Warfish's Postgame Thoughts: Jets vs. Titans

Warfish

Sorry in advance for the late response, as with all Preseason games, I wind up watching them after the fact.  Being out of market kinda sucks (and too cheap to pay for Game Pass).:lol:

Jets v. Titans Observations:

This will be a bit QB Heavy, since that's the real question right now.

-Unless there is a MAJOR change in playing time allotments in Preseason Game #2, the first preseason game made it very clear that McCown is the #1, Hackenberg the #2 and Petty is simply not in the mix at all.  I expect to see a very standard preseason time allotment going forward, McCown plays the entire first and into the 2nd next week.  McCown plays three quarters in PS Week 3.  And one quarter or less in the last PS game.  Hackenberg gets the vast bulk of other playing time in PS wk.s 2 and 3, with Petty getting the trash time in the final PS game.  

-McCown looked fine.  The long bomb was nice, but was more Robinson's adjustment and quality catch than McCown's perfect throw.  Other than that, too little to go on yet.  But we can expect typical McCown.

-McCown looked VERY active as a "teacher/leader" last night.  He was all over the sideline talking to players and working with them (it appeared), especially Hackenberg and Petty.  There might be some value to this, although I continue to say that if we need a Coach, hire a Coach, not a #1 QB.

-Hackenberg looked worlds better than we last say him in PS Game #4 last year (the only play we have to go on till last night).  He was generally crisp and accurate running the dnk-dunk West Coast Pennington-style offense he's being asked to run.  He was obviously much worse on any throw longer than 10 yards, which is still a major concern.  But overall, I would say this was actually a rather solid and good way for Hack to start the preseason in 2017.  The mistakes were mostly minor and of the young/learning/preseason-mixed-players variety and forgivable.  He at the very least looked like a NFL QB during his stint.  Lets hope he can build on this in the next two games.

-If Petty is indeed just flat out of any running for anything, then I'm glad Hackenberg got so much more playing time than I expected.  He needs the work and experience.  Sad to see PEtty so forgotten now, but I presume his play in practise has earned that.  Or he's not getting a fair shake, hard to say really, he didn't do much last night to show us otherwise.

-Running back, without Powell, looks downright atrocious.  The O-Line's ability to run also looked pretty atrocious.  Lets hope that as Powell and Forte (ugh) come back and play, and the O-line solidifies as to who the starting 5 are, that this aspect improves materially.  We need this O-line and Running game to help support whomever plays QB if we want to be in games at all.

-We do not need any more WR's.  We have an entire roster of young, hungry, WR's with potential.  Plugging in some over the hill Veteran will not improve this crew or change our fate in 2017.  Like with the QB's, we must use this year to fully flesh out who and what we have at WR, as we have more younger, talented WR's than we have available spots for them.  I look forward to watching this battle for the roster play out the next few weeks.  Have faith, while we WILL have lots of drops this year, we won;t be the worst in the NFL in drops again (I predict) and we will have better WR play than we got overall in 2016.  And maybe we'll find we actually have a starter or three at that spot.  Would have liked to see more, earlier, from the two young draft picks, but that's just the way the NFL is.  Neither were drafted to be day 1 starters.

-Nice to see the TE's involved.  At all.  Looking forward to more of that.

-Defense (starting) looked pretty good, all things considered we do have ALOT of talent on the Defensive side of the ball.  Doubters can doubt, but talent wise this is not a 2-14 level of talent on the Defense, and they very likely will keep the Jets in games for a long while each week. The D-line and LB's are obviously talented and (if the scheme is good) should generate pressure.  The two young safeties were....well, they played, I guess.  I didn't notice them making any impact, but that's Safeties for you.  It's not criticism of them, it's just that safeties can only do so much.  Corner is still a sore spot/weakness, but like at WR I think we simply have to let this year play out, and let whatever talent we have there earn a spot in the longer future (or not).  Overall, the D looked and played pretty well.  Lets hope it wasn't just PS Game #1 vanilla luck, and that this unit may recover from it's near-worst-in-NFL debacle of last year.

-Apart from welcoming back the dink-dunk West Coast offense (memories of Chad), I have little comment on Coaching.  It's preseason game #1, there really wasn't much coaching going on.  We weren't bad on penalties for a PS #1 game, so that's good.  But otherwise, it was bland vanilla all the way round, on both sides, so judging Bowles and Co. is impossible as yet.

-What I will say is that the team appears more unified, and less broken, than last year.  Dumping the Veterans was almost assuredly the right call for this franchise, and will pay dividends in the long term.  Hopefully the few remaining unhappy campers (Sheldon?) can hold their sh*t together long enough to not destroy the locker and the youth movement this year.  Bowles unquestionably lost this team last year, any denial is pure PR, so Bowles better ensure he doesn't lose it again with a roster almost 100% full of kids.  His future is (and should) be on the line in this aspect.

Specials looked, typical.  I.e. weak.  No returns of note really.  Punting was bleh.  And the new kicker has leg, but his accuracy is still TDB.

In conclusion, not a horrible first Preseason game.  Would have liked to see more points, but that's typical of opening PS games, where the D is usually far ahead of the O at this stage.  I liked seeing Hack get material playing time, and that he played, generally, pretty well and seems to get the offensive system.  His long balls need a metric sh*t ton of work, but that's not impossible to improve.  The fact (IMO) that McCown is clearly the #1 is a bit disappointing but expected honestly.  I doubt we see Hack start till either mid-season or later (once we're out of contention) or unless McCown gets hurt.  If we compete, and McCown stays healthy, this could easily wind up as Redshirt year #2 for Hack (not that that helps us know what to do next draft).

I'll say this, I agree with the players, this team is not cashing it in, nor planning on losing on purpose, no matter what fans (or even the GM) may want.  They are young, fast, hungry and will play hard, and will likely play with "wants to earn a damn job" passion for at least the first half of the year if we can stay even remotely competitive.  The D will keep us in alot of games (or it should) and the O might just surprise if the Running game, O-line and WR's show a little something (I know, there is ALOT in flux on O this year).  

Looking forward to seeing how this roster starts to pan out going through PS Games #2 and #3.  We may suck this year, but we won't (I think) be boring, and we'll have ALOT of young players to watch develop, and really, that's about the best we realistically can hope for in 2017.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry in advance for the late response, as with all Preseason games, I wind up watching them after the fact.  being out of market kinda sucks (and too cheap to pay for Game Pass).

Jets v. Titans Observations:

This will be a bit QB Heavy, since that's the real question right now.

-Unless there is a MAJOR change in playing time allotments in Preseason Game #2, the first preseason game made it very clear that McCown is the #1, Hackenberg the #2 and Petty is simply not in the mix at all.  I expect to see a very standard preseason time allotment going forward, McCown plays the entire first and into the 2nd next week.  McCown plays three quarters in PS Week 3.  And one quarter or less in the last PS game.  Hackenberg gets the vast bulk of other playing time in PS wk.s 2 and 3, with Petty getting the trash time in the final PS game.  

-McCown looked fine.  The long bomb was nice, but was more Robinson's adjustment and quality catch than McCown's perfect throw.  Other than that, too little to go on yet.  But we can expect typical McCown.

-McCown looked VERY active as a "teacher/leader" last night.  He was all over the sideline talking to players and working with them (it appeared), especially Hackenberg and Petty.  There might be some value to this, although I continue to say that if we need a Coach, hire a Coach, not a #1 QB.

-Hackenberg looked worlds better than we last say him in PS Game #4 last year (the only play we have to go on till last night).  He was generally crisp and accurate running the dnk-dunk West Coast Pennington-style offense he's being asked to run.  He was obviously much worse on any throw longer than 10 yards, which is still a major concern.  But overall, I would say this was actually a rather solid and good way for Hack to start the preseason in 2017.  The mistakes were mostly minor and of the young/learning/preseason-mixed-players variety and forgivable.  He at the very least looked like a NFL QB during his stint.  Lets hope he can build on this in the next two games.

-If Petty is indeed just flat out of any running for anything, then I'm glad Hackenberg got so much more playing time than I expected.  He needs the work and experience.  Sad to see PEtty so forgotten now, but I presume his play in practise has earned that.  Or he's not getting a fair shake, hard to say really, he didn't do much last night to show us otherwise.

-Running back, without Powell, looks downright atrocious.  The O-Line's ability to run also looked pretty atrocious.  Lets hope that as Powell and Forte (ugh) come back and play, and the O-line solidifies as to who the starting 5 are, that this aspect improves materially.  We need this O-line and Running game to help support whomever plays QB if we want to be in games at all.

-We do not need any more WR's.  We have an entire roster of young, hungry, WR's with potential.  Plugging in some over the hill Veteran will not improve this crew or change our fate in 2017.  Like with the QB's, we must use this year to fully flesh out who and what we have at WR, as we have more younger, talented WR's than we have available spots for them.  I look forward to watching this battle for the roster play out the next few weeks.  Have faith, while we WILL have lots of drops this year, we won;t be the worst in the NFL in drops again (I predict) and we will have better WR play than we got overall in 2016.  And maybe we'll find we actually have a starter or three at that spot.  Would have liked to see more, earlier, from the two young draft picks, but that's just the way the NFL is.  Neither were drafted to be day 1 starters.

-Nice to see the TE's involved.  At all.  Looking forward to more of that.

-Defense (starting) looked pretty good, all things considered we do have ALOT of talent on the Defensive side of the ball.  Doubters can doubt, but talent wise this is not a 2-14 level of talent on the Defense, and they very likely will keep the Jets in games for a long while each week. The D-line and LB's are obviously talented and (if the scheme is good) should generate pressure.  The two young safeties were....well, they played, I guess.  I didn't notice them making any impact, but that's Safeties for you.  It's not criticism of them, it's just that safeties can only do so much.  Corner is still a sore spot/weakness, but like at WR I think we simply have to let this year play out, and let whatever talent we have there earn a spot in the longer future (or not).  Overall, the D looked and played pretty well.  Lets hope it wasn't just PS Game #1 vanilla luck, and that this unit may recover from it's near-worst-in-NFL debacle of last year.

-Apart from welcoming back the dink-dunk West Coast offense (memories of Chad), I have little comment on Coaching.  It's preseason game #1, there really wasn't much coaching going on.  We weren't bad on penalties for a PS #1 game, so that's good.  But otherwise, it was bland vanilla all the way round, on both sides, so judging Bowles and Co. is impossible as yet.

-What I will say is that the team appears more unified, and less broken, than last year.  Dumping the Veterans was almost assuredly the right call for this franchise, and will pay dividends in the long term.  Hopefully the few remaining unhappy campers (Sheldon?) can hold their sh*t together long enough to not destroy the locker and the youth movement this year.  Bowles unquestionably lost this team last year, any denial is pure PR, so Bowles better ensure he doesn't lose it again with a roster almost 100% full of kids.  His future is (and should) be on the line in this aspect.

Specials looked, typical.  I.e. weak.  No returns of note really.  Punting was bleh.  And the new kicker has leg, but his accuracy is still TDB.

In conclusion, not a horrible first Preseason game.  Would have liked to see more points, but that's typical of opening PS games, where the D is usually far ahead of the O at this stage.  I liked seeing Hack get material playing time, and that he played, generally, pretty well and seems to get the offensive system.  His long balls need a metric sh*t ton of work, but that's not impossible to improve.  The fact (IMO) that McCown is clearly the #1 is a bit disappointing but expected honestly.  I doubt we see Hack start till either mid-season or later (once we're out of contention) or unless McCown gets hurt.  If we compete, and McCown stays healthy, this could easily wind up as Redshirt year #2 for Hack (not that that helps us know what to do next draft).

I'll say this, I agree with the players, this team is not cashing it in, nor planning on losing on purpose, no matter what fans (or even the GM) may want.  They are young, fast, hungry and will play will likely play with "wants to earn a damn job" passion for at least the first half of the year if we can stay even remotely competitive.  The D will keep us in alot of games (or it should) and the O might just surprise if the Running game, O-line and WR's show a little something (I know, there is ALOT in flux on O this year).  

Looking forward to seeing how this roster starts to pan out going through PS Games #2 and #3.  We may suck this year, but we won't (I think) be boring, and we'll have ALOT of young players to watch develop, and really, that's about the best we realistically can hope for in 2017.

With respect to his deep passes, it looked to me that the WR was well covered on both occasions (the third was  just a throw away to avoid a sack which is what he needs to do). If anything, I'd be more worried about any deep passes he didn't make because he didn't know the guy was open/lack of vision.  

I thought the game was a pleasant surprise.

the jets looked much better than the doom and bloomers predicted. There are a lot of new faces, almost like I was watching another team. Very odd.

i wouldn't be surprised if this d is very good. They are fast and hungry. Claiborne is good, if he can stay healthy that a Regis upgrade. I like some lb play. The line, in theory, should be dominant. The safety situation, if it pans out, might also be very solid.

hack looked wolds better. I don't care about McGowan......his chapter has long ago been written. Hack needs support and playing time. No matter what, we need to grab a qg in the first.

a few things.....the team looked fast, hungry and well coached. There's some fire up their asses and no distractions

maybe we win 6 or 7

I guess the safeties were hard to see on TV? Because live they both looked like they were all over the field. On one play it looked like Tenn was trying to catch Adams staring in the backfield and he recovered well. Pryor for instance would still, right now, be wondering what was going on.

I didnt see a single long pass that Hack attempted that he should have completed.  Hard to call it an issue given there wasnt a WR downfield with separation.  Cant find reason to be worried off of this one game 

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I guess the safeties were hard to see on TV? Because live they both looked like they were all over the field. On one play it looked like Tenn was trying to catch Adams staring in the backfield and he recovered well. Pryor for instants would still, right now, be wondering what was going on.

They were everywhere and helped keep Tenn starters from moving the ball downfield and kept their WRs in check.  Adams in particular lined up everywhere.  

Can you imagine if the S's and Hack play as Macc expected when he scripted these drafts?

All the moronic Hack sucks, sight unseen and S's are wasted picks, Macc is a f'n moron, you're a homer contingent will need to find a rock to crawl under.

one of the leading candidates just keeps neg reping me, follows me obsessed over every post.  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can you imagine if the S's and Hack play as Macc expected when he scripted these drafts?

All the moronic Hack sucks, sight unseen and S's are wasted picks, Macc is a f'n moron, you're a homer contingent will need to find a rock to crawl under.

Maybe Thadude will spend more time paying attention to his middle school teachers

I enjoyed Warfish post!

I just think that the coaching was extremely good last night.  

IMO if we are going to hold Bowles accountable (and we should) for when the team is lacking effort, seems disinterested, unprofessional and disorganized; then we should give Bowles credit when the defense looks fast and ferocious, the team seems prepared and the players are crisp and disciplined.

Just one preseason game I know, but I thought the team as a whole seemed more cohesive on both sides of the ball then at any time last year

4 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

I also agree, team looked pretty solid... we might miss out on a top 5 pick now, but do we have something cooking with Hack?  Reasons to watch this season for sure

Hack looked as good or better  than any Rookie QB out there. Being redshirted and not seeing any playing time last year it was a good maiden voyage for him. Now if he can continue to progress the Jets potentially have their QB.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Hack looked as good or better  than any Rookie QB out there. Being redshirted and not seeing any playing time last year it was a good maiden voyage for him. Now if he can continue to progress the Jets potentially have their QB.

Hackenberg is not a rookie but yes he looked good last night. 

If Bowles actually handles the QB position the way you expect it he should be fired on the spot. If anything Hackenberg's performance was good enough to start from day 1 and learn himself into the role. Personality aside are people forgetting McClown is NOT a starting level QB. It is Fitzpatrick all over again. We are finally rebuilding dont toss it all away on some veteran retread.

51 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Exactly win lose or draw good or bad let Hackenberg play.

Winning aside, in many ways the game was what we thought would happen, wasn't it?

We'll definitely do well on defense this year and it'll keep us in games but I just don't see the offense doing enough to win through.

I think a top 5 pick is still very much on the cards 

Agree with macro-level sentiments outlined here. I was surprised how the defense looked like entirely different team out there. No trace of "rex's boys" and whole Tanny era vibe. I mean seriously, those LBs were snapping necks. WRs looked focused. Organized... still missing a DGB though. Hack appears vastly improved relative to QB-basics which have eluded him for years now.  Interesting to see where that goes. Cautiously optimistic? Worst-case, we may have a very functional back-up QB for the next half decade or so.

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If Bowles actually handles the QB position the way you expect it he should be fired on the spot. If anything Hackenberg's performance was good enough to start from day 1 and learn himself into the role. Personality aside are people forgetting McClown is NOT a starting level QB. It is Fitzpatrick all over again. We are finally rebuilding dont toss it all away on some veteran retread.

Yes one way or another the Hack question needs to be answered by the 2018 draft

So if Hack looks the part and the Jets still have a shot at he top QB, are you suggesting they punt ?

That's an interesting question...I think NE is enjoying having two top notch QB's with Brady and Garrappolo.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

So if Hack looks the part and the Jets still have a shot at he top QB, are you suggesting they punt ?

Guess it depends on how the cards fall and who is available/they like the look of. If they're sure about Hack being the part then they'd have to seriously consider whether they can afford to spend a first round pick on a QB

Just now, SwanseaJack said:

Guess it depends on how the cards fall and who is available/they like the look of. If they're sure about Hack being the part then they'd have to seriously consider whether they can afford to spend a first round pick on a QB

Presently, who would you give more draft picks for, Mack or Carr  ?

Do people forget Geno smith and Mark Sanchez started week 1 their rookie years? Absolutely no reason to start Mccown now that Hackenberg has sohwn he is capable of running the system. 4-12 with Hack is a lot better than at best 7-9 with Mccown. Unfortunately Bowles has the power to decide over Macagnan.

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I thought the game was a pleasant surprise.

the jets looked much better than the doom and bloomers predicted. There are a lot of new faces, almost like I was watching another team. Very odd.

i wouldn't be surprised if this d is very good. They are fast and hungry. Claiborne is good, if he can stay healthy that a Regis upgrade. I like some lb play. The line, in theory, should be dominant. The safety situation, if it pans out, might also be very solid.

hack looked wolds better. I don't care about McGowan......his chapter has long ago been written. Hack needs support and playing time. No matter what, we need to grab a qg in the first.

a few things.....the team looked fast, hungry and well coached. There's some fire up their asses and no distractions

maybe we win 6 or 7

Clairborne is excellent.  For 6-10 games a year.   He is an excellent player who has never made it through a full season.

4 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Do people forget Geno smith and Mark Sanchez started week 1 their rookie years? Absolutely no reason to start Mccown now that Hackenberg has sohwn he is capable of running the system. 4-12 with Hack is a lot better than at best 7-9 with Mccown. Unfortunately Bowles has the power to decide over Macagnan.

They're many ways to interpret this post . I'm going with the sarcasm meter on stun  

3 minutes ago, SwanseaJack said:

So let's say Hack looks like a franchise QB but we still get a top 3 pick... you'd still go for another QB?

I'm either taking the QB or trading the pick to the highest bidder . Do you realize what folks were offering for Jimmy G and what they gave up for Goff ?  

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I'm either taking the QB or trading the pick to the highest bidder . Do you realize what folks were offering for Jimmy G and what they gave up for Goff ?  

Oh I don't disagree with that at all. Unless of course there's some exceptional genuine top few picks talent in a position we need to upgrade.

A decent trade could really set us up for years to come though 

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Why do people think McClown could win more games than Haclk? He is terrible.

I think Mccown is number 1 just by experience not by any certain coaches decision. Not yet anyway. 

They clearly want Hack to learn this offense and show that he can run this team. He wouldn't be getting the extra reps and playing time with the ones if they didn't. They hope he takes the job but they're also not gonna force it and rush him. No reason to really. 

Archived