Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Give me a break. The team was a coaching disaster as well last season.

for that statement to be true, that implies a better coach would have gotten more out of the roster

The roster sucked last year and it's even worse this year 

firing Bowles would be like firing a jockey cause the horse is glue 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Yeah - but again, that could just as well be a product of who he had out there - Fitz - a QB who cannot stretch the field at all.  Now he's got a real choice, if the kids can play at all.

He had Geno on the bench all year, who has a very strong arm. I can't say for sure, but I do believe Bowles is a conservative HC, and that is how he would play even with a prolific offense.  I think a lot of guys who consider themselves defensive guys think like this. This is just my belief, and I can't prove any of it.

Just now, bitonti said:

for that statement to be true, that implies a better coach would have gotten more out of the roster

Amazing how you patently ignore how Bowles never made adjustments, mismanaged the clock, put players out of position, rigidly adhered to a defensive scheme that did not fit the talent on the field.  OMG... This guy is a HORRIBLE HC, yet you insulate him with teflon like many did with Rex.  Not to mention the complete lack of player discipline.  THere is no leadership from above and no leadership within either.  He sucks.  They can't fire him soon enough. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is always your stance on coaches. There is a reason why NFL coaches get paid what they do, if they didn't matter, they would make much, much less.

This thread is ridiculous. Who cares what a beat writer says. If Hack or even Petty come out on Saturday and play well, while Mccown sucks, things will change.Like everyone else here,I want Hack to start but I also want him to win the job in camp. If not, he will take over when mccown sucks or gets hurt. Either way, he is getting his chance at some point unless the coaching staff thinks he is an absolute train-wreck. In which case, we are going to be using our high draft pick next year to take a QB. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Amazing how you patently ignore how Bowles never made adjustments, mismanaged the clock, put players out of position, rigidly adhered to a defensive scheme that did not fit the talent on the field.  OMG... This guy is a HORRIBLE HC, yet you insulate him with teflon like many did with Rex.  Not to mention the complete lack of player discipline.  THere is no leadership from above and no leadership within either.  He sucks.  They can't fire him soon enough. 

Your statements are all objective and sometimes wrong.

on the player discipline, he's a Parcells coaching tree veteran and his benching punishment of Mo and Sheldon is more than most NFL HCs would do to their only decent players. A sign of discipline is not preventing players from messing up it's how does the coach deal with it.  They say Dez Bryant hasn't attented a meeting since he was drafted but no one wants to fire the Cowboys coach for not being a hardass. 

On motivation I saw a team with nothing to play for all banged up win a game week 17. Most teams pack it in at that point. 

Let's also remember no one good wants this job. Every year the dum dums want everyone fired but we forget this is a sh*t job that no one with any decent options wants. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This thread is ridiculous. Who cares what a beat writer says. If Hack or even Petty come out on Saturday and play well, while Mccown sucks, things will change.Like everyone else here,I want Hack to start but I also want him to win the job in camp. If not, he will take over when mccown sucks or gets hurt. Either way, he is getting his chance at some point unless the coaching staff thinks he is an absolute train-wreck. In which case, we are going to be using our high draft pick next year to take a QB. 

Also, it has been mentioned, but many ignore...  who really cares who the day 1 starter is?  If they trot Hack out onto the field in week 4, 5, 6, 7 or beyond, then we'll get the chance to see.  I never expected blockhead Bowles to roll the dice on the kifds in September.  We'll all need to wait for October most likely.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is always your stance on coaches. There is a reason why NFL coaches get paid what they do, if they didn't matter, they would make much, much less.

you are right there is a reason why Josh MCCown makes 6 million and Bowles makes 1. Money talks and BS walks. The players are who decides these outcomes, not the coaches. If coaches really determined wins and losses, they'd be getting the Andrew Luck salaries. 

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

He had Geno on the bench all year, who has a very strong arm. I can't say for sure, but I do believe Bowles is a conservative HC, and that is how he would play even with a prolific offense.  I think a lot of guys who consider themselves defensive guys think like this. This is just my belief, and I can't prove any of it.

Yeah, he did have Geno on the bench.  But Geno got hurt almost immediately when he finally did play.  Bowles had no choice but to start Fitz (once signed) and considering the circumstances, I don't think Mac had much of a choice but to sign Fitz.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Time will tell if that statement is true or not. Seems like certain players suck while they are here with Bowles. Kerley seemed pretty good after leaving. Obviously no impact on last season - but Bowles use of talent is up in the air right now.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Your statements are all objective and sometimes wrong.

on the player discipline, he's a Parcells coaching tree veteran and his benching punishment of Mo and Sheldon is more than most NFL HCs would do to their only decent players. A sign of discipline is not preventing players from messing up it's how does the coach deal with it.  They say Dez Bryant hasn't attented a meeting since he was drafted but no one wants to fire the Cowboys coach for not being a hardass. 

On motivation I saw a team with nothing to play for all banged up win a game week 17. Most teams pack it in at that point. 

Let's also remember no one good wants this job. Every year the dum dums want everyone fired but we forget this is a sh*t job that no one with any decent options wants

agree 100% with the bold.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Actually whats amazing to me is that fans claim to have watched the Jets and yet say things as wrong as Bowles never made adjustments. There is nothing more off base that that and even with a passing knowledge of the game a fan should have recognized the adjustments made every week.  

Its amazing the shlt people see when all they can come up with is reasons to fire someone who shouldnt be fired.  Its why you cant find any credible media person who said he should have been fired due to his coaching last season

Just now, RSJ said:

Time will tell if that statement is true or not. Seems like certain players suck while they are here with Bowles. Kerley seemed pretty good after leaving. Obviously no impact on last season - but Bowles use of talent is up in the air right now.

if we are talking about firing anyone, nothing Bowles has done was as bad as Mac's handling of the QB position. ALso his Devin Smith and Darron Lee picks were stinky. Bowles is doing the best he can with a garbage roster. meanwhile any Jets fan on this forum with a magazine could draft better than Mac 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Actually whats amazing to me is that fans claim to have watched the Jets and yet say things as wrong as Bowles never made adjustments. There is nothing more off base that that and even with a passing knowledge of the game a fan should have recognized the adjustments made every week.  

Its amazing the shlt people see when all they can come up with is reasons to fire someone who shouldnt be fired.  Its why you cant find any credible media person who said he should have been fired due to his coaching last season

geez I watched 15 games last year and saw the jets try the same exact things in the second half as the failed first half almost all the time.  If Bowles made adjustments, then they were nearly invisible. 

Just now, bitonti said:

if we are talking about firing anyone, nothing Bowles has done was as bad as Mac's handling of the QB position. ALso his Devin Smith and Darron Lee picks were stinky. Bowles is doing the best he can with a garbage roster. meanwhile any Jets fan on this forum with a magazine could draft better than Mac 

Agree on the picks and Macs incompetence.  But to use that as evidence that Bowles isn't horrible is lame.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Let's also remember no one good wants this job. Every year the dum dums want everyone fired but we forget this is a sh*t job that no one with any decent options wants. 

If they get the #1 overall pick, this is a very attractive job.  Lets not forget, there's only 32 of these jobs on earth, and at most, 4-5 available a year.

Lee is in his second year. Also too early to conclude anything based off of. Smith was a bad pick - but he has also made some good ones. 

Honestly, and I mean this will all do respect. You were defending Dwayne Robertson in his 5th year in the league like he was your big brother - but now you want to write off Mac's picks in their second year? Are you serious?

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Also, it has been mentioned, but many ignore...  who really cares who the day 1 starter is?  If they trot Hack out onto the field in week 4, 5, 6, 7 or beyond, then we'll get the chance to see.  I never expected blockhead Bowles to roll the dice on the kifds in September.  We'll all need to wait for October most likely.

Yup. If it were up to me, I'd be giving Hack 1st team reps. But the way Bowles is doing is pretty standard. I doubt Coughlin/Bellichick would have handled the situation any differently. It's a long season, Hack will get his chance if he proves he is worthy (which could just be being the least worst).

All I care about is getting a clear picture, after week 17, about the direction of our QBs. Either we have Hack as our future franchise QB or we are going all in on next year's QB draft class. 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Russ Wilson
Andy Dalton
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan
Ben Roethlisberger
...to name a few.  They all had their rookie struggles but were all successful in their first season as a starter.  it's not nearly as rare as you are portraying.  

Somehow Russell Wilson, as a rookie, needed 1 preseason game to overtake Matt Flynn

And Flynn > McCown

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

geez I watched 15 games last year and saw the jets try the same exact things in the second half as the failed first half almost all the time.  If Bowles made adjustments, then they were nearly invisible. 

Bowles couldn't adjust his ass to be more comfortable in a chair let alone adjust an NFL defense

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Really? In week one the Jets switched from straight man coverage to zone and back more than a few times to help Revis.  Missed that?  They did the same from week to week to help the secondary.  Didnt help much because of the talent and injuries but they tried and their pass defense did get batter in the final 6 weeks or so.  But they didnt adjust according to fans. 

They moved Richardson around trying to help injured LB group.  Didnt help much but they switched up, doesnt count though.  Played with DL formation and substitutions, but dont count.  Dont know what else could be changed, its football, changes are usually small, schemes are hard to drastically change mid season, its why firing HCs during seasons are not the norm

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really? In week one the Jets switched from straight man coverage to zone and back more than a few times to help Revis.  Missed that?  They did the same from week to week to help the secondary.  Didnt help much because of the talent and injuries but they tried and their pass defense did get batter in the final 6 weeks or so.  But they didnt adjust according to fans. 

They moved Richardson around trying to help injured LB group.  Didnt help much but they switched up, doesnt count though.  Played with DL formation and substitutions, but dont count.  Dont know what else could be changed, its football, changes are usually small, schemes are hard to drastically change mid season, its why firing HCs during seasons are not the norm

Yeah that Sheldon at OLB adjustment worked out really well

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Agree on the picks and Macs incompetence.  But to use that as evidence that Bowles isn't horrible is lame.

just as people say it's hard to judge a QB with no weapons its hard to judge these HC without adequate talent on the roster

Put it another way if Peyton Manning was the QB, is Bowles that much worse (or better) than John Fox? 

just as people say it's hard to judge a QB with no weapons its hard to judge these HC without adequate talent on the roster

Put it another way if Peyton Manning was the QB, is Bowles that much worse (or better) than John Fox? 

You mean is Bowles as good as Jim Mora? The answer to that question is no.

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yeah that Sheldon at OLB adjustment worked out really well

So which is it troll?  Did he make adjustments as I said or not?  The point was he tried and made adjustments, only the troll wants to second guess the move and change the subject because hes once again in way over his head.  Unless your argument is he didnt make adjustments but the one he made with SR didnt work

Go back to trolling threads though

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So which is it troll?  Did he make adjustments as I said or not?  The point was he tried and made adjustments, only the troll wants to second guess the move and change the subject because hes once again in way over his head.  Unless your argument is he didnt make adjustments but the one he made with SR didnt work

Keeping the same QB in after 6 Int's is not good adjusting.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The point was he tried and made adjustments, only the troll wants to second guess the move and change the subject because hes once again in way over his head.

Bowles can't make adjustments.  When he does David Johnson runs for three touchdowns in 1 game because a 290lb DT is trying to play in space

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you are right there is a reason why Josh MCCown makes 6 million and Bowles makes 1. Money talks and BS walks. The players are who decides these outcomes, not the coaches. If coaches really determined wins and losses, they'd be getting the Andrew Luck salaries. 

Bowles makes around $4m per year, not $1m per year, that is a huge difference. Yes, QB is critical, but if coaches did not matter, they would make closer to $1m per year then $4m per year.

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Keeping the same QB in after 6 Int's is not good adjusting.

So you would have benched Namath, Peyton or all the others when they threw 6? 

Especially when you had no one worth a damn to turn to?  

Archived