Forum Upgrade Complete

I just put the site back online, we are still working on skinning the site. So the colors are off and you will see some features appear and disappear. But the upgrade is done, so you can talk Jets.  We will be gathering feedback soon. For now please be patient because we are still working on some things (yes I know the colors are off).

Here is the original post I made about the upgrade. Thanks!

We have to upgrade the site soon, there are a few technical reasons. One of them is related to ads, we need to install some additional options to block those redirects. Normally we don't like doing upgrades during the season but this upgrade will also give us some new features. I am going to install a new skin, think of it as a new coat of paint on the forum walls to match our new front page.

Any feedback is appreciated, some highlights appear below.

Reactions

These can be disabled if nobody wants them and we can stick with the + \ - system that we currently have.

reactions.gif.e3e1974c1fe8430b16ad11831a

Editor Uploading

IPS Community Suite has supported drag and drop uploading to the attachments area at the bottom of the editor since 4.0. In 4.2 we're pleased to add the ability to drag and drop right into the editor, so you can drop your attachment exactly where you want it to show without having to add it afterwards. If your browser and OS supports it you can also copy and paste, either from the desktop or from other content on the web.

58e505ab6254f_DragandDrop.gif.4fab80a215

Recommended Replies

Sometimes you may find situations where you want to highlight one or more replies to a content item to bring attention to a really great response. This is especially true on busy communities where you might have dozens or even hundreds of replies in a single discussion.

There is now an ability for a moderator to Recommend a reply (or multiple replies) and even leave an optional note explaining why they think you should view that post.

58c0748c222d6_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

Content Message

This is useful if you have a special use for the area people are posting in, need to encourage conversation to stay on topic, or perhaps the conversation is becoming heated and you need to remind people to behave.

58c0777363f32_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

There is also several SEO improvements, an upgraded gallery and a fluid forum view.

Going to schedule the upgrade soon. Just remember, colors might look different because we are putting a new skin in place. Please update your email addresses just in case. Kidding, just kidding. It's not like that at all.

Thanks again and any feedback is appreciated.

Edited  by Maxman

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

So far so good. I find it nicer to look at already

Thank you. 

I hope everyone is patient. We are basically painting the walls while we are open for business. So if you see a wet paint sign don't lean on that wall. :)

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Max:

Can you get rid of the "reason for this edit" dialog box?  No one uses this feature when they make an edit and it takes up valuable real estate that forces a scroll to 'save'.

SAR I

No I have to leave that one because unfortunately we have to edit users messages at times. It is better if we (moderators) can put in a reason why. Removed link, cursing, can't make fun of Max's RV, things like that.

Other than site colors, how is everything going so far?

Site seems good for me. I haven't had any issues since the upgrade. If you have any problems or questions please let me know. 

On the menu you definitely want to check out Browse and Activity.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Site seems good for me. I haven't had any issues since the upgrade. If you have any problems or questions please let me know. 

Looks good. Still getting notifications through the app but it prompted me for password when i tried to open on my mobile and gave an error when i tried logging in.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

There is still a lot of work to do but I have to say I think this is going to turn out nice. Colors still need work but the new options, pretty cool stuff.

Can't speak to the full version yet, but the mobile version is awesome--the look is cleaner and the functionality is much better. 

5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

New site is nice, but I'm going to miss that cute bell on the top right, where I would look to see if there was a number on it.

I also like seeing when there are new quotes of my posts. I don't care whether I can see up/down votes but I thought most of the current platform software has options to turn this off anyway.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

No I have to leave that one because unfortunately we have to edit users messages at times. It is better if we (moderators) can put in a reason why. Removed link, cursing, can't make fun of Max's RV, things like that.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Can you relocate it so it's below the "save" button?  It takes up a lot of space.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank you. 

I hope everyone is patient. We are basically painting the walls while we are open for business. So if you see a wet paint sign don't lean on that wall. :)

I like the fresh look Max. Just want to mention that some buttons don't appear on IE, post etc. Using Chrome, no biggie.

9 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I like the fresh look Max. Just want to mention that some buttons don't appear on IE, post etc. Using Chrome, no biggie.

Yes someone just pointed that out to me via PM. Things are off in I.E.  The good news is we now have a "supported" theme so I have a help desk I can open a ticket with. I am doing that now.

Looking good, although two quick things that came to mind while moving around that I was curious about:

1.  Would it be possible to move the notifications item onto the bar that stays at the top of page when you scroll down?  Notifications currently just sticks at the top of the page, so unless you immediately click on that pop-up link, you'd have to scroll back to the top for it.  Not a huge deal, but it's something that I think is very readily used for things the reply notifications, so the more handy it can be, the better.

2.  With the current design, is there any simple way to jump directly between the different forums?

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Looks good to me, cleaner and more up to date IMO.  

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I just put the site back online, we are still working on skinning the site. So the colors are off and you will see some features appear and disappear. But the upgrade is done, so you can talk Jets.  We will be gathering feedback soon. For now please be patient because we are still working on some things (yes I know the colors are off).

Here is the original post I made about the upgrade. Thanks!

We have to upgrade the site soon, there are a few technical reasons. One of them is related to ads, we need to install some additional options to block those redirects. Normally we don't like doing upgrades during the season but this upgrade will also give us some new features. I am going to install a new skin, think of it as a new coat of paint on the forum walls to match our new front page.

Any feedback is appreciated, some highlights appear below.

Reactions

These can be disabled if nobody wants them and we can stick with the + \ - system that we currently have.

reactions.gif.e3e1974c1fe8430b16ad11831a

Editor Uploading

IPS Community Suite has supported drag and drop uploading to the attachments area at the bottom of the editor since 4.0. In 4.2 we're pleased to add the ability to drag and drop right into the editor, so you can drop your attachment exactly where you want it to show without having to add it afterwards. If your browser and OS supports it you can also copy and paste, either from the desktop or from other content on the web.

58e505ab6254f_DragandDrop.gif.4fab80a215

Recommended Replies

Sometimes you may find situations where you want to highlight one or more replies to a content item to bring attention to a really great response. This is especially true on busy communities where you might have dozens or even hundreds of replies in a single discussion.

There is now an ability for a moderator to Recommend a reply (or multiple replies) and even leave an optional note explaining why they think you should view that post.

58c0748c222d6_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

Content Message

This is useful if you have a special use for the area people are posting in, need to encourage conversation to stay on topic, or perhaps the conversation is becoming heated and you need to remind people to behave.

58c0777363f32_ExampleTopic-ATestForum-IP

There is also several SEO improvements, an upgraded gallery and a fluid forum view.

Going to schedule the upgrade soon. Just remember, colors might look different because we are putting a new skin in place. Please update your email addresses just in case. Kidding, just kidding. It's not like that at all.

Thanks again and any feedback is appreciated.

The buttfumble upvote is an instant classic! 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Also agree on the cleaner look. And maybe it's just me, but it seems a lot faster on my phone now (Android).

We did a major server clean up leading up to this. So that is good to hear. That was the plan. :)

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Can you relocate it so it's below the "save" button?  It takes up a lot of space.

SAR I

14 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Looking good, although two quick things that came to mind while moving around that I was curious about:

1.  Would it be possible to move the notifications item onto the bar that stays at the top of page when you scroll down?  Notifications currently just sticks at the top of the page, so unless you immediately click on that pop-up link, you'd have to scroll back to the top for it.  Not a huge deal, but it's something that I think is very readily used for things the reply notifications, so the more handy it can be, the better.

2.  With the current design, is there any simple way to jump directly between the different forums?

I sent an email to the theme designer. I am not sure if any of these can be modified but I will find out and if he can do it at a reasonable price we will make the changes. The only thing is if it will have to be updated every upgrade, I might have to pass. But I will check, thanks.

BG -- on #2 that reminds me of the old forum selector that was on vbulletin on the bottom. There is a fluid forum view option in here. I am going to play around with it and see if I can add it to the sidebar. I think that will do what you are looking for.

Archived