Trade idea: Conditional pick (5th/6th?) for WR Jordan Matthews

Jetsfan80

First, let me state that this would NOT be a move to make purely because of Quincy Enunwa's injury, though the fact that his injury COULD be career-threatening does add some sense of urgency to it. 

This is a move I'm suggesting in order to give our future QB (whoever that might be) a capable target for the future.  Without Enunwa, our current top 4 WR's (Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Stewart) have combined for 75 career catches entering 2017.

Here's what we know about Matthews:

* 25 years old

* Has 225 catches, 19 TD's over 3 seasons

* Is 6-3 and can play on the inside or outside

* Could currently be the odd man out in Philly.  They like the progress of Nelson Agholor, who fits better as the slot receiver, and also added Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in the offseason.  For a team that doesn't like to use 4-WR sets, SOMEONE will see their snap count suffer. 

* Matthews will be a UFA at the conclusion of the 2017 season. 

Thus, the Eagles may be willing to sell low on him.  Matthews is more than capable of being a high-end # 2 WR or low-end WR1.  This might be a good time to strike. 

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Don't like the idea of trading anything of future value for a guy who will be a UFA after this season unless you want and are able to sign him to a contract extension.

An extension would be necessary as part of the deal, pretty much.  Matthews is slated to make a little over $1M this year.  Now would be the time to lock him up with an extension, while his value is at its lowest. 

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

First, let me state that this would NOT be a move to make purely because of Quincy Enunwa's injury, though the fact that his injury COULD be career-threatening does add some sense of urgency to it. 

This is a move I'm suggesting in order to give our future QB (whoever that might be) a capable target for the future.  Without Enunwa, our current top 4 WR's (Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Stewart) have combined for 75 career catches entering 2017.

Here's what we know about Matthews:

* 25 years old

* Has 225 catches, 19 TD's over 3 seasons

* Is 6-3 and can play on the inside or outside

* Could currently be the odd man out in Philly.  They like the progress of Nelson Agholor, who fits better as the slot receiver, and also added Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in the offseason.  For a team that doesn't like to use 4-WR sets, SOMEONE will see their snap count suffer. 

* Matthews will be a UFA at the conclusion of the 2017 season. 

Thus, the Eagles may be willing to sell low on him.  Matthews is more than capable of being a high-end # 2 WR or low-end WR1.  This might be a good time to strike. 

Does it occur to some of you that attempting to improve this team now is counter-productive?

So what if Matthews is actually worth one more win?  That could be the difference between picking 1st and 4th.  The Jets will likely have one of the toughest schedules when all is said and done, losing all or most of the tiebreakers for draft position.

Terrible idea.  And not just for the #1 reason listed above.  Matthews is an under-achiever. And the Jets would have to give up a draft pick for a player basically through his contract, and will need a new one soon?  An overpriced one at that.  No thank you....

DON'T SIGN OR TRADE FOR ANYBODY.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Does it occur to some of you that attempting to improve this team now is counter-productive?

So what if Matthews is actually worth one more win?  That could be the difference between picking 1st and 4th.  The Jets will likely have one of the toughest schedules when all is said and done, losing all or most of the tiebreakers for draft position.

You clearly didn't read the post.  He's 25.  I'm suggesting this as move for beyond 2017.  But whatever.  Someone start another thread about Kaepernick or something. 

Meh, I like Mathews and think he's a good player but his presence wound only make a marginal difference.  Let the kids play and reasses at the end of the year.  

The Jets did the QBs no favors all offseason, no need to start now by giving away picks.  

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, I like Mathews and think he's a good player but his presence wound only make a marginal difference.  Let the kids play and reasses at the end of the year.  

The Jets did the QBs no favors all offseason, no need to start now by giving away picks.  

Unfortunately, unless the Jets really think that Hack or Petty could have a future as a starting QB on this team, there is no sense giving up an asset to get him now.

But if they think they have potential, it may be worth having someone else credible to throw to.

Otherwise, the Jets are better off letting the 5+ best receivers they have run routes and try and catch the ball and see what they have there, as they property rebuild.

GangGreen Nation did an excellent analysis of Hack today.  Pretty damning.  Will post separately.

I keep seeing about them looking to trade him.  I want the Jets far away from him.  He doesn't have the most reliable hands, and I would rather not trade away a pic for next year.

I kinda want a "birth by fire" method for our WR corps this year.  Sink or Swim and hope for the best.  See who rises to the top.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Normally I'd agree, but Matthews was a 2nd round pick who has produced what you'd expect from a 2nd round pick (unlike our failures at that spot in the draft).  A late rounder for that would actually be the opposite of giving away picks, it would be like we corrected a past mistake. 

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're fine at WR for what this year is. Just stop.

9 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

No rentals in what is clearly a rebuilding year.  None. That 5th round pick could have value on its own or used as part of a package down the road when the team is, hopefully, relevant. 

Read the original post.  I put it in the first damn sentence. 

4 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I keep seeing about them looking to trade him.  I want the Jets far away from him.  He doesn't have the most reliable hands, and I would rather not trade away a pic for next year.

I kinda want a "birth by fire" method for our WR corps this year.  Sink or Swim and hope for the best.  See who rises to the top.

3 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Also being in PA, and most of my friends being Eagles fans, there isn't many nice things being said about Matthews haha

This is fair.  I can understand this line of thinking too. 

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Terrible idea.  And not just for the #1 reason listed above.  Matthews is an under-achiever. And the Jets would have to give up a draft pick for a player basically through his contract, and will need a new one soon?  An overpriced one at that.  No thank you....

DON'T SIGN OR TRADE FOR ANYBODY.

Another who doesn't get how teams are run

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Another who doesn't get how teams are run

If they would have run the team my way, Marcus Mariota would be our QB... instead of the triplets of drek we have now.

If they dont run the team my way this season, the Jets will be picking an OT instead of a potential franchise QB.

D'Brick was an all-time great Jet.  But a QB is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in priority.

Not getting him for a Conditional 5 or 6... also his knee tendinitis has been rumored to be more severe than tendinitis. just fyi.

I like Matthews and would not be against acquiring him, but the eagles are not letting him go for 5 or 6.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

If they would have run the team my way, Marcus Mariota would be our QB... instead of the triplets of drek we have now.

If they dont run the team my way this season, the Jets will be picking an OT instead of a potential franchise QB.

D'Brick was an all-time great Jet.  But a QB is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in priority.

Good for you, but thats not the way teams are run.  No one is going to do it your way, no one does.  No one knows who will be at the top of the draft next year but fans think theres a start waiting if they would only lose on purpose.  Aint happening

BTW, if fans had it their way we would have tanked agains Oakland to get Reggie Bush.

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

There will be roster cuts that the Jets can glom on to. 

Unless something of true value turns up, that has more than 1 year on a contract, then it is a fruitless exercise.

Yes and the Jets will pick up a JAG and tout him as the next Jerry Rice its what Mike Maccagnan tries to do and it actually works with some Jets fans.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes and the Jets will pick up a JAG and tout him as the next Jerry Rice its what Mike Maccagnan tries to do and it actually works with some Jets fans.

Show me the first and last player that Macc has "touted" and made comparables of.

Does not seem to be his style.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who has Maccagnan touted as Jerry Rice?  Marshall was a pretty good get.  I don't remember him talking any players up too significantly though he appears to have been wrong about Smith.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will ask this again, name the player and show me the Macc quote.

Maybe it has happened, but I do not recall it. With Rex, that was a regular happening, as I recollect

Fair enough that Rex talked everybody up, but that's just it.  Rex talked everybody up.  It was the idiot fans that believed him that were the problem.

Archived