Dolphins sign Jay Cutler to 1 year 10 million dollars. lmao

Villain The Foe

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the Jets were nothing WITH Namath in the 70s.  in the great late 60s he cost the Jets a div title in 1967, was costing them in 1968 until they scaled back the pass O to limit his INTs. 

I get it, he was probably your hero as a kid but we grow up and can see things clearer as adults.  I loved Ken O'Brien as a kid but as I grew up and better understood the game I realized he was nowhere near as good as I thought.

you just proved my point. Abject ignorance about the game then.  And Kenny O had a great, accurate arm.  But his footwork and mobility was so bad that it undermined his positive skills.  He wasn't a very good decision maker either when under pressure, which was all the time partially because of the OL and mostly because of himself. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dcat said:

you just proved my point. Abject ignorance about the game then.  And Keeny O had a great, accurate arm.  His footwork and mobility was so bad that it undermined his positive skills.  

1967-1969 were our glory years, the AFL East was a joke. the 2 years we won it the 2nd place team was a .500 team, the one year we lost Joe threw it away.

1967:

lost the East division by 1 game to Houston, we tied Houston 28-28.  had we won we win the division on tiebreakers.  what did Joe do in that 28-28 tie you ask? He thtrew SIX Interceptions(yes SIX) including 2 returned for TDs.  our D allowed 7 points and we tied the game 28-28.

let's put that game aside, bad games happen.  

after 10 games we were 7-2-1, Houston was 6-3-1.  we had 4 games to go and were looking good.  the next 3 games Houston went 2-1 and we went 0-3.  In those 3 games Joe threw 6 TDs and NINE Ints.

at Den: lost 33-24, were trailing 33-3 and Joe threw 3 TDs in garbage time. overall Joe threw 3 TDs and 4 INTs

at KC lost 21-7, Joe threw 0 TDs and 2 INts including a pick 6.

vs. oak lost 38-29.  Joe threw 3 TDs and 3 INTs padding stats w/ 2 more garbage time TDs.  

we headed into the final weekend trailing by a game, we needed Houston to lose on saturday then win on Sunday.   well Hoston won making our final game meaningless so what does the great Joe do at San Diego? 4 TDs, 0 INts in big win.  

but he threw for over 4,000 yards!!!!!!(along w/ 28 INTs)

In 1968(the SB season) in the first 5 games Joe threw the ball 172 times(34.4 per game) and threw 12 INts as the Jets were 3-2 losing to 1-12-1 Buffalo and 5-9 denver as Joe threw TEN INTs in the 2 games. the final 9 games?  Joe threw the ball 208 times in 9 games(23.1 per game) and he threw 5 INts the rest of the year and they only lost one more game(the one game they lost he threw it 37 times).

but yeah Joe was the greatest. we were nothing w/o him.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

1967-1969 were our glory years, the AFL East was a joke. the 2 years we won it the 2nd place team was a .500 team, the one year we lost Joe threw it away.

1967:

lost the East division by 1 game to Houston, we tied Houston 28-28.  had we won we win the division on tiebreakers.  what did Joe do in that 28-28 tie you ask? He thtrew SIX Interceptions(yes SIX) including 2 returned for TDs.  our D allowed 7 points and we tied the game 28-28.

let's put that game aside, bad games happen.  

after 10 games we were 7-2-1, Houston was 6-3-1.  we had 4 games to go and were looking good.  the next 3 games Houston went 2-1 and we went 0-3.  In those 3 games Joe threw 6 TDs and NINE Ints.

at Den: lost 33-24, were trailing 33-3 and Joe threw 3 TDs in garbage time. overall Joe threw 3 TDs and 4 INTs

at KC lost 21-7, Joe threw 0 TDs and 2 INts including a pick 6.

vs. oak lost 38-29.  Joe threw 3 TDs and 3 INTs padding stats w/ 2 more garbage time TDs.  

we headed into the final weekend trailing by a game, we needed Houston to lose on saturday then win on Sunday.   well Hoston won making our final game meaningless so what does the great Joe do at San Diego? 4 TDs, 0 INts in big win.  

but he threw for over 4,000 yards!!!!!!(along w/ 28 INTs)

In 1968(the SB season) in the first 5 games Joe threw the ball 172 times(34.4 per game) and threw 12 INts as the Jets were 3-2 losing to 1-12-1 Buffalo and 5-9 denver as Joe threw TEN INTs in the 2 games. the final 9 games?  Joe threw the ball 208 times in 9 games(23.1 per game) and he threw 5 INts the rest of the year and they only lost one more game(the one game they lost he threw it 37 times).

but yeah Joe was the greatest. we were nothing w/o him.

again you prove my point.  Stats from then are not comparable to stats today.  The game has been designed to promote production, yards and points.  Defenses have their hands tied compared to then.  The second you start in with stats from then, you make it patently obvious that you have no clue.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

again you prove my point.  Stats from then are not comparable to stats today.  The game has been designed to promote production, yards and points.  Defenses have their hands tied compared to then.  The second you start in with stats from then, you make it patently obvious that you have no clue.

please explain where I compared stats of his era to today?

and you do know in order to attract fans the AFL made the game wide open to help pass offenses, right?

I get it, you don't have an argument other than you wore Joe underoos as a kid but it would be more fun if you at least tried.

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I know, you had to see him play.  I never saw babe Ruth play but somehow I know he was great but I just had to watch Joe throw INts to determine his greatness.

if Joe was hit today the way he was in his career he'd be dead b/c the players are so much bigger, stronger and faster.

I compare Joe to his peers and he doesn't stack up. you guys are trying to rewrite history, he can't play in this era.  he played in the pass happy AFL era where he was an INT machine and held the Jets back in their glory years of the last 60s.

yes, Joe was just the bestest!  did you know he threw for over 4,000 yds in just 14 games?! did you also know that he threw away the Jets season in that year? Joe had a mediocre career, he was a media superstar but his play on the field did not match that level for very long.  he had flashes of greatness but not consistent greatness. 

As i said your ill equipped to talk about 60s football if you think getting hit,by what it illegal today, by a Raiders DL is easier than getting let down by a DL today.  Today where you aren't allowed to drive a QB down.  You show your lack of knowledge right in this one statement so clearly.  

The bigger question is why you are so hell bent on disparaging one of the leagues and Jets all time legend into a mediocre QB.  is it to prove that you know better or do you save it for the ridiculous argument that Sanchez is anywhere near the comparison to Namath talk that you've tried to sell to deaf ears

Its no wonder that you were the laughingstock of the FinsHeaven forum.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As i said your ill equipped to talk about 60s football if you think getting hit,by what it illegal today, by a Raiders DL is easier than getting let down by a DL today.  Today where you aren't allowed to drive a QB down.  You show your lack of knowledge right in this one statement so clearly.  

The bigger question is why you are so hell bent on disparaging one of the leagues and Jets all time legend into a mediocre QB.  is it to prove that you know better or do you save it for the ridiculous argument that Sanchez is anywhere near the comparison to Namath talk that you've tried to sell to deaf ears

he's done this before.  He likes to run his own agenda up any flagpole he can find sometimes notwithstanding what the original conversation was about.  Plus he's wrong almost all the time to boot.  Funny.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have more energy than me! Bravo.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its no wonder that you were the laughingstock of the FinsHeaven forum.  

I hate to have to discuss Namath honestly, it sucks but I am honest.  it's people that struggle to read that have issues w/ my posts or act like I call Mark great.

laughingstock? I was one of the best posters there for many, many years.  they had new ownership that just wanted homers and the place changed. it used to be a great site.

instead of bashing me why don't you just take notes and learn?

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

he's done this before.  He likes to run his own agenda up any flagpole he can find sometimes notwithstanding what the original conversation was about.  Plus he's wrong almost all the time to boot.  Funny.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You have more energy than me! Bravo.

You guys really have posted quite compelling arguments.  that's a heck of an argument telling me how great Joe was w/ nothing to back it up.  Nice job!

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I hate to have to discuss Namath honestly, it sucks but I am honest.  it's people that struggle to read that have issues w/ my posts or act like I call Mark great.

laughingstock? I was one of the best posters there for many, many years.  they had new ownership that just wanted homers and the place changed. it used to be a great site.

instead of bashing me why don't you just take notes and learn?

Youre not honest, you just dont have a clue.  Sad but true.

You were a clown on a Fish board.  Like the Pats trolls we had here.  Pat yourself on the back, you were mocked repeatedly by one of the dumbest fanbases in the league.  

There is nothing to learn from a so called Jets fan how bashes Namath and praises Sanchez.  One is an all time HOF and the other an all time bum of a QB

Take notes, from you, LOL

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You guys really have posted quite compelling arguments.  that's a heck of an argument telling me how great Joe was w/ nothing to back it up.  Nice job!

You're incapable of discussing.  You think Joe was helped by smaller Dl, you don't know the game.  Its simple

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

LOL..  translation:  "I, nyjunc, bring nothing to the table worth debating".  Nice try.  And this is all off-topic anyway.  Yet another derailed thread by you.  Your M.O. through the years.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Argue? You can't have an argument with one who is so ignorant on a subject.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're incapable of discussing.  You think Joe was helped by smaller Dl, you don't know the game.  Its simple

there you go again w/ your lack of reading comprehension.  you making things up doesn't help your weak arguments.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL..  translation:  "I, nyjunc, bring nothing to the table worth debating".  Nice try.  And this is all off-topic anyway.  Yet another derailed thread by you.  Your M.O. through the years.

yes that is it.  I provide actual evidence while you guys just tell me Joe was the greatest but I have nothing.

Thanks for being a fan, I have no clue who you are.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Argue? You can't have an argument with one who is so ignorant on a subject.

if I am so ignorant it should be easy to show where I am wrong.  Please do.

Just now, nyjunc said:

there you go again w/ your lack of reading comprehension.  you making things up doesn't help your weak arguments.

yes that is it.  I provide actual evidence while you guys just tell me Joe was the greatest but I have nothing.

Thanks for being a fan, I have no clue who you are.

if I am so ignorant it should be easy to show where I am wrong.  Please do.

Its a waste of time, for years youve been proven wrong.  Just this thread and you foolish OL-DL point made you wrong and you keep coming back.  No one ever agrees with you and you come back for more.  Youre a broken record who is never right

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Its a waste of time, for years youve been proven wrong.  Just this thread and you foolish OL-DL point made you wrong and you keep coming back.  No one ever agrees with you and you come back for more.  Youre a broken record who is never right

please have someone read my posts about the lines to explain it to you since you don't seem to grasp it.

instead of hurling childish insults how about you counter my arguments? or at least try, obviously you have nothing or you would post it but humor me by trying.

Just now, nyjunc said:

please have someone read my posts about the lines to explain it to you since you don't seem to grasp it.

instead of hurling childish insults how about you counter my arguments? or at least try, obviously you have nothing or you would post it but humor me by trying.

You dont understand the game.  

Im not insulting anyone. Telling me that Namath was a mediocre QB or that 4,000 yards in 14 games was nothing and the reason for missing the playoffs with in 67 is insulting to our intelligence.  Especially when you point to this nonsense as the reason youre smarter than others.  When the opposite is true.  

I grasp the line talk.  That you didnt know the OL couldnt use its hands or extend their arms to pass defense is on you, not me.  Or about size.  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You dont understand the game.  

Im not insulting anyone. Telling me that Namath was a mediocre QB or that 4,000 yards in 14 games was nothing and the reason for missing the playoffs with in 67 is insulting to our intelligence.  Especially when you point to this nonsense as the reason youre smarter than others.  When the opposite is true.  

I grasp the line talk.  That you didnt know the OL couldnt use its hands or extend their arms to pass defense is on you, not me.  Or about size.  

you don't understand the game, you are impressed by meaningless #s.  4,000 yards is great but when it comes w/ all those INTs and throw away a season what does it mean?  I understand QBs threw more INts back in those days.  That doesn't give Joe a license to throw away a season and it wasn't a coincidence that when he started doing that in 1968 that they adjusted the offense.

again, please have an adult read my posts to you and explain them b/c obviously you are a child that cannot read. you embarrass yourself more and more w/ each post.  you grasp on to some made up line and I guess that may impress the Joe fans but people that understand the game won;'t fall for it.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you don't understand the game, you are impressed by meaningless #s.  4,000 yards is great but when it comes w/ all those INTs and throw away a season what does it mean?  I understand QBs threw more INts back in those days.  That doesn't give Joe a license to throw away a season and it wasn't a coincidence that when he started doing that in 1968 that they adjusted the offense.

again, please have an adult read my posts to you and explain them b/c obviously you are a child that cannot read. you embarrass yourself more and more w/ each post.  you grasp on to some made up line and I guess that may impress the Joe fans but people that understand the game won;'t fall for it.

Please stop already.  

With modern medicine of this day & age, Namath would have been amazing! He was a tough SOB, just go back and watch those playoff games vs the Nasty Raiders back then. He took hits in that game that if players did that to Brady they would be thrown out of the game & all of them would be 15 yard penalties. Mask grabbing & twisting, head slaps by Dlineman on Olineman, Olineman not allowed to grab hold or extend their arms like in today's game. 

Thats just offense! On defense CBs grab & held ALL THE TIME! Just go back & watch some of those old games,lol. A healthy young Namath in this day & age flicking passes to the likes of Deandre Hopkins,lmao. DBs can't even BREATH on WRs in this day & age. Go back & watch how fast Namath would get back, set up & his quick release. Call Al Davis what you want, (yea, he lost his marbles when he got older), but he was a top talent evaluator in his youth & put together some all time great Raider teams. My favorite Al Davis quote regarding Joe Namath, Al went to see Joe throw at a workout before the draft & said it was the first time he saw a quarterback "tilt the field", Al said it looked like Namath was throwing downhill! 

Joe beat the Colts in 1972 with these incredible stats. Talk about AIRING IN OUT, 496 yards on only 15 completions with 6 touchdowns! WTF! Seriously, just let that sink in. It's mind boggling!

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

are there any adults that would like to discuss football? please, I can't take the romper room ramblings from this deranged poster anymore.

Next time you talk to me I'll insult you, ok.  Then you'll cry over it and bring up insults that are in your head. 

Deranged, from the clown calling Namath mediocre.  

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

11 hours ago, jamesr said:

Amazing how a Tannehill vs. Cutler thread descended so quickly into a pissing contest about Joe Namath ... :(

welcome to the world of nyjunc.  Here to derail threads and debate nonsense. 

Actually, I'm glad this thread was derailed. It made me watch that Oakland - Jet 1968 playoff game on youtube where Joe was amazingly tough (taking huge hits,  tackling Atkinson after throwing a devastating nterception), friggin awesome. The short interviews with Maynard and listening to Joe on the sideline gave me chills. thanks for the memories.

Archived