QB Practice In Context

KRL

Unfortunately the media doesn't give a proper picture of what a QB does in a practice or
how much they throw.  To help fans who can't get to a practice here's a rough overview
of the drills they go through and how each drill "builds" to the next:

Against "Air"

In this drill the QB's throw different patterns to receivers against nobody.  Here you can
evaluate the QB's mechanics, footwork and how the ball comes out of their hand.  With Hackenberg
being so bad last year this was an early opportunity to see if his issues were addressed

1 on 1's

In this drill the QB's throw to receivers who are covered by a DB.  Here you want to see the
QB maintain his fundamentals from the "Air" drills and execute against an opponent.  Here you
can evaluate ball placement, accuracy and an early indication of arm strength.  Sometimes Bowles/
Morton mixes it up and adds in some 2 on 2's where there will be 2 WR's against 2 DB's.  When
that happens you can see a QB's decision making and if he picks the right WR to throw to

7 on 7's

In this drill the QB's throw to five receivers going against the LB's, CB's and safeties.  This
drill builds on the first two and adds in the difficulty of throwing against a "live" secondary.
Here the QB must show good decision making and arm strength in determining who to throw to and
fitting it in through "windows"

11 on 11's

This drill builds on the first three and adds in the remaining players (DLine & OLine).  The
closest drill to "live" football where the QB faces a simulated pass rush, blitzes and must make
checks to get the offense into the correct play.  The final QB skill you see in this drill is
his internal clock and when to get rid of the ball or to tuck & run

In closing, a QB probably throws at least 75-100 times during a practice.  To properly evaluate
his performance all phases of his day should be taken into account  

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

To properly  evaluate his performance all phases of his day should be taken into account  

Good write up overall. This last statement is true but on the other hand completing passes against air isn't as impressive as 11 on 11. There's a degree of difficulty involved. 

Great post. I think it should be noted that unlike the media presents it, interception totals are not the sole deciding factor in a QBs performance in TC. Yesterday for example it was clear that Hack had a very strong day, but the media acted like it all of a sudden became a bad day because he threw 2 picks Players need to challenge themselves in camp and sometimes picks happen.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Great post. I think it should be noted that unlike the media presents it, interception totals are not the sole deciding factor in a QBs performance in TC. Yesterday for example it was clear that Hack had a very strong day, but the media acted like it all of a sudden became a bad day because he threw 2 picks Players need to challenge themselves in camp and sometimes picks happen.

Adding to your point. Stats without context is just lazy reporting. Someone stated the TE slowed down on one of the picks , but the writer gleefully writes it as an int and on the flip side the QB throws a 70 yd TD where the DB falls down - they write great 70 yard TD usually w/o the appropriate context.

57 minutes ago, KRL said:

Unfortunately the media doesn't give a proper picture of what a QB does in a practice or
how much they throw.  To help fans who can't get to a practice here's a rough overview

Against "Air"

In this drill the QB's throw different patterns to receivers against nobody.  Here you can
evaluate the QB's mechanics, footwork and how the ball comes out of their hand.  With Hackenberg
being so bad last year this was an early opportunity to see if his issues were addressed

1 on 1's

In this drill the QB's throw to receivers who are covered by a DB.  Here you want to see the
QB maintain his fundamentals from the "Air" drills and execute against an opponent.  Here you
can evaluate ball placement, accuracy and an early indication of arm strength.  Sometimes Bowles/
Morton mixes it up and adds in some 2 on 2's where there will be 2 WR's against 2 DB's.  When
that happens you can see a QB's decision making and if he picks the right WR to throw to

7 on 7's

In this drill the QB's throw to five receivers going against the LB's, CB's and safeties.  This
drill builds on the first two and adds in the difficulty of throwing against a "live" secondary.
Here the QB must show good decision making and arm strength in determining who to throw to and

11 on 11's

This drill builds on the first three and adds in the remaining players (DLine & OLine).  The
closest drill to "live" football where the QB faces a simulated pass rush, blitzes and must make
checks to get the offense into the correct play.  The final QB skill you see in this drill is

In closing, a QB probably throws at least 75-100 times during a practice.  To properly evaluate

Excellent perspective as always.  Can we donate some money to move KRL right into Florham Park please? :D

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Adding to your point. Stats without context is just lazy reporting. Someone stated the TE slowed down on one of the picks , but the writer gleefully writes it as an int and on the flip side the QB throws a 70 yd TD where the DB falls down - they write great 70 yard TD usually w/o the appropriate context.

Yup there was only one or 2 tweets with the context of the first pick being on Tomlinson.  He didn't turn his head fast enough.  It was actually Costello that reported it with context.

And here is how a few others "reported" it with a little "flair".

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Against "Air"

1 on 1's

7 on 7's

11 on 11's

And which QB looks the best?

Is it Christian "lack of "Hackuracy?"

Checkdown McCown?

Or Bryce "I won't back down" Petty?

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you are a good QB you will be good no matter what the set up.  If you are lousy you will be lousy no matter hat the set up.

Why is it every single thing you post is sh*tting on this team?  Why the heck do you follow a team you hate so much?  

9 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Yup there was only one or 2 tweets with the context of the first pick being on Tomlinson.  He didn't turn his head fast enough.  It was actually Costello that reported it with context.

That's hilarious and it's why I can't wait for Saturday night. Getting my information from beat writers who have an agenda is less than ideal. It's done to get Jets fans all riled up. Oh look, Mccown is the man. No wait, Hack's the man. No, forget that, Petty is the answer. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Why is it every single thing you post is sh*tting on this team?  Why the heck do you follow a team you hate so much?  

1)  What the hell are you talking about?  What did I say that was sh*tting on this team?  I made what I think is a valid comment.

2)  The team has been a clown show for years and totally deserves to be sh*t on by its fans.  As a team if you want trust and admiration start dong things right for an extend period of time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the nasty grump naysayers that still show up for games or buy merchandise or watch on tv or show up on web forums are actually better tans than the happy happy joy joy fans who are always happy the team, are always willing to give the team a free pass.

If you are always happy with a sucky product and are happy to put up with it, you get what you deserve a crappy product.

I'm a fan of the Jets, I think this version of the Jets has an awful coach and an all time awful set of QBs'

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1)  What the hell are you talking about?  What did I say that was sh*tting on this team?  I made what I think is a valid comment.

2)  The team has been a clown show for years and totally deserves to be sh*t on by its fans.  As a team if you want trust and admiration start dong things right for an extend period of time.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the nasty grump naysayers that still show up for games or buy merchandise or watch on tv or show up on web forums are actually better tans than the happy happy joy joy fans who are always happy the team, are always willing to give the team a free pass.

If you are always happy with a sucky product and are happy to put up with it, you get what you deserve a crappy product.

I'm a fan of the Jets, I think this version of the Jets has an awful coach and an all time awful set of QBs'

You were calling all the QB's crappy and you know it. 

So fine, you hate the team and the coach, do we have to hear about it non stop?

i get some people are not pleased with the team and the players and the coach, does not mean it has to harped on here. 

it dies not have to be all sunshine and lolly pops but also not all doom and gloom. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Amen brother...Couldn't agree more. Was anyone happy with the teams performance(s) last season against KC throwing 6 INTS? How about Indy last year down 50-0 at halftime, PIT, MIA or ARI getting embarrassed on national TV? This team quit on the coach, fans, and themselves before October 15, that's 2 weeks before Halloween; we knew then it was all over for 2016. How about their performance against Buffalo with the playoffs on the line in 2015? The last 17 games have turned me off of Jet football to be honest, there is nothing exciting about those games whatsoever. Losing games 6-3 or 9-6, or 41-3 is dull boring incompetent football for which I have no taste anymore.

New season, fine, I get it. I am a little excited to see our young players this preseason but am in no way in hell going to say anything positive, about anything this organization has done lately, this has been a total $hit show since Mac and Bowltite got here, wreaking of dysfunction. 2015 was a mirage, when they played for something they $hit themselves in Buffalo. Would I love to come here and post only positive things, oh absolutely, 100% hell to the yes! I would love nothing more than to post about a division championship or god forbid, a home playoff game. It is no fun posting about losing, losers, bad HC's, no QB, "wheah da hoez" at, and on and on. 

Jets fans deserve a professional competitive and winning team. They pay enough for it monetarily, and have paid way more than enough emotionally.

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

or the 70 yard td where the pass only travel 1 yard beyond the los.  maneesh and company are the masters of incomplete reporting.

6 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This is precisely why I call them the LAMEstream media...

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's hilarious and it's why I can't wait for Saturday night. Getting my information from beat writers who have an agenda is less than ideal. It's done to get Jets fans all riled up. Oh look, Mccown is the man. No wait, Hack's the man. No, forget that, Petty is the answer. 

+1

Watch for yourself.  Judge for yourself.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

People are dismissing playing against air. But right now air is the 2nd best team in the division behind the Patriots.

Air is also the 2nd cheatiest team behind the Patriots. Always increasing and decreasing its own pressure. Sure, "experts" claim that its due to "natural changes in atmospheric conditions". Well, I say poppycock to that!

WE know the truth!

Archived