Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

PS17

Isn't it amazing that every quarterback we could have drafted in the last two years is on a fast track to the HOF, except Hack? It also looks like Gabbert and Glennon have a shot at the HOF too.

Go figure.

Back on thread:

"In many ways, Watson was typical for a rookie quarterback in his first outing: sailing balls high, throwing behind receivers and occasionally overextending plays to the detriment of his offensive line. Some of the work ahead is mechanical in nature – mostly the footwork grind that plagues almost all young NFL passers. "

Charles Robinson

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, thadude said:

Facing the best defense in the NFL well rested.  3 more weeks of preseason plus the season

0.  He had a 0.0 as QB rating.  If that was any of our QBs you would be throwing a god damn sh*t fit.  You freak out over training camp reports.  Now the only guy next to Jay Cutler you spent the entire FA portion of the off-season crying about because we didn't sign looks like a 15 million dollar flaming bag of dogsh*t and you wanna throw out the "da Broncos got da best defense and it's just pre-season" line???

Heeeelllllll nahhhhh. You made this place unreadable with this nonsense for months, you don't get that simple of a cop out.

13 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree as a fan I would be much more interested in this team with Watson over McCown and I would even take it a step further and say Lynch/Watson/Petty >> Watson/Hack > McCown/Hack

Yes, Lynch is losing the battle in Denver but Elway knew he had to take that chance because it is the most valuable position on the field by 10x.  Also agree that you take a QB in the first again next year if needed - trade the runner up and then build the team for a proper SB run

Take Lee and Adams off this defense and teams will still score at will, find a franchise QB and we can live in cap hell after the SuperBowl victory

Lee scares nobody-too small to play the run, cannot cover. Wait for his rookie contract to come up when the Jets' high command suddenly will no longer pretend he was worth a 1st rounder. As far as other teams scoring at will, most defense are gonna fail several times every game; that's the rules and officiating reality. Teams who's offense do nothing all day are worse. And if you want to talk about stats the Jets' defense looks almost okay on paper because teams recognized the offense was a noncombatant and pulled in the horns most 2nd halves in 2016. It will be worse in 2017. 

For all the tough guy defense and top picks nonsense the Jets since the day Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe have beaten the Pats 2 or 3 times when in mattered; the playoff game and Favre's last healthy game. Crazy idea, I know, but MAYBE you might want to try to field as potent an offense once every quarter century or so. The rules kinda help that a lot. But  keep drafting defense and worrying about some other team scoring at will. If you play the Jets, just get to double digits and odds are their offense will shat themselves. 

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

You can pick all the DBs you want, and DL guys, and LBs. Jets have been doing it for years. All of 1 of them, Williams, is player any other team values. But QB at the top, twice in 2 years, is crazy. Right.

Im not defending the 2 Safeties at all, nor the DB's, or DL. I hated most of that crap.....

That said, no team is ever going to take a high 1 QB in back to back years, ever. 

On 8/10/2017 at 0:32 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Then what was stopping us?  Who was a high 1?  The last first rounder the Jets used on a QB was Sanchez.  That was eight drafts ago.  Pennington (18) and O'Brien (24) weren't high firsts.  The only other 1st round QBs we had were Namath #1 overall in 1965 and Todd #6 in 1976.  

If you think a 2nd is "high" for a QB, then how do you draft 2 safeties in the first 39 picks? If they didn't like Watson as a player, fair enough, but Hackenberg sure as sh*t better not have had anything to do with it, just like Geno should not have prevented Bridgwater, Carr or Garropolo.  

Try to keep up, the original point was about taking a QB with a high 1st round pick in back to back years, the rest of this is babbling.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:38 PM, Warfish said:

No, it's really not.  

Repeat this till it sinks it ffs:  If you don't have a Franchise QB, you don't have sh*t.

Be assured, we're not winning a single extra game, in 2017, 2018 or ever, because we drafted two f'ing Safeties.

What exactly are you so afraid of, that some ESPN head will laugh at us?  So what?

I'm sorry, this endless hope and dream that middling 2nd round reaches will solve the QB problem isn't the answer.  it's hoping for a miracle, you might get lucky and get a miracle, but it's doubtful, as our own 2nd round pick QB track record shows.

Watson was, and is, a superior prospect to Hack.  And a Watson/Hack competition is better than anything that involves the word "McCown".

And nothign whatsoever would stop the Jets, sitting at say #2 oe #3 pick next year, from drafting the best QB to fall to that spot and having, for once, a legit competition between legit prospects for the right to QB our team.....instead of a washed up JAG "competing" vs. a guy who may never be more than a shellshocked reach 2nd rounder.

It's almost like some fans don;t want highly rated, well considered big name prospect QB's.  They want a QB to come from 7th round in some sick Brady-fetishist thing.  or they always want NEXT YEAR's big name, never a guy now.  I just don't get it.  What we do doesn't work, hasn't worked for decades.  So do something different.

Yeah, cool story and all. And I don't give a crap about ESPN or anything else, repeat after me: NO NFL TEAM WILL EVER, EVER, EVER TAKE A QB WITH A HIGH FIRST ROUND PICK IN BACK TO BACK YEARS.

For all the Watson lovers:

Source: ESPN.com - Dan Graziano

Houston Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins believes QB Tom Savage should open the year as the starter. 'If anybody should be a judge of quarterbacks, I've played with the most quarterbacks in NFL history throughout my first four years,' Hopkins said. 'So I put the stamp on Savage, and I think that's all that needs to be said about that.'

On 2017-08-11 at 9:04 PM, NoBowles said:

Yeah, cool story and all. And I don't give a crap about ESPN or anything else, repeat after me: NO NFL TEAM WILL EVER, EVER, EVER TAKE A QB WITH A HIGH FIRST ROUND PICK IN BACK TO BACK YEARS.

Washington sold the farm for one QB then drafted another 3 rounds later.  How did that work out?

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Washington sold the farm for one QB then drafted another 3 rounds later.  How did that work out?

Actually, not that well.  In the 5 years since then, they've been to the playoffs twice, have zero playoff wins, and are about to have neither of those QBs on the roster.

I don't think a single franchise in the NFL would sign up to pay what they paid for those 2 QBs, and to essentially have nothing to show for it after 6 seasons, including losing both players.

Maybe that is the point you are making, I may have misinterpreted.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, Bugg said:

Lee scares nobody-too small to play the run, cannot cover. Wait for his rookie contract to come up when the Jets' high command suddenly will no longer pretend he was worth a 1st rounder. As far as other teams scoring at will, most defense are gonna fail several times every game; that's the rules and officiating reality. Teams who's offense do nothing all day are worse. And if you want to talk about stats the Jets' defense looks almost okay on paper because teams recognized the offense was a noncombatant and pulled in the horns most 2nd halves in 2016. It will be worse in 2017. 

For all the tough guy defense and top picks nonsense the Jets since the day Mo Lewis took out Bledsoe have beaten the Pats 2 or 3 times when in mattered; the playoff game and Favre's last healthy game. Crazy idea, I know, but MAYBE you might want to try to field as potent an offense once every quarter century or so. The rules kinda help that a lot. But  keep drafting defense and worrying about some other team scoring at will. If you play the Jets, just get to double digits and odds are their offense will shat themselves. 

The Lee pick was an example of the flaws of Macc's drafting approach.  He tries for BPA and is very influenced by what Bowles needs for his scheme.  It would not surprise me if Woody has a say.

I have stared at that draft board numerous times.  It was not a great draft.  Based on "Kiper"-type ratings when the Jets picked, there were not alot of options other than Lee.

Macc was not going to take a change on Lynch because the Jets did not like him.  

Bowles wanted Lee because he saw Buchanon, but Macc needed to steer him more to Cravens or Jones.

The three top receivers were available there, but the Jets did not like them.  I do not believe any of them has risen to anything yet.

I think in retrospect to right pick there was Ifedi or Artie Burns.  Who picked Burns-the Steelers, a team pretty good at drafting.  The Jets had Cromartie and Revis, so that may have discouraged them from picking Burns.   But there is no screaming better pick than Lee, at the current moment.

There were alot of good players picked after Hack in the second, so hopefully Hack turns out into something.  He does have trade value if he is decent, if the Jets pick another QB.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Washington made the playoffs with RG III and then ruined him.   They then had another QB they picked and developed who someone will pay $20mm.  If they managed that situation better, they would have a franchise QB.  So I think in retrospect the Redskins were smart in picking the 2 QBs, at the time.  Hindsight is hard.  

14 hours ago, NoBowles said:

That has literally zero to do with my point.

Really?  

It has happened in the same draft, let alone bsck-to-back years.

with this leagues emphasis going to hell on just one position, it won't surprise me in the least if we see it happen.  But I hear you; it shouldn't happen because you typically need about three years to see what to see what you have

16 hours ago, varjet said:

The Lee pick was an example of the flaws of Macc's drafting approach.  He tries for BPA and is very influenced by what Bowles needs for his scheme.  It would not surprise me if Woody has a say.

I have stared at that draft board numerous times.  It was not a great draft.  Based on "Kiper"-type ratings when the Jets picked, there were not alot of options other than Lee.

Macc was not going to take a change on Lynch because the Jets did not like him.  

Bowles wanted Lee because he saw Buchanon, but Macc needed to steer him more to Cravens or Jones.

The three top receivers were available there, but the Jets did not like them.  I do not believe any of them has risen to anything yet.

I think in retrospect to right pick there was Ifedi or Artie Burns.  Who picked Burns-the Steelers, a team pretty good at drafting.  The Jets had Cromartie and Revis, so that may have discouraged them from picking Burns.   But there is no screaming better pick than Lee, at the current moment.

There were alot of good players picked after Hack in the second, so hopefully Hack turns out into something.  He does have trade value if he is decent, if the Jets pick another QB.

Washington made the playoffs with RG III and then ruined him.   They then had another QB they picked and developed who someone will pay $20mm.  If they managed that situation better, they would have a franchise QB.  So I think in retrospect the Redskins were smart in picking the 2 QBs, at the time.  Hindsight is hard.  

We needed to get faster on defense, particularly at LB and Lee filled that need.  What input could woody possibly have had on that pick?  Was a first round coverage LB going to sell tickets?

Secondly, what GM isnt influenced by what their coach needs - that statement makes absolutely no sense.  The falcons, who everyone now thinks are the genius franchise of the league, had a puff piece out last year about Quinn and Dimitroff/Pioli and meeting to discuss the exact players that Quinn wanted.  The GM and Coach have to be on the same page in that department and if Lee was the BPA AND he filled a need for Bowles, then why wouldn't we make that pick?

Lets give lee the 2017 season before declaring him a bust too.

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Really?  

It has happened in the same draft, let alone bsck-to-back years.

with this leagues emphasis going to hell on just one position, it won't surprise me in the least if we see it happen.  But I hear you; it shouldn't happen because you typically need about three years to see what to see what you have

Your still completely missing the point of my post

On 8/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, NoBowles said:

Im not defending the 2 Safeties at all, nor the DB's, or DL. I hated most of that crap.....

That said, no team is ever going to take a high 1 QB in back to back years, ever. 

Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.  And I can't quite remember but I'm fairly sure those Cowboy teams did okay.

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.  And I can't quite remember but I'm fairly sure those Cowboy teams did okay.

You simply don't understand the meaning of never, lol.

Not only that, but there was good reason to expect that supplemental pick to be top 10 at worst; this was back before the NFL had free agency, so it's not like a team could simply decide to spend its way to extra wins. Not only that, but it was before the Herschel Walker trade, so at the time JJ believed he was giving up his only 1st rounder - again, likely a high 1st rounder - the following year.

The point isn't how great the Walsh pick turned out; the very point was to take 2 of them with the hopes that one of them turned out ok. One of them did.

It's all in peoples' heads that it's nutty to take 2 of them in subsequent drafts, but it's totally rational to trade 2 (or even 3) 1st round picks plus 2nd rounders or more, on just 1 QB prospect.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:07 AM, BCJet said:

We needed to get faster on defense, particularly at LB and Lee filled that need.  What input could woody possibly have had on that pick?  Was a first round coverage LB going to sell tickets?

Secondly, what GM isnt influenced by what their coach needs - that statement makes absolutely no sense.  The falcons, who everyone now thinks are the genius franchise of the league, had a puff piece out last year about Quinn and Dimitroff/Pioli and meeting to discuss the exact players that Quinn wanted.  The GM and Coach have to be on the same page in that department and if Lee was the BPA AND he filled a need for Bowles, then why wouldn't we make that pick?

Lets give lee the 2017 season before declaring him a bust too.

yeah, i think the bpa strategy has been more than a little overblown and misunderstood.  of course the gm is going to draft positions that fit with the team's playing strategy.  i suppose people can say mac was playing bpa when he picked leo but considering many years were left on both shelly and wilk's contract at the time it made perfect sense to draft a blue chip tackle even though the team had two good ones.  plus teams are running more hurry up offenses and the only way to keep the big guys fresh is to have a bunch of them.

as for watson doing well, obrien is a very good coach.  he's winning with guys like savage and tj yates and even fitz.  maybe watson is just that much better than the others to put them over the top.

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Josh McCown is named the opening day starter we need to get the billboards up and the banners flying over Florham Park. 

Banners will get cheap soon. The fly over the beach announcing $26.99 Calabash Buffet Before 6pm season is almost over. 

2 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Mohomes II is clearly the best rookie QB with regard to performance this off season. Jets screw the pooch again by going defense. They will never beat a Mohomes II team..

Lol Homer

The "II" thing invalidates him

Seriously

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

Watson 3-10. Inaccurate. Cut him. He sucks. Texans got hosed. 

Through two preseason games, rookie Watson has completed 18 of 35 (51%) passes for 281 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions. He's rushed for two touchdowns, gaining 34 yards on seven carries.  His rating is 78.4

Watson has played against the #9 Pass Defense of Carolina, and the #3 Pass Defense of New England.

Through two preseason games, second year player Hackenberg has completed 20 of 31 (65%) passes for 141 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions and 3 fumbles.  He's rushed for zero touchdowns, gaining 12 yards on 5 carries.   He has led 0 scoring drives.  His rating is 74.8

Hackenberg has played against the #31 Pass Defense of Tennessee, and the #16 Pass Defense of Detroit.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Through two preseason games, rookie Watson has completed 18 of 35 (51%) passes for 281 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions. He's rushed for two touchdowns, gaining 34 yards on seven carries.  His rating is 78.4

Watson has played against the #9 Pass Defense of Carolina, and the #3 Pass Defense of New England.

Through two preseason games, second year player Hackenberg has completed 20 of 31 (65%) passes for 141 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions and 3 fumbles.  He's rushed for zero touchdowns, gaining 12 yards on 5 carries.   His rating is 74.8

Hackenberg has played against the #31 Pass Defense of Tennessee, and the #16 Pass Defense of Detroit.

Watson has looked better of the two from watching forget the stats, but both are not ready to play in this league, but if I had to play one it would be Watson.

• 1 month later...
3 years?
Does that mean we have to wait till the END of 2018 before we can "talk to you" about Hackenberg?
If your three year rule is a thing, I guess you're not for drafting a QB next draft, eh?

i'm just saying .. i'd be surprised if Watson and his style last more than 3 years and because of that i agree with passing on him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived