" D " dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

Rich Cimini    ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets LB Avery Williamson likes the idea of having Leonard Williams and No. 1 pick Quinnen Williams on the interior of the defensive line. "Those guys are going to be awesome," he said. "Two big bodies, two athletic guys. I know they're going to be a force to be reckoned with, taking up some double teams. I'm definitely excited about that." Williamson was honored Tuesday night by the United Way of NYC, which hosted the annual Gridiron Gala.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Chris Rumph first saw Jachai Polite play at Mainland High School in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 2015.

Rumph was an assistant at the University of Florida at the time, and the Gators were looking at Polite initially as a tight end. Then, Rumph saw Polite play defensive end against a top-rated tackle who had committed to Auburn.“He just proceeded to wear this guy out,” Rumph, now the defensive coordinator at Tennessee, said by phone Wednesday. “We were like, ‘Boys, we got us one.’ ”Polite did commit to Florida and became one of the best pass rushers in college football last season, with 11 sacks and six forced fumbles, the most in the country. The Jets picked Polite in the third round of the NFL draft, hoping he can bring some of that pass-rushing magic to their defense.

Just like he believed the Gators had something special when they landed Polite, Rumph thinks the Jets may have landed a difference-maker.“I think [the Jets] got a steal with him in the third round,” Rumph, who was Polite’s defensive line coach in 2016-17, said. “That’s a big-time steal.”When you watch the film of Polite at Florida, you can see what Rumph is talking about. Polite is constantly bending the edge and terrorizing SEC quarterbacks. He looks like a high-motor pass rusher who can give the Jets the edge rusher they have been searching for since John Abraham left town 13 years ago.But Polite is a 6-foot-2, 245-pound question mark. Yes, he could be the answer to the Jets’ pass-rushing problems. Or he could just end up being a problem.

If the draft had been held in January, Polite would have gone in the first round based off his 2018 season.

But the months of February and March took their toll on Polite’s draft stock. He had a terrible scouting combine, clashing with teams in interviews, then telling the media about it to go along with some poor testing. Things did not improve at his Pro Day, and suddenly a surefire top-15 pick was sliding down draft boards.Polite said he learned a lesson from the experience. The Jets believe Polite, who turned 21 in March, is a good kid who made some immature mistakes.There are whispers, though, from executives with other teams about more baggage than just immaturity. But Polite is not a criminal. He did not fail any drug tests. He does not have a history of DUIs. The Jets are banking on him being able to grow with their support.

Rumph blamed Polite’s mistakes at the combine on those around him not preparing him better. But he admits Polite is sometimes too honest for his own good.“He’s going to say what’s on his mind,” Rumph said. “He’s not trying to be disrespectful, but he’ll tell you if you ask the question, I’m giving you the answer. Sometimes that might get him in trouble. He’s going to have to be smart going to a big market like New York with what he’s saying and how he’s saying it. But I think his intentions are great, his heart is in the right place.”

Polite showed that heart with his Twitter handle “@retiremoms” — a nod to his mother Katrina Simmons, who he hopes can retire from her job as the supervisor of housekeepers at a hotel in Daytona Beach now that he is in the NFL.As far as showing heart on the field, Rumph points to a play in 2017 when Florida was facing Tennessee in Gainesville. Polite was initially fooled on a screen pass to running back John Kelly, but he then ran 25 yards downfield, at one point passing Kelly, before coming back to make the tackle.“I’ve been coaching a while, and that was one of the top five plays I’ve seen a guy make in my life,” said Rumph, a coaching veteran of more than 20 years.

If Jets fans Google the play, they will be salivating at the potential their new pass rusher shows.Polite is the most intriguing player the Jets selected this year, the quintessential boom-or-bust draft pick for a team that desperately needs a boomer at pass rusher after too many busts.

>    https://nypost.com/2019/05/08/jachai-polites-ex-coach-calms-concerns-on-jets-big-time-steal/

OLB Jachai Polite, the Jets' third-round pick, has dealt with weight fluctuation throughout his career. Playing at 235 pounds, he recorded 11 sacks last season for Florida. He expects to play at 245 as a rookie. Adam Gase says Polite will be a "fun guy to watch develop over time" because of his ability as a pass rusher.

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The omnipresent specter of Tom Brady somehow still hovers over the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

Until there is visual evidence of Brady requiring the use of a cane, or until Gisele convinces him to retire, Sam Darnold won’t be able to topple Brady by his lonesome in the never-ending “Game of Thrones” drama that has tormented the Jets and their fans since Quinnen Williams was 4 years old.“It’s crazy, because Tom Brady started playing in the NFL before I was born,” Williams said, and laughter filled the Jets press room.

Brady was a sophomore at Michigan when the Jets’ first-round draft choice was born, but it sure seems like an eternity to the Jets as well.Darnold was the most important part of the latest plan to dethrone Brady and Bill Belichick, because without a franchise quarterback, fuggedaboutit.The next stage was pairing him with Adam Gase, an offensive guru head coach who can help him take the next big step.

Next came Le’Veon Bell, an elite runner and safety valve out of the backfield, followed by Jamison Crowder, a nifty, crafty slot receiver.And next getting free agent middle linebacker C.J. Mosley, a quarterback for new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ rabid defense.

Finally, drafting Williams and Jachai Polite to make Brady think twice about playing until he is 45.

Williams is a 300-pound toy who can provide the interior pressure that has often been Brady’s kryptonite. Ask Justin Tuck about that.“I just know I’m a dominant player,” Williams said, “and I just bring another tool and an aspect onto the whole defense. I can rush the passer, I can stop the run, and just another great player to add on to a great defense who are great players.”This is May, a time when it was far too early for the Jets to realize Vernon Gholston was more Lawrence Welk than Lawrence Taylor. No one thinks Williams, the third-overall pick and arguably the best player in the draft, will bust.

“I’m not the normal defensive nose guard,” Williams said.

He is, however, the most giddy.“I met Le’Veon Bell yesterday,” Williams gushed Friday. “I’m like, ‘Whoa, that’s Le’Veon Bell, the number one running back in the NFL.’ It’s just crazy. … I met Sam Darnold, that’s crazy. I’ve got Jamal Adams on my ultimate team [in the Madden video game]. It’s crazy.”Gregg Williams can line him up anywhere and everywhere. Quinnen Williams has already started picking the brain of veteran defensive tackle Steve McLendon.“I want to play 10, 11 years also,” Williams said.

Polite, much more low-key, will be dangerous if he can sack his immaturity issues.“I’m surrounded by great people, so I have no choice but to change and be great,” Polite said.He is a natural 245-pound pass rusher who can bring heat off the edge.“I feel like it’s my speed and flexibility, like bending around the corner,” said Polite, who said he admired Dwight Freeney.“I liked the spin move a lot,” Polite said.

How’s your spin move ?

“It’s not like his yet. It’s gonna get there,” he replied.Polite’s post-draft goal is to retire his mother, Katrina Simmons, who is a supervisor of housekeepers at a Daytona Beach hotel and a hairdresser.“She’s been crying ever since and then I left yesterday, so she really was crying,” Polite said Friday. “I’m just trying to take care of her, do my job and be the best Jet I can be so I can take care of her.”Asked which quarterback he would love to sack, Polite said: “The first one we play, hopefully.”

Brady after that.

>     https://nypost.com/2019/05/11/two-rookie-defensive-dynamos-looking-to-make-jets-contender/

Rookie outside linebacker Jachai Polite will begin his Jets career with a clean slate.

Polite has never been involved in any legal trouble in his life, but he’s had to overcome some maturity issues following a disappointing appearance at the NFL combine. When meeting with teams, Polite didn’t like that they were calling out parts his game and he also told teams that he doesn’t re-watch his own film. However, Adam Gase doesn’t seem to care about that stuff.

‘”A fresh start,” Gase told the media about Polite at the start of rookie orientation. “What happened in the past is irrelevant to me.”Not only did Polite have some off-the-field issues, but he didn’t test that well at the combine which sparked some red flags. He ran a 4.84-second 40-yard dash, which was well short of what was expected given that he is 6-foot-3 and 258 pounds.

Despite that, his stats did show that he was worthy of being a high pick and the Jets decided to take a chance on him. In Polite’s junior season, he had 11 total sacks to go along with six forced fumbles. It’s safe to say he has a knack for finding the football.Polite’s leash can’t be too long given. With Gregg Williams being his defensive coordinator, Polite is going to have to deal with the criticism. Williams isn’t a soft coach and is going to let you know when you make a mistake. For now, Polite will get every opportunity to be an impactful player on this team.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/11/jets-adam-gase-jachai-polite-a-fresh-start/

• 3 weeks later...

He hasn’t played a regular-season snap for the Gang Green yet, but veteran linebacker C.J. Mosley already has full control of the New York Jets defense.

Despite making four Pro Bowls in five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, Mosley was allowed to walk in free agency this offseason, and the Jets gladly paid a premium to drop him into the middle of an already promising unit.A versatile playmaker and by-example leader, Mosley racked up nearly 600 tackles during his tenure in Baltimore, building a reputation as both a physically dominant player and an intelligent strategist.

That combination of brains and brawn is why Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has no problem handing Mosley the keys to the defense in his first season with the team (via team senior reporter Eric Allen) :

He told me the first day I’ll be able to control a lot of stuff on the field — not just making the play calls, but the things we can do in certain types of defenses and different stunts we can do and things we can show.

’m the quarterback of the defense and I have to get everybody lined up,” Mosley said. “In this defense, I can make a lot of extra calls, different calls besides what the original call is. With film study and understanding the playbook, I can definitely add on to what I see other than just the call.

The Jets defense already has a young, vocal leader in Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams, and a stud defensive lineman in Leonard Williams. Throw in No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams, and Mosley has plenty of weapons around him to guide.All the pieces are in place for the Jets to make a huge leap in 2019, and Mosley could be the key to the whole operation.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/31/c-j-mosley-already-taking-full-control-jets-defense/

On 6/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, kelly said:

He hasn’t played a regular-season snap for the Gang Green yet, but veteran linebacker C.J. Mosley already has full control of the New York Jets defense.

Despite making four Pro Bowls in five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, Mosley was allowed to walk in free agency this offseason, and the Jets gladly paid a premium to drop him into the middle of an already promising unit.A versatile playmaker and by-example leader, Mosley racked up nearly 600 tackles during his tenure in Baltimore, building a reputation as both a physically dominant player and an intelligent strategist.

That combination of brains and brawn is why Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has no problem handing Mosley the keys to the defense in his first season with the team (via team senior reporter Eric Allen) :

He told me the first day I’ll be able to control a lot of stuff on the field — not just making the play calls, but the things we can do in certain types of defenses and different stunts we can do and things we can show.

’m the quarterback of the defense and I have to get everybody lined up,” Mosley said. “In this defense, I can make a lot of extra calls, different calls besides what the original call is. With film study and understanding the playbook, I can definitely add on to what I see other than just the call.

The Jets defense already has a young, vocal leader in Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams, and a stud defensive lineman in Leonard Williams. Throw in No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams, and Mosley has plenty of weapons around him to guide.All the pieces are in place for the Jets to make a huge leap in 2019, and Mosley could be the key to the whole operation.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/31/c-j-mosley-already-taking-full-control-jets-defense/

For an overpaid guy you could do alot worse...and we have and recent memory. Pretty happy this guy seems to be as advertised...

Todd Bowles came to the Jets as one of the top defensive minds in football. However, he failed to live up to that reputation in his tenure with the team.

Throughout Bowles’ time with New York, the Jets were always lacking on defense. Gang Green lacked the ability to get after the quarterback, which was both a schematic and talent deficiency issue. As a result, the Jets ranked 17th, 28th, 28th and 24th in sack percentage in Bowles’ four seasons at the helm.

New York’s defense was historically average and underachieved with Bowles and Kacy Rodgers calling the plays. With Gregg Williams now calling the shots, odds are that will not be the case in 2019. With Williams leading the Jets’ defense, the expectation is that New York will be more aggressive and assertive up front next season.

“It’s a lot different than what we were doing last year,” Anderson said. “It’s just a lot more aggressive, attacking front. I know as a defensive line, some of the guys who were here last year, we’re kind of having to get rid of some of the habits that we developed in that old scheme. Just getting weight going more forward, attacking, penetrating. It’s definitely a fun defense to play in.”Anderson originally appeared to be the odd man out after the Jets hired Williams, as New York was expected to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defensive front. Instead, Williams kept the 3-4 scheme in tack and the Jets re-signed the 27-year-old to three-year, $25.2 million deal. Instead of going with a strict 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, the Jets are going with a very flexible scheme that allows players like Anderson to “fit.”

“I feel like I can excel in any type of scheme because I feel like I have pretty good technique and I’ve got the pass-rush ability,” Anderson said. “I don’t know if I was relieved, but it was definitely interesting when I came here and talked with Coach Williams about what we were going to be doing on defense.”

Anderson also spoke highly of Williams’ ability to adapt to his personnel, which was one of the main reasons the veteran defensive coordinator appealed to Adam Gase as he was filling out his coaching staff.“We’re definitely going to be mixing it up a lot,” Anderson said. “I think once he continues to see what guys can do in practice and how he can best utilize different body types in different styles of play, he’ll install different personnel packages. I think that’s one of the things he’s good at as a D-coordinator.”

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/02/henry-anderson-gregg-williams-new-york-jets/

-- Coach Nick Saban watched from his usual spot on the field, standing behind the quarterback in a salmon-colored suit and lording over his all-22 empire. This was April 21, 2018, the annual Alabama Crimson Tide spring game. In Tuscaloosa, they call it A-Day. This one turned into Q-Day.

As in, Quinnen Williams.

"I just kept seeing 92, like, flash this sort of quickness, beating players and making plays and pass rushing," Saban told ESPN during a phone interview Wednesday. "I said, 'Man, Q, is really kind of coming into his own.'"Williams, a two-year backup on Saban's long and talented bench, secured a starting job that day. One year and four days later, he was drafted No. 3 overall by the New York Jets -- a stunning and sudden rise from "Who's he?" to "How do we stop him?"

"He never ever disappointed past that [spring game]," Saban said. "He was really something special."

After wreaking havoc on the SEC, the baby-faced Williams brings his old-school mentality and new-age skill set to the NFL, where he can be a cornerstone player for the Jets. He's a three-down player who can play multiple positions on the defensive line. He likes the variety because, as he said during a break at this week's Jets minicamp, "I can spread around my athletic ability and be dominant everywhere for this team."

No argument from his legendary college coach.

"He came up as a guy who had to be an overachiever," Saban said. "His disposition was always like, 'I've got something to prove here.'"

Let's be clear: Williams wasn't ignored out of high school -- he was a four-star recruit, according to Rivals.com -- but he arrived on campus as an undersized defensive lineman (255 pounds). He was a tweener, and that caused him to go "unnoticed," Saban said. Williams had no sense of entitlement; he knew he would have to work his way up Saban's depth chart. He was a coach's dream -- a physically gifted player with an overachiever's heart."Once his size caught up to what it needed to be to play his position, all that suddenness and athletic ability and quickness became a bit hard to handle," Saban said. "But he still had the right psychological disposition to be an overachieving-type player."Williams played nose tackle at 295 pounds, which is not your typical, stay-at-home run-stuffer. Now he's listed at 305 -- still on the smallish side for an interior lineman. Or is it? The game is changing. This is the Aaron Donald generation, and the old wide body is being replaced by sub-300 pounders with freakish athleticism. Williams is part of a new wave.

"He fits the style of play in this day and age of football," Saban said. "You don't need a bunch of great, big old guys who can hold the point. He does that reasonably well, too, because he uses his hands and plays with leverage and he does have enough power, but he fits today's game better because of his style of play versus what the game has become."Some fans were disappointed the Jets didn't draft an edge rusher in the first round, perhaps linebacker Josh Allen, but the team felt it was important to upgrade its interior pass rush. Why? Check out the AFC East competition.Quarterback Tom Brady averaged 2.61 seconds from snap to pass, tied for the fourth-fastest release time in the league, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. That same style of offense -- the New England Patriots' quick passing -- will be used by the Miami Dolphins, whose new coordinator (Chad O'Shea) is from the New England tree. The Buffalo Bills, too, have a former Patriots assistant running their offense, Brian Daboll.

The best way to attack a quick-throwing quarterback is to generate pressure up the middle and get in his face. The Jets expect Williams to be that kind of game-changer -- eventually. They haven't seen much in minicamp because a calf strain has limited his practice time. On Wednesday, he had no reps in 11-on-11 drills, but the hope is he will be full go by next week for the final few practices of the offseason. He will get a chance to work with the first- and second-team defenses. The third team, quite frankly, can't handle him."He disrupts everything," coach Adam Gase said. "We have to get him up with those first two groups. ... It'll be more challenging for him. Right now, you can see a difference between his skill set and the guys he's going against."

Williams, 21, has impressed teammates and coaches with his eagerness to learn. The other day, he walked up to center Jonotthan Harrison and asked about proper nutrition and diet. He's always hanging around veteran nose tackle Steve McLendon, picking his brain on pretty much everything from footwork (the first step should be vertical, not horizontal) to post-practice recovery methods.

"He's in my pocket," said McLendon, 33, who has embraced the mentor role.

"He basically gave me the blueprint on how everything will be," Williams said.

Saban called Williams a smart player who always studied opponents' tendencies and offensive-line splits and stances. He used his football IQ, along with raw talent and an "I'll show you" determination, to record 18.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks last season."I think he can be a really good player," said Saban, who has coached too many of those to list. "Stay focused on the right stuff, stay humble, keep working like you've always worked and he can be a good player for a long time."

>    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80133/how-jets-rookie-quinnen-williams-won-over-nick-saban-to-start-his-ascent

The Jets made the defensive line a priority in the offseason, and now the unit looks to improve off of the 2018 season.

The Jets’ defensive line has had its ups and downs over the years. In 2015, they were one of the most dominant forces in the league. Since, their production hasn’t been the same, but they’ve still been satisfactory more often than not.

Leonard Williams has been a little underwhelming since making the Pro Bowl in 2016. He did improve from the 2017 season last year, posting 5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss. Overall, it’s fair to say he’s been disappointing for the past few seasons.If he’s ever going to break out into a premier threat, it will be this season. Williams’ contract is up after this year, and if he wants to be payed like a top tier defensive lineman, he has to play like one. Gregg Williams will also be beneficial to Big Cat. He’s entering the prime of his career, and he has every reason to make 2019 his best season yet.

Henry Anderson was an acquisition made by the Jets via trade during the 2018 draft, and he paid off big time. After being dealt for just a seventh round pick, Anderson turned into the Jets’ most productive players on defense.Anderson posted 7 sacks, 16 QB hits, and 7 tackles for loss in his first season with the Jets. Despite being the Jets’ best pass rusher, many thought the Jets would let him walk in free agency when Gregg Williams arrived. The Jets thought otherwise.Anderson got a nice paycheck this offseason, signing a 3 year, $27 million deal with the Jets. He earned his money through his play, and got paid respectively. He’s still a very young player, and with an improved surrounding cast, he may be in for a great season in 2019.

The Jets made a big move on day one of the 2019 NFL Draft, selecting Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams with the third pick. Williams was regarded by many as the best player in the draft. He fell to three primarily due to the Cardinals and 49ers having bigger needs, but make no mistake: he’s an animal.In his sole starting season at Alabama, Williams posted 8 sacks, 71 tackles, and 19.5 tackles for loss. To put up those numbers as a defensive tackle is ridiculous. His insane rate of production at the defensive tackle position has earned him comparisons to back-to-back Defensive Player of the Year winner Aaron Donald.

Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson should strongly benefit from the presence of Quinnen Williams. With a dominant force in the middle of the line, Big Cat and Anderson should have more opportunities to get to the quarterback. Steve McClendon will likely serve as the second defensive tackle for the Jets, whose proven to be one of the more underrated run stuffers in the league.The Jets’ defensive line has been stuck in mediocrity for the past couple of years. There has always been some prodcution, but never enough to call them an elite group. With Leonard Williams and Anderson entering their prime seasons and the addition of Quinnen Williams, the Jets defensive line has the ability to get over the hump and become a dominant force again.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/06/18/jets-early-roster-preview-defensive-line/

• 2 weeks later...

Quinnen Williams is the NFL’s best rookie entering the 2019 season. Well, at least Madden 20 says so.

With the season inching closer and Madden 20 coming out soon, the video game has released its rookie ratings. With Williams possibly being the best overall player in this past year’s draft, the video game rated him accordingly.The third overall pick was given the highest-rated overall grade out of all rookies with an 80 grade. The Buffalo Bills’ Ed Oliver slid in right behind Williams with a 79 overall rating, while the No. 1 overall pick, Nick Bosa, received a 78. Josh Allen, T.J. Hockenson and Marquise Brown all earned a 77 overall rating.

Some attributes to go along with Williams’ 80 overall rating include an 88 for impact blocking and an 89 for strength.

Clearly, Madden saw how big Williams is at 301 pounds and the force he was at Alabama. He has decent speed given his size, but his ability to bulldoze his way through offensive lineman is unlike others at his position. It paid off for him, as he recorded 91 total tackles (26 for a loss) and 10 sacks in two years at Alabama.The Jets think he has a lot of potential in the NFL and Madden is quickly picking up on that notion.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/02/jets-quinnen-williams-highest-madden-20-rookie-rating/

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets will report to training camp on Wednesday, July 24 to kick off the 2019 season.

In the 20 days leading up to training camp, NJ Advance Media will be counting down the 20 most important players for the 2019 season.That is: the players that will be the most important to the team’s success this upcoming season.Checking in at No. 8 is a second-year player looking to make good after leaving an ugly first impression ...

No. 20: CB Brian Poole

No. 19: OLB Jachai Polite

No. 18: QB Trevor Siemian

No. 17: OLB Jordan Jenkins

No. 16: DE Henry Anderson

No. 15: LG Kelechi Osemele

No. 14: LB Avery Williamson

No. 13: CB Darryl Roberts

No. 12: S Marcus Maye

No. 11: TE Chris Herndon

No. 10: C Jonotthan Harrison

No. 9: WR Quincy Enunwa

No. 8 ...

WHO: Trumaine Johnson

POSITION: Cornerback

YEAR: 8th

HOW HE DID IN 2018: Johnson’s season was, in a word, disappointing. For starters, he missed five games due to injury and was benched for the season finale against the Patriots for disciplinary reasons. That was the capper to an underwhelming year full of blown coverages and costly penalties. Johnson did lead the team in interceptions, but the plays he made didn’t make up for the ones he didn’t. The Jets signed him to be a shutdown No. 1 corner, but he simply didn’t live up to that reputation in his first season with the team. Instead, he turned into a headache – both on and off the field.

STATS: 10 games, 10 starts, 40 tackles, four interceptions, five pass breakups, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery

CONTRACT: Second season of five-year, $72.5 million contract

WHY HE’S IMPORTANT: We’ve repeatedly mentioned the Jets’ precarious situation at cornerback; Darryl Roberts is an unproven starter and Brian Poole is in his first season with the team after being signed on the cheap. Johnson, despite all his struggles last season, has by far the highest ceiling among the group – and that in turn makes him the most pivotal figure.If Johnson becomes the shutdown cornerback that the Jets believed they were getting when they handed him big money last year, that will quickly take significant pressure of Roberts across the field and the defense as a whole. Reliably shutting down the other team’s top wide receiver is a luxury few teams enjoy, but the Jets have that potential with Johnson.

On the other hand, if Johnson remains inconsistent and/or a liability, this defense will almost certainly be in trouble. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams depends on his secondary covering well enough and long enough to allow his blitzes to wreak havoc. But if Johnson is getting burned – and the Jets’ other two cornerbacks don’t exceed expectations – opposing quarterbacks will be able to pick this defense apart with quick passes that keep the chains moving.Speaking of Williams, he is a major X-factor that comes into play when discussing Johnson’s fate this season. Those two have worked together in the past; they overlapped with the Rams in 2012 and 2014-16. Johnson has produced some of his career’s best work under Williams’ tutelage, including a seven-interception campaign in 2015.

So, clearly, the Jets’ hope is that their new defensive coordinator can once again draw the best out of Johnson and turn him into the player they believed in when they cut a check for $45 million guaranteed last March.

HE SAID IT: “His best years were when we were together. He’s really motivated. He understands me. I understand him. It’s my job to try to help him be the best he can be. He’s excited. I’ve been excited about the work that he has put in here and even away. We’re monitoring things. There’s a good familiarity there. I can’t wait to get going and get back in games together because he and I have had some really good moments together.” – Williams on his past experience with Johnson.

>     https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/07/jets-top-20-is-trumaine-johnson-in-for-bounce-back-season-or-destined-to-become-bust.html

Quinnen Williams doesn’t just see himself as a defensive tackle.

Williams was taken by the Jets third overall in this past April’s draft and his expectations are sky-high. However, the Jets defensive line is a bit crowded at the moment and Williams is going to have to make himself more versatile.“I can play all positions,” Williams told the team website. “[Gregg Williams] knows I can play all positions and he knows I can learn all positions.”

The Jets currently have Williams slotted at the nose tackle position with Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson as the defensive ends. But the Jets also have veteran Steve McLendon on the books this season and he is expected to get some playing time as well. Gregg Williams certainly has plenty of firepower that he can use to get after the quarterback and he’s going to be rotating these four guys a lot.

The 21-year-old rookie could possibly be the best player in this year’s draft class. Quinnen Williams had an All-American season last year at Alabama when he recorded eight sacks and 71 total tackles, 19.5 of which were for a loss.First things first is that Williams has to sign his rookie contract. This was an issue last year with Sam Darnold, as he missed the first few days of training camp. Once that happens, though, look for Williams to move all over the field.

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/19/quinnen-williams-sees-himself-playing-multiple-positions-in-jets-defense/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

The Jets don’t want to place too much weight on Jachai Polite’s shoulders just yet.

New York’s third-round pick in this year’s draft comes with plenty of off-the-field concerns. However, the Jets saw his on-field production at Florida and felt he could make an impact on this team. While Polite didn’t do anything to shine during OTAs, the Jets don’t seem overly worried about his game.“Well listen, he’s been running around in his pajamas now for [a few] weeks, so it’s too soon to tell,” outside linebackers coach Joe Vitt told the team website. “I mean he’s got a long way to go. But he’s got size, he’s got a good attitude. But he’s got to go through a training camp, and obviously the pads are going to define him when we put them on.”

You can’t judge Polite or frankly any player after OTAs or minicamp. As Vitt said, the pads are going to determine who he is as a player. But the raw talent is there for him and it’s just a matter of building on it at the NFL level.Polite made a name for himself in his last season at Florida when he recorded a career-high 11 sacks. He also had 45 tackles and 19.5 for a loss. As for his character concerns, most of that occurred at the NFL combine. He didn’t do well in interviews with teams and quit on some drills after testing poorly.

The Jets are going to give Polite every chance to succeed. He’s in good hands with Vitt and Gregg Williams, but the Jets won’t know exactly what they have until the practices intensify.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/20/jets-tempering-expectations-with-rookie-jachai-polite/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

The Jets will report to training camp on Wednesday, July 24 to kick off the 2019 season.In the 20 days leading up to training camp, NJ Advance Media will be counting down the 20 most important players for the 2019 season.That is: the players that will be the most important to the team’s success this upcoming season.

Checking in at No. 4 is a linebacker who broke records with his huge – and unexpected – free-agent deal ...

No. 20: CB Brian Poole

No. 19: OLB Jachai Polite

No. 18: QB Trevor Siemian

No. 17: OLB Jordan Jenkins

No. 16: DE Henry Anderson

No. 15: LG Kelechi Osemele

No. 14: LB Avery Williamson

No. 13: CB Darryl Roberts

No. 12: S Marcus Maye

No. 11: TE Chris Herndon

No. 10: C Jonotthan Harrison

No. 9: WR Quincy Enunwa

No. 8: CB Trumaine Johnson

No. 7: WR Robby Anderson

No. 6: S Jamal Adams

No. 5: DT Quinnen Williams

No. 4 ...

WHO: C.J. Mosley

POSITION: Linebacker

YEAR: 6th

HOW HE DID IN 2018: Mosley’s stats from last season may not jump off the page compared to years past; he didn’t set any career highs or post any outlandish numbers. But from an analytics standpoint, it was one of his best NFL seasons to date. In fact, 2018 was Mosley’s second-best year, according to ProFootballFocus.com’s grades, behind only his 2016 campaign.

STATS: 15 games, 15 starts, 105 tackles, 0.5 sacks, six tackles for loss, five pass breakups, one interception

CONTRACT: First season of five-year, $85 million deal

WHY HE’S IMPORTANT: No one was all that surprised when the Jets made a big splash by adding Le’Veon Bell in free agency – those rumors had been heating up for a full year before the signing came to fruition. But Mosley’s signing was far less foreseen.Part of that is because no one expected that he’d actually be on the market; the expectation was that the Ravens would either work out a deal or franchise tag their next great linebacker. Instead, they decided to let him hit the open market – though they made a push to keep him during that process, too.The Ravens’ sizable contract offer was a big reason why the Jets had to splash a record-breaking $51 million guaranteed to lock up Mosley – they had to pay a premium to lure him away from the only NFL home he knew.

Even for a player of Mosley’s caliber – he was roundly viewed as one of the top free agents of this year’s class – that was a risky move. For starters, the Jets already had a solid, if unspectacular, linebacker combination between Darron Lee and Avery Williamson. Signing Mosley eventually led to Lee’s departure, meaning the Jets will now sink about $14.3 million in cap space into that linebacker spot (Mosley’s $13 million hit, plus $1.3 million in dead cap from trading Lee) as opposed to the $3.1 million they would have incurred by just keeping Lee.

So the key question is: Can Mosley be $11 million better than his predecessor  ?

No one is arguing that Lee was a perfect fit for this defense, but that’s still a tall order for a 27-year-old in a new home. And yet, the Jets’ new linebacker duo of Mosley and Williamson is undoubtedly more talented and potential-laden than their old tandem.The Jets are hoping that strength in the middle of the field leads to a more resilient defense. They’re also banking on Mosley’s lead-by-example style paying off in the locker room, as they try to rebuild a winning culture.

HE SAID IT: "(I’m an) every-down linebacker. I can make any kind of play. Field general. Not one of the guys that’s going to throw temper tantrums on the sideline. I’m all about making sure that guys are in the right position at the right time. I let my play do the talking.” – Mosley, describing his style.

>    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/07/jets-top-20-can-cj-mosley-justify-his-record-breaking-contract.html

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Is it time to worry about FS Marcus Maye? Coach Adam Gase was non-committal on whether Maye, who had shoulder surgery after the season, will be ready for Week 1. "I really hope so," he said. "It's one of those things where I don't want to say he's going to be there automatically. We're hoping so." Maye hasn't been cleared for practice; therefore, he's on the PUP list. The backups are Doug Middleton and Rontez Miles.

Rich Cimini  ESPN Staff Writer 

Most observers feel the cornerback position is the weak spot on defense, but that's news to Trumaine Johnson. "That's the first I'm hearing of it," he said. "I don't consider myself, or my group, weak. We have playmakers out there on the field and we're gonna make a lot of plays this year." It has to start with Johnson, a disappointment last season.

Trumaine Johnson disagrees with the sentiment that the Jets are weak at cornerback entering training camp.

New York’s paper-thin depth at cornerback has been a cause for concern throughout the offseason. The problem continued to stand out during Friday’s practice when Sam Darnold beat both Johnson and Darryl Roberts for two 50-yard touchdown passes.Despite a poor showing on Friday and a forgettable debut season with the Jets, Johnson isn’t worried about New York’s personnel at the position.“That’s the first I’m hearing of it,” Johnson told reporters after practice. “I don’t consider myself, or my group, weak. We have playmakers out there on the field and we’re gonna make a lot of plays this year.”

For the Jets to prove doubters wrong, it has to start with Johnson. The 29-year-old signed a five-year, $72.5 million contract with $34 million in guaranteed money last offseason.2018. was the most disappointing year of Johnson’s career. Between injuries, struggles on the field and insubordinate behavior, he did not play like the star cornerback Mike Maccagnan signed him to be. The Jets are hoping that reuniting him with his former defensive coordinator in Gregg Williams will pay dividends and help return him to elite form.

Beyond Johnson, Brian Poole and Darryl Roberts make up a group of relatively unproven starting cornerbacks. Both have the talent to succeed, but Roberts, Poole and New York’s stable of inexperienced cornerback depth need to put it together in a hurry in order for the Jets to be successful in the secondary this upcoming season.“Obviously, we need some of these young guys to come along quickly,” Adam Gase said about his cornerback group. “We knew coming in that we had two guys that are veteran players. We have a lot of young guys and a lot of guys with no experience. You know, we’re thin and we need guys to develop quickly. We’re going to need guys to play well in the preseason and practice well and step up.”

While the Jets are showing that they have confidence in their current talent at cornerback, there’s no question that Johnson and company are going to have to step up. If that doesn’t happen soon, general manager Joe Douglas will be forced to look outside the organization for reinforcements.

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/27/trumaine-johnson-new-york-jets-cornerbacks/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Most of Trumaine Johnson’s best seasons have come under Gregg Williams’ tutelage.

Johnson knows it. Williams knows it. They’ve both talked about it publicly. And they’ve both said that they expect the magic to be rekindled in the Jets’ secondary this season.But what is it about Williams that makes Johnson feel so comfortable? Why does he thrive in his defense?“Years of experience," Johnson said. "He knows my playing style and I know his coaching style. I know what he expects and I’m going to do everything he expects out of me.”

Sometimes, players and coaches simply mesh. There’s not always a rhyme or reason. The personalities, styles, philosophies and skillsets somehow just align.“That’s probably what it is, more than anything," Jets head coach Adam Gase said. "Gregg’s not shy about saying anything to anyone, so if something occurs on the field that he wants to make a correction, he’s not afraid to tell him. I think Trumaine likes it like that. I think Trumaine wants to be someone that gets coached. Good players want to be coached.”

That coaching helped lead Johnson to seven interceptions in 2015. In their four seasons together (2012 and 2014-16), Johnson has tallied 13 interceptions and 42 pass breakups.Given the Jets’ thin cornerback corps, they need that kind of playmaking out of Johnson again this season. And they would certainly love to see Williams raise the level of his other corners – like Darryl Roberts and Brian Poole – along the way, too.

Johnson believes that’s more than possible.

“He gets the most out of his players, that’s for sure," Johnson said. "That’s everywhere he’s been. You see when he was with the Browns, they had a good defense over there. Then he got to head coach, they started winning games. I believe everybody believes in him. He’s a players’ coach and that’s what you look into, being a player.”

>     https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/07/why-does-jets-trumaine-johnson-thrive-in-gregg-williams-defense.html

• 2 weeks later...

-- It started with a question.

"Steve, how old are you?" Quinnen Williams asked that day in the spring.

This was in a meeting room at the New York Jets' facility. The precocious rookie sat alongside fellow defensive lineman Steve McLendon, the resident Yoda. Williams received a smile and an answer -- "33" -- that prompted some quick math. When the meeting was over, he shared his findings.

"You got to the NFL when I was in the sixth grade," Williams told his new teammate.

McLendon busted out laughing.

In addition to A-gaps and B-gaps in the middle of their defensive line, the Jets have a G-gap, as in generational. McLendon and Williams are 12 years apart, three lifetimes in the NFL, but they have already formed a tight bond. They're sons of Alabama -- McLendon from rural Ozark, Williams from urban Birmingham -- and now they're a teacher-pupil tandem that operates in a moving classroom.

The field. The sideline. The locker room. The cafeteria. The trainer's room.

McLendon talks, Williams listens.

"He stays in my pocket," McLendon said.

Said Williams: "I'm taking everything he's doing and basically following him, following his lead, following everything he's doing."

In McLendon, Williams has the ideal mentor, an 11th-year player who has experienced extreme highs (the 2010 AFC Championship with the Pittsburgh Steelers) and extreme lows (the past three seasons in New York). He's unselfish and likes to talk. He believes he has an obligation to share his wisdom, paying forward what he learned so many years ago in Pittsburgh.McLendon came up the hard way. He likes to tell people he was the first pick in the ninth round of the 2009 draft. Spoiler alert: There was no ninth round. He was an undrafted free agent out of Troy and received a $500 signing bonus.Williams was the No. 3 overall pick in April, landing a $26 million signing bonus -- $6 million more than McLendon has earned in his entire career.

McLendon forged his work ethic as a kid. He spent summers at his grandfather's farm in Alabama, growing corn and helping with the chickens and cows. He still loves the great outdoors. He owns two lots in Alabama, totaling 360 acres. His dream is to reach 1,000.

Williams?

"I'm a city guy," the rookie said, smiling.

Williams likes to tease McLendon about his choice of locker room music. The big nose tackle plays gospel (Fred Hammond and Marvin Sapp) and jazz (Luther Vandross and Teddy Pendergrass).

"He loves old-school music," Williams said. "Every time he plays a song, I'm like, 'That's your generation.'"

Said McLendon: "I like the older guys. I need to understand the words. Some of the words these [current] guys are saying, I just don't understand it."

They're from different worlds even though they hail from the same state, but McLendon has embraced the former Crimson Tide star. It's one of the most fascinating dynamics in professional sports, the older player teaching the tricks of the trade to his eventual replacement. Some players would turn a cold shoulder to the new hotshot. McLendon isn't wired that way."I've been blessed with a lot and I'm required to give it away," he said. "When I die -- when I leave this game -- I can't take this gift with me, so why not give it to some guys to pass it along? I'm going to try to pass everything I have -- knowledge-wise, technique-wise, life-wise -- to him."When McLendon was a free agent in the offseason, he asked his 9-year-old son how he'd feel about him re-signing with the Jets. At the time, he knew there was a good chance they would draft a defensive tackle, adding risk to his decision. The boy responded by recalling a father-son conversation from two years earlier.

"Dad, remember what you told me?" the youngster asked. "Some people need us more than we need them."

McLendon heeded the call, not knowing exactly how he would be needed. A month later, he knew. The Jets drafted the uber-talented Williams, who dominated the SEC in his first season as a starter.

So much promise, yet so inexperienced.

"I know I'm athletic, I know I'm fast, I know I'm big, I know I'm strong, I know I'm smart, but I have a lot to learn," Williams said. "I want to know what he knows. He's very wise. That's why I stick to his hip. I know, playing this game for 11 years, I know he's going to lead me the right way."So they talk technique. They talk X's and O's. They talk about the importance of punctuality, post-practice recovery and proper nutrition. (Williams dropped a few pounds before camp by eating vegan-based plant protein.)I tell him to treat his body like a growing plant," said McLendon, known as one of the team's hardest-working players. "If you want to be like one of those big trees, the right stuff has to go in you."They also talk about football history -- well, recent history. Williams grew up an avid football fan, and he likes to ask McLendon about his old Pittsburgh teams. What was it like to play with Troy Polamalu? What were two-a-days like?

"I love football to death -- I'm a huge fan of players -- and we always speak about that," Williams said.

McLendon has the gift of gab, and he's not shy about sharing his inspirational messages.

"Rule No. 1: Don't be No. 2."

"The gym is always open."

"Don't think about yesterday -- better yourself today."

Williams has heard them all -- or he thinks he has. McLendon is a walking, talking Tony Robbins video, except he's 310 pounds and still can help the team as a first- and second-down run-stuffer. He doesn't have Williams' athletic gifts -- never has -- but he overcame long odds to last more than a decade at one of the game's most demanding positions.

"I'm thankful to have him," Williams said.

Said McLendon: "I'm molding him to play a long career. I get it. I'm happy for him. Accept the man for who he is. Don't look at the dollar signs or the name on the jersey. I accept the man for the man he is in his heart."McLendon won't say how long he's planning to play football. Right now, he's still needed. There's a young stud who covets his wisdom. Luther Vandross will continue to play.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80475/bama-boys-in-n-y-quinnen-williams-his-wise-mentor-and-the-g-gap

2018 was good to Henry Anderson.

The former third-round pick spent the first three years of his career banged up and struggling to produce for the Colts. But a change of scenery during the 2018 NFL Draft proved to be just what the defensive end needed.Suddenly, Anderson went from averaging one sack per season to tallying seven with the Jets last year – which led to a healthy three-year, $25.2 million deal this spring.

Talk about good timing.

But now it’s time for the encore performance. It’s time for Anderson to prove that 2018 wasn’t just a fluke. It’s time for him to do it all again – if not more.“I trained my a-- off in the humidity in Georgia all offseason and I think I’m in great shape,” Anderson said. "I feel like I can definitely handle an expanded workload, but we’ll see how it goes.”A big chunk of Anderson’s confidence stems from the fact that this offseason was significantly easier than last.Prior to 2018, the Colts asked Anderson to lose weight in order to fit their new 4-3 scheme – then shipped him to the Jets, who played a 3-4, after he’d already lost about 30 pounds. That meant constant eating for several months in order to regain the weight in time for training camp.

As it turns out, training sessions and practices with a fully loaded stomach aren’t as productive as a professional athlete would like.

“I’m out there puking and my coach was joking around – he knew I wasn’t, but he’d be like, ‘Oh, this dude’s out here drinking every night before he practices," Anderson said.This spring, bad pun aside, was a cakewalk by comparison.

Anderson was able to maintain a stable meal plan and focus on maintaining his weight while also changing the composition of his body – more muscle, less fat. And he resumed working with trainer Brett Bartholomew, who he found in 2018 in order to completely switch up his offseason routine.“When I started with him last year, I looked like s---," Anderson said. "I just looked like I wasn’t moving well, I was pretty heavy, body fat was a little bit higher. It took me all of last offseason to get to a point where I was moving pretty well. Then when I started with him this past offseason, I was already moving pretty well and just continued to try to get better at some of the movement patterns we were working on.”

Anderson credits Bartholomew’s mix of plyometrics, stability training and change-of-direction work with a good deal of his success last season. So, naturally, spending a full offseason perfecting those techniques as opposed to just setting a decent baseline has him encouraged going into this year.

But so does defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Anderson consistently said throughout 2018 that his pass-rushing prowess was improved by playing just 60 percent of the defensive snaps. And he believes that, even with a new contract to uphold, there’s a good chance Williams will find ways to keep him fresh this season, too.That’s not to say that he doesn’t want or can’t handle more work. But Anderson thinks there’s a balance to be found – and that Williams is capable of pinpointing it.“I think he’d rather have everybody in there fresh than certain guys out there for 80 percent of the snaps and you’re going 75 percent instead of other guys being out there going 100,” Anderson said. “So I think we’re going to have a good rotation.”

Beyond that, it’s just a matter of mentally mastering Williams’ new system and adjusting to his all-out, aggressive style.

If the 28-year-old can do that, a repeat of those seven sacks won’t feel like a stretch to Anderson.“I feel as athletic and I feel like I move as well as I ever have,” Anderson said. “So hopefully I can build off last season and this defense can hopefully make big strides over where we were last year.”

>    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/08/i-looked-like-s-how-jets-henry-anderson-went-from-full-fledged-physical-mess-to-breakout-2018-star-and-how-he-plans-to-repeat-that-success.html

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

Quinnen Williams' first three plays: Blown off the line of scrimmage by a double-team; draws a holding penalty; makes the tackle on third-down run. Final line: 11 plays, one tackle. The Jets' rookie on his first NFL experience: "It was cool. It was very dope. But it's just football and I've been playing football a long time, so I just treat it the same way, like playing in Alabama."

>    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The regular season has yet to begin, but trouble has already managed to find its way to One Jets Drive.

Throughout the offseason, the Jets made noise with some big-time free agent signings and other impactful moves. New York handed out a combined $137.5 million to running back Le’Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley. Upgrades were made on the offense line, as Mike Maccagnan orchestrated a deal to bring former All-Pro Kelechi Osemele to the Big Apple.  Quinnen Williams also fell into the team’s lap with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, giving the Jets a potentially dominant force on the defensive line.

On the surface, the Jets had a successful offseason — one that moved the needle from rebuilding to playoff hopeful. However, Maccagnan and company forgot to address one of the most important positions in football. Now, New York is paying for it.Heading into spring workouts, the cornerback position was a concern. Trumaine Johnson was coming off a disappointing first year with the Jets, while the rest of the team’s depth at the position was either underwhelming or unproven. The only move Maccagnan made to address the position during the offseason other than signing slot man Brian Poole was drafting Bless Austin, who had not played football in two years due to two torn ACLs.

Things seemed to be heading in the right direction with training camp underway, as Johnson looked like his old self playing for defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Darryl Roberts was adjusting decently to life as a starting cornerback, while Poole was opening some eyes in the nickel. Even undrafted free agent Kyron Brown had people excited with his rapid rise up the depth chart.In a matter of only a few days, however, any positive feeling about New York’s cornerback situation has evaporated. Johnson injured his hamstring running back an interception on Sunday and is now week-to-week. Brown suffered a hamstring injury of his own that could potentially sideline him for a while on Monday. This all followed the Jets secondary getting lit up by the Giants’ three backups quarterbacks in the preseason opener, which resulted in CB Derrick Jones no longer being part of the roster.

With Johnson and Brown out, the Jets are in serious trouble. Roberts, who is not even a natural cornerback, is now tasked with shadowing opposing star wideouts. Arthur Maulet, who entered training camp as Poole’s backup in the nickel, is starting opposite Roberts. The rest of New York’s cornerback depth is inexperienced and has not accomplished a single thing in the NFL.The Jets now find themselves essentially up a creek without a paddle before the regular season starts. In what is now a passing league, opponents will go after New York’s secondary with a vengeance. Even with Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye at safety, the Jets will be hardpressed to slow down anyone’s passing attack.Making matters worse is the fact that there’s not much Joe Douglas can do in this situation. There aren’t any known commodities on the block at this time and the free agent market doesn’t offer any solutions. Because of the past regime’s failure to add impactful cornerback depth, Douglas finds himself between a rock and a hard place.

The Jets are no stranger to adversity, but the glaring holes at cornerback put the 2019 season in dire straits earlier than anyone could’ve expected. With Sam Darnold, Bell,Mosley,Adams and plenty of other talented players on the roster,New York is finally in a position to become a winner. However, issues like these are the difference between a team that goes 7-9 and misses the playoffs and one that goes 9-7 and makes the playoffs.Where the Jets go from here remains to be seen. Frankly, there’s really not much else to do right now other than hope that Johnson and Brown come back sooner than expected, and the unproven depth behind them steps up to the plate and fills in admirably. Maybe Douglas can find a diamond in the rough, but Gang Green can’t bank on that.

If none of that happens, though, the Jets could very well go off the rails before they ever leave the station this upcoming season.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/new-york-jets-cornerback-depth-trumaine-johnson-kyron-brown-darryl-roberts-brian-poole-arthur-maulet/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, addressing the dire cornerback situation, invoked the name of Bill Belichick — a reference of Belichick's "Next-man up" philosophy. He said he can make scheme adjustments, but added, "When it's time to play, if you belong in this league, you have to show up." Williams, who believes in cross training players at multiple positions, said S Jamal Adams is a good enough athlete to play corner. But "we haven't even crossed that bridge with him."

The Jets have a major problem at cornerback right now, but it doesn’t look like Jamal Adams will be the one to solve it despite his eagerness to do so.

On Monday, Adams said he would be willing to switch to cornerback to help the Jets, as injuries to Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brown have left New York extremely thin at the position.It doesn’t look like Gregg Williams views Adams moving to corner on a full-time basis as realistic,though.Williams is a fan of cross-training his players to play multiple postions. He also believes Adams has the athleticism to play cornerback, a position he has lined up at occasionally in certain sub packages. However, Williams has not seriously considered taking Adams away from his natural position. In fact, he has not even broached the topic with the All-Pro safety.

“We haven’t even crossed that bridge with him,” Williams told reporters after Tuesday’s practice.

In Williams’ eyes, coaching and the next man up mentality will be the keys to solving New York’s dire cornerback situation. The veteran defensive coordinator can make scheme adjustments to cover up the weaknesses at the position, but players need to go out, make plays and prove that they belong at the end of the day.

“When it’s time to play, if you belong in this league, you have to show up,” Williams said.

It’s admirable that Adams is willing to switch positions to help his team, but him shifting from safety to cornerback would hurt the Jets more than it would help. Adams coming down to play corner leaves a gaping hole at strong safety, which would weaken one of the most important positions in Williams’ defense.Adams switching positions does not solve any problems. It only compounds them. Well aware of this, Williams will do all he can schematically to put the Jets in the best position to win while he awaits the return of Johnson and Brown, as well as some possible outside reinforcements.

Just don’t expect to him to have Adams lining up at corner anytime soon.

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/14/new-york-jets-dc-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-jamal-adams-cornerback/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Marcus Cooper is heading back to New Jersey.

The Rutgers product was cut by the Lions on Monday, but scooped up by the Jets on Tuesday, according to the team.Cooper, 29, is entering his seventh NFL season and has also played for the 49ers, Chiefs, Cardinals, and Bears during that span. But the journeyman could become a key piece for the Jets, given their current crop of cornerbacks.

Here are three thoughts on the Jets’ decision to sign him:

1. Smart, quick decision by Joe Douglas

The Jets’ cornerback situation was ugly entering training camp and has only gotten worse of late, with Trumaine Johnson and Kyron Brown both picking up hamstring injuries. That forced Douglas’ hand – he had to do something, fast, to add talent to this team. Cooper became available and the Jets general manager pounced quickly, which is exactly what they needed him to do here. The Jets’ cornerback room lacks experience and Cooper has 74 games - including 24 starts - under his belt. All of a sudden, he’s the team’s third-most experienced corner behind Johnson and Brian Poole. Cooper didn’t play a ton last year – just six games between the Bears and Lions – so maybe he’s slowing down a bit. But the Jets’ cornerback situation is dire. Any cornerback with some talent and veteran savvy should be welcomed. Smart pickup by Douglas here.

2. Potential Week 1 starter?

Cooper couldn’t stay on the roster with the Lions, but he may be able to take a big role right away with the Jets. If Johnson is out for a while due to injury and doesn’t make it back in time for Week 1, it’s feasible that Cooper could well be starting alongside Darryl Roberts – assuming he has enough left in the tank to leapfrog some undrafted rookies and former practice-squad talents. Even if Johnson returns in time for the regular season, Cooper should at least provide some measure of competition for Roberts and an insurance policy in case he doesn’t perform up to expectations or picks up an injury.

3. This isn’t enough

Yes, Douglas helped fill a hole here. But this is merely one patch in a dam full of leaks. He has to continue to scour the free-agent market and waiver wire as the summer drags on and camp cuts are made. Hitting the trade market wouldn’t be the worst thing, either. This can’t be the only move the Jets make to fix their cornerback situation. They need to keep doing more to build depth and prevent this position from being a massive liability in 2019.

>       https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/08/jets-land-ex-rutgers-cb-marcus-cooper-3-thoughts-on-signing.html

• 2 weeks later...

saw this..

PICK - 6

NYJ.png

Jamal Adams - S

Grade: A+ | School: LSU

The Jets drafted a stud when Adams fell to them at No. 6. He not only became an instant leader for the franchise -- infusing a level of toughness, accountability and superstar talent the team needed -- but he also earned the respect of his peers, as his place (No. 37) on the " Top 100 Players of 2019" demonstrates. The Pro Bowler ranked first among all safeties in snaps (1,119), defensive stops (44), pressures (22), sacks (4), hurries (13) and forced fumbles (3) last season, according to PFF. He's not only an incredible player, but a great ambassador for the organization. What more could you ask for ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043069/article/2017-nfl-draft-revisited-grades-for-firstrounders-two-years-in

Is Gregg Williams actually a defensive genius, a guy who has turned down multiple head coaching jobs in recent seasons (as he proudly claimed last year)?

If he is, now would be a nice time to prove it.

But if he doesn’t live up to his reputation, the Jets’ first season under coach Adam Gase could be doomed quickly.

Williams, the Jets’ new defensive coordinator, is now preparing for the Sept. 8 season opener with a group that won’t have weak-side linebacker Avery Williamson (torn ACL) all season, won’t have outside linebacker Brandon Copeland (PED suspension) for four games, and might not have cornerback Trumaine Johnson (hamstring) for Week 1 and beyond.Williams can maybe get by without Williams and Copeland (the lowest-profile player of this trio). But even with Johnson on the field, the Jets’ cornerback group didn’t scare anybody. And the Jets’ lack of depth at the position is astounding. That has to be a massive concern for Williams — just as it was before Johnson’s injury.

How will Williams address this? Perhaps by blitzing less often and leaving more coverage help in the back end of his defense?

However he does it, the Jets’ first six opponents — Bills, Browns, Patriots, Eagles, Cowboys, Patriots again — will test Williams’ defense ... and the notion that he is a guru. (On Saturday night, the Jets’ starting defense gets a rehearsal opportunity against Saints quarterback Drew Brees in the third preseason game, the final one in which starters will play.)Williams has happily embraced that reputation over the years, particularly while crowing as Cleveland’s interim head coach last year. And the numbers support it, to a degree.

Williams has 20 seasons of NFL head coaching or defensive coordinator experience. In nine of those seasons, he has finished in the top nine of Football Outsiders’ defensive DVOA ratings. But he also has six finishes of 24th or worse (though none since 2011).In Williams’ other five seasons, he has finished 12th and 16th (with the Browns the past two seasons), plus 17th, 17th, and 18th. Williams’ average DVOA finish over 20 seasons — 14.75. He has been very good the past five seasons — 12th (in 2018), 16th, sixth, seventh, and ninth.

If Williams wants that trend of success to continue this season, he must clear some early hurdles, especially in his secondary — or watch a slow start trip up Gase’s debut season before it really even gets going.

>      https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/08/if-gregg-williams-really-is-a-defensive-genius-he-must-prove-it-immediately-with-jets-or-their-season-could-be-doomed.html

-- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Mr. Fix It: Whenever an issue pops up on defense, coach Adam Gase likes to say, "That's why we have Gregg Williams." Gase has tremendous faith in his defensive coordinator, an old-school taskmaster who uses new-school creativity to confuse opponents.Williams faces a formidable challenge in the coming weeks. He lost linebacker Avery Williamson to a season-ending knee injury, linebacker Brandon Copeland to a four-game suspension and No. 1 cornerback Trumaine Johnson to a hamstring injury. Unless Johnson does some quick healing, the Jets will open the season with Darryl Roberts at one cornerback spot, Brian Poole in the slot and anybody's guess who will be on the other side.

Can Williams tweak his X's and O's to camouflage the problems? Former Jets coach Rex Ryan, who is a noted defensive guru, doesn't believe the situation is as dire as many are portraying it. He believes Williams can manage the issue ... to a point."He's real simple on first and second down," Ryan said in a phone interview. "He's going to play either Cover 2 or Tampa 2 -- and both of those corners will be protected [by safeties]. Where it's going to be an issue is third down, because third down is when he becomes multiple. That's when he uses the pressure packages. It could hurt him on third down."

Third down, of course, is the money down. That's when Williams dials up exotic blitzes in an attempt to pressure the quarterback into throwing quickly. He has built his reputation as a mad scientist on third down, so it's hard to imagine him going vanilla.As for linebacker, Williams can adjust by playing more 4-3 fronts and fewer 3-4 looks. He likes to mix it up anyway. Let's not forget, the Jets will be in nickel about 60 percent of the time, meaning he will employ only two linebackers in most situations. His favored look is a 4-2-5 alignment.The double hit at linebacker makes you wonder if general manager Joe Douglas will dial up the Houston Texans to see if Jadeveon Clowney is available. If not, it'll be next-man-up for Williams, whose creativity will be put to the test.

rest of above article :
 > https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80667/how-jets-mastermind-gregg-williams-can-scheme-around-defensive-issues

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

Nate Hairston isn't a cure-all for the Jets' cornerback situation, but he provides depth and versatility (can play inside and outside). He struggled last season with the Colts, allowing a 122.9 passer rating when he was the nearest defender in coverage, per NFL Next Gen Stats. He played press coverage only 16 percent of his snaps (league average: 27 percent), so you have to wonder about his scheme fit with the Jets. There's a chance he would've been released this weekend. Clearly, the Jets didn't want to take that chance and gave up a sixth-round pick.

>    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets