Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Last year Fitzpatrick this year McCown same sh*t different faces. 

But why put up this endless charade as if the 2 youngsters are any better? The Jets do not have an NFL caliber QB on their roster.

And please spare me the "Bowles only loves veterans" conspiracy BS. Neither kid can / will beat McCown out and earn that job on merit and if you were there on Saturday you'd understand why.

4 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

But why put up this endless charade as if the 2 youngsters are any better? The Jets do not have an NFL caliber QB on their roster.

And please spare me the "Bowles only loves veterans" conspiracy BS. Neither kid can / will beat McCown out and earn that job on merit and if you were there on Saturday you'd understand why.

I never said they were but we haven't really seen what either one has to offer, definitely not Hackenberg who has never taken an NFL snap. 

The Jets should have drafted DeShaun Watson at 6 and ended this bullsh*t once and for all he would be the best QB on the roster. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I never said they were but we haven't really seen what either one has to offer, definitely not Hackenberg who has never taken an NFL snap. 

Methinks come Saturday we'll get a whole lot more evidence as to why.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Here's an honest question would you go out and buy a Christian Hackenberg authentic Nike jersey right now? It's like what? 200$ lot of money right for a guy who's never taken a snap

fans want Bowles to risk his job on a guy they wouldn't even spend 200$ on 

I can't argue with that logic.

I want to. But I just don't see the point.

3 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I can't argue with that logic.

I want to. But I just don't see the point.

Honestly, why would you spend $200 on a jersey, any jersey? I never got the appeal, except for making the NFL and Woody richer, and that has very little appeal to me.

Just now, tuffhand said:

Honestly, why would you spend $200 on a jersey, any jersey? I never got the appeal, except for making the NFL and Woody richer, and that has very little appeal to me.

I also don't like buying jerseys and watching the player go to another team.  I don't want to restrict players earning potential but there needs to be some way to keep players on the teams that drafted them. They sell us on the players, market them to us so we become invested in them, then they cut them after one down year and we watch them go to hated rivals. Stupid.

I would have bought a Harris jersey this year.  It would have been the 4th time I bought a jersey.  (Chrebet, Toon, Mawae)  Now I probably never will. But I do get the allure of the jersey.  I have a couple of cool college jerseys from some fun players.  I have a Vince Young, Ray Lewis, Hershel Walker, Haloti Ngata, and the crown jewel....Desmond Howard.

11 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Look 5 more months and this embarrassing crapfest will finally be over

11 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Can't argue that. I can't remember any time either local team had literally no one I would trust to start 8 games for me, much less a full 16... maybe the mid-90s Dan Reeves Giants teams with Dave Brown, Kent Graham, & a very, very young Tommy Maddox.

In fact, that's exactly who this group parallels and scary thing is that aforementioned Giant group might be slightly better than this Jets collection of QB crap.

1996 Dave Brown would win our starting qb job

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They swapped Fitz for Mccown without drafting a QB this year. Should have just kept Fitz and held onto Decker tbh as they'd both be the best players on this offense. Defense probably wont be awful. The Mccown thing makes no sense at all right now.

Even if you don't sign Glennon you had Kizer sitting there in round 2 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Reports from Camp say that Hack was getting some first team reps yesterday. The plan is clearly to get Hack ready to be a starter. Again, whether that is week 1 or week 5 really depends on Hack's progression. 

i disagree.  the more i watch this plan unfold, the more it seems to me that bowles is not on board with the full rebuild, and he's stubbornly not allocating first team reps evenly between hack and mccown.  woody wants a full rebuild, mccags wants it, a lot of the remaining players there want it, it's their best chance to prove themselves.  you also have bates and morton who can clearly elevate their reputations and careers by getting hackenberg to be even serviceable.  

i think this season will be bowles' last.  forget about whether or not he can actually coach, that's another issue.  i'm also beginning to wonder how much say bowles actually had in reforming the offensive coaching staff.  it's as if he's been neutered behind the scenes, he probably didn't want this turnover on offense, but like rex, when he had to pretend to be idzik's best bud b/c of woody, it's bowles' turn.  the main difference is that woody (and presumably his brother) are into a rebuild.  bowles is out of place, and his ability to influence the process of turning all the key spots to younguns has manifested itself in the one position he still has some say in, the qb.  

Archived