Invision 4.2 Upgrade - Thursday night 8:45pm

We have to upgrade the site soon, there are a few technical reasons. One of them is related to ads, we need to install some additional options to block those redirects. Normally we don't like doing upgrades during the season but this upgrade will also give us some new features. I am going to install a new skin, think of it as a new coat of paint on the forum walls to match our new front page.

Any feedback is appreciated, some highlights appear below.

Reactions

These can be disabled if nobody wants them and we can stick with the + \ - system that we currently have.

reactions.gif.e3e1974c1fe8430b16ad11831a

Editor Uploading

IPS Community Suite has supported drag and drop uploading to the attachments area at the bottom of the editor since 4.0. In 4.2 we're pleased to add the ability to drag and drop right into the editor, so you can drop your attachment exactly where you want it to show without having to add it afterwards. If your browser and OS supports it you can also copy and paste, either from the desktop or from other content on the web.

58e505ab6254f_DragandDrop.gif.4fab80a215

Recommended Replies

Sometimes you may find situations where you want to highlight one or more replies to a content item to bring attention to a really great response. This is especially true on busy communities where you might have dozens or even hundreds of replies in a single discussion.

There is now an ability for a moderator to Recommend a reply (or multiple replies) and even leave an optional note explaining why they think you should view that post.

58c0748c222d6_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

Content Message

This is useful if you have a special use for the area people are posting in, need to encourage conversation to stay on topic, or perhaps the conversation is becoming heated and you need to remind people to behave.

58c0777363f32_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

There is also several SEO improvements, an upgraded gallery and a fluid forum view.

Going to schedule the upgrade soon. Just remember, colors might look different because we are putting a new skin in place. Please update your email addresses just in case. Kidding, just kidding. It's not like that at all.

Thanks again and any feedback is appreciated.

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Looks nice.  

I also like the new home page, although I'm a visual learner, so I'm biased.  I think it looks cleaner, and differentiates itself from a "blog" type front.  

Thanks. I am definitely happy with the new home page as well. http://JetNation.com for those that still haven't checked it out. :)

It is more modern but still lets us have the category approach. You know for those hard working guys that do film reviews. Their content is super easy to find!

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thanks. I am definitely happy with the new home page as well. http://JetNation.com for those that still haven't checked it out. :)

It is more modern but still lets us have the category approach. You know for those hard working guys that do film reviews. Their content is super easy to find!

Lol, yeah have to get back into the films soon.  I wish there were coach's films for the pre-season, hate relying on the broadcast tapes, especially to see some receivers.  Although I guess it's easier to see Hackenberg mechanics.    Either way I plan on doing some for Petty/Hack, and some receivers.  Pretty sure no one cares how McCown will be doing, so avoiding him.  

Yeah, it looks nice.  I think I sound like an interior decorator saying it looks crisp and flows well lol.  

I had a question about the podcasts actually.  Is it possible to do time frames for topics in the description?  I've seen it in a couple of places, but most notably the Bill Simmons podcast.  The description says when a topic is discussed and the start time for it, so it's easier to find the topics of interest if you are short on time.  

I really appreciate the attention to detail you bring to the mechanics of the forum.  I wish more site owners would take such care in something so important.  Two things I'd point out:

1.  Many of us don't use tapatalk or whatever its called in our mobile devices, we access the desktop site instead, just personal preference.  When using the desktop site on an iPhone or an iPad, inserting images doesn't work, it brings up a broken image for those who view the post either through copy/paste or HTML.  This bug needs to be fixed.

2.  The thing I'd request the most is the ability to break a single post into individual quotes with responses.  Sometimes someone will put up a post with 6 or 7 different points requiring individual responses and I can't figure out how to do that in the enhanced editor and it's a PITA to switch back to the old HTML version and paste in the quote and unquote tags.  Is there not a way to highlight different sentences in a post, hit 'reply' and have them appear as different quotes in a single post?  Like multi-quote, but for a single post, not multiple posts.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I really appreciate the attention to detail you bring to the mechanics of the forum.  I wish more site owners would take such care in something so important.  Two things I'd point out:

1.  Many of us don't use tapatalk or whatever its called in our mobile devices, we access the desktop site instead, just personal preference.  When using the desktop site on an iPhone or an iPad, inserting images doesn't work, it brings up a broken image for those who view the post either through copy/paste or HTML.  This bug needs to be fixed.

2.  The thing I'd request the most is the ability to break a single post into individual quotes with responses.  Sometimes someone will put up a post with 6 or 7 different points requiring individual responses and I can't figure out how to do that in the enhanced editor and it's a PITA to switch back to the old HTML version and paste in the quote and unquote tags.  Is there not a way to highlight different sentences in a post, hit 'reply' and have them appear as different quotes in a single post?  Like multi-quote, but for a single post, not multiple posts.

SAR I

Sar I will look into #2. For #1 I know the upload works on Android I do it from the stadium all the time. I will try it today from an iPhone I didn't know there was an issue.

Thanks for pointing these out 

Thanks Max!  This site continues to be the most feature rich and robust of the boards I frequent.

On Android I use the JetNation.com app.  Will this upgrade break the app or should it be transparent to that app?  Also one thing to note about that app is for some reason every sticky & announcement that seems to have been stickied or announced is pinned (since 2015) to the top of the Jets Message Board page in the app.  Any way to get them to disappear instead of having to scroll all the way down to find the newest topic being posted in.  I find the JetNation.com App to be the best way to browse the forum on android mobile so a little attention to the app would be greatly appreciated as well!  Especially if it could get a facelift in parallel with the website because I really like the current facelift on the main page.

17 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Thanks Max!  This site continues to be the most feature rich and robust of the boards I frequent.

On Android I use the JetNation.com app.  Will this upgrade break the app or should it be transparent to that app?  Also one thing to note about that app is for some reason every sticky & announcement that seems to have been stickied or announced is pinned (since 2015) to the top of the Jets Message Board page in the app.  Any way to get them to disappear instead of having to scroll all the way down to find the newest topic being posted in.  I find the JetNation.com App to be the best way to browse the forum on android mobile so a little attention to the app would be greatly appreciated as well!  Especially if it could get a facelift in parallel with the website because I really like the current facelift on the main page.

Thanks, let me look into that. Just to clarify, you mean our app that is in Google Play? I have it on my phone, I will check it out and I think there are some updates that can be applied there as well. It definitely needs a little TLC.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thanks, let me look into that. Just to clarify, you mean our app that is in Google Play? I have it on my phone, I will check it out and I think there are some updates that can be applied there as well. It definitely needs a little TLC.

Thanks.

Yup the app on Google Play!  I don't think a lot of people even know about it!  Much better than tapatalk and better formatted than using desktop site on mobile.  But it definitely could use some TLC as you say :D

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Thanks! Hopefully this new version has some logic built in to not ban me.

We were going to hire a programmer to write something but once he looked at your posts he said he didn't know how to write such a program. :)

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sar I will look into #2. For #1 I know the upload works on Android I do it from the stadium all the time. I will try it today from an iPhone I didn't know there was an issue.

Thanks for pointing these out 

No problem.

Just to clarify #1:  If you're on an iPhone/iPad using Safari and either 1) copy/paste the URL to an image into the compose window or 2) put in the tags at the beginning and end of the URL, what shows up is a broken image.

Note that on your iPhone/iPad it looks like the image linked up just fine, but everyone else can't see it, they get the broken image icon.

SAR I

Here's something else I'd like to see addressed:

When some of us are making a point with multiple variables we 1) sometimes put in a number and a parenthesis or 2) put in a letter and a parenthesis.

As you see above, when you use a number two like this:  2)  it looks just fine.

And if you like to do it with letters and you use the letter A like this:  A) it looks just fine.

....but if you try to do that with the letter B, it looks like this: B)

....because somewhere there's something in your code that says a parenthesis symbol followed by the letter B brings up an emoji.

Can you please get rid of this?  I like to A) make lists sometimes, B) use letters instead of numbers, and C) the "B" isn't happening.

SAR I

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

When some of us are making a point with multiple variables we 1) sometimes put in a number and a parenthesis or 2) put in a letter and a parenthesis.

And if you like to do it with letters and you use the letter A like this:  A) it looks just fine.

....because somewhere there's something in your code that says a parenthesis symbol followed by the letter B brings up an emoji.

Can you please get rid of this?  I like to A) make lists sometimes, B) use letters instead of numbers, and C) the "B" isn't happening.

SAR I

I can definitely fix this we put in the short code for each Emoji so I'll just change it. Give me a few days and I'll take care of it, thanks for pointing it out.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:
SAR I

I would also like to be able to type "Steve Atwater."

Edit: I guess that one's been fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

2.  The thing I'd request the most is the ability to break a single post into individual quotes with responses.

You

Sometimes someone will put up a post with 6 or 7 different points requiring individual responses and I can't figure out how to do that in the enhanced editor and it's a PITA to switch back to the old HTML version and paste in the quote and unquote tags.

Mean

Is there not a way to highlight different sentences in a post, hit 'reply' and have them appear as different quotes in a single post?

Like multi-quote, but for a single post, not multiple posts.

This?

17 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Any way to get rid of the notifications on the bottom of the screen when there are new posts?  It always makes noise so when I'm on this site I just turn the sound on the computer off.

Going to be honest, I didn't even know we had the option to make a sound for a notification. So I want to say yes it can definitely be turned off. Since it seems to be off for me. But once I upgrade I will circle back on this. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Going to be honest, I didn't even know we had the option to make a sound for a notification. So I want to say yes it can definitely be turned off. Since it seems to be off for me. But once I upgrade I will circle back on this. Thanks.

I think that's a browser setting.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How

Did

You

Do

That?

SAR

I

Just highlight a section of the post (drag and click with your mouse) and a little pop-up will appear that says "quote this". Click it, and that highlighted section will appear in your reply box. You can do that as many times as you like. Note that I am using my desktop to do this; I don't know if it works the same on a phone/ipad.

30 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

(and a little tJust highlight a section of the post e this". Click it, and that highlighted section will appear in your reply box. You can do that as many times as you like. Note that I am using my desktop to do this; I don't know if it works the same on a phone/ipad.

What browser are you using?  I can't do this with Firefox and an ad blocker enabled.

Solved.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Just highlight a section of the post (drag and click with your mouse) a

Ah.

a little pop-up will appear that says "quote this".

I figured

that highlighted section will appear in your reply box

it out.

I don't know if it works the same on a phone/ipad.

Thank you for your help.

SAR I

Archived