Film Review: Robby Anderson's 2016 Season

joerb31

So I decided to do another film review because I had some free time, I saw a lot of discussion about Robby Anderson so I did a review of his 2016 season. Now let me start with saying that if Anderson had a competent QB he could have easily had another 400-500+ yards and at minimum another 5-7 Tds and I highlighted almost every one of those missed throws in this review. Robby Anderson did some GREAT work in his rookie year and is a guy Jet fans should truly be excited about. Now with that he still has some weaknesses in his game that I saw. Some of those are the following- 1. While I like his stutter/hesitation move during the route I feel like he does it too much at the beginning of his route/ off the line which gives the CB time to react and sometimes kills Anderson's momentum. 2. He needs to improve his routes, sometimes they are a little rounded, he doesn't fight off CB with his body at the top of his routes often enough and sometimes he just plain gives up if the DB is too physical with him either at the beginning or top of his route. 3. He needs to add some weight to be able to contest for the jump balls and to get more potential YAC yardage as sometimes he was either brought down very easily or he was just "out physicaled" in he air. These are all things he can easily improve on! Sorry some of these aren't the best qualitative and you have to actually click on all of the videos but I don't have enough time to put every one of these into gif form. Appreciate you guys reading and feel free to comment below!

He is going to be a good one if he can stay healthy and gets a QB that can out throw him and build some chemistry with him. 

The WCO does not seem to suit him, but they build into it fly patterns anytime they are open and the receiver and QB see the same thing. 

It could open up the offense for the TEs, and RBs to do major damage. We just need the QB to step up, or get him next year. 

6 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He is going to be a good one if he can stay healthy and gets a QB that can out throw him and build some chemistry with him. 

The WCO does not seem to suit him, but they build into it fly patterns anytime they are open and the receiver and QB see the same thing. 

It could open up the offense for the TEs, and RBs to do major damage. We just need the QB to step up, or get him next year. 

There a many variations of the west coast offense and im sure Morton will give Anderson multiple deep shots a game to 1. Open up the underneath routes and secondly can't see him not using his best WR's skill set to his offenses advantage.

I would think Anderson gets a ton of opportunities underneath with so many CBs playing off on him being worried they'll get beat. I would test them early with a couple deep throws, just so they back off or have to provide safety help as the game goes on. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I would think Anderson gets a ton of opportunities underneath with so many CBs playing off on him being worried they'll get beat. I would test them early with a couple deep throws, just so they back off or have to provide safety help as the game goes on. 

Highlighted it in the Steelers game but there were many times we CB's were playing 10-15 yards off. He will get plently of work underneath this year.

Thanks. I think the takeaway is that Fitz just sucked. Seriously, lots of optimism about Anderson. Hopefully he can bulk up enough to fight off the bigger guys, but maintain his speed advantage. Tough line to straddle for a guy with his body type.

Those throws are frustrating to watch. I do want to mention that on the first day or two of training all we heard was how Claiborne was abusing Anderson with the jam at the line but since then he has been torching every CB he faces. He's getting better and has a lot of room to grow. He's going to be special. If only he can keep his off field behavior in check.

51 minutes ago, shevys said:

Thanks. I think the takeaway is that Fitz just sucked. Seriously, lots of optimism about Anderson. Hopefully he can bulk up enough to fight off the bigger guys, but maintain his speed advantage. Tough line to straddle for a guy with his body type.

A lot of those throws were Petty... neither of them helped Robby

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Brandon Shell would be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I could do those final three games when he played. Haven't evaluated O-lineman like this yet because I'm still learning how to do it efficiently. Just ordered a few scouting books so these should improve over time as well.

Archived