McCown's' last 32 games

AFJF

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Vinny Testeverde says hi.

First, Vinny was a rookie in the mid 80's.  It was a different game then.  And comparing Vinny at the U versus Hack at PSU is laughable.  One had proven he deserved a starting job in the NFL and the other would have been camp fodder and probably cut had it not been for the Jets over drafting him.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Right, but that particular stat is a team stat.  I was highlighting McCowns own performance, not that of the offense, defense and special teams of those organizations.

Kind of a wacky coinkydink that he just so happens to find himself on a godawful team literally every year

26 minutes ago, RSJ said:

The idea that a top 10 pick is the only place to find a franchise QB is not even close to being true. Jets fans should enjoy the season and hope that Hack keeps getting better. But if he doesnt and the Jets fall into picking in the 15-20 range, they can still find a quality QB to add to the team. 

You are giving Macc, Bowles, and the FO way too much credit.  Three years with no viable QB and in three drafts we have Petty and Hack.  Two QBs that can't beat out the worst starting QB in the league.  The only way Macc can identify a star QB in the draft is if it was a no brainer.  He couldn't find one in Houston and hasn't found one in three years here.

5 hours ago, RSJ said:

The idea that a top 10 pick is the only place to find a franchise QB is not even close to being true. Jets fans should enjoy the season and hope that Hack keeps getting better. But if he doesnt and the Jets fall into picking in the 15-20 range, they can still find a quality QB to add to the team. 

I'm supporting the sh*t out of Hack, the team, etc., and can say with total certainty that if Bowles overplays McCown, he plays well enough to win enough games to put us in the 15-20 range, and Hack doesn't look like the answer in the limited time he's given, then we are absolutely f*cked.  It would be an unbelievable disaster. I'd want Bowles's head on a f*cking platter, right next to Macc's for allowing that bullsh*t to happen.

I fully expect McCown to start but due to his injury history and add he is older he just wont stand up to the grind that is the NFL season. Its just depends how this team does during the period he starts. With this defense and the way it looks to shaping up I could see the Jets winning 5 to 7 games. The burning question is why? Why would they do that when you have one of the best projected QB drafts in recent years? It just doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I fully expect McCown to start but due to his injury history and add he is older he just wont stand up to the grind that is the NFL season. Its just depends how this team does during the period he starts. With this defense and the way it looks to shaping up I could see the Jets winning 5 to 7 games. The burning question is why? Why would they do that when you have one of the best projected QB drafts in recent years? It just doesn't make sense.

When it is all said and done, the 2018 draft is going to be Sam Darnold and everyone else.  

I get that we want to win games.  The problem I have is come January, we end up being the worst team in the NFL picking 6th.  

As another poster eloquently put, if McCown wins enough games to push us down the draft board and Hack is a bottom 5 QB (at best) we are totally screwed.  

Then while teams like Tenn, TB, Philly are challenging for playoff berths, and SF is relishing their heir apparent, we can all discuss what veteran scrub will be our offensive savior for 2018.  My guess would be Tannehill or Hoyer.  Can't wait.  We are going to waste Leo's potential HOF career by stringing together 5 and 6 win seasons.

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

When it is all said and done, the 2018 draft is going to be Sam Darnold and everyone else.  

I get that we want to win games.  The problem I have is come January, we end up being the worst team in the NFL picking 6th.  

As another poster eloquently put, if McCown wins enough games to push us down the draft board and Hack is a bottom 5 QB (at best) we are totally screwed.  

Then while teams like Tenn, TB, Philly are challenging for playoff berths, and SF is relishing their heir apparent, we can all discuss what veteran scrub will be our offensive savior for 2018.  My guess would be Tannehill or Hoyer.  Can't wait.  We are going to waste Leo's potential HOF career by stringing together 5 and 6 win seasons.

I'm not sold on Sam Darnold yet . I'm sold on Rosen but I think he's a problem child . 

51 minutes ago, Pcola said:

If Darnold is the number 1.  If McCown plays.  If he wins.  If Hack comes in and sucks.  If we win 5 or 6.  If we pick 6.

All this guessing, just watch the games, there are too many Nostradamus's on the board who want to tank for a kid who's played all of 9 games

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Right, but that particular stat is a team stat.  I was highlighting McCowns own performance, not that of the offense, defense and special teams of those organizations.

Understood.. BUT  only a bottom 5 team would bring in a Fitz and or a McGown and entertain them as starters.  The Jets , from a front office standpoint are way below average.....  players come and go.  We have sucked for years.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

First, Vinny was a rookie in the mid 80's.  It was a different game then.  And comparing Vinny at the U versus Hack at PSU is laughable.  One had proven he deserved a starting job in the NFL and the other would have been camp fodder and probably cut had it not been for the Jets over drafting him.

Vinny was an absolute laughing stock his first 10 years in the league. He was a punch line. And even though he was picked first, his final game in the NCAA was bad, like historically bad.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Understood.. BUT  only a bottom 5 team would bring in a Fitz and or a McGown and entertain them as starters.  The Jets , from a front office standpoint are way below average.....  players come and go.  We have sucked for years.

I don't think Fitz was brought in to start.  He was brought in for Geno insurance in case Geno played like Geno.  As it turned out, Geno got beat up by a teammate and Fitz was thrust in to action.  The team won 10 games with Fitz and the team tried to catch lightning in a bottle.  It failed.

With McCown, I can't decide what I believe.  Did they bring him in to start for the season, or did they bring him in to ease Hack in once he gets injured?  

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't think Fitz was brought in to start.  He was brought in for Geno insurance in case Geno played like Geno.  As it turned out, Geno got beat up by a teammate and Fitz was thrust in to action.  The team won 10 games with Fitz and the team tried to catch lightning in a bottle.  It failed.

With McCown, I can't decide what I believe.  Did they bring him in to start for the season, or did they bring him in to ease Hack in once he gets injured?  

Thats a fair assessment ............

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I'm not sold on Sam Darnold yet . I'm sold on Rosen but I think he's a problem child . 

Well I'd allow that, for any of these kids, the way they behave at 19-20 isn't necessarily the way they behave for the next 10+ years. I wasn't always this upbeat and agreeable myself, you know.

But then again, on top of the speculation Darnold's staying at USC in 2018, a few days back Mora said he thinks Rosen is staying in school as well.

LOS ANGELES – UCLA coach Jim Mora lives down the street from Josh Rosen in Manhattan Beach, compares him to his own son and has remained a staunch defender of the junior quarterback during his various media dustups. The two have a relationship that transcends the typical player and coach, which is what made Mora’s recent prediction on Rosen’s future so intriguing. “My firm belief is that he will not leave,” Mora told Yahoo Sports on Sunday afternoon of Rosen declaring for the NFL draft after this season. “I don’t think he’ll leave.”

Mora sensed the skepticism on the other end of the line. Rosen projects as a potential No. 1 pick in the NFL draft and has spoken openly about enrolling early at UCLA to attempt to accommodate a three-year graduation plan. “I want a disclaimer, I have an option to change my opinion,” Mora said. “But as we sit here right now, I can really honestly say I don’t think he’s going to leave.”

Obviously a lot can change after this season, but if Darnold does decide to stay, and if that would bump Rosen into clear #1 overall territory, I'd be surprised if he stayed so he could come out with Darnold a year later. The likelihood is, if both are healthy and have the types of seasons expected of each, they'll both declare. But who knows, really. Both could base their decisions on the teams that would take them. Rosen - if he's even the #2 QB in college football this year - would go to one team or another based on Darnold declaring, and that could impact him declaring himself.

Could be the #1 pick is us or Cleveland, and the #2 pick is the Chargers (who decide they may as well start over with a new QB when they have the chance, and trade Rivers for even more rebuilding ammo instead of trying to time the drafting of Rivers' successor a year or two later). I'm sure Rosen - either of them, frankly - would love to stay at home in L.A., and that could easily influence coming out vs staying.

Given the obvious risk, I doubt both return to school next year (particularly if they're expected to go 1-2 should both declare). But you have to admit it would be pretty Jetsy to have a planned tank, end up with the #1 pick, and have the 2 best prospects decide to stay in school, with the next 2-3 after that having relatively disappointing 2017 seasons (making any/all still fine to draft, but quite unworthy of the #1 overall pick). 

1 minute ago, August said:

He's another Fitzpatrick. I remember seeing people posting Fitzpatrick stats before 2015 too and how did that turnout?

No he not .  Josh McCown can do things on the football field Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do  and not just the physical part either . 

Just now, Tinstar said:

No he not .  Josh McCown can do things on the football field Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do  and not just the physical part either . 

McCown has a better arm than Fitzpatrick but both are prone to boneheaded mistakes and turnovers at the worst time. Both will have stretches of games where they look good then fall off a cliff afterwards. There's a reason why both are journeymen. 

3 minutes ago, August said:

McCown has a better arm than Fitzpatrick but both are prone to boneheaded mistakes and turnovers at the worst time. Both will have stretches of games where they look good then fall off a cliff afterwards. There's a reason why both are journeymen. 

Agreed and yet they're 2 totally different QBs . 

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

Vinny was an absolute laughing stock his first 10 years in the league. He was a punch line. And even though he was picked first, his final game in the NCAA was bad, like historically bad.

Again, you are referring to a game he played on Jan. 1, 1987.  And the Buccaneers of the 80's and early 90's were a new level of suck. And the players knew it.  

One example:  I was hosting a sports radio talk show in Keflavik, Iceland in the early 90's.  The USO would sponsor an NFL player to tour the Navy base there each year.  Part of the tour included sitting in on my show.  1995, the USO sends Michael Husted, the Bucs kicker.  In previous years the players would bring team hats, key rings etc. for us.  Husted brought gear that said "NFL."  I'm not complaining but he literally said he didn't think we would want Bucs gear.

This had more to do with a culture that was rotting from the inside out and very little to do with VT.   He wasn't a QB That spent his first year of his NFL career getting paid to learn where the hell to put his feet when he throws.

15 hours ago, RSJ said:

2014 NFL Draft New York Jets on the clock at pick 18 and select Derek Carr.... oh damn... I mean Calvin Pryor.... SMH... Thanks Idzik

16 hours ago, RSJ said:

"We have a trade! The Buffalo Bills have just traded up ahead of the New York Jets to grab their franchise QB..."

9 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

"We have a trade! The Buffalo Bills have just traded up ahead of the New York Jets to grab their franchise QB..."

they're not going to have to trade ahead of the jets - the jets are going to win 6 games, the bills will be worse, beginning opening day when the jets beat them in buffalo.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:06 PM, Dunnie said:

Love McCowns leadership ... if Hack cant beat him out in Camp ... Hack should not start. 

McCown should not hurt our draft position terribly ... if history holds true.

My preference is that Hack actually .. you know ... earn his position.

If hack has to beat someone out he may never play though..

3 hours ago, Stark said:

yeah, i know... but no one should have drafted Pryor at 18 either.

Actually not true, there wasn't really a problem with what he was supposed to be, he just never developed.  I loved Carr but not at 18.  Turned out differently though 

On 8/16/2017 at 0:45 PM, AFJF said:

Correct, but are they 1-15 stinks,or 7-9 stinks?  Big difference, and halfway decent QB play will go a long way in determining which.

Think McCown, who won 2 last year, is a threat to our top three status?

19 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Think McCown, who won 2 last year, is a threat to our top three status?

If he plays anywhere close to how he did in two of the last three years, how is he not?

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he plays anywhere close to how he did in two of the last three years, how is he not?

You are what your record says you are not what your stats say you are, McCowns record over this course of history says he is a the biggest losing QB during that span with each season ending with his team having the #1 overall pick the last 3 years.  There is really nothing left to dispute.

Archived