Game Observations (DET)

KRL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo it's only Week 2 preseason and y'all already using excuses for bad play ..  it ain't gonna get no easier for hackenberg 

And the naysayers are out in droves this morning..2 weeks into PS games.  Last week the complaints were throwing to open WRs..

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And the naysayers are out in droves this morning..2 weeks into PS.  

Lol the naysayers has been out since midway through his Sophmore year at Penn St. its why no one thought he warranted a 2nd round pick..

2 weeks into preseason where no one is scheming  for teams and he is already rattled lol wait till the real bullets fly . You can't hide him forever 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol the naysayers has been out since midway through his Sophmore year at Penn St. its why no one thought he warranted a 2nd round pick..

2 weeks into preseason where no one is scheming  for teams and he is already rattled lol wait till the real bullets fly . You can't hide him forever 

IMG_0527.PNG

I have no idea if Hackenberg is the answer, but one thing I do know is ALL the draftable QB's
the fanbase is drooling over are going to have the same growing pains.  If you think Darnold,
Rosen, Allen or Jackson are going to come into the league and look like Aaron Rodgers immediately you're
smoking something

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Link? 

Can't it also be said 2 weeks and no O scheming?  Of course he is going to have ups and downs...He's 22 yrs old...Will he become a starting caliber QB?  Who the hell knows. But can he be given a legitimate time/chance...

1 minute ago, KRL said:

I have no idea if Hackenberg is the answer, but one thing I do know is ALL the draftable QB's
the fanbase is drooling over are going to have the same growing pains.  If you think Darnold,
Rosen, Allen or Jackson are going to come into the league and look like Aaron Rodgers immediately you're
smoking something

Bingo!

Hack said after the game that numbers and stats aren't that important and that the game was a good learning experience. Dude, the season isn't about being a learning experience for you the games count and most Jets fans want to win as many as we can. This is your opportunity so make something out of it. If you are lights out you win the starting job. If not you're not playing. 

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Link? 

Can't it also be said 2 weeks and no O scheming?  Of course he is going to have ups and downs...He's 22 yrs old...Will he become a starting caliber QB?  Who the hell knows. But can he be given a legitimate time/chance...

How long you got ? Cause he isn't currently beating out a McCown for the starting job ..

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

smoking something

No one is asking him to be Aaron Rodger . I just want a Young QB to show flashes of greatness the good ones tend to do that from day 1.  Dak and Wentz weren't perfect last year but they showed more good than bad and enough for you to be excited about there future going forward .. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Hack said after the game that numbers and stats aren't that important and that the game was a good learning experience. Dude, the season isn't about being a learning experience for you the games count and most Jets fans want to win as many as we can. This is your opportunity so make something out of it. If you are lights out you win the starting job. If not you're not playing. 

What ?????   PS games are when young players get experience and learn.  Who cares if they win or lose a meaningless PS game if it provides the players a chance to mature and break down real game film. This is the absolute correct mentality I want from our young QB's - only Jet fans can take this statement and make a negative from it.  

Just now, Scoop24 said:

How long you got ? Cause he isn't currently beating out a McCown for the starting job ..

more than 16 months...and therein lies the problem w/this fanbase..they expect every player to be a finished product and want immediate results. I get it..40+ yrs and all..But that isn't Hack's, Petty's, Bowles, Mccag etc...fault. but whatever. I understand

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

more than 16 months...and therein lies the problem w/this fanbase..they expect every player to be a finished product and want immediate results. I get it..40+ yrs and all..But that isn't Hack's, Petty's, Bowles, Mccag etc...fault. but whatever. I understand

Name me last Good QB in modern day NFL it took 16+ months to find out if he was good ? 

Name me last Good QB in modern day NFL it took 16+ months to find out if he was good ? 

Rogers....and Pennington (yes, pre-arm surgeries) for two right off the top of my head..Hell Alex Smith I would classify as good

Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill,  On the flipside there are just as few QB's who come into the NFL as immediate stars. 

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill,  On the flipside there are just as few QB's who come into the NFL as immediate stars. 

Derek Carr and Andy Dalton didn't wait they  where Day 1 starters. and I believe Tannenhill started his rookie year too .. Kirk Cousin was playing politics of draft position with RG3.. 

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Derek Carr and Andy Dalton didn't not wait and I believe Tannenhill started his rookie year too .. Kirk Cousin was playing politics of draft position with RG3.. 

You said to find out if they were good. Starting and considering them good are two entirely different things.

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I'm talking about in this generation of football where it's now a full fledge Passing league . 

ok..so development is no longer allowed? got it..I'd hate to be a 22 yr old kid nowaday with this mindset out there..they have no chance..especially in NY. None

and fans w/your mindset will continue to be disappointed, pissed off...

24 minutes ago, KRL said:

smoking something

Aaron Rodgers didn't look like himself immediately he didn't start till his 4th year.. I agree very few look great at first although Marino was dam good as soon as they let him start in his first year..

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

ok..so development is no longer allowed? got it..I'd hate to be a 22 yr old kid nowaday with this mindset out there..they have no chance..especially in NY. None

u need 3 more years to tell u if Hack is gonna be good ?  Sanchez and Geno got that time  nothing really changed and tbh I think Sanche and Geno where way better prospects than hack .  I can't think of any other franchise QBs getting that kinda development time without showing any real flashes .. 

Funny thing is if we go 1-15 I bet you wouldn't have a problem dropping the hack experiment to draft one of the real Blue chip QB prospects coming in.. 

Just now, Scoop24 said:

u need 3 more years to tell u if Hack is gonna be good ?  Sanchez and Geno got that time  nothing really changed and tbh I think Sanche and Geno where way better prospects than hack .  I can't think of any other franchise QBs getting that kinda development time without showing any real flashes .. 

Funny thing is if we go 1-15 I bet you wouldn't have a problem dropping the hack experiment to draft one of the real Blue chip QB prospects coming in.. 

Who said 3 more yrs?

They are "blue chip" prospects today..Let's see where they are next April. And there is a very good chance come next Sept they won't be ready to see the field and I wouldn't want them to. 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Who said 3 more yrs?

They are "blue chip" prospects today..Let's see where they are next April. And there is a very good chance come next Sept they won't be ready to see the field and I wouldn't want them to. 

Winston, Mariotta, Wentz all saw the field early and have been pretty good as Did Carr and Bridgewater before the injury ..  the guys who sat on bench so called developing has been Goff and Lynch and they have looked like crap up to this point. and I was one of the guys who wanted to draft lynch but you can easily see he isn't the answer for Denver .

it just my opinion when I say the good ones tend to show it more early than later . 

12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Winston, Mariotta, Wentz all saw the field early and have been pretty good as Did Carr and Bridgewater before the injury ..  the guys who sat on bench so called developing has been Goff and Lynch and they have looked like crap up to this point. and I was one of the guys who wanted to draft lynch but you can easily see he isn't the answer for Denver .

it just my opinion when I say the good ones tend to show it more early than later . 

How did they do in their 1st preseason start on third and long with a horrid Oline, because that's basically all the drop backs I saw him get. 

I saw none of the play calling from last week, and no 1st down passing plays at all. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

How did they do in their 1st preseason start on third and long with a horrid Oline, because that's basically all the drop backs I saw him get. 

I saw none of the play calling from last week, and no 1st down passing plays at all. 

Oline gave him enough time to miss that deep ball to a wide open Robby Anderson .. 

im not saying Oline is great cause we know it isn't . But it also apart of the QB job to make sure defenders don't go unblocked at the line gotta get better in calling out his protections. But that's experience thing it's  why u don't see it happening to McCown or Petty . 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Oline gave him enough time to miss that deep ball to a wide open Robby Anderson .. 

im not saying Oline is great cause we know it isn't . But it also apart of the QB job to make sure defenders don't go unblocked at the line gotta get better in calling out his protections. But that's experience thing it's  why u don't see it happening to McCown or Petty . 

You're absolutely right which is why i specified that it was his first start ever and he didn't seem to get any help from the playcalling which struck me as quite odd considering he got nothing but help last week. I thought maybe they were trying to toughen him up like they do in the army. You know break his will and all that. I can't explain it. 

Who knows if he'll ever be any good but use this one half of a preseason game to determine that He, Mac and cheese and their children need never show their faces in public again is a little much. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

What ?????   PS games are when young players get experience and learn.  Who cares if they win or lose a meaningless PS game if it provides the players a chance to mature and break down real game film. This is the absolute correct mentality I want from our young QB's - only Jet fans can take this statement and make a negative from it.  

These games don't count but it's a platform for many players and you expect good performances. The bottom line for any Qb is to take advantage of any opportunity because you don't get very many. Ask many players over the years with the Jets who never got a sniff. What we want to see from him right now is an ability to lead the team and move the ball with not too many turnovers. I expect Hack to if he plays poorly not tell us it was a good learning experience.

There isn't one way for a QB to get on the field no matter what some posters want to
say:

- Aaron Rodgers sat for 2+ years and then was a beast when he got on the field
- Robert Griffin went right into the lineup and had success then went into the toilet
- Colin Kaepernick sat for a year then had success when he hit the field.  Then his
career went into the toilet
- David Carr went right onto the field was abused early on and never developed into
anything
- Tom Brady sat for a year was pushed onto the field by an injury and has become one
of the greatest of all time

Stop acting like there's one way for a QB to be successful, there isn't

Just now, Rangers9 said:

These games don't count but it's a platform for many players and you expect good performances. The bottom line for any Qb is to take advantage of any opportunity because you don't get very many. Ask many players over the years with Jets who never got a sniff. What we want to see from him right now is an ability to lead the team and move the ball with not too many turnovers. I expect Hack to if he plays poorly not tell us it was good and a learning experience.

Do you believe Hack was giving a real opportunity to prove anything last night . He was given starters reps to get him valuable playing time and get gamefilm so he could learn and grow.

Its like you boss gives you an assignment to complete that takes 5 people's collaboration but the other 4 people are clueless.  When they fire your ass do you say well I had an opportunity and blew it.

32 minutes ago, KRL said:

There isn't one way for a QB to get on the field no matter what some posters want to
say:

- Robert Griffin went right into the lineup and had success then went into the toilet
- Colin Kaepernick sat for a year then had success when he hit the field.  Then his
- David Carr went right onto the field was abused early on and never developed into
anything
- Tom Brady sat for a year was pushed onto the field by an injury and has become one

You're making excellent points. But there can also be a timeframe. I don't remember how Brady and Rodgers played in those early exhibition games. But I bet they looked better than this and were able to lead an offense. 

59 minutes ago, KRL said:

say:

anything

Great points, KRL! 

I'd add. GB/Rogers completely changed his throwing motion during those two yrs. Development. What a concept.  

Not an excuse, just fact. In Hacks case (and all the O players) he's now learning a new O system. The above others all were playing in the same system 

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The focus is on the abysmal QB play, but I'm much more concerned by the OL play.  That was about as bad as I've seen.  Hackenberg was awful, no disputing that, but Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have done much with that line play.  That's not an excuse, it's just a reality.  

Agree completely. Just abysmal O-Line last night. And the game before as well. The Jets are going to have zero offense with a mediocre RB crew and an O-line that has no push at all. and I agree that even an elite QB would have struggled with no run game, receivers getting no separation (or no time to develop it) while the defense is swarming through the gaps and the line is folding up. Hackenburg didn't have a prayer. Nor was he able to produce any counterthrust. Played like a rank rookie on an offense that was disgraceful.

Archived