Green & White Scrimmage Updates 08/05/17

JETSfaninNE

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

My look at how the three Jets QBs performed in the Green & White scrimmage Saturday night:

Ralph Vacchiano 

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The first play of the Jets' intrasquad scrimmage was a false start on the offense, which then went three-and-out on three of its first four drives.

It was a terrible, though hardly unexpected start. But there was a bright side.

It wasn't all downhill from there.

The Jets' offense actually rebounded to show signs of competence, and their top two quarterbacks - veteran Josh McCown and second-year pro Christian Hackenberg - even made a few impressive plays. Overall the Jets' quarterbacks only completed 50 percent of their passes and the offense wasn't exactly a well-oiled machine.

But the offense did score three touchdowns over the final eight drives at MetLife Stadium. It's hardly the stuff of championships. But it was a nice rebound after an ugly start.

"When you come into scrimmages like this against a group you've been practicing against for a while you're going to come against some roadblocks," said the 38-year-old McCown. "But then you're going to find some plays and some areas that maybe you haven't found the rest of the time at camp. That was a little bit of the case here."

"That's what it's all about," the 22-year-old Hackenberg added. "Not everything's going to go to plan. You've got to be able to kind of dig deep and figure out ways to manufacture drives, yards, first downs, things like that. Being able to do that towards the end was great."

Here's a look at how each of the three Jets' quarterbacks performed:

Josh McCown (8 for 13, 113 yards, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception) - After an ugly first drive, he got a huge break when Chris Harper, a third-year pro who joined the Jets in May, broke free down the field when cornerback Buster Skrine stumbled. McCown hit him in stride for a 55-yard touchdown that made his night look better than it probably was.

McCown did throw another touchdown, too - to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins - and for the most part he looked on target and knew where to go with the ball in offensive coordinator John Morton's scheme. The only blemish on his night was when he was picked off by rookie safety Marcus Maye, who returned it about 60 yards for a touchdown (though McCown disputed that Maye actually would've gotten the touchdown if players were allowed to tackle).

Christian Hackenberg (3 of 5, 44 yards, 1 touchdown) - Considering the low expectation levels after not playing last year and having an up-and-down start to camp, Hackenberg was remarkably efficient. His passes were crisp and he didn't make any big mistakes. He looked far more confident than the jittery quarterback from last preseason.

The one negative from his performance is he was sacked three times and clearly seemed to be holding onto the ball too long. That could simply be from a lack of playing in games. It could be a sign that he's still getting comfortable with his reads in the offense, too.

On one particularly play, though, he was able to escape the sack - barely. He made an impressive move to step up in the pocket on his final drive and find rookie tight end Jordan Leggett in the end zone.

"I thought it was awesome," McCown said. "It was a heck of a throw. Those are some of the things that get me excited about Hack."

Bryce Petty (4 of 12, 45 yards) - Petty has clearly been the odd-man out all summer, struggling to get reps and clearly sitting third in the pecking order of quarterbacks. This performance certainly won't help him. He was off target on many of his throws and was able to move the offense on only one of his four drives. And really, he wasn't all that impressive on that one either, completing 3 of 7 passes for 36 yards.

That drive ended with a field goal, which is something, at least.

"(I) had some good moments, had some bad moments," he said. "We had some things to grow from, which is good. … I definitely feel more comfortable out things. A lot of it was just I think I was trying too hard."

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/josh-mccown-leads-jets-qbs-during-green-and-white-scrimmage/246788654

This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about with the Jets QB coverage. McCown throws two TDs and the writer "but actually"s them, destroys Petty altogether, then adds not one but two qualifiers to Hackenberg's performance ("still learning the offense/lack of experience"), then glorifies the one fairly routine play where Hackenberg climbed the pocket and hit the TE in the seam. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

The only thing I disagree with on there is that McCown looks like the best QB.  They all kind of look equal but can you really call a QB the best one when he's throwing the most interceptions in 11 on 11 drills?

McCown also seems to be the quarterback throwing the football down the field.

I've never been one to get in on the media but dude, Hackenberg was bad last night. Like exceptionally bad up until he threw that TD. Any spin telling you that he had a good day is just lying. All the QBs are not good each doing well and then badly or vice versa. That being said Hack was the worst, Petty in the middle and McCown the best but let's not pretend like any of them did anything great. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel said:

Coz is like Cimini's mini-me with his stupid snarky comments - The Jets beat has degenerated to a bunch of trivial school children. Not that they were ever great, but the current cast of characters covering the team is pure garbage.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

The lack of professionalism from the media is what is alarming. They wonder why people aren't reading newspapers. Well maybe act like a professional and maybe people will start taking you serious again. The funny thing is with many of these clowns. They add all these snarky and in some ways insulting comments about players because they think they are funny. But if you become critical of them and their work they get all defensive and start crying about the criticism of them..

100% correct. Our beat writers are, almost without exception, talentless hacks who transparently play favorites with players, coaches, and executives and still end up three hours behind Schefter on every story. On top of that, they all consider the job beneath them, so everything they write is dripping with smarmy condescension, with the unspoken undertone of every story and tweet being lol you losers actually care about this sh*t? The team may be a joke, but the press corps is a sewer.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I've never been one to get in on the media but dude, Hackenberg was bad last night. Like exceptionally bad up until he threw that TD. Any spin telling you that he had a good day is just lying. All the QBs are not good each doing well and then badly or vice versa. That being said Hack was the worst, Petty in the middle and McCown the best but let's not pretend like any of them did anything great. 

I agree with you no one stood out no one is any good we have 3 bums in camp at QB....Bring in RG III or Johny Manzeil to push these slugs. 

If the goal was to actually win games this year, I'd say the Jets should have grabbed Kaep.  At least with the questions at receiver he would give you a running threat.  I don't get the feeling winning games in 2017 was the front office's goal, though.

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

100% correct. Our beat writers are, almost without exception, talentless hacks who transparently play favorites with players, coaches, and executives and still end up three hours behind Schefter on every story. On top of that, they all consider the job beneath them, so everything they write is dripping with smarmy condescension, with the unspoken undertone of every story and tweet being lol you losers actually care about this sh*t? The team may be a joke, but the press corps is a sewer.

Well put.  

I'm looking for just 1 Jets beat writer to follow for info and I can't find one..The only one close to follow for info w/o any snarky comments is Dennis Waszk of the AP. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I agree with you no one stood out no one is any good we have 3 bums in camp at QB....Bring in RG III or Johny Manzeil to push these slugs. 

LOL..Yeah when I think of professional football players Manziel comes to mind...LOL...What a QB room that would be w/that clown in there..RGIII can't run a WCO either

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

LOL..Yeah when I think of professional football players Manziel comes to mind...LOL...What a QB room that would be w/that clown in there..RGIII can't run a WCO either

Agree but hate to say it they both could be better than anything we have.....

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about with the Jets QB coverage. McCown throws two TDs and the writer "but actually"s them, destroys Petty altogether, then adds not one but two qualifiers to Hackenberg's performance ("still learning the offense/lack of experience"), then glorifies the one fairly routine play where Hackenberg climbed the pocket and hit the TE in the seam. 

Holy crap you were right. I apologize for every time I thought you were just a negative Nancy without a semblance of joy in your being.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Holy crap you were right. I apologize for every time I thought you were just a negative Nancy without a semblance of joy in your being.

It could also be true that I'm right and have no semblance of joy in my being.

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trust me if either of these guys were good enough to push for a starting job they would be already in someone's camp doing just that (I actually think in the right system IF he truly cleaned up his off season crap Manziel could play in this league, but not in a West Coast offense WAY to much for him to learn in 4 weeks).

23 minutes ago, Jared said:

If the goal was to actually win games this year .

the way the NFL works, the jets get the same hunk of the TV contract losing 15 games as the Pats winning 15 games. There's no financial incentive to win. 

The Jets exist to be tomato cans, give Brady a couple runs before facing a real QB like Big Ben or Luck int he playoffs. 

There's no plan for the Jets to win. Just not forfeiting they've done their job. 

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but hate to say it they both could be better than anything we have.....

Last week you were shilling Hack.

Now youre back to selling Manziel and RGIII.

Its hard to post this badly 

23 minutes ago, Jared said:

If the goal was to actually win games this year, I'd say the Jets should have grabbed Kaep.  At least with the questions at receiver he would give you a running threat.  I don't get the feeling winning games in 2017 was the front office's goal, though.

Kaep was 09-10 Sanchez, he was fine as long as he had a plethora of great Veterans surrounding him, and a great defense, once it was on him to be the leader he just wasn't good enough, and that's not taking into account his off the field political head ache he brings.

Sadly IF the Jets powers to be thought they had a top 3 D, and a stout OL the best case scenario at QB for just this year, and yes this will sound bat sh*t crazy, but with what is out there, and the system the Jets will run is close enough to be tailored to run it the way he likes it is to see if Brett Favre is serious about wanting to play.  But the Jets OL is not stout, and I don't think the Jets D has the pieces in place to stop teams on offense who utilize the RB TE mis match scheme so this as far fetched as it sounds on asking Favre to come out of retirement is even more far fetched to think the other pieces are in place to think it would work to accommodate what Favre would need to succeed (the WR's are good enough for him, maybe not most QB's but he would make them work if all else was in place).

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

There's a really great piece begging to be written by some enterprising columnist where they spend two days at Jets camp and slap clown shoes on everyone involved in it. Like Hunter S Thompson on the Kentucky Derby. 

*wanted to find a link with the text to the Thompson Kentucky Derby article and I get one and it's Grantland providing an annotated version of the text where they try--and fail-- to out-snark the original and this is the embodiment of Bill Simmons' career 

http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/

I have to say that Cherron Peake looks like he is going to be a real standout for us.  The Jets really did a nice job last night for their fans.  As we transition with our offensive line, I would like to see a mean streak for the running game.  Both Marcus Mae and Jamal Adams made sure that they signed and met every kid last night who wanted an autograph.  These kids get it and it was great to see. 

FullSizeRender 69.jpg

FullSizeRender 68.jpg

FullSizeRender 65.jpg

FullSizeRender 67.jpg

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There's a really great piece begging to be written by some enterprising columnist where they spend two days at Jets camp and slap clown shoes on everyone involved in it. Like Hunter S Thompson on the Kentucky Derby. 

*wanted to find a link with the text to the Thompson Kentucky Derby article and I get one and it's Grantland providing an annotated version of the text where they try--and fail-- to out-snark the original and this is the embodiment of Bill Simmons' career 

http://grantland.com/features/looking-back-hunter-s-thompson-classic-story-kentucky-derby/

I was just thinking, "You mnow what the best magazine feature ever written needs? Explanation and annotation by a bunch of guys who spend their spare time figuring out which of their friends is E and which is Turtle."

4 hours ago, #bman said:

I'm sure there's going to be a WR cast off from another team this Summer that the Jets will pick up, or, they'll need to make a trade. How can you possibly evaluate Hack with Robby Anderson as his now #1 WR. Decker was a pro. We all know they are mailing 2017 in but you still need to have some level of professionalism.

Decker was NOT a pro, thats the whoie point. He was a decent player that was a distraction and cancer and an "all bout me" player. He has no role on a rebuild

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

The only blemish on his night was when he was picked off by rookie safety Marcus Maye, who returned it about 60 yards for a touchdown (though McCown disputed that Maye actually would've gotten the touchdown if players were allowed to tackle).

Blemish is an extremely poor word choice for the worst mistake a QB could make.  Was the rest of his night perfect?  It didn't seem so.  I was on board to sign this guy as a mentor (my friend is a Browns fan and wished he stayed as a QB coach there), but I am completely over this guy going near the field on Sundays.  It'll be a complete waste of time.  If Hack isn't ready, start Petty (who I root for).  I'm exaggerating when I say we are the only team in the league that has QBs that throw interceptions on screen passes.  

Jets_Green_White.jpg

The NY Jets held their annual Green & White Scrimmage on Saturday night at Metlife Stadium. The turnout from the fans was pretty impressive. I didn’t see an official head count anywhere but the parking lot was packed and the lower level of the stadium was pretty crowded. The night was actually a practice \ scrimmage. There was no tackling so that always changes things. A QB can take more chances when he is wearing a red jersey. We live tweeted the night, you can scroll through our feed below and get a full recap of the action including several photos.

Quick Hits

• Marcus Maye intercepted Chad McCown and took it the distance. A very impressive play and a good start for the rookie safety.
  • Chris Harper (WR) continued a strong training camp and had a great night.
  • Quincy Enunwa dropped to the ground after dropping a Hackenberg pass close to the goal line. He fell after trying to get up in what was a very scary moment. The Jets have described it as a neck injury, and Todd Bowles said it is the same injury that kept Quincy off the field during minicamp.
  • The Jets run defense looked good, although like I mentioned earlier when they aren’t tackling it is hard to judge completely.
  • All three QBs had moments that were impressive and not so impressive.
    • Chad McCown continues to get the first snaps in every drill. He had a long TD pass but also the low point of the night (the pick 6 by Maye).
    • Hackenberg wasn’t terrible but wasn’t great. Except for one play, he stepped up in the pocket and threw a 24 yard touchdown pass to Jordan Leggett.
    • Bryce Petty was having a nice night during 7 on 7’s but didn’t stand out during the scrimmage.
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the tight end we have been hoping for, he seems poised for a solid season.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
SIASBqqQyaI

Click here to read the full story...

16 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Jets_Green_White.jpg

The NY Jets held their annual Green & White Scrimmage on Saturday night at Metlife Stadium. The turnout from the fans was pretty impressive. I didn’t see an official head count anywhere but the parking lot was packed and the lower level of the stadium was pretty crowded. The night was actually a practice \ scrimmage. There was no tackling so that always changes things. A QB can take more chances when he is wearing a red jersey. We live tweeted the night, you can scroll through our feed below and get a full recap of the action including several photos.

Quick Hits

• Marcus Maye intercepted Josh McCown and took it the distance. A very impressive play and a good start for the rookie safety.
  • Chris Harper (WR) continued a strong training camp and had a great night.
  • Quincy Enunwa dropped to the ground after dropping a Hackenberg pass close to the goal line. He fell after trying to get up in what was a very scary moment. The Jets have described it as a neck injury, and Todd Bowles said it is the same injury that kept Quincy off the field during minicamp.
  • The Jets run defense looked good, although like I mentioned earlier when they aren’t tackling it is hard to judge completely.
  • All three QBs had moments that were impressive and not so impressive.
    • Josh McCown continues to get the first snaps in every drill. He had a long TD pass but also the low point of the night (the pick 6 by Maye).
    • Hackenberg wasn’t terrible but wasn’t great. Except for one play, he stepped up in the pocket and threw a 24 yard touchdown pass to Jordan Leggett.
    • Bryce Petty was having a nice night during 7 on 7’s but didn’t stand out during the scrimmage.
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the tight end we have been hoping for, he seems poised for a solid season.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

SIASBqqQyaI

Click here to read the full story...

Chad McCown is some Freudian sh*t there

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Chad McCown is some Freudian sh*t there

True story:

1. It has been a long day. :)

2. When I tagged the post on the front page nothing came up for McCown. I was shocked, we have written about him many times.

You think that would have set off an alarm for me. Nope it didn't. I fixed it now though, thank you.

Archived