That was a well-coached team last night.

DetroitRed

I was not expecting much last night and don't expect many, if any wins this season. I will judge the coaching staff on how prepared the team is and if they are giving true effort. Based on what I saw, there has been some positive changes on both sides of the ball. No stupid penalties, everybody knew their role, and the whole team seemed like they were well organized.  The improvement Hackenberg has shown is a credit to Morton and his staff. Its only one appearance, but most years young Jet Qbs don't develop much at all. And the defense looked like an inspired unit that knew what they were doing out there.  I am not a Bowles supporter or detractor, but that was an improved job last night.

Too many penalties but generally agree.  It should also be noted that the tackling was overall very solid which was refreshing to see. Remember Bowles 1st preseason game a couple years ago, the tackling was atrocious and worse than a high school team. The increased contact in TC is already paying dividends.

9 or 10 penalties but none were stupid. K

Coaching PS game 1 scared and not to lose in typical Bowles fashion, and sitting on a 7-3 lead like it was the SB. K

Agree, player attitude and compatriotism much better than last year as expected with young hungry players trying to make an NFL roster. I keep saying how impressed I was with the DL running laps during time outs and looking like they were enjoying it.

Overall I was happy with last night and feel we will not be anywhere near as terrible as forecasted, at least not on D.

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Too many penalties but generally agree.  It should also be noted that the tackling was overall very solid which was refreshing to see. Remember Bowles 1st preseason game a couple years ago, the tackling was atrocious and worse than a high school team. The increased contact in TC is already paying dividends.

Coleman made mention of this last night during the post game.  There was very little to no actual stupid penalties.  Instead there was a lot of "effort" penalties (holding type calls where you don't want your player to take a hit or try to give them an edge/ late hit type things)  What we didn't see were false starts, line of scrimmage issues, too many men in huddle and so on.  I think we did looks surprisingly disciplined for the 1st preseason game with a lot of young kids and new systems in place.  

Of course I want those holding penalties removed before regular season but I thought it was interesting hearing a former player calling them "effort" penalties in preseason and coaches for the most part don't grade them too harshly.

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

They had 2 whole penalties at the half.  Could care less what the 4th stringers did, not that I saw an excess amount of flags fly in a 1st preseason game

14 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I must emphasize that I will not judge this team on Ws and Ls. The team can be better than expected and still lose a ton of games. As far as not going downfield, they probably are doing what works best at the moment. Maybe later in the year

You are 100% correct here.  

As you posted elsewhere it is probably fantasy land to think that this Jets team can win 7 or 8 games or more;  but it can be thoroughly entertaining to watch a team play hard from the opening whistle to the final gun. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You are 100% correct here.  

As you posted elsewhere it is probably fantasy land to think that this Jets team can win 7 or 8 games or more;  but it can be thoroughly entertaining to watch a team play hard from the opening whistle to the final gun. 

You want to see progress and potential out of a team this ridiculously young.  To expect more, to judge the HC, GM and this team differently is to not understand what you are looking at and on the fan expecting more

So let me see ;

The offense wasted 2 time outs, 1 each in the early part of both halves.

The defense wasted a time out in the early part of the 1st half

The offensive line can't run block without holding 

The receivers can't catch and can't block in space without holding .

Yet, the team was well coached based off of what we saw last night .

Funny, I saw all these same issues last yr all year and all I read was how poorly the team was coached  .

21 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

So let me see ;

The offense wasted 2 time outs, 1 each in the early part of both halves.

Funny, I saw all these same issues last yr all year and all I read was how poorly the team was coached  .

The team looked better if but for the fact that the loafing Revis was not out there.  Our team played hard, I like that.

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The team looked better if but for the fact that the loafing Revis was not out there.  Our team played hard, I like that.

Coaches coach and Players play and it will always be that way . I remember hearing a now HOF HC say "I don't coach penalties or turnovers" .   You learn what you are taught, but you do what you know .

So let me see ; The offense wasted 2 time outs, 1 each in the early part of both halves.

Wow ... time was running out both those time outs ... were they not both in he first half and throw away time outs anyway in order to prevent a penalty???

3 Drops by guys that won't be on the team.

OL looked surprisingly solid. The run scheme will

way better as the year progresses ... it's a new system ...

But don't let facts get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

44 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Hackenberg wasted the timeouts, if you were paying attention. Its forgivable, if you consider he improved  (so far) in other areas.  We would hope he will improve in that area moving forward

Mariotta should have burned a TO, but he just sat there and watched the clock tick down. Maybe they should release him and we can pick him up. If the worse thing you can say about Hack in the first preseason game of the year is that he burned 2 TOs - that is a better start than our wondrous media led us to expect.

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wow ... time was running out both those time outs ... were they not both in he first half and throw away time outs anyway in order to prevent a penalty???

3 Drops by guys that won't be on the team.

OL looked surprisingly solid. The run scheme will

way better as the year progresses ... it's a new system ...

But don't let facts get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Facts are dependent on what the user uses them for .  You for example used your facts on me because you thought I was attacking a player I wanted the Jets to draft and is hoping he makes a few posters around here consider jumping off whatever bridge is closest to them . 

I have no problem with the performance of Hackenberg last night of the way the team looked .  I make statements that causes people to think . 

Archived