupid theory is that you waste a high pick on a QB because he's a QB and the position is important, not that he's actually worth the pick.  That's stupidity

Look, they've wasted picks on defenders like clockwork. May be it's time to consider that does not work. Fact is this is  thought process that lends itself to talking yourself into a defense pick.Again, the rules tell you pass the ball and hamstring defenders at every turn. The jets keep overthinking this. 

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Update to your update; Jets have for a generation have had no problem gambling on defense every time. But somehow using a top pick on a QB is CRAZY. MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD, NAH, NO THANKS, WE WANT TO GET A BIG HITTING SAFETY. WHAT THE F____

We took sanchez high. We took Pennington in the 1st. We took Hack and Geno early in the 2nd. We've gambled on QBs, and failed. Mac is opting to get guys like Adams/Williams to anchor the defense and hope Hack develops and if not grab one of the higher graded QB prospects next year. 

The fact is that there were a few QBs taken early this year. What if Watson is a bust and Mahommes is a stud will you complain then? Should we have traded away our next 2 years worth of picks to draft Trubisky/Watson/Mahommes and Kizer? I am sure one of them will pan out, i am sure one will be a bust. Maybe 1 will be Ok. This year's crop of QBs was a total crapshoot. Taking Watson made a ton of sense for the Texans. They have a great defense, weapons on offense and are really  just a QB away from being really good. Watson is a winner and could be just good enough to carry them places. The Texans had no other viable option at QB heading into this year anyway. We aren't in the same spot as the Texans. 

Next years crop of QBs looks far more appealing. 

24 minutes ago, Bugg said:

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No I haven't.  You're missing my point.  I agree with you to an extent.  Of course QB trumps all.  My point is that Watson was not worth the gamble to pass on Adams AND the next few classes.

I'll try and simplify my point a bit.  Let's say Mason Rudolph, one of my favorites for next years but someone who is generally considered a smidge below Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, came out last year instead of staying for his senior season.  This is a guy I would have, and possibly most would have, faulted the FO for passing on for a Safety.  Watson didn't have that type of grade.  Look at the Jaguars right now.  Do you think they're happy about taking their gamble on Bortles right now?  How do you think the Bills feel about the Manuel selection in retrospect?  You think they make that type of move again?  On the flip side do you think the Raiders regret passing on Bortles, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, & Manziel for Khalil Mack?  They were patient, went with the BPA and used value to determine where they selected their next QB.  Now the Raiders nailed it and only had to wait 1 round to get the right guy instead of 1 year, but by not reaching they struck it rich.  You don't reach out of desperation. That's how you end up like the Jags, the Bills and the Browns.

It, more often than not, gets you absolutely nowhere.  My point is the same as @T0mShane.  Passing on Watson was never about whether or not you value safety over QB, it was always about whether or not the QB was worth a top 10 selection and 3 years of passing on more talented guys.  Watson was worth that risk.

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Come to think of it the whole argument is that a B+ QB prospect is more valuable to our team than an A+ prospect at any other position (minus kickers and sh*t, you know what I mean). I cannot agree with that, but I guess some fans desperate for anything at QB wouldn't mind seeing that.

lets play it safe and not be desperate in the first round, I think we'll be happy with the returns.

Whatever the record is in 2017, they will be drafting a QB in round 1.  They'll probably have to trade up to get the "one" they decide they want.  

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

It's the fact that they do it every single 1st round pick, without exception ever since Sanchez.  They even did it twice when they picked Milliner and Richardson in the same draft.  I could stand it if the safety or ILB were an occasional oddball 1st rd pick, but we seem to invest to large a value share of the draft to this position and a couple others to the detriment of glaring needs that continue to get ignored. 

30 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Look, they've wasted picks on defenders like clockwork. May be it's time to consider that does not work. Fact is this is  thought process that lends itself to talking yourself into a defense pick.Again, the rules tell you pass the ball and hamstring defenders at every turn. The jets keep overthinking this. 

Which QB did they pass over Leo, etc that has burned us?  Where did they overthink and lose?  

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No I haven't.  You're missing my point.  I agree with you to an extent.  Of course QB trumps all.  My point is that Watson was not worth the gamble to pass on Adams AND the next few classes.

I'll try and simplify my point a bit.  Let's say Mason Rudolph, one of my favorites for next years but someone who is generally considered a smidge below Darnold, Rosen, and Allen, came out last year instead of staying for his senior season.  This is a guy I would have, and possibly most would have, faulted the FO for passing on for a Safety.  Watson didn't have that type of grade.  Look at the Jaguars right now.  Do you think they're happy about taking their gamble on Bortles right now?  How do you think the Bills feel about the Manuel selection in retrospect?  You think they make that type of move again?  On the flip side do you think the Raiders regret passing on Bortles, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, & Manziel for Khalil Mack?  They were patient, went with the BPA and used value to determine where they selected their next QB.  Now the Raiders nailed it and only had to wait 1 round to get the right guy instead of 1 year, but by not reaching they struck it rich.  You don't reach out of desperation. That's how you end up like the Jags, the Bills and the Browns.

It, more often than not, gets you absolutely nowhere.  My point is the same as @T0mShane.  Passing on Watson was never about whether or not you value safety over QB, it was always about whether or not the QB was worth a top 10 selection and 3 years of passing on more talented guys.  Watson was worth that risk.

You put that more eloquently than I could.

Don't reach, just go with the obvious guy if he's there and keep in mind that's not always a QB, passing league or no.

Also don't trade up for guys you can get if you stay put. (looking at you Chicago)

46 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's the fact that they do it every single 1st round pick, without exception ever since Sanchez.  They even did it twice when they picked Milliner and Richardson in the same draft.  I could stand it if the safety or ILB were an occasional oddball 1st rd pick, but we seem to invest to large a value share of the draft to this position and a couple others to the detriment of glaring needs that continue to get ignored. 

Of all the things you could fault Idzik for, this wasn't one of them.  We ended up with the "best" QB in that entire class in the second round and there was no WR taken in the top 15 worth either selection.  Hindsight says that maybe we should have taken Hopkins but no one really saw that coming.  I didn't even love Hopkins that much and I was a bigger fan of his than most.  Would rather them have done what half of Idziks war room wanted and taken Geno in the first?  That logic is why the Bills traded up for Manuel and look how that worked out.  

Sometimes the "QB > Everything" is the worst move you can make.

35 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

You put that more eloquently than I could.

Don't reach, just go with the obvious guy if he's there and keep in mind that's not always a QB, passing league or no.

Also don't trade up for guys you can get if you stay put. (looking at you Chicago)

Chicago's trade is exactly what happens when you get too desperate.  I still can't believe Chicago did that.  They better pray that Trubisky works out because Chicago fans are still pretty pissed about passing on Adams.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Of all the things you could fault Idzik for, this wasn't one of them.  We ended up with the "best" QB in that entire class in the second round and there was no WR taken in the top 15 worth the selection.  Hindsight says that maybe we should have taken Hopkins but no one really saw that coming.  I didn't even love Hopkins that much and I was a bigger fan of his than most.  Would rather them have done what half of Idziks war room wanted and taken Geno in the first?  That logic is why the Bills traded up for Manuel and look how that worked out.  

Sometimes the "QB > Everything" is the worst move you can make.

there is something not right with EVERY 1st rd pick since Sanchez being defense. 

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there is something not right with EVERY 1st rd pick since Sanchez being defense. 

It is crazy that its been that long. And obviously a lot of those picks didn't work out for various reasons. (frigging Kyle Wilson... we could've had Gronk but picked Kyle Wilson...)

But none of that means we shouldn't pick a defensive player if he's the best available. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I agree.  A GM who decided that Calvin Pryor was better than Cooks, Carr, Garoppolo, Bridgewater, etc. is a part of it. To be honest our bigger problem is not hitting on the offensive players from rounds 2 & forward. From 2010-2011 we had the O-Line, RBs, Wide Receivers, and TEs to compete to go along with the QB we thought was our future.  We supposedly wanted Dez Bryant to help Sanchez before Dallas scooped him up.  We didn't need that much offensive help though.  2012?  I would have went Alshon or Michael Floyd in the first.  That's who I wanted at least.  2013 we took Geno but there wasn't an offensive talent worth our first.  2014 is where I really thought we f*cked up. If half the people here had their way, we would have picked Kevin White in 2015.  2016?  No one on offense that we desperately needed was drafted after Lee. 2017?  We, we discussed that already.

Not going offense 1st round hasn't really gotten us here, poor drafting of offensive players is what got ultimately got us here.

36 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

It is crazy that its been that long. And obviously a lot of those picks didn't work out for various reasons. (frigging Kyle Wilson... we could've had Gronk but picked Kyle Wilson...)

But none of that means we shouldn't pick a defensive player if he's the best available. 

That's the hindsight pick though.  Gronk was a 2nd round draft pick that many felt NE reached on due to his injuries.  I hate the Pats but they nailed that pick.  Plus we had Dustin Keller who built a great rapport with Sanchez.  Wouldn't have made sense for us (then again, in my eyes, neither did Wilson).

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Blaine Gabbert quickly impresses Jaguars in training camp

Jaguars%20Camp%20Football_Klei.jpg?itok=

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert throws a pass Saturday during training camp. By RICK WILSON, The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE -- Blaine Gabbert's first week of training camp has included impressive throws, nifty runs and deft decisions, making him look more like a regular than a rookie.

It's exactly what the Jacksonville Jaguars expected when they selected the former Missouri quarterback 10th overall in April's NFL draft.

Seeing Gabbert in person has only reinforced Jacksonville's decision. After not being able to get on the field for three months because of the NFL lockout, Gabbert needed just a few days to dazzle coaches, teammates, front office personnel and fans.

Back-shoulder throws, perfectly placed seam passes and scrambling runs have been among Gabbert's highlights.

"He's got a great skill set in terms of arm and size and speed, those things," coach Jack Del Rio said Tuesday. "We think he's got a bright upside. He's got a lot of work to do. He's doing some things now off natural ability, being able to throw the ball that will only get better.

"He's going to get experience, he's going to get time, and at some point, he's going to be a really good player. I think we can all see that."

The Jaguars expect to give Gabbert some work with the first-team offense during the preseason, but Del Rio said nothing he does will change the plan for the franchise's quarterback of the future. Instead, Gabbert will watch and learn from starter David Garrard and third-stringer Luke McCown for at least a season.

"We are in a fortunate situation that we've got two quarterbacks here that we know can play in this league," Del Rio said. "He's not going to get forced into action. ... It may happen around the league. It's happened before. Certainly this is a different year than most, but things like that occur.

"Sometimes guys, the best at their position, they end up playing. But is that a likely scenario? It's not one we envision. It's not one we're looking for at all. In fact, we've said many times over David's our guy and we have a capable backup in Luke and we're going to bring Blaine along."

Garrard, Gabbert and the rest of the Jaguars insist the team's quarterback dynamic is a healthy one, with everyone comfortable in their roles and no one second-guessing any decisions.

"Dave's the starting quarterback," Gabbert said. "He's a heck of a football player. People say he's not, that's wrong. Some of the throws he can make and makes on a daily basis are extremely impressive. ... Although I'm a competitor and I'm going to go out there and play the best I can and play to the best of my ability, David is the starting quarterback of this football team."

Garrard completed 64.5 percent of his passes in 2010, setting a franchise record with 23 touchdowns passes but also throwing a career-high 15 interceptions. He was sacked 33 times, lost four of his 11 fumbles and questioned by people inside and outside the building.

Garrard had some of the best games of his nine-year career, but also endured some of the worst. The Jaguars responded by drafting a quarterback for the first time since 2003.

Gabbert threw 40 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions as a two-year starter at Missouri. He might be in a better position to vie for playing time in Jacksonville had he gone through minicamp, organized team activities and been able to work with assistant coaches all summer. Instead, he might have to wait for his shot.

"Everybody wants to play, but whatever is best for this football team that's what the coaches are going to do," Gabbert said. "You guys give Dave a hard time. He's a hell of a quarterback and it's fun watching him play because the throws he makes very few people in the world can make those. Having that chance to learn from him, watch his footwork, watch how he plays the game, is very valuable to me."

Gabbert might be able to pass along some tips himself.

Coaches and teammates rave about his arm strength, pocket presence, situational awareness and speed. His demeanor, too.

"This is a very good spot for him," cornerback Rashean Mathis said. "He's around a proven veteran that knows how to win games, who's been through the flood as well. He can learn a lot. I know all players coming into the league want to play right away, but I think he has that positive attitude that if this is his year to sit, he's going to soak up as much as he can. His attitude is great and he's in a prime position."

Yes, YES. Blaine Gabbert was the only quarterback to ever impress in his first training camp. Him and every other guy that sucked balls. It's the real quarterbacks that look like dogsh*t in their first training camps, which makes me glad we got Hack.

Archived