### Jets \ Titans -- Preseason Is Here, Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early thoughts:

- fans will ignore McCowns first 2 down, despite them being more typical for him

- fans will over-estimate the rest of what he did

- Jalin Marshall continues to move like Welker/Edelman but have the hands of Becht, he'd have been cut from the Pats by now, or scared into never dropping another pass ever

- they are really, really being delicate with Hack, maybe it'll work? I dunno. I cannot see his Petty is worse right now though

- defense looks like it can not be an embarrassment 

- going for 55 yard FG, lol Bowles still sucks

- flight crew has gotten hotter

- thank goodness for beer and fantasy football

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

i think hack has played well, some of the play calling has been terrible IMO; could be they are seeing how they respond as opposed to play calling for success; last play 3-3 i would have tried something else; hack has been making smart decisions (like not try to force it in on that 2-3).

If the ball isn't tipped, the pass is a 7 yard gain to Peake.  The play calling has been fine.  The execution hasn't been perfect.  

Idk what lineman that was that tried to catch a tipped pass but the first thing you're taught as an OL is to bat the ball down to avoid the sh*t we almost saw happen. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Early thoughts:

- fans will ignore McCowns first 2 down, despite them being more typical for him

- Jalin Marshall continues to move like Welker/Edelman but have the hands of Becht, he'd have been cut from the Pats by now, or scared into never dropping another pass ever

- they are really, really being delicate with Hack, maybe it'll work? I dunno. I cannot see his Petty is worse right now though

oh c'mon. Its preseason. Why not go for it? Give one the kickers a chance.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If the ball isn't tipped, the pass is a 7 yard gain to Peake.  The play calling has been fine.  The execution hasn't been perfect.  

Idk what lineman that was that tried to catch a tipped pass but the first thing you're taught as an OL is to bat the ball down to avoid the sh*t we almost saw happen. 

Don't really care about the 1st down; just think they are putting him in obvious passing downs; very conservative on 1st down calls.

Just now, SR24 said:

why the **** are we running the ball with 30 seconds left in the half in a preseason game. Let the kid throw christ

He's been solid. Making the right reads. Only incompletions were 2 drops, a deflected pass and a long pass that was overthrown to a WR that was blanketed. This is just about what you should have wanted/expected. They aren't going to air it out to make you happy and have a ball get picked to kill his confidence in an otherwise solid first half. 

If this was a real game, I'd be right with you. 

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Hack had a great first game.  Made the right reads ... just needs to be more than a manager.

I think you'll see it more when they open more of the playbook to him.  It looked to me like he was still working off a limited playbook but did well with what they called for him.  Excited to see the coming weeks honestly!  

Now lets see what Petty can do against a bunch of scrubs

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

here is another example - let's see a two minute offense; instead of this hand-off waiting for the half; this isn't a real game - let him through the ball deep or just take a knee; they missed on a perfect chance to practice a 2 minute drill in a meaningless game.

Yup, Todd Bowles is reaaaaaaallllly starting to piss me the f*ck off.

Nice looking first half.  

Hack and McCown looked good.  WRs about as good as can be expected.  ASJ sighting.  Oline looks solid.  And the defense looks on point.

Tells me Bowles has been doing some good work coaching this team up.  Yeah it's beyond early, but nice start.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Early thoughts:

When you are evaluating your kickers I can't think of a better thing to do than kick 55 yarders.

7 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

What do you expect?  They want him to have a good outing to build his confidence.

I wasn't criticizing. Just stating what is see, hoping it works. "Trial by fire" never has for us, so.... 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

Give him time.  If he's a good game manager this year and shows some potential to be more we have a winner. 

Exactly. There was no reason to run deep crossing patterns with backup Oline and young WRs. It's a recipe for a sack/fumble/INT. This is a glorified scrimmage. 

Just now, Mike135 said:

Nice looking first half.  

Hack and McCown looked good.  WRs about as good as can be expected.  ASJ sighting.  Oline looks solid.  And the defense looks on point.

Tells me Bowles has been doing some good work coaching this team up.  Yeah it's beyond early, but nice start.

They were disciplined and the starting d line is running voluntary wind sprints on the sideline.

Haters gonna hate but there are some good things happening.

Just now, Maxman said:

When you are evaluating your kickers I can't think of a better thing to do than kick 55 yarders.

And yet the approach with Hack is to build his confidence by only asking him to do was stuff. Seems like a double standard by the coaches.

I know it is only 1 half, but am I crazy or do I Sense a totally different attitude with this team - at least so far tonight? Watching the DL run laps during breaks says to me they trying to get into top shape to do everything they can to get better. Great sign. Never seen that before during a PS game.

This was a good start for Hack. He got a chance to build some confidence, get a feel for the speed of the game, etc. This was exactly what he needed... a positive step. No major f... ups and execute the game plan. We can expand and open the play book a little in upcoming outings. We are not going to expose too much in preseason anyway but except for the drops we don't look as pitiful as we are reported to be.

Archived