#JetsCamp Report – Tues 08/08/17

Maxman

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Petty will be rewarded with 3 reps tomorrow with the 4th stringers.

If Petty clearly beats out the other two, and isn't named the starter... it sends a terrible message to a young team.

Robby Anderson is now the #1 WR, it certainly seems possible that he prefers Petty given their chemistry and his target share.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Sounds like today was another offensive install day, pushing the ball down the field part of the install which will lead to more wow plays, and INT's for the QB's.

That's a pretty good point. The Beat writers can analyze plays like they would with games all they want and good plays are usually always good signs but we honestly know very little of what's actually being practiced at any given time.

We don't know if they're doing a play call they've gone over dozens of time already or if they're just now executing something for the first time. Coaches will want them to execute the plays the way they're supposed to either way but there's a sharp learning curve coming at them all at once.

Maybe that's the reason they weren't alternating first team reps earlier on. They knew Petty and Hack wouldn't look as sharp in the first couple of weeks so it didn't make much sense to judge them as if they would.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles seems to go the passive aggressive route. I think playing him at OLB was some half-assed attempt at disciplining Sheldon, as stupid and self-defeating though it was 

Is it infuriating to anyone else that Bowles' seems to be lazily taking for granted the only head coaching opportunity he'll ever get?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Is it infuriating to anyone else that Bowles' seems to be lazily taking for granted the only head coaching opportunity he'll ever get?

It has become clear to me that the reason Bowles gets fired for a bad record this year is not necessarily because of the bad record, but because a bad record will lead to a top pick which will lead to a QB being picked, and there is no way that the Jets in the right mind will give a $50mm rookie QB to Bowles.

On its face, the Jets would appear to have a roster that even Bill Bellichick would have a hard time winning games with.  This was a combination of the team pursuing a rebuild strategy, Woody pushing it even further with Harris and Decker, and now Enunwa getting hurt.

But unless Bowles is some type of a miracle worker and gets enough success from this roster to drop them out of the QB sweepstakes, he will be looking for a new job in 2018.  I would think his goal should be to put a good defense on the field, because that at least will get him another job.  For Morton this is a chance to show he has potential-his offense has to look well coached, even if the players are not good.

But there is a difference between a bad roster of over-the-hill veterans, and a roster of unproven youngsters.  Maybe there is a surprise?

I guess the next question is whether Woody trusts Mac to pick that QB.    We will get to that.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He and Maccagnan are treating their jobs like they're interim hires. I don't think either of them are going to shed a tear when they go back to being anonymous underlings.

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What's most infuriating is all of the reps that Bowles flushes valuable reps on a journeyman qb on his last legs. 

let the kids play in practice.  It's their chance to learn and make mistakes and they are being robbed by a buffoon of a hc who has to know the season is lost.  

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

DAMN THAT WAS NICE!!!!!!!!!!!   ITS HACKENBERG OR BUST!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see the offense that the Jets roll out.

Hack is a classic drop back passer.  The Jets could actually make some noise and provide some entertainment if Hack could throw the ball down the field.  

Its the short passes where I wonder how relatively good he is.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

It will be interesting to see the offense that the Jets roll out.

Hack is a classic drop back passer.  The Jets could actually make some noise and provide some entertainment if Hack could throw the ball down the field.  

Its the short passes where I wonder how relatively good he is.  

Good or bad, win or lose  I'm all in on Hackenberg first Petty second keep McCown holding the clipboard where he belongs.

1 hour ago, The Walrus said:

It's so hard to draw conclusions based off the tweets. Big thank you for them however.

It did seem today though that Petty and Hack had better day's than McCown. Despite the picks I'm encouraged that we aren't at Game 1 of the pre season yet and both Petty and Hack seem to be matching McCown and today actually doing better.

The feeling from the first week was McCown was practicing better due to at least his experience. However it feels like this has closed right up. But Petty and Hack need to show it day after day.

You'd think that but NJ.com just annointed McCown winner of the day and downplayed Petty's day to barely even a blip.

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He and Maccagnan are treating their jobs like they're interim hires. I don't think either of them are going to shed a tear when they go back to being anonymous underlings.

That's what it seems like. But with Woody off the grid, I get the sense they may just back themselves into at least 3 more years.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd rather sheldon give the post practice presser.

Richardson is a dumb punk ass. The beat writers will treat him like they did Brandon last yr. they'll always want to stick a mic in his face because they know he'll say anything and write their columns for them. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Because he doesn't have time to deal with an immature dumb punk ass who can't shut up over something that happened 8 months ago? 

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

didn't that train suck last year? 

Yeah...after he spent the first of the season on IR and with limited reps and then started for a team that had mailed it in.  

Fact is, neither Hack nor Petty is showing any worse than McCown so far.

Just put my daughter to bed after a long day of traveling out to Florham Park and watching practice today. A few observations:

1) Of the three QBs, Petty is the best fit in this offense. He looked good today. I honestly don't know why they aren't giving him a fair shot. 

2) Hack is pretty inconsistent. He'll throw an ugly pass that goes incomplete on one play, and then throw a gorgeous 70 yard bomb that falls perfectly in the basket shortly after. Someone on here compared him to Flacco, in that he isn't a rhythm passer. He isn't a dink and dunk guy. He'll miss some short easy stuff, but make up for it with a few big plays. The Flacco comparison is spot on IMO.

3) The receivers are raw, but there is talent there. And Morton is REALLY trying hard to get it out of them. 

4) Stump Mitchell is a f*cking hardass, and I absolutely love it. I think he's an underrated addition to the coaching staff. He was constantly tutoring the young backs. He seems to really like Eli McGuire. Speaking of running backs...

5) Whoever RB #43 is, he sucks. He made a lot of mistakes today. Without Powell and Forte, the RBs are pretty underwhelming. 

6) I don't know what happened to him in Cleveland, but Demario Davis is a different player from his first stint here. In a better way. He was really physical today. 

7) The running game is not going to be that good. I don't know it's because the RBs are not great (didn't see Powell or Forte), or if the O-Line just sucks, but the offense could not run the ball at all today.

8) I was impressed with Jordan Leggett

9) Sheldon may be a headache for the team, but he couldn't have been nicer while signing autographs after practice. Made sure he didn't miss anyone, and was really cool with my 3 year-old daughter. Got a nice photo with him. 

10) Dan Leberfeld has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen. I saw him walk by at one point, and noticed this.  His mug just begs to be shoved through a wood chipper.

9 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

why go through the charade?  why not list petty and hack as both 2nd string?  the players don't buy it so it's just another way bowles isn't being honest.

They're listed by seniority since there hasn't been a determination?  Bowles said don't look into anything. 

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

bowles has had no control of the lockerroom since IK nailed geno, he had no control last year, and now he can't even shut up sheldon when he's the only one talking.  it's a joke.

doesn't matter, he's not the man for the job, he's gone by the end of the season if not sooner.  the next coach will get his crack at developing the new qb(s).

Guess you didn't hear the interview because he sounded nothing like a whiney bitch.  And SR answering a question on a radio interview isn't losing control.  He said it was addressed, with the team and with Sheldon.  He said it more than once, said he wasn't going to discuss BS more than 3 times.  Was asked again and said he'll answer it the same or end the interview.  No whining.  Who friggen cares, what does it have to do with the lockerroom or wins?  Nothing.  Fanspeak

Hes not getting fired at the end of the year and especially if not sooner.  No way he's ever getting fired mid season.  

9 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Just put my daughter to bed after a long day of traveling out to Florham Park and watching practice today. A few observations:

1) Of the three QBs, Petty is the best fit in this offense. He looked good today. I honestly don't know why they aren't giving him a fair shot. 

2) Hack is pretty inconsistent. He'll throw an ugly pass that goes incomplete on one play, and then throw a gorgeous 70 yard bomb that falls perfectly in the basket shortly after. Someone on here compared him to Flacco, in that he isn't a rhythm passer. He isn't a dink and dunk guy. He'll miss some short easy stuff, but make up for it with a few big plays. The Flacco comparison is spot on IMO.

3) The receivers are raw, but there is talent there. And Morton is REALLY trying hard to get it out of them. 

4) Stump Mitchell is a f*cking hardass, and I absolutely love it. I think he's an underrated addition to the coaching staff. He was constantly tutoring the young backs. He seems to really like Eli McGuire. Speaking of running backs...

5) Whoever RB #43 is, he sucks. He made a lot of mistakes today. Without Powell and Forte, the RBs are pretty underwhelming. 

6) I don't know what happened to him in Cleveland, but Demario Davis is a different player from his first stint here. In a better way. He was really physical today. 

7) The running game is not going to be that good. I don't know it's because the RBs are not great (didn't see Powell or Forte), or if the O-Line just sucks, but the offense could not run the ball at all today.

9) Sheldon may be a headache for the team, but he couldn't have been nicer while signing autographs after practice. Made sure he didn't miss anyone, and was really cool with my 3 year-old daughter. Got a nice photo with him. 

10) Dan Leberfeld has one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen. I saw him walk by at one point, and noticed this.  His mug just begs to be shoved through a wood chipper.

lol, great write-up

particularly #10

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, great write-up

particularly #10

Agreed. 

I honestly think this looks like a good draft for Macc.  I think each of the drafts have gotten better.  The first two look meh.  I think the talent pool this year was better.  

11 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Ravens won a Superbowl with Flacco... Just saying... 

7 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Ravens won a Superbowl with Flacco... Just saying... 

I have compared Hack to Flacco before.  Hack got more out of college than Flacco.  Billick coached Flacco up, and the Ravens run a power running game with a strong OL, passes to RBs and WRs and deep passing.   Hack could do that.  Let's see the offense Morton rolls out.  The Jets also lack the other pieces. 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

I have compared Hack to Flacco before.  Hack got more out of college than Flacco.  Billick coached Flacco up, and the Ravens run a power running game with a strong OL, passes to RBs and WRs and deep passing.   Hack could do that.  Let's see the offense Morton rolls out.  The Jets also lack the other pieces. 

Billick never coached Flacco. 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

if hack turns out anywhere near Flacco we will be doing cartwheels.

Archived