Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams, get Jordan Matthews from Eagles

Jetscode1

Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams, get Jordan Matthews from Eagles

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2017, 12:56 PM EDT
630499160-e1502470586523.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

Three years after using two first-round draft picks and a fourth-round draft pick to acquire him, the Bills are moving on from Sammy Watkins.

Watkins, the talented but so far disappointing wide receiver, has been traded to the Rams. To replace him, the Bills have acquired receiver Jordan Matthewsfrom the Eagles.

The Bills announced that they’ve shipped Watkins and a sixth-round draft pick to the Rams for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a second-round draft pick. Separately, the Bills announced that they sent cornerback Ronald Darby to the Eagles for Jordan Matthews and a third-round draft pick.

The twin trades come out of left field and are significant for all three teams involved. But it’s the Bills who are making the biggest change, with the new regime cutting ties with Watkins, whom the previous regime considered a franchise cornerstone. This represents a significant change in Buffalo, and a pretty big change in L.A. and Philly as well.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Would have liked either on the Jets but we don't have anything besides draft picks. Want to hold on to those.

Agreed. Have to admit I will not miss seeing #15's back running up and down the field twice a year, despite his injury history. He burned our asses a few times.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Bills now have two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds next year. They're in excellent position to trade up for the QB of their dreams and still have plenty of picks left. 

IF they need to trade up.  

Just now, slats said:

Bills now have two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds next year. They're in excellent position to trade up for the QB of their dreams and still have plenty of picks left. 

Mr. N. Peterman implores you give him a chance before talking about 2018 QB draft picks . . . 

Seinfeld-J-Peterman.gif?x77385

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Agreed. Have to admit I will not miss seeing #15's back running up and down the field twice a year, despite his injury history. He burned our asses a few times.

Looking back, he had 2 good games out of 6 against the Jets.  I was surprised thought he did more damage than that

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I'm still of the belief that the Bills are going to be the worst team in the division when it's all said and done this season. This doesn't help them at all.

The get the picks but I'm with you they are not willing to let the Jets tank without competition.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

I'm still of the belief that the Bills are going to be the worst team in the division when it's all said and done this season. This doesn't help them at all.

I agree, and what's worst, this looks more like an attempt at tanking than anything the jets have done .

7 minutes ago, slats said:

That haul of picks virtually assures the Bills of easily being able to get to any spot in the top 3 for a QB.

We all should be big Tyrod Taylor fans this season - hoping he has a good season and they dont look to upgrade

The downgrade from Watkins to Matthews is not much at all.

However Darby was playing well at CB and I dont think EJ Gaines is much of a game-altering CB.

So basically a downgrade at CB in exchange for a second and third round pick.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The downgrade from Watkins to Matthews is not much at all.

However Darby was playing well at CB and I dont think EJ Gaines is much of a game-altering CB.

So basically a downgrade at CB in exchange for a second and third round pick.

Sammy Watkins when healthy has proven to be a much better player than Mathews and it's not even close . The Bills talent level took a big dump today 

Smart moves IMO. They're loaded up for the 2018 draft. Watkins is too iffy with his injury history, getting a 2nd back is pretty nice return. 

But I don't think we have to worry about them stealing our tanking spotlight! They're still a 7-9 team like last year. 

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Really happy for Watkins.

Gets out of buffalo, was wasting his talent.

Hes going to blow up in LA

When he was drafted I thought it was a terrible fit placing a home sick Florida kid in the freezing cold of Buffalo.

All 3 teams just got better.  

• Eagles can now put Agholor in the slot where he belongs, and added a very nice corner.
  • Bills now have a stockpile of picks
  • Rams finally get their first true WR1 since, what....Torry Holt?  Pretty crucial piece for a team with a young QB.  

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Sammy Watkins when healthy has proven to be a much better player than Mathews and it's not even close . The Bills talent level took a big dump today 

I dont disagree - but when healthy is an enormous caveat.  The guy has a bad injury that has lingered for years, its a huge difference in risk that the Bills no longer have to deal with.

From a talent standpoint its not close, but health is a huge issues

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

I dont disagree - but when healthy is an enormous caveat.  The guy has a bad injury that has lingered for years, its a huge difference in risk that the Bills no longer have to deal with.

Considering he's not reliable HEALTH-wise and due to be a FA next spring, Bills liquidated a HIGHLY depreciated asset in Watkins by getting a 2nd rounder and a zone/nickel back in EJ Gaines (who's outplayed his draft status). They have a new defensive HC and neophyte GM who is locked & loaded to make an aggressive move for a Top QB prospect in '18; T.Taylor restructured and is a FA in MArch '18.

Our current CBs (Burris, Claiborne) can match up better vs. Matthews than Watkins 

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Unless they found something chronic how do you quantify injury. They can happen to anyone, anytime. I don't see how a past injury equates to a higher risk of future injury for any given player. Maybe besides a running back due to running style or something, but not a WR, I don't get that. 

Watkins is an all pro talent vs a JAg. I'd be super pissed as a Bills fan. 

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Unless they found something chronic how do you quantify injury. They can happen to anyone, anytime. I don't see how a past injury equates to a higher risk of future injury for any given player. Maybe besides a running back due to running style or something, but not a WR, I don't get that. 

Watkins is an all pro talent vs a JAg. I'd be super pissed as a Bills fan. 

I believe the real problem with Watkins is that he's an out and out A-hole supreme who thinks he's aloooooot better than he is. 

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So you don't think some human beings are simply more fragile than others?  Chad Pennington is a great example of one of those.  Some guys just don't get enough calcium, or just simply don't have the DNA to be football players.  Athletes, yes, but maybe not football players.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I believe the real problem with Watkins is that he's an out and out A-hole supreme who thinks he's aloooooot better than he is. 

I received notification of this post of yours literally at the same time as Dr. Oz said "bacteria in your feces..."

And that's not a veiled shot or anything, that's just what happened

Archived