Josh McCown earns praise, will see expanded action against Lions

Gas2No99

39 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

It is hardly unreasonable to want the rest of the offense to run through some drives with a QB who knows the scheme. The rest of the offense, which has a lot of young players, needs to get comfortable with it, too. They can't be completely limited by Hack (or Petty) developing as players individually and as part of the offense. All those other players need to be evaluated, too. FFS it's preseason game two.

Except there is really nothing to suggest that Hack does not know the scheme. In fact a couple reporters tweeted that Hack actually looked the most comfortable in getting into the play and making adjustmnets at the LOS in yesterdays practice.

Why can't you folks trust that the people getting this team ready to play on Sundays know what they're doing more so than you do . Every critique of these coaches regarding the QBs that I have read from the signing of Josh Mccown has been proven false . Even the Hack will never star a game for the Jets crowd is now begging for him to be given the ball instead of forcing McCown down our throats . 

Let the process play out and see where it ends .  All this other garbage just creates "I told you so" situations that leads to name calling and bickering .

"Why can't we all just get along" especially since the vast majority of us all want the same thing ?   

Can you really blame Bowles? If he doesn't win he's going to get fired. Obviously he wants to play the guy who gives him the best chance to win games, and that's probably McCown. It really all leads back to Woody, the hires he made, the mandates, the moves, the organizational structure. Why should Bowles care about the future of the team is he isn't going to be part of it?

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Can you really blame Bowles? If he doesn't win he's going to get fired. Obviously he wants to play the guy who gives him the best chance to win games, and that's probably McCown. It really all leads back to Woody, the hires he made, the mandates, the moves, the organizational structure. Why should Bowles care about the future of the team is he isn't going to be part of it?

Every HC goes out trying to win as many games as possible.  Has nothing to do with the fear of being fired.  For one Woody has said he wont get fired, coaching to lose will get him fired though.  And if he were fired Id assume he wants another job, which given how well hes viewed is not out of the realm of possibility, unless of course he went out and purposely tried to lose games for an imaginary franchise QB that may not even exist a year from now

3 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have a new offense this year, new pieces on the OL, and a completely overhauled receiver corps. Josh McCown has run this offense before. I have no problem at all with the Jets giving McCown the first month of the season while the OL gels and the players settle into the new system. By week #5, on the road against Cleveland, Hackenberg has to be in there. Away from the ornery home crowd against what will probably be the weakest opponent on the Jets' schedule, there'll be no better time to trot him out there. Give him a chance to have some early success. 

They have to give him more than half the season not only to evaluate him but to give him a chance to grow into the job before the season's up. He needs to face adversity and bounce back from it. He needs to have ample opportunity to screw up and recover. And the Jets have to take a long hard look at him, no matter how hard it might be to look. I understand the concept that they might be doing the rest of the team a disservice if he's truly terrible, but they have to see that in actual games and try to coach him thru it. They have to know as much as they possibly can about Hackenberg by the end of the season. That has to be the priority here. 

I'd really prefer it if this coach didn't have me rooting for losses or an injury to McCown (nothing serious!) just because he can't see the big picture. 

I think that is their plan. I really do. They have tape on Petty and they obviously know what they feel about him.

They are trying to bring Hack along and they know this year is about evaluating him. You can't end this season without knowing if he is the QB of the future or not.

I think he will be, but it will play out on the field.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every HC goes out trying to win as many games as possible.  Has nothing to do with the fear of being fired.  For one Woody has said he wont get fired, coaching to lose will get him fired though.  And if he were fired Id assume he wants another job, which given how well hes viewed is not out of the realm of possibility, unless of course he went out and purposely tried to lose games for an imaginary franchise QB that may not even exist a year from now

When did Woody say he won't be fired? He said there was no playoff mandate. 

I 100% think Mac feels his job is safe and Bowles doesn't (which resulted in the blowup between them when Mac cut Harris.) Obviously coaches want to win every game but they're much more willing to play the long game if they think they're in the long term plans. For Bowles, he probably knows if he wins 4 games he's out and if he "overachieves" and wins 8 he'd be hard to fire.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Why can't you folks trust that the people getting this team ready to play on Sundays know what they're doing more so than you do . Every critique of these coaches regarding the QBs that I have read from the signing of Josh Mccown has been proven false . Even the Hack will never star a game for the Jets crowd is now begging for him to be given the ball instead of forcing McCown down our throats . 

Let the process play out and see where it ends .  All this other garbage just creates "I told you so" situations that leads to name calling and bickering .

"Why can't we all just get along" especially since the vast majority of us all want the same thing ?   

Because the New York Jets football team has spent all of their 'trust' capital.  You do well and succeed you add some to the bank you fail and you withdraw that good will and trust.  The Jets are in serious overdraft after Bradway, Idzik, Tanny, Rex, Bowles.  They have not shown they are a competent or even a good football org.

Some of our fan base do not trust this regime to do the right thing, it doesn't make us any less of fans or make us want to win any less.  It's simply logic and reality instead of false hope despite evidence of problems.

Win games, get us a franchise Qb, make the playoffs more than once in a row and the regime will get all the applause trust and glory you can imagine.  win the super bowl and you will be 'the man' for life.  See Joe Namath.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except there is really nothing to suggest that Hack does not know the scheme. In fact a couple reporters tweeted that Hack actually looked the most comfortable in getting into the play and making adjustmnets at the LOS in yesterdays practice.

Well if reporters tweeted it...

9 hours ago, jack48 said:

the more we see of Josh, the more HIS inaccurcy will come into play.  Guy has a stronger arm than Fitz, but is just as inaccurate

I really hope they just brought him in here as a mentor and not an actual competitor.  I would hate to read stories a couple weeks from now about how the team feels he's the choice to win now, and want to wait on the kids.  There is no point in waiting until say week 8 to put in the kids because it's too short of a sample size, and we're just bound to pick a QB anyway then.  

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You act like this is crazy, but look at Fitzpatrick. He was a similar journeyman and then he went and had a career year! It's such a good idea that no one can deny the utter genius of it. They could almost make the playoffs again!

I think McCown already had his Fitz year with the Bears.  Hopefully, he settles in as a back up that can help the kids assimilate into the game better.  

7 hours ago, Beaver said:

Well, the Jets are no longer a circus....so they got that going for them.

If McCown starts and we're losing, the circus will be back, the media will make sure of it. 

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Why?  Because this so called people you tell us to trust created the Ryan sh*tzpatrick show last season starting with Bowles announcing him QB 1 in January with no contract, then the front office giving in to HC, and Vet players to give him 10 million more then any other team was willing to give him!

So **** this trust sh*t with QB's it holds no weight with Bowles, and Macc as of now.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How is Mr. 2-22 giving you the best chance to win games?  Bowles will get fooled by McCowns leadership rah rah nonsense that does not carry over into good football on the field just as the last 3 HC's he played for did.

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

to add: there is nothing logical in this move whatsoever.....

Zero reason why McCown should be on the field for any regular season game for the Jets - unless Hack and Petty have broken limbs that prevent them from playing. Zero. My only hope is that Bowles gets flushed at the end of the season. 

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's going to be truly funny to hear the "Suck for Sam" fans response when the Jets, under McCown, somehow manage to start 4-0, ending early any chance of the #1 pick.

When Hack doesn;t see the field till late in the year, and we wind up picking #11

Yeah. Hysterical.

How is Mr. 2-22 giving you the best chance to win games?  Bowles will get fooled by McCowns leadership rah rah nonsense that does not carry over into good football on the field just as the last 3 HC's he played for did.

Because you think Hackenberg simply cannot play at this level and McCown, as bad as he is, is the only NFL caliber player on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Why?  Because this so called people you tell us to trust created the Ryan sh*tzpatrick show last season starting with Bowles announcing him QB 1 in January with no contract, then the front office giving in to HC, and Vet players to give him 10 million more then any other team was willing to give him!

So **** this trust sh*t with QB's it holds no weight with Bowles, and Macc as of now.

I dislike the Fitzpatrick signing originally and I was hoping the guy would price himself out of a job the 2nd time around . That said, even I knew that Fitzpatrick would be the starting QB if he came back to the roster after the season he had in 2015 . Boles told us the exact same thing at the end of the 2015 season about who the starting QB was going to be as he did to begin that same season when he said Geno Smith was the starting QB .  As to the Todd Bowles issue, I said it before and it bares repeating here again .  I don't believe that any NFL HC sits down with his offensive coordinator and QBs coach, gets their recommendation to start a certain QB and starts a different QB .  In a situation like what the Jets have this season, I could see Mike Mac wanting to start Hackenberg but I doubt he would push the issue if the coordinator, QB coach and HC decided that McCown was the best way to go .

Mac provides the players base on the schemes Bowles  runs on defense and Morton runs on Offense .  Despite what fans think, the jets have a talented roster but because the players are not house hold names, we get the media narrative . If Bowles can't show improvement with the players he requested, he's out of a job and Mac gets to continue building . If Mac forces Bowles to play Hack and the team doesn't show improvement, both of them are out of work . 

12 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS.    40 years of futility is not the players. We hire management with no balls, no vision. There is simply NO reason to start McGown.   NONE.  If Hack isnt ready now... let him get prepared by fire. If Hack fails miserably then give it to McGown and face the fact we are  no where in the QB position.

all for starting hack on week one as long as he doesn't stink it up.  there's just no point in starting mccown.  maybe the talk about mccown in the detroit game is a way to keep the fire burning under hack.  we can only hope.  i hope someone is getting in his ear and letting him know he can win this job.

Well typical Bowles. This sound familiar? McCown has career year, Jets just miss playoff's Macc see's no reason to draft a QB in the first round and signs McCown to a 1 yr 10 mil++ contract after a long hold out. Its all just a case of history repeating as the old song goes.

On August 16, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Lupz27 said:

McCown is way better than Hack and Petty.  

15 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The suck for Sam crew should be thrilled if mccown wins the starting job for the season it would show that managment has little faith in hack and petty. If hack goes in and plays "good enough" we might miss out on the good qbs next season.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm still trying to figure out why Buffalo traded away Watkins.  That move probably cost us Darnold

19 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The suck for Sam crew should be thrilled if mccown wins the starting job for the season it would show that managment has little faith in hack and petty. If hack goes in and plays "good enough" we might miss out on the good qbs next season.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Or it will prove that they think Hack needs a little more work before throwing him in.  

Putting a QB in before he's ready helps no one.  Especially a team this young who needs a QB who knows the ins and outs of the offense to help their growth.  Its not just about the QB. 

On 8/16/2017 at 4:35 PM, win4ever said:

I really hope they just brought him in here as a mentor and not an actual competitor.  I would hate to read stories a couple weeks from now about how the team feels he's the choice to win now, and want to wait on the kids.  There is no point in waiting until say week 8 to put in the kids because it's too short of a sample size, and we're just bound to pick a QB anyway then.  

I think McCown already had his Fitz year with the Bears.  Hopefully, he settles in as a back up that can help the kids assimilate into the game better.  

If McCown starts and we're losing, the circus will be back, the media will make sure of it. 

By Week 8, the vets willbe quitting on the season.  No chance you will see what Hack can do then

Archived