This is 1977

Jetsfanri

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If this is 1977, I'm going to find Lynyrd Skynyrd and tell them not to get on that damn plane!

my girlfriend at the time Jocelyn said "I got us tickets to go see Lynryd Skynyrd" My actual reply  and I still can remember it to this day and still kick myself in the ass for it was "They ain't Led Zeppelin, I ain't going" a few weeks later the plane went down and everybody in NJ became fans and my bandmates started turning me on to them and I have regretted that stupid decision ever since. I did see a lot of great shows though back then

5 hours ago, slats said:

You're all alone in fearing the Tannenbaum along the same lines of fearing Belichick.  

That's okay.  There were plenty of Falcons fans wrong about Brett Favre too.  Not saying Tanny is a future Hall of Famer, but I am saying that his ouster in New York and joining Miami makes a substantive difference.

It doesn't take much to make a competitive team in the NFL.  Look at the Giants two years ago with that pathetic defense and look at the juggernaut they built in just one year, going on two now.  With Mike Tannenbaum in our division it upsets the equilibrium.  It's not a surprise that the Dolphins have taken the Jets spot as the perennial second place team in the AFC East.  They're the ones poised to get a wildcard, not us.

SAR I

4 hours ago, August said:

Wrong, we did not win a Super Bowl nor did we even win make it to a Super Bowl game. We brought in free agents we make a quick run, then the bottom falls out, rinse and repeat. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. I'd rather take a different approach. Draft young players, sign low risk/high reward free agents, sprinkle in a few big signings here and there, use the cap money to reward homegrown talent and build a core that way. No more late prime free agents, no more 9-7, 10-6 records with teams built from free agency. Let's do it the right way for once. 

Stop with the Super Bowl being the end-all barometer already.  To win a Super Bowl you need to make the playoffs and know how to win playoff games-  Tannenbaum built that type of team.  A few breaks in Indianapolis and we go to the Super Bowl, warts and all.

And what you're describing-  "bring in win-now free agents, rinse and repeat", well, that's exactly what worked for us.  Thomas Jones in, he's done, Ladanian Tomlinson in, he's done, just keep bringing in free agents with a season or two of tread on the tires, sign them for cheap money for a season or two, and you've got a Top 5 running back for those 4 years.  That's exactly what happened. 

What you don't understand is that we did it the "right" way for the 2017 NFL landscape back in 2008.  We are now attempting it the "wrong" way.  Patient teams go nowhere.  There are teams with franchise quarterbacks and then there is everyone else, and to be the king of everyone else you do it through free agency, not through the patient drafting of college millennials.  And before you preach about how one has to suck to get a franchise quarterback, even that is no guarantee, Andrew Luck and Philip Rivers aren't doing squat to help their teams, Drew Brees only had one little run, Aaron Rodgers has had a 9 year career with only 1 trip to the Super Bowl, it took a decade for Matt Ryan to show.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Great points SARI. Really good points.

Thank you, JD.

Jets have the best 20 year run in team history, no one notices.  Those that do sweep it under the rug by saying "yeah, but we didn't win a Super Bowl".

Jets revolutionize how to be competitive without a franchise quarterback, no one notices.  Those that do sweep it under the rug by saying "we are terrible in the draft".

The teams that truly succeed in the NFL got lucky and found their franchise quarterbacks.  Patriots, lucky.  Steelers, lucky.  Everyone else has to figure out how to compete without one.  I like the way the Jets attempted that in 2008 far more than I do here in 2017. 

SAR I

19 hours ago, Jetsfanri said:

Ok, I rarely post but I wanted to share some perspective on the team.  Yes, I am showing my age, but this is important in terms of what the Jets management is doing right now. 

The Jets were 3-11 in 1975 and decided to tear or apart and start over post Namath.  1976 wasn't any better at 3-11, but started drafting some cornerstone players (Richard Todd, Greg Buttle, Abdul Salaam). 

1977 was a watershed draft...Marvin Powell, Wesley Walker, Joe Klecko, Scott Dierking, Dan Alexander and Matt Robinson.  Bruce Harper made the team as an UDFA.  All players who contribute for the next 6-10 years.  With all that new talent, they still went 3-11.

1977 was a fun year.  Players developed in front of your eyes, and despite the record you knew things were moving in the right direction.  I will tell you this Jets team has a boatload more defensive talent than anyone is talking about, and we simply don't know what will happen with the offense.

Walker was our leading receiver in 1977 as a rookie (second round draft choice, lining up opposite Richard Caster).  

Bottom line is we don't know what will happen, and no one would have predicted Enunwa would be our number 1 receiver last year.  Losing him sucks, but it's just an opportunity for someone else.

This fan base wants it both ways...always keep the high price vets and go 5-11 or 9-7, but never start over.  I for one am excited about this season, I think we will be surprised.  If not, we get Darnold.

Just some perspective.

totally agree.  i recall that 77 team at least playing like a team as opposed to the previous season's group of old and moldy vets.  but even there the rebuild actually started in 73 when maynard was shown the door.  it took time but those late 70's early 80's teams were pretty good.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agree with you that you have to hit on draft picks, goes without saying.  Where we differ is that for the better part of 20 years we saw the Jets use free agency for immediate need and the draft for immediate need and it worked.  We took Sanchez and Mangold because we needed a QB after Favre and a center after Mawae.  We grabbed Tomlinson/Edwards/Holmes/Jones/Scott because we needed RB/WR/LB.  Bulk buying at a price club.  Immediate relief in problem areas.  None of this slow cooking nonsense.

Tannenbaum was let go because Woody Johnson's failing is that he's a PR machine with a wallet and not a football guy.  When the winds were blowing that the fans were tired of Pennington, boom, in comes Brett Favre.  When a new stadium needed to be funded and the Super Bowl Giants were getting the back pages, boom, in comes Rex Ryan, a trade up to get a QB, and the biggest two-year free agent spending spree in league history.  When the Buttfumble and Tebow caused daily embarrassment on ESPN, boom, Tannenbaum takes the blame and is shown the door to appease the bloodthirsty Mets-fans mob. 

The proper move was to get rid of Ryan, not the young QB and the proven GM/Capologist.   Woody's terrible decision in 2013 to protect a fan favorite head coach is what put us here today.  I have no doubt that if Tannenbaum were still here we'd have continued our string of competitive seasons instead of this sh*t-show brought on by Idzik and Ryan.  Everything Hess and Johnson ever did out of desperation worked.  Everything they ever did as a normal course of business didn't.  Parcells and Tannenbaum turned us from a doormat to a competitor.  Now that they're both gone, we are back to the dark ages.

SAR I

there's some truth here.  the draft is a crapshoot and much as i applaud cleaning out the vets from this team replacing them through the draft will be difficult.  and teams do rely on free agents to fill holes that will undoubtably be left just because the draft is imperfect and the player shelf lives are so short.  i tend to agree about rex needing to go earlier than he did  pf course that's in hindsight.  hopefully mac (or the next guy) will be able to strike a more perfect blend of free agents and draftees.

If there was only one way to build a winning franchise then every franchise would buy that plan and follow it to the Super Bowl.  You make the best of the hand your dealt and you adapt by being shrewd and making smart decisions.  Its called management.  Turning resources into success by getting the most out of those resources.  spreading the cap over several key positions without putting it all into one small group of players.  taking on aging vets at moderate salaries to stabilize a young locker room.  Keeping your home-grown talent satisfied, and developing depth through the roster.  Whether through the draft, free agency, or combination of the two, its about juggling all the assets, managing contracts wisely and molding an identity that sticks with the franchise long-term.  Wiping the slate clean every couple of years is just nonsensical.  And our current GM is doing just that, after our former GM did the same thing a few years ago.  That's the reason this team has the worst roster in the league.  I'm hopeful because I have to be, I'm a Jets fan.  Hope is all I've had for the last four decades.+

On 8/8/2017 at 8:04 PM, Larz said:

Did you guys see Star wars?  I thought the special effects were amazing!!

I hope they make another one!

This weeks' episode of Kojak was a two parter I can't WAIT until Part 2 of Kojak's Days

We just want to win a Super Bowl or 2  or 3 or 4 or 5....and stop being the NFL laughing stock and doormat.
No more old retread bum QB's.
A football minded head coach who understand the game.
A GM who knows what he's doing. 
A team that is competitive week after week, year after year. 

A fine list. My expectations have been driven into the turf. I would like a coach who knows how to properly manage the game clock.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No. I'd rather not have a team filled with 30 plus year old bums that run out of gas come January. Free agency is to put some missing pieces together from the nucleus we developed through the draft. Not build from it. It's how you end up in cap hell. It's how you screw over the future. 

I watch the Jets because one day I know they will win a championship. We've made enough runs in 49 years, we're all sick of that. We all want Super Bowls, anything less than that none of us should be satisfied. 

I'm not satisfied in the way Woody Johnson has ran this sh$t show. He spent a ton of money and got nothing from it. He is left with a team that is left in shambles. All because he thought he could buy all of his problems away. Probably what he has done with everything in his life. 

We NEED a QB. Stop being delusional. All of you. Joe Namath left 41 years ago. So it's been 41 years since we had a FRANCHISE QB. 

We also NEED to build this team the right way. You draft a strong nucleus and fill in the gaps with free agency. No half assing this. It should take no more than 3 years for this. Not 14 or whatever. No one said we have to be the Bill or the Raiders and be stupid. 

Archived