Concern And A Question

KRL

The concern is for Enunwa's career, anytime the neck / spine is compromised in football
it's not a sure thing that the player can come back.  Hopefully the medical procedure
can take care of Enunwa's problem because going down in practice against "air" shows
it was pretty serious.

The question is how much dirt can you throw on a coffin?  As far as the media and one
segment of the fanbase is concerned the team was tanking and would be lucky to win any games.
Therefore stop the fake outrage and panic now that Enunwa is out, a bad team stays bad.  As
one of the fanbase who understands and embraces the rebuild, the one thing I don't want to
see is the team signing someone like Vincent Jackson.  Bringing in a 33-34 WR to take away
reps from younger players shows a lack of direction.  If we are looking to go young and 
develop players stay the course.  No more half measures, continue the rebuild

I simply do not know how we're going to score. We're going to win 2 games this season. Here's our chance to finally get the top pick. 

As for Q, I couldn't careless about the situation the Jets are in. I'm more worried about his life outside of football. From what I have been hearing, it's a 6-9 month recovery table. 

1.) Is this a thing that's being rumored? 

2.) The flip side of this argument is that they're also trying to develop a young QB. and it would be nice to have a receiver on the team who can run routes. 

3.) Having said #2, I'd prefer it if they just kept their eyes on the waiver wire for WR help. Which they need. 

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

As someone who understands and embraces the fact that we have four good players, I also think people who care that one of those players is now out for the year, are stupid

What about those people who want to defend the legacy of John Idzik?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

The concern is for Enunwa's career, anytime the neck / spine is compromised in football
it's not a sure thing that the player can come back.  Hopefully the medical procedure
can take care of Enunwa's problem because going down in practice against "air" shows
it was pretty serious.

The question is how much dirt can you throw on a coffin?  As far as the media and one
segment of the fanbase is concerned the team was tanking and would be lucky to win any games.
Therefore stop the fake outrage and panic now that Enunwa is out, a bad team stays bad.  As
one of the fanbase who understands and embraces the rebuild, the one thing I don't want to
see is the team signing someone like Vincent Jackson.  Bringing in a 33-34 WR to take away
reps from younger players shows a lack of direction.  If we are looking to go young and 

The injury to Enunwa seems to be being used as a way to kill Macc for earlier decisions - apparently we should have kept Decker in case Enunwa got hurt. In that case we should have kept everyone who sucked last year in case their replacement got hurt. Revis, Harris, Mangold, and so on, all got replaced by guys who could get hurt.

What is a bit disappointing is that in the draft we drafted not one but two WRs, and at the time Macc got heat for that on these boards "because we had bigger needs". No-one has since said anything about how good it is that we invested some reasonable draft capital in the position and now we need these guys to step up and show what they can do. We have a lot of young guys with potential, and now the will ALL get a GREAT opportunity to show that potential. No-one is being held back by Bowles sticking with his vets, as there are no vets to stick by. We also have options at TE that can take some of the pressure off our WR corps - ASJ now has even more opportunity to show he belong in the league, and Leggett should see more snaps too.

I'd also say this about the QB evaluation concern ... evaluating a QB happens regardless of the talent around him. Evaluating a QB is not looking at his stats like many message board posters do. Even if we lose all 16 games, we can still evaluate Hack (or whoever plays QB). The last two years all I heard about Fitz was how he was bailed out all the time by Marshall and Decker, and it was nothing to do with Fitz. QBs should be evaluated on how they throw the ball to their WRs, not on who the WRs are. Coaches evaluate players based on what they see from that player on the field, and can judge whether it was the QB, WR, O Line etc that brought success / failure on each play. So QB evaluation doesn't go on hold just because a complementary player gets hurt.

Losing Enunwa is disappointing as he had worked hard to get to where he was, and this will set him back a long way - it could even end his career. But losing him isn't going to be the determining factor in whether Hack can play in this league or not. 

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The injury to Enunwa seems to be being used as a way to kill Macc for earlier decisions - apparently we should have kept Decker in case Enunwa got hurt. In that case we should have kept everyone who sucked last year in case their replacement got hurt. Revis, Harris, Mangold, and so on, all got replaced by guys who could get hurt.

What is a bit disappointing is that in the draft we drafted not one but two WRs, and at the time Macc got heat for that on these boards "because we had bigger needs". No-one has since said anything about how good it is that we invested some reasonable draft capital in the position and now we need these guys to step up and show what they can do. We have a lot of young guys with potential, and now the will ALL get a GREAT opportunity to show that potential. No-one is being held back by Bowles sticking with his vets, as there are no vets to stick by. We also have options at TE that can take some of the pressure off our WR corps - ASJ now has even more opportunity to show he belong in the league, and Leggett should see more snaps too.

I'd also say this about the QB evaluation concern ... evaluating a QB happens regardless of the talent around him. Evaluating a QB is not looking at his stats like many message board posters do. Even if we lose all 16 games, we can still evaluate Hack (or whoever plays QB). The last two years all I heard about Fitz was how he was bailed out all the time by Marshall and Decker, and it was nothing to do with Fitz. QBs should be evaluated on how they throw the ball to their WRs, not on who the WRs are. Coaches evaluate players based on what they see from that player on the field, and can judge whether it was the QB, WR, O Line etc that brought success / failure on each play. So QB evaluation doesn't go on hold just because a complementary player gets hurt.

Losing Enunwa is disappointing as he had worked hard to get to where he was, and this will set him back a long way - it could even end his career. But losing him isn't going to be the determining factor in whether Hack can play in this league or not. 

Nice thoughtful post!!!

1 hour ago, KRL said:

it was pretty serious.

I certainly dont want to see the team bring in a veteran to stunt the development of the younger players.  However my disappointment in Q's injury is that I wanted to see HIS development as a potential #1/2 WR. and now we will lose that.  

I also think it clouds his future as far as contract dollars, and I know there is the  school of thought that "well now we can get him cheaper", but to me that means very little.  I would rather see whether or not he has the ability to be an 80 catch player in the right situation and can handle occasionally drawing extra coverage and paying him accordingly, as that makes other decisions easier when you have a known commodity.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

it was pretty serious.

Not to pick a fight but dont you want at least one seasoned legit NFL WR? If we dont, we arent even giving Hack a chance. Geno may still have never developed but he had no shot with the garbage off the street he was working with.  

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

What about those people who want to defend the legacy of John Idzik?

People defended Schitty.  There are always people so stupid, you have to wonder how they tie their own shoelaces. (not my saying, but a good one)

37 minutes ago, lawyers guns and money said:

Not to pick a fight but dont you want at least one seasoned legit NFL WR? If we dont, we arent even giving Hack a chance. Geno may still have never developed but he had no shot with the garbage off the street he was working with.  

By the time Hack takes over for McCown it's possible one of these guys are playing at a decent level. Personally sans injury I don't see Hack getting much playing time before mid season . 

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

People defended Schitty.  There are always people so stupid, you have to wonder how they tie their own shoelaces. (not my saying, but a good one)

I cant and won't speak for everyone but for this Fatman it's Velcro and the kindness of others. 

It sucks losing Enunwa but we need to stay the path. Although the road might be rockier I think long term in can benefit both Hack and the receivers to be forced to grow together and build chemistry. There is no safety blanket target and that will force Hack to make reads and find the open guy. I think this accelerates his ability to master the offense. I still like our receiving corps, I am no where near as down on our offense as others.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

It sucks losing Enunwa but we need to stay the path. Although the road might be rockier I think long term in can benefit both Hack and the receivers to be forced to grow together and build chemistry. There is no safety blanket target and that will force Hack to make reads and find the open guy. I think this accelerates his ability to master the offense. I still like our receiving corps, I am no where near as down on our offense as others.

Serious question...would you want your son playing behind this offensive line?

camp4.jpg

The concern is for Enunwa’s career, anytime the neck / spine is compromised in football it’s not a sure thing that the player can come back. Hopefully the medical procedure can take care of Enunwa’s problem because going down in practice against “air” shows it was pretty serious.

The question is how much dirt can you throw on a coffin? As far as the media and one segment of the fan base is concerned the team was tanking and would be lucky to win any games. Therefore stop the fake outrage and panic now that Enunwa is out, a bad team stays bad. As one of the fan base who understands and embraces the rebuild, the one thing I don’t want to see is the team signing someone like Vincent Jackson. Bringing in a 33-34 WR to take away
reps from younger players shows a lack of direction. If we are looking to go young and develop players stay the course.

No more half measures, continue the rebuild.

Jets fans are sounding off on the Quincy Enunwa injury in our forums.

IMG_4717-1024x581.jpg

Team trainers attend to a laid out Quincy Enunwa.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fPygjSvP2RA

Click here to read the full story...

3 hours ago, KRL said:

it was pretty serious.

Exactly!  I felt like I was on crazy pills with some of the hyperbolic talk and articles yesterday like Enunwa going down somehow hurt the team from making the playoffs.  This team wasn't going anywhere this year anyway and makes 0 sense to bring in an aging WR.

A lot of beat writers really embarrassed themselves (more so than usual) yesterday on twitter imo

I really hope Enunwa is able to bounce back though, really feel bad for him not just from a health issue but also from a career issue with it being his contract year.  Hope everything turns out OK for him as he is one of my favorite players on the team.

42 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes. He would be rich with all the playing time incentives he would receive.

* Assuming he only played defense.

I agree with the op in principle but we are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel at wr, especially when so far the new draftees have been invisible and over shadowed by street FA's.

There can be a bit of an argument that if you are weak everywhere on offense you can't properly develop a QB.

I think Enunwas career will be up to him if he wants to make that decision to go forward with it after the surgery. Bulging discs issues are usually much better when taken care of with surgery, it's just that most people tend to prolong it and hold off since pain injections temporarily make it better and then they think everything is fine until they make it worse with one wrong move. But hopefully this fixes everything and he's OK.

And I really doubt they bring in any type of veteran WR. It's not as if this move all of a sudden took us out of the playoff race.

7 hours ago, section314 said:

I wouldn't really want my son to play football, however, I do not think the OL is anywhere near as bad as the TC reports would indicate. There are so many moving parts, new system, new blocking schemes, new terminology. players moving around to different positions, etc....Offensive lines develop together through experience, practice and live games. Right now the Jets are not even settled on what players play what positions. Once that decision is made and 1st and 2nd strings established I think you will start to see some cohesion on the OL and for their results to improve. Based on the end of last year, i think we can field a decent OL in the end, somewhere in the middle of the pack. And our DL will certainly have them battle tested.

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

I simply do not know how we're going to score. We're going to win 2 games this season. Here's our chance to finally get the top pick. 

As for Q, I couldn't careless about the situation the Jets are in. I'm more worried about his life outside of football. From what I have been hearing, it's a 6-9 month recovery table. 

i don't think getting the top pick should be any teams reason for tanking, especially the jets.  first off, even if they did they would probably only get 2 bonafide nfl starters from the get go.  and if their top pick is a qb, the chances that guy will pan out is probably much less than that of any other position.  the point is it's no guarantee and if the wrong guys are picked then we can look forward to another dismal season.

right now i prefer to think they have some talent and if the players get coached up and play smart football they will have a chance.  and right now i think this defense has the makings of something pretty good.  offense?  let's see how hack does in real games before casting him out the door. losing enunwa is not terrible from a production standpoint but it's never good to see a player go down and he seemed to be ones of the good ones.

I don't believe a word of this crap from our fans wishing we lose 15-16 games, and wishing we lose with purposeful intent to gain a fantasy draft pick in 8 months. Just look at the reaction to Q's injury. Sheer panic on sports radio and by most of the posters here. Why? Simple. Deep inside your heart of hearts, you all know this to be true - you can never root for your Jets to lose anymore then you can root for the Giants or Dolphins to win, or switch allegiances altogether. Us fans want to win every game, just as these players do, for if they don't, they do not belong in the NFL. I don't know about any of you guys, but I will be rooting my a$$ off for:

Hack & Petty both to succeed and show they can play in the NFL

Seeing multiple TE formations which we as Jet fans have probably never seen before - ASJ is going to have a monster year if he stays in this world and healthy

Speed out of the backfield & on ST's which has been missing since the days of Leon Washington, with decent field position, you never know what can happen. I think we have had the worse FP in the NFL the last how many years?

A much faster, more physical defense led by our safeties and DL, maybe even a defensive TD or 2 this season, and not having to see the back of #24 a hundred times in the first 3 weeks running after receivers to our EZ.

Overall attitude and work ethic improvement and NO-FRIGGIN-BODY quitting on the HC and staff. While I continue to believe that this HC is in way over his head, he does deserve 100% effort and dedication to winning from all of these players - unlike last season. Who the heck knows, maybe he develops into a legitimate NFL HC. If he does, all the better for us fans. Bottom line, no matter how good or bad the HC is, the players are paid way more then the HC is anyway, so it is their duty to support him 100%. 

If nothing else, it will be really interesting to see how the season unfolds...but no way do I believe that one single (real) Jet fan is rooting for an 0-16 season...

12 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I don't believe a word of this crap from our fans wishing we lose 15-16 games, and wishing we lose with purposeful intent to gain a fantasy draft pick in 8 months. Just look at the reaction to Q's injury. Sheer panic on sports radio and by most of the posters here. Why? Simple. Deep inside your heart of hearts, you all know this to be true - you can never root for your Jets to lose anymore then you can root for the Giants or Dolphins to win, or switch allegiances altogether. Us fans want to win every game, just as these players do, for if they don't, they do not belong in the NFL. I don't know about any of you guys, but I will be rooting my a$$ off for:

Hack & Petty both to succeed and show they can play in the NFL

Seeing multiple TE formations which we as Jet fans have probably never seen before - ASJ is going to have a monster year if he stays in this world and healthy

Speed out of the backfield & on ST's which has been missing since the days of Leon Washington, with decent field position, you never know what can happen. I think we have had the worse FP in the NFL the last how many years?

A much faster, more physical defense led by our safeties and DL, maybe even a defensive TD or 2 this season, and not having to see the back of #24 a hundred times in the first 3 weeks running after receivers to our EZ.

Overall attitude and work ethic improvement and NO-FRIGGIN-BODY quitting on the HC and staff. While I continue to believe that this HC is in way over his head, he does deserve 100% effort and dedication to winning from all of these players - unlike last season. Who the heck knows, maybe he develops into a legitimate NFL HC. If he does, all the better for us fans. Bottom line, no matter how good or bad the HC is, the players are paid way more then the HC is anyway, so it is their duty to support him 100%. 

If nothing else, it will be really interesting to see how the season unfolds...but no way do I believe that one single (real) Jet fan is rooting for an 0-16 season...

Defensive TD? I'd be quite happy with a few turnovers here and there from our D. We've been poor in those "splash" defensive plays for many years, despite constantly pouring resources into the D.

Agree with your post 100%. I don't want to see us lose, because it means we're further away from being competitive and the road is longer than you want it to be. But I'm also not fooling myself about our prospects - I'll be more looking for bright spots in all games, win or lose. Those will be the building blocks that will get us to where we want to be quicker.

I also wonder, and have said this before - given that most are pegging us as the worst team in the league, what will that say if we win even a few games? Are those people who said we had no talent going to admit they were wrong? Or will people admit that the coaches did a great job in turning nobodies into somebodies?

Archived