Trade idea: Conditional pick (5th/6th?) for WR Jordan Matthews

Jetsfan80

3 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

How is he the odd man out in Philly!?!? I don't get these reports. Agholor has done next to nothing in his 2 years in the league.  

Agholor was a 1st round pick and fits the mold of a slot receiver far better than Matthews does.  Under a 2nd year HC it makes sense that they aren't giving up on him.  

Among Matthews' biggest problems is he's not fast enough to play on the outside.  Still worth a look on a lowball offer.  

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will ask this again, name the player and show me the Macc quote.

Maybe it has happened, but I do not recall it. With Rex, that was a regular happening, as I recollect

There were CFL players, and others who we stole or we snipered (not a word)  that other teams missed out on, there was that great pass rusher from KC etc there were a few.

Mike Maccagnan is all smoke and mirrors....

No real reason to trade for him, when we will have more than enough cap space to possibly afford him next year.   He would have to come into a new system, be completely behind everyone else in understanding the system, in a year where winning most likely won't happen. 

I'd rather wait and see.

I think of this year as tryouts.  I want to see what Peake has, what Stewart can do, what Hansen can show, and how Anderson can get better.  Maybe even see Marshall or Marks and see if anyone sticks.  Essentially, throwing pasta at the wall time and see what we can salvage.  I think the only way we would make this trade was if we already had the QB of the future.  Or if Mathews could be under control for beyond next year.  

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

We're fine at WR for what this year is. Just stop.

One could argue this year is a year we need to look at our young QB's and make a decision as to whether either one of them will step up. Are you confident in the WR's we have to make that the best situation possible ? Sure maybe Anderson and Peake take the next step but the fact the best WR on the roster is out for the year is going to make it a big question mark how all that plays out. You may very well see another WR added if these guys don't step up.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

One could argue this year is a year we need to look at our young QB's and make a decision as to whether either one of them will step up.

I agree.  Hack must show some sign this year he is even basic-level competent, or he should not be on this roster next year.

Are you confident in the WR's we have to make that the best situation possible ?

"Best situation possible".  If my 2nd Round QB requires the "best situation possible" he's dogsh*t and should be cut.

We have an entire soccer teams worth of young, talents, WR prospects with potential.  if Hack cannot make that work, Hack is not the guy for this franchise in 2018 and beyond.

I rejected the "no weapons, needs to start next year" argument for Sanchez, for Geno and now for Hack.  It's bullsh*t.  A QB makes his WR's, WR's do not make a QB.

Sure maybe Anderson and Peake take the next step but the fact the best WR on the roster is out for the year is going to make it a big question mark how all that plays out. You may very well see another WR added if these guys don't step up.

It's a waste of assets at this point.  Keep our powder dry now, and spent it in 2018 when it might serve the long term of this franchise.

Never buy in the open market when everyone will think you're desperate.

We were in no position to make a trade like this. After using a couple of later picks to get vets who worked out for exactly one year we need to maintain our draft capital, not spend it on talented but struggling WR's. 

And we were NEVER gonna come up with something equal to Darby, not without giving more than we could or should.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

We were in no position to make a trade like this. After using a couple of later picks to get vets who worked out for exactly one year we need to maintain our draft capital, not spend it on talented but struggling WR's. 

And we were NEVER gonna come up with something equal to Darby, not without giving more than we could or should.

More accurately, we never pull off smart trades with Macc.

The Bills, Eagles, and Rams ALL just got better through these trades.  Bills have a stockpile of picks.  Eagles can now put Agholor in the slot where he belongs.  Rams finally have a true # 1 WR for their # 1 pick QB.  Before, Robert Woods was their WR1.  

Meanwhile we sit here trying to tank and might f*ck that up too.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Bills, Eagles, and Rams ALL just got better through these trades.  Bills have a stockpile of picks.  Eagles can now put Agholor in the slot where he belongs.  Rams finally have a true # 1 WR for their # 1 pick QB.  Before, Robert Woods was their WR1.  

Uh huh. I wouldn't sweat it, this was nothing that could or should have been done by the Jets. 

The Jets were NEVER getting their hands on Darby and Watkins, because Buffalo wasn't going to give them to a division rival. 

And Matthews isn't all that, there's no reason to fret not giving up picks to go get him.

We're in no kind of spot to be buyers or sellers right now unless that means trading high picks for more picks to teams like the Rams who are freaking allergic to theirs.

12 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

And Sheldon still checks into Florham Park every day..... Can't wait to be rid of that fat moron.  I'll take a 5th rounder.  Just get his cancerous ass off the team so we can...you know...rebuild, properly.

Sheldon Richardson isn't preventing us from "rebuilding properly". 

I agree I'd like to see us trade from an area of strength (our DL) to improve other areas. I think too many folks here are trying to hard to have vitriolic reasons to trade him, other than what I just said. He's a very good football player. Manufacturing things like "he's a giant cancer blah blah blah" is just unnecessary and irrelevant, frankly. He may annoy us, but that doesn't mean he isn't adored in the locker room. All indications are that he's pretty popular, frankly. 

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

And Sheldon still checks into Florham Park every day..... Can't wait to be rid of that fat moron.  I'll take a 5th rounder.  Just get his cancerous ass off the team so we can...you know...rebuild, properly.

Typical Jets luck we finally hit a home run in the draft (DROY) and then he puffs up and turds out and is now hated 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The view I heard from on some Podcast, which I agreed with, is that the Jets are on their way to messing up the tank.  I think the defense will be too good to win only 2 games.  I am not talking 8 wins, but more than bottom bottom.  The safeties and Claiborne and 2 DL fighting for their jobs will make a big difference.  

That being said, my guess is that the Jets will be able to find a QB better than what they have in picks 4-10.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The view I heard from on some Podcast, which I agreed with, is that the Jets are on their way to messing up the tank.  I think the defense will be too good to win only 2 games.  I am not talking 8 wins, but more than bottom bottom.  The safeties and Claiborne and 2 DL fighting for their jobs will make a big difference.  

That being said, my guess is that the Jets will be able to find a QB better than what they have in picks 4-10.

They will definitely mess up the tank and be forced to include Wilkerson and picks to get Darnold, and extend Sheldon.

Archived