Reputation \ Reactions

Reputation System (Likes vs Reactions)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Let us know what you prefer. The old reputation + / - system or the new like buttons (reactions)?

• Like + / -
    • Reaction (emojis)

As I mentioned in the other thread we just upgraded the site to IPB 4.2 and we are currently working on the theme. There are many new benefits but for now:

1) Thanks for your patience while we create the theme (paint the walls) 

-and-

2) Let us know what you prefer. The old reputation + / - system or the new like buttons (reactions). We can go with either system, just vote and tell us what you want.

Thanks.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would like the emojis to be more profane and antagonistic 

Post a suggestion I will add it.

Much like when JetNation was first launched and I stayed up again looking for the perfect set of 200 smileys lol.

Just now, Maxman said:

Much like when JetNation was first launched and I stayed up again looking for the perfect set of 200 smileys lol.

I remember waking up to the messages, "was up until 4:30 trying to upload Pitfall into the arcade. Think I figured it out but I need to write another 2000 lines of code and I have to get to work." And I'd be like, "we have an arcade?"

I like the old reputation. See, if I got an upvote on one of my comments, then I knew I'm special. It's the only reason I post here. I could easily see on every one one of my posts exactly how many people think I'm awesome. It was simple, yet effective. The new emojis just make me confused. I mean, does the laughing emoji mean they think I'm funny, or are they laughing at me? What are they thanking me for? Does that mean they don't think I'm funny? I need to know the answer to these questions. For my e-peen.

In all seriousness, I do prefer the old system. Just my 2 cents.

Real questions: how do the new emojis affect reputation? Do the other emojis affect a person's reputation? Does "liking" or "haha-ing" increase rep just like simply upvoting? Does "sad" and "confused" decrease it?

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let's go old school and bring commentary on rep back!!!!!

I have been looking for a way to do that, haven't found it yet. I would bring it back in a second if I could find the option.

30 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I like the feature where a post gets highlighted after getting a certain number of upvotes. Does it work the same way with the new emojis?

Yes, right now it is set to 3. We can make it any # that we want.

Looks like the emojis should give us the ability to do the same basic stuff + or - but just be a little more expressive in the process.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes, right now it is set to 3. We can make it any # that we want.

Looks like the emojis should give us the ability to do the same basic stuff + or - but just be a little more expressive in the process.

I actually preferred when that number was set to 5. Seemed like a more appropriate number, IMO.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I actually preferred when that number was set to 5. Seemed like a more appropriate number, IMO.

5 it is. I just changed it. That makes sense this way only those ones stand out.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Add a buttfumble reaction button for the love of Namath.

oie_oie_trim_image (1).png

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Add a buttfumble reaction button for the love of Namath.

oie_oie_trim_image (1).png

I am so adding this.

I don't even have the logo on the site yet but I am stopping what I am doing to add this. Awesome lol.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I am so adding this.

I don't even have the logo on the site yet but I am stopping what I am doing to add this. Awesome lol.

1c royalty per use. I should be a millionaire by September.

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I like the old reputation. See, if I got an upvote on one of my comments, then I knew I'm special. It's the only reason I post here. I could easily see on every one one of my posts exactly how many people think I'm awesome. It was simple, yet effective. The new emojis just make me confused. I mean, does the laughing emoji mean they think I'm funny, or are they laughing at me? What are they thanking me for? Does that mean they don't think I'm funny? I need to know the answer to these questions. For my e-peen.

Real questions: how do the new emojis affect reputation? Do the other emojis affect a person's reputation? Does "liking" or "haha-ing" increase rep just like simply upvoting? Does "sad" and "confused" decrease it?

I couldn't read this without hearing Joe Peschi ... "Funny? Funny how? you think I'm a clown?!?! Do I amuse you??!?"

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Rule of thumb. If you're not laughing then they're not laughing with you. 

I like having +/- Rep counted, gives a good metric for how we (as a community) feel about a posters contributions.

As to what mechanic creates those +/- reps......don't care.  I'm simple, so always like the simple +rep and -rep, but really kids love their pretty emojis, so why not give them that option.

As long as the various Emojis translate to +1 Rep and -1 Rep is a somewhat clear way, I'm all good.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I like having +/- Rep counted, gives a good metric for how we (as a community) feel about a posters contributions.

As to what mechanic creates those +/- reps......don't care.  I'm simple, so always like the simple +rep and -rep, but really kids love their pretty emojis, so why not give them that option.

As long as the various Emojis translate to +1 Rep and -1 Rep is a somewhat clear way, I'm all good.

I never understood this rep thing as a metric for anything when people rep their own posts to inflate the counter lol.  Whats most important is highlighting the best posts in each topic/thread imo.  In that regard the rep/like/upvote is still there and it looks like it bases these popular votes off of total amount of like/upvote/emoji used, so it works for me!

6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I never understood this rep thing as a metric for anything when people rep their own posts to inflate the counter lol.  Whats most important is highlighting the best posts in each topic/thread imo.  In that regard the rep/like/upvote is still there and it looks like it bases these popular votes off of total amount of like/upvote/emoji used, so it works for me!

Rep, to me, is an a way of giving a subtle nod. I use it for content that I find funny, intelligent, helpful and/or well executed (in terms of being provocative).

Archived