Robbie Anderson

Augustiniak

How good is he?  He has height and speed, and showed very good hands/eyes adjusting to McCown's throw last night.  Also showed some moves on the quick outs.  Is he part of the wr corps in a few years, or is he merely a one trick pony who is gone when they finally get around to drafting better ones?

DeSean Jackson has made a pretty good living as a one-trick pony.  With all the work Robby is putting in with Chad Johnson, I'd imagine he'll pick up a few tricks of the trade in getting past people.

Its on the coaching staff to get him in motion, in a stacked formation, or in the slot in order to get around his inability to beat press coverage.  Yes he can improve by adding some strength and with technique improvements, but he's simply never going to be a physical, strong guy.

That being said he plays the game at a different speed then everyone else, has good hands and attacks the ball when its in the air.

Hopefully morton starts to use him in ways to take advantage of his skill

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

How good is he?  He has height and speed, and showed very good hands/eyes adjusting to McCown's throw last night.  Also showed some moves on the quick outs.  Is he part of the wr corps in a few years, or is he merely a one trick pony who is gone when they finally get around to drafting better ones?

I never saw Anderson at the college level, so I had no idea about him . The 1st time I watch him in action the name that came to mind was Marvin Harrison of the Colts . IMO, he has that type of potential .

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

As I stated in another thread, Robby Anderson is really, really good. The Jets look good at WR. This will be a stellar group going forward. Robby has been doing some work

I agree with you here and I believe Cherron Peake is going to be another player we talk about as a late round draft steal.  

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The speed is legit, but he'll basically be a gimmick player until he's able to beat press coverage.

That was my opinion of him also, but i was watching him last night.  he's a lot more then just a sprinter, kid has a lot of legit moves and sharp cuts.  If he can figure out a way to get off the LOS clean, he may be a handful

18 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That was my opinion of him also, but i was watching him last night.  he's a lot more then just a sprinter, kid has a lot of legit moves and sharp cuts.  If he can figure out a way to get off the LOS clean, he may be a handful

They can always put him in motion 

18 hours ago, peebag said:

He's ok but we really need some else to play out of their mind if the team is to have any success this year

And this is why we needed to get rid of Decker .  All these QBs need to learn to find a receiver in the progression instead of steering at 1 who they know will find a way to be open .

He needs to start eating a lot more, hitting the weight room harder, and maybe start lifting with Hack (who looks a lot thicker this year). 

If he loses a .1 or .01 from his forty but not get manhandled at the line, that would be a good tradeoff. Hes fast enough to give a tiny bit back.

I'm happy to see an undrafted player like Anderson getting time to shine but I have my doubts about how well he'll do in a bigger role.

In the most effective version of this year's decidedly short yard/horizontal Jets offense Anderson would be used to keep defenses honest by blowing their top once or twice a game.

But in order to do that he'll not only have to beat the best outside Corners on every team, mostly by beating their press with his skinny frame, but he's gonna have to master every route in the tree and regularly contribute outside of home run passes just so defenses will have a lot to think about. And oh yeah Morton seems to be a stickler for perfection so those are gonna have to be PERFECT routes too.

So you know, just overcome the two biggest weaknesses in your game over the next month. No big deal. This man has his work cut out for him.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

he's an ideal #3 guy who could fill in for the #2 guy for 3 weeks due to injury.  Being the #1 guy on this team will give him great experience for next year when hopefully he is back to the #3 role

Down the road, a #3 guy who gets covered by a #3 slot DB.  I like his odds of creating space right off the line of scrimmage in that situation.  I initially slammed this guy as a being too flawed and a bit of a fluke.  I now think, if used properly and with the right match ups, he is a legit and consistent big play weapon.  Getting the right match-ups sometimes trump outright talent.  He is a one trick donkey with hands.  Put him in the right situations and he will beat defenses like rented mules.

Losing Q blows! 

Q is a handful with his size & speed combo. Our young pups are gonna have to grow up really fast. We need Peake to take it to another level. If Decker didn't get hurt he'd still be here but after watching him last night I think the rebuilding Jets made the right decision.

If, and that's a big IF, Q can come back 100%, the Jets should try to go after Deandre Hopkins next year! Hopkins, Q, Anderson, Stewart, Peake & Hansen would be a nice mix of size & speed. 

Hopkins & Anderson wide would be a nightmare for CBs & Safeties if ASJ & Leggette become legit! I see Stewart as a strong slot guy in this WCO.

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

DeSean Jackson has made a pretty good living as a one-trick pony.  With all the work Robby is putting in with Chad Johnson, I'd imagine he'll pick up a few tricks of the trade in getting past people.

Or beating up his girlfriend. 

I have stated this many times before.  Robby has a very high ceiling.  He is skinny.  So what?!?!

NFL skill position offensive players come in all shapes and sizes. 

WRs; Guys as big as Kelvin Benjamin and Terrell Owens.  Some as little as Steve Smith Jr., TY Hilton, and Wayne Chrebet. 

A WR's effectiveness is based on creating separation. Something Robby does with seemingly little effort.  He is tall, blazing fast, and changes direction fluidly.  As we saw last year, he will have some big games. Smart teams, like New England did last year, will take him away.   He is the Jets best offensive weapon, Quincy Enunwa or not.  Teams didnt fear QE, they fear Robby because he is the only player that can help the Jets score quickly instead of trying to sustain long drives.  Robby is not a "gimmick or one-trick pony."

FTR;  RBs are the same thing; Guys as big as Brandon Jacobs and Jerome Bettis.  As small as Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead.  Some are fast.  Some are quick. Some are powerful.  Some have all 3.  Their effectiveness is judged on gaining positive yardage.  That's all that matters.

I was concerned about the extent he was fighting for yardage on Saturday.

I think he is the type of guy who gets open, catches the ball and gets out of bounds or goes down easy.  We do not need him getting hurt.  If he gets hurt, we are doomed.

But I also like Peake's size, strength, etc.  I think he has a decent year.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:15 AM, dbatesman said:

The speed is legit, but he'll basically be a gimmick player until he's able to beat press coverage.

If that gimmick is getting open deep and beating defenders, we could use a few more receivers with that "gimmick".  

23 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I agree with you here and I believe Cherron Peake is going to be another player we talk about as a late round draft steal.  

There is a certain poster on this board who thinks we should cut him.  I won't embarass him by mentioning his name but I was like, wow, can we give the guy a chance, lol.    Peake has the ability to develop into a "prototypical" big receiver but with excellent speed.   He just needs to play to his size and strength more frequently and that comes with more reps and coaching.   

On 8/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, Augustiniak said:

I really don't get this one trick pony narrative; the guy demonstrates on this video that he is capable of running multiple routes and has tremendous leaping ability, going up and snatching the ball out of the air on several occasions.  The fact he has blazing speed and great acceleration on go routes is a "trick" we can definitely use more of. 

On 8/13/2017 at 2:22 PM, rangerous said:

robby will be much better if the jets can find some wr alternatives to the pressure off.  if teams are able to double him he will be that much less effective.  if stewart, hansen, or peake turn into legit 2 or 3 wr's then robby will be on his way.

You can pretty much say that about every receiver but I agree with you.  I think Peake really steps up; I will be looking to see more from Stewart and Hansen over the next few weeks.   I also think we might see Leggett or ASJ spread out in some receiver formations as well to help Robbie and also take advantage of their receiver skills.   One name to keep an eye on is that converted Quarterback, TE Jason Vanderleen.   

Archived