Derek Carr was a second round pick who went 3-13 with a 76 rating his first year and now he has a 125 million dollar contract.

Jetsbb

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Anyone who says Mac's future depends on Hack or that Mac has "staked his career" onthe mid 2nd Rd pick of Hack is an idiot. 2nd round QB pick fail 4 out of 5 times and specifically within the middle of round 2 virtually nil. That one errant pick will not and should not determine Mac's future. The rest of his picks.. sure but for the bozos who repeatedly claim that Mac risked his career on a #51 pick of a bad QB, just get real. What nonsense.

I think the real issue with the Hack pick is that if the Jets are ever going to contend, they'll need to draft a QB and an edge rusher, and the guy who makes our picks thought Christian Hackenberg and Lorenzo Maudlin would be those things. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/20/2017 at 5:09 AM, Jetsbb said:

The Jets beat reporters, commentators, fans and coaches are all living in crazy town right now. The way you develop a QB is to play him and let him go through his lumps. Starting Mccown on a team that is going nowhere when you have a talented QB who needs reps and time on the field to develop is beyond asinine. All Hack has to show is he knows how to get them lined up and call out plays. You start the ****ing guy Maccagnan spent a high pick on and you try and develop him. Throwing out a 38 year old is a waste of time and serves only to pad a couple extra wins on Bowles resume. There is no rationale to start Mccown no matter how much shills like Bob Wischusen tries to convince a skeptical fan base.

LOL. The only delusional one here is you my stubborn friend. Hack-off was a suspect pick that had EVERYONE scratching their heads when he was drafted. No one wants McClown starting. Start Petty and see what happens. The guy has NFL starts under his belt and can play in this league. At least to the point where he is not pathetic. Why not give him a shot? Based on Hack-offs showing so far his skill set is nil. Nada. Zip. Sure let Hack-off play but give Petty first team reps and the majority of them until he proves unworthy of them. Hack-off needs so much work at this point that he is almost unplayable. He is light years behind Petty and Petty is not that good BUT he looked liked an NFL starter compared to Hack-off. That sez a boatload right there.

19 hours ago, Dcat said:

You got my curiosity going.  I looked up 2nd round QBs from 1984 - 2015.  If I counted right, there were 32 of them from 1984 - 2015.  Hack was the only one in 2016 and Kizer this year.  Out of the 32, only seven had sustainable starting status with any team, meaning these are the ones that could be considered successful QBs or at least within sniffing distance of that:  

Boomer Esiason, Brett Favre, Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton and Derek Carr.  

7 out of 32.. 2nd round QBs have roughly a 20% chance for sustained success.  

Here are the other 24 that sucked or were at best backups:

Jack Trudeau, Mike Elkins, Billie Joe Tolliver, Browning Nagle (Jets), Matt Blumdin, Tony Sacca, Todd Collins, Tony Banks, Charlie Batch, Shaun King, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo, Kellen Clemens (Jets), Travaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Pat White, Jimmy Claussen, Colin Kaepernick (even though he went to a superbowl), Brock Osweiller, Geno Smith (Jets),

And then there is Jimmy Garappolo, for whom I'll abstain decision because he has to sit behind Brady.  So at best it's 8/32 or 25% chance for success.  

I'm pretty sure we'll be adding Hack to the list of 24.  That makes 4 of them jets 2nd round picks.  0 for 4 for us.

Edit:

Hack was selected at pick 51.  If you narrow it down even more...  just looking at the 2d round QBs who were drafted anywhere from 8 picks below Hack to 8 picks above, from pick #43 - #59 and there isn't even one solid QB: (pick #) (name)

(43) Drew Stanton, (45) Todd Collins, (46) Tony Sacca, (47) Jack Trudeau, (48) Jimmy Claussen, (49) Kellen Clemens, (50) Shaun King, (51) Billy Joe Tolliver, (51) Christian Hackenburg, (52) DeShone Kizer, (53) Quincy Carter, (56) Brian Brohm, (57) Chad Henne, (57) Brock Osweiller, (59) Marques Tuiasosopo

Football Outsiders did this in a lot more detail a while back and they just updated it.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

Historically speaking drafting QBs in rounds 2-5 is a dumb move. Mid-late 2nd (where Hack was drafted) is really, really stupid in terms of odds. Dalton, Kaep, Carr, Brees...all drafted very close to the first.

Comparatively to what has worked, you draft high (top 40 or so) or try to luck into a gem after the 5th. What this article doesn't mention is that burning 2nd rounders on low yield rewards is compounded by the fact that the 2nd round is where you can land the highest ratio of talent to cost at other positions. Thus, it is quite fitting that the Jets burned not one, not two, but three 2nd rounders on quarterbacks over an 11-year span.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the real issue with the Hack pick is that if the Jets are ever going to contend, they'll need to draft a QB and an edge rusher, and the guy who makes our picks thought Christian Hackenberg and Lorenzo Maudlin would be those things. 

The guy who makes the picks thinks that the picks needed to land those things should be used on linebackers and safeties.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The guy who makes the picks thinks that the picks needed to land those things should be used on linebackers and safeties.

I would really like to see the videos from the war room where they're discussing taking Darron Lee, or Adams, or Hackenberg, or Maye. Do you think they're even conscious of the optics? 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would really like to see the videos from the war room where they're discussing taking Darron Lee, or Adams, or Hackenberg, or Maye. Do you think they're even conscious of the optics? 

It's really weird right? A guy who was tutored by the guy that took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush has no concept of skill positions. The Lee pick was weird but kicking off a supposed rebuilding campaign with two safeties is something else. Like we may wind up firing a guy that drafted decent players with all his first rounders simply because of value.

Archived