Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

PS17

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the entire replay of that Pats game.  Wow, did this kid look impressive.  He made some absolutely incredible plays and he did in a place where rookie QB's go to die.  And you have to imagine that most of this right now, is just pure raw talent.  Some of the moves he made to create space in the pocket, my god.  Just wait till this kid gets time to really master this craft. Check the play at 5:12.  You can't teach that...and that's game on the line stuff too.  Kid is special.  

**** I wanted this kid sooooo bad. That 49 mph doh.  Ugh

Hes a very talented kid, but he is also not very big. A big part of his game is leaving the pocket, he is one good hit away from being out for a while. RG3 looked at least as impressive early in his career, and had a very similar game, although he probably ran more. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I watched the entire replay of that Pats game.  Wow, did this kid look impressive.  He made some absolutely incredible plays and he did in a place where rookie QB's go to die.  And you have to imagine that most of this right now, is just pure raw talent.  Some of the moves he made to create space in the pocket, my god.  Just wait till this kid gets time to really master this craft. Check the play at 5:12.  You can't teach that...and that's game on the line stuff too.  Kid is special.  

**** I wanted this kid sooooo bad. That 49 mph doh.  Ugh

Watched the game and the replay I honestly I wasnt either way on him during the draft, but damn he looks good so far. Exactly what a franchise has to do to get a Super Bowl. Draft a plug and play QB then win one in 5-6 years before you have to deplete your roster to pay him. By the way, exactly what the Jets won't do. We will win few games miss out on the top tier QBs this year and over pay a free agent. McCown is on the short list of said free agents. 

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Hes a very talented kid, but he is also not very big. A big part of his game is leaving the pocket, he is one good hit away from being out for a while. RG3 looked at least as impressive early in his career, and had a very similar game, although he probably ran more. 

He's not Cam Newton or Big Ben but he's not small.  6'3 220 with a frame to build on and he's a strong kid.  Look at how many tackles he breaks in that game.  You can't arm tackle him.  And he's not like RG3.  He's a much more calculated runner and I think he looks to throw when he scrambles.  Outside of one kind of awkward slide, he avoided taking hits like a veteran RB.  He knows how to protect himself when he's going down.  He barely took a hit vs. the Pats and he ran it a few times. 

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Watched the game and the replay I honestly I wasnt either way on him during the draft, but damn he looks good so far. Exactly what a franchise has to do to get a Super Bowl. Draft a plug and play QB then win one in 5-6 years before you have to deplete your roster to pay him. By the way, exactly what the Jets won't do. We will win few games miss out on the top tier QBs this year and over pay a free agent. McCown is on the short list of said free agents. 

Houston finished 9-7 in 2016.  They traded their 2016 and 2017 #1s to move up to 12 to pick Watson - it was a pick Cleveland got from Philly for moving up in 2016 for Wentz.  Credit Houston with realizing that 9-7 with a sh*tty QB is not sustainable or going to improve.  They cut bait, rather than paying their sh*tty QB another $12M to come back the next year.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's not Cam Newton or Big Ben but he's not small.  6'3 220 with a frame to build on and he's a strong kid.  Look at how many tackles he breaks in that game.  You can't arm tackle him.  And he's not like RG3.  He's a much more calculated runner and I think he looks to throw when he scrambles.  Outside of one kind of awkward slide, he avoided taking hits like a veteran RB.  He knows how to protect himself when he's going down.  He barely took a hit vs. the Pats and he ran it a few times. 

I agree he does a good job avoiding hits, but he runs more than I would like to see a franchise QB run the ball. All it takes is one big hit, which seems almost inevitable when you run it as much as he does. All that said, I have always liked him, and he's doing what I thought he would do in the NFL. My biggest question has always been how long will he do it. 

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was in the suck for Watson camp last year.  I thought we screwed ourselves out of the sweepstakes and then the draft process started and he was starting to slide.  Couldn't believe we'd actually have a shot at him.  He's a franchise changing talent and character.  The break down of him this offseason was ridiculous.  Literally sh*t I've never seen.  49 mph from Our lad scouts?  What?  Adams and Maye look solid but I've got a disgusting feeling the wet dream only the Jets could ruin is going to haunt us....the Watson/Cook combo for the next 10 years to be set up when Brady retires.  UGH!!!

Anywho.  The Jets never take the guy I want.  Well, that's not true.  I wanted DBrick, Mo Wilk and Coplescoughcough.  Right now I'm in the Rosen camp but I'm sure Bowles and McCown will ruin that hope as well. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Houston finished 9-7 in 2016.  They traded their 2016 and 2017 #1s to move up to 12 to pick Watson - it was a pick Cleveland got from Philly for moving up in 2016 for Wentz.  Credit Houston with realizing that 9-7 with a sh*tty QB is not sustainable or going to improve.  They cut bait, rather than paying their sh*tty QB another $12M to come back the next year.

Maybe if Adams was not there Macc takes Mahomes or Watson.   I am willing to give Macc the benefit of the doubt there, the bet being that they would rather get a spectacular safety and a QB next year (through FA or draft) than draft Mahomes or Watson for the offense they wanted to play, outside in the Meadowlands.

I am not sure that they win that bet, but it was not absurd on its face.

For QB, a Baker Mayfield, although not as physically gifted as Hack, looks like a better bet.

I will not be surprised to see the Jets in the Cousins/Garoppolo Sweepstakes.   

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I agree he does a good job avoiding hits, but he runs more than I would like to see a franchise QB run the ball. All it takes is one big hit, which seems almost inevitable when you run it as much as he does. All that said, I have always liked him, and he's doing what I thought he would do in the NFL. My biggest question has always been how long will he do it. 

Sure and I agree.  You don't want your franchise QB running that much but I think Watson has the ability to be a pocket passer.  I know you hear it all the time but apparently he's a gym/film rat and he's always working on his game.  Some players just have it and I think Watson is one of them.  Who knows what the future holds but I know I wish I was following his career on the Jets.  The fact he's just an incredible human make it impossible not to root for him.  Kid is special. 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maybe if Adams was not there Macc takes Mahomes or Watson.   I am willing to give Macc the benefit of the doubt there, the bet being that they would rather get a spectacular safety and a QB next year (through FA or draft) than draft Mahomes or Watson for the offense they wanted to play, outside in the Meadowlands.

For QB, a Baker Mayfield, although not as physically gifted as Hack, looks like a better bet.

It would have been interesting to see what Mac would have done if Adams didn't fall to him.

I don't know but this offense seems perfect for Watson.  Lots of quick reads and intermediate routes.

I agree.  I have this weird feeling the Jets go all out in FA for a QB and pass on one in the draft.  It's not my preference but that's just what the Jets do.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure and I agree.  You don't want your franchise QB running that much but I think Watson has the ability to be a pocket passer.  I know you hear it all the time but apparently he's a gym/film rat and he's always working on his game.  Some players just have it and I think Watson is one of them.  Who knows what the future holds but I know I wish I was following his career on the Jets.  The fact he's just an incredible human make it impossible not to root for him.  Kid is special. 

Hes a smart, great kid, totally agree. I wouldn't bet against him for sure. 

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

You have to assume that KC and Houston would have been happier to get the Jets pick than the Bills or Eagles/Cleveland pick.  He didn't just turn down Watson/Mahomes for Adams.  He turned down the minimum of a late first (think Jabril Peppers or Watt), a third (Golladay is the name most will recognize, but there were a bunch of DBs taken around the pick) AND a 2018 first.  These are the picks that we are nervous about being used to leapfrog us in 2018.  He has to LOVE Adams to keep that pick.  

He looks like the real deal, I watched that entire game but lets not go crazy, the Pats defense without Hightower is NOT GOOD! Their LBer core without Hightower is absolute garbage this year & it was 100 degrees on that field Sunday. The Pats defense is statistically one of the worst in the league right now.

So yes, he made some nice plays scrambling around but I'm telling you guys that New England defense without Hightower is crap & very, very slow. Watt & Clowney ran out of steam at the end.

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You have to assume that KC and Houston would have been happier to get the Jets pick than the Bills or Eagles/Cleveland pick.  He didn't just turn down Watson/Mahomes for Adams.  He turned down the minimum of a late first (think Jabril Peppers or Watt), a third (Golladay is the name most will recognize, but there were a bunch of DBs taken around the pick) AND a 2018 first.  These are the picks that we are nervous about being used to leapfrog us in 2018.  He has to LOVE Adams to keep that pick.  

Imagine how many safeties we COULD have had?? :)

Funny stat: McCown is 18th in the league with a QB rating of 91.3 - which is better than .....

Watson, 30th with 77.5

Mariota, 24th with 86.9

Dak Prescott, 22nd with 88.9

and... 

.. wait for it...

Glennon, 29th with 79.8

... I realize it is only 3 weeks, but thought it was funny as I was checking out stats during commercial break...

On 8/3/2017 at 5:27 PM, PS17 said:

It would be so Jets-like for him to go on to be a Hall of Famer.

John McClain, Houston Chronicle football writer: "I covered Warren Moon from from Day 1 for 10 years. At his 3rd practice, Watson reminds me of Moon n his first camp in 1984. So smooth!"

"Deshaun is ahead of any rookie quarterback I've ever been around," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien told reporters Tuesday.

"I don't really know how to articulate what I know about him," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said in mid-July, via ESPN's Sarah Barshop. "... All those great ones, the Michael Jordans, the Steph Currys, the LeBron Jameses, the Joe Montanas, the Tom Bradys ... there's a uniqueness to them. There's something to them. Yes, you can see talent. But there's this other stuff that you cannot see until you really get around it every day. And that's what he's got."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725281-deshaun-watsons-impressive-start-leaves-bill-obrien-no-more-excuses

it certainly looks like he's the real deal.  but obrien does run a pretty qb friendly system.  warren moon?  moon had an arm that watson can only dream about.

Archived