Quincy Enunwa Holds Receivers to High Standards

Gas2No99

Quincy Enunwa Holds Receivers to High Standards

MK2_8542-greenberg-thumb.jpg

Ethan Greenberg NYJets.com Contributor

Third-Year WR Wants Unit to Perform Better, Believes in Young Group

enunwa-standards-art-MK2_1467.jpg

Jets wide receiver Quincy Enunwa was disappointed with the receivers’ performance in today’s practice.

“Everybody was,” Enunwa said. “We’re striving for greatness. I know I was frustrated. Tuesday I came out, had a great day and today I didn’t. I put that on myself, especially in the film room. I try to make sure that I can at least create a spark when things aren’t going well like make a big play or hoot and holler. I have to do better and we as a group have to do better.”

(Enunwa Interview after Practice, he showing leadership traits by advocating player accountability and preparedness)

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Quincy-Enunwa-We-Will-Learn-from-Today/390d0791-5599-4bb2-8b16-e0d16fe60101

The offense had its largest install of camp so far, but the third-year pass catcher wants no excuses.

I hate to say that we’re young because we’re all smart enough to know to come off an off-day with laser focus,” he said. “You have to be hyper focused and know what’s going on. You have to be ready for what’s going on. Today was red zone, so it’s one of those days where everything is going be fast and we weren’t ready. It’s frustrating as hell, I can’t lie about that. But camp is where we learn, grow and I think we’re going to go back, watch the film and see what we can learn from.”

Coordinator John Morton makes sure the offense is accountable its their mistakes as players run laps for penalties after receiving an earful. As for the young receivers, “Welcome to the NFL,” Enunwa said. The Nebraska product explained that the group can’t make mistakes, especially in the red zone.

enunwa-standard-art-2-MK2_0370.jpg

The 6’2”, 225-pounder often (Enunwa) tells his receiving counterparts to take Morton’s messages with a grain of salt because he’s showing he cares. 

“I’m very high on us. I think through camp you’ll see guys make plays that don’t have big names or haven’t made a lot of plays in the NFL,” Enunwa said. “The past few days they’ve made plays and that’s encouraging to us. That’s one thing I try to coach these guys on — consistency. It’s not about what you’ve done for me now, it’s what you continue to do throughout camp and the season. We have to make sure we keep consistently getting better, not one good day and one off day.”

My feeling reading the helpful KRL and other updates is that the WRs are going to be a weak point of the team, particularly given the QBs.

These WR picks are going to make Macc look bad this year, understanding that it is a position where players usually start slow.  The Jets passed on a lot of good players to draft those 2 receivers.   They tend to do better with FA WRs than draft picks.  If not for Anderson, Macc's WR effort would be in the soup.   

The fact that Macc signed McCown and not Gabbert does not look good, today.  

I think Mac drafted the WRs he did for 2018 and beyond - its one of the most difficult positions to transition from college to the pros (Decker's first year he had 6 catches - then went 44 and broke out his third year with 85), so these guys need this season to get acclimated to the pro game and pro routes.

That being said, although Im sure Decker is happy to be on the Titans, I dont see why we cut him given the need to develop Hackenberg.  Sure he would take reps away from Hansen and Stewart, but how many reps can one player really steal? 

We are going to have guys in the wrong spots, running the wrong routes, and being a step slow as they "think" through their route or the play all season, and that will make it harder to evaluate a young QB.  Now hopefully these guys do get extra development and can contribute in 2018, but its going to be a real work in progress.

Personally, I hope Jacksonville doesnt get a deal done with Allen Robinson, because he is a player worth throwing some cash at in FA next year.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think Mac drafted the WRs he did for 2018 and beyond - its one of the most difficult positions to transition from college to the pros (Decker's first year he had 6 catches - then went 44 and broke out his third year with 85), so these guys need this season to get acclimated to the pro game and pro routes.

That being said, although Im sure Decker is happy to be on the Titans, I dont see why we cut him given the need to develop Hackenberg.  Sure he would take reps away from Hansen and Stewart, but how many reps can one player really steal? 

We are going to have guys in the wrong spots, running the wrong routes, and being a step slow as they "think" through their route or the play all season, and that will make it harder to evaluate a young QB.  Now hopefully these guys do get extra development and can contribute in 2018, but its going to be a real work in progress.

Personally, I hope Jacksonville doesnt get a deal done with Allen Robinson, because he is a player worth throwing some cash at in FA next year.

I believe that he asked for his release because he just didn't want to be a part of a rebuilding team that was going to stink.  The Jets took the heat for it but I do believe Decker, Marshall and possibly even Mangold asked for their release knowing there not getting any younger and want that last shot at a ring.  Worked out pretty well for 2 of the 3 and I think there's still a chance Mangold will land once a team loses an O-Lineman in the preseason.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

My feeling reading the helpful KRL and other updates is that the WRs are going to be a weak point of the team, particularly given the QBs.

These WR picks are going to make Macc look bad this year, understanding that it is a position where players usually start slow.  The Jets passed on a lot of good players to draft those 2 receivers.   They tend to do better with FA WRs than draft picks.  If not for Anderson, Macc's WR effort would be in the soup.   

The fact that Macc signed McCown and not Gabbert does not look good, today.  

???

That came out of nowhere. Why, because he looked decent against second string players a week into training camp?

46 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

the WRs are going to be a weak spot all year.  There is little talent and no depth.   This team is 1 or 2 injuries away from the clyde gates / greg salas tandem.    

I think everyone is forgetting the most likely fact that ASJ + Bilal Powel will handle some of the relief.

Archived