Game Observations (DET)

KRL

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last night was a great game to calibrate expectations... What - you thought we had a chance to surprise with competent football? BAM -- preseason week 2.... "oh that's right, we suck. Really really suck"

Enter QB next April. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

So the possible emergence of Dexter McDougle is the highlight of the preseason through game 2? I will take it.

So the 1st time this kid is healthy and gets to show his talent, he actually looks like he's worth the slot he was picked  ?   It'd a darn shame GMs can't for see payers getting injured instead of just picking them based on their potential talent .  

6 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agree completely. Just abysmal O-Line last night. And the game before as well. The Jets are going to have zero offense with a mediocre RB crew and an O-line that has no push at all. and I agree that even an elite QB would have struggled with no run game, receivers getting no separation (or no time to develop it) while the defense is swarming through the gaps and the line is folding up. Hackenburg didn't have a prayer. Nor was he able to produce any counterthrust. Played like a rank rookie on an offense that was disgraceful.

OL Pass protected well game 1? 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

last night was a great game to calibrate expectations... What - you thought we had a chance to surprise with competent football? BAM -- preseason week 2.... "oh that's right, we suck. Really really suck"

Enter QB next April. 

I think i'm going to enjoy the ebb and flow  of the 2017 season as it unfolds instead of coming to a conclusion before the preseason is even over .  Last night showed Jet fans why josh McCown  was brought here and why he gets 1st team reps over our 2 kids .  There should be no further talk about starting anyone over McCown  for the immediate future .

All I can take away from last night is that Petty or Hack or another QB needs to be ready to come in early in the season because McCown is not going to last very long behind this OLine.  OLine looked really rough in both pass and run protection last night.  At least the pass protection looked pretty good last week but I guess Detroits D is quite a few leagues better than the Titans.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Mahomes has yet to go up with ones and the number 1 defensive units.  

He was what 4 of 7 in game one against scrubs?  With better offensive talent all around him?  

Nothing funny about you trying to derail a thread about the Jet game last night by pimping Mahomes for no apparent reason.  They play for different teams, he's on a 11 win team and Hack is on a couple of win team.  

Enough with your Mahomes nonsense, no one cares

Anyone want to guess what J. Nut's posts would look like today if Hackenberg put up 10/14, 88 yards, 2 TDs last night? 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The OL failed and did Hack no favors.  In response Hack didn't do himself any favors.  

When you're basically a rookie QB playing under that kind of fire it's hard to take anything away from his performance.  

The best pass rush Brady sees turns him into a completely different QB and he's never been under the constant pressure Hack saw last night

This. End of discussion.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone want to guess what J. Nut's posts would look like today if Hackenberg put up 10/14, 88 yards, 2 TDs last night? 

Anyone guess what posts would look like when Paxton Lynch has sh*t the bed consistently- oh yeah that's right no one talks about Lynch anymore they've moved on to this years models - Watson, Mahomes , Trubisky and Kizer.  Face it Jet fans always covet the other teams players and its easy to pick the flavor of the day and beat their chest that they were right and the Jets got it all wrong. When Mahomes & his cohorts fail the Jets fans will move on to the next QB. 

Again, this goes back to the roster purge discussion from months ago.m If the organization felt that Hackenberg had even the tiniest chance of being a starting QB in the league, we would have not seen the team cut all the OL and WR, and sit on over $20M in cap space.  

So while Half this site is holding out hope for Hack despite the last fours of bad data, understand that ownership, GM, and HC/ coaching staff don't believe there is a realistic chance for his development.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

OL Pass protected well game 1? 

Better, I'll give you that, but there were numerous breakdowns. I won't even mention the scrubs that "defended" Petty. They were an abomination. I'll throw game-plan in there as well. First game was at least vanilla WCO. This game was KFS (Kentucky Fried Schottenheimer). Predictable, bland, and poorly executed.

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Again, this goes back to the roster purge discussion from months ago.m If the organization felt that Hackenberg had even the tiniest chance of being a starting QB in the league, we would have not seen the team cut all the OL and WR, and sit on over $20M in cap space.  

So while Half this site is holding out hope for Hack despite the last fours of bad data, understand that ownership, GM, and HC/ coaching staff don't believe there is a realistic chance for his development.

IMO the roster purge had more to do with getting rid of locker room cancers and hopefully giving control back to the HC. Last year the inmates ran the asylum.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or how many posts you put up claiming it was rigged for Hack?

Ive already said he's going and inconsistent is part of the equation.  Sorry that doesn't fit the homer character you're trying to paint

39 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Anyone guess what posts would look like when Paxton Lynch has sh*t the bed consistently- oh yeah that's right no one talks about Lynch anymore they've moved on to this years models - Watson, Mahomes , Trubisky and Kizer.  Face it Jet fans always covet the other teams players and its easy to pick the flavor of the day and beat their chest that they were right and the Jets got it all wrong. When Mahomes & his cohorts fail the Jets fans will move on to the next QB. 

I'd trade Darron Lee for Paxton Lynch right now and twice on Sunday

40 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you want my honest opinion the Jets should have drafted Lynch last year and then Watson or Mahomes this year. None of this matters until that position is solved.

32 minutes ago, Pcola said:

This hypothesis would be more acceptable if certain facts were unknown or not true . The Jets wanted to retain Brandon Marshall but he asked to be released according to him .Eric Decker was released once he was cleared medically to return to full practice .  Not a single OLman who was released or cut participated  much to the team last year on the field . Mangold was placed on injured reserved ending his season following the prior season where he missed games due to injuries . It was quite clear to anyone who cared that his playing days were coming to an end .  Giacomini spent the vast majority of the year recovering from a bad back and when he did return, he was worthless  . Clady was playing through injuries  until he was forced onto injured reserve and eventually retired .

This narrative that the Jets had better options for the receiver and offensive line positions  sounds great , but all it does is support what ever belief someone wishes to accept . The truth is much less sensational, but factual .

What this team did needed to be done and building it back up wasn't going to happen over night . The Jets may not have Dax Prescott, but neither does he have to play QB behind an OL in transition. 

56 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This hypothesis would be more acceptable if certain facts were unknown or not true . The Jets wanted to retain Brandon Marshall but he asked to be released according to him .Eric Decker was released once he was cleared medically to return to full practice .  Not a single OLman who was released or cut participated  much to the team last year on the field . Mangold was placed on injured reserved ending his season following the prior season where he missed games due to injuries . It was quite clear to anyone who cared that his playing days were coming to an end .  Giacomini spent the vast majority of the year recovering from a bad back and when he did return, he was worthless  . Clady was playing through injuries  until he was forced onto injured reserve and eventually retired .

This narrative that the Jets had better options for the receiver and offensive line positions  sounds great , but all it does is support what ever belief someone wishes to accept . The truth is much less sensational, but factual .

What this team did needed to be done and building it back up wasn't going to happen over night . The Jets may not have Dax Prescott, but neither does he have to play QB behind an OL in transition. 

You make great points but if they were sold on Hack why not use our cap space to at least solidify the LT or Center position?  

And that begs the question, when we do get a legitimate QB, is this how they are going to deal with him?  By giving him his first start and sending him out there with the 2nd string OL against one of the top teams in the league?  

I've seen enough of both Macc and Bowles to know that they have done very little correct during their tenure.  There was an outcry against Fitz, BMarsh, and Decker but what's going to happen when this team checks out in October?

4 hours ago, KRL said:

There isn't one way for a QB to get on the field no matter what some posters want to
say:

- Aaron Rodgers sat for 2+ years and then was a beast when he got on the field
- Robert Griffin went right into the lineup and had success then went into the toilet
- Colin Kaepernick sat for a year then had success when he hit the field.  Then his
career went into the toilet
- David Carr went right onto the field was abused early on and never developed into
anything
- Tom Brady sat for a year was pushed onto the field by an injury and has become one
of the greatest of all time

Stop acting like there's one way for a QB to be successful, there isn't

All I'm saying is in Today's NFL (as in within the last 5 years) . The Good QB's tend to show the ability right away as opposed to sitting on the bench multiple years .. 

9 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think that's a fair assessment , everyone needs to realize this is a rebuilding team with players to judge at every position especially on offense. Would the offense have looked more proficient with McCown under center - possibly but that's what game experience buys you. Hack needs these reps as a valuable learning tool , he can go back now and look at film and finds things he can correct . 

And I agree I don't think last night  all falls on Hack's shoulders , even though he didn't perform well in limited real opportunities. 

Bottom line if the Oline blocks like it did last night - none of the Qb's will survive the season. 

it was rough to watch. they didn't play mccown so there's no telling if the same thing would've happened but the oline played matador pass protection.  the good thing it's preseason and they have 3 weeks to get things sorted out.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

You make great points but if they were sold on Hack why not use our cap space to at least solidify the LT or Center position?  

And that begs the question, when we do get a legitimate QB, is this how they are going to deal with him?  By giving him his first start and sending him out there with the 2nd string OL against one of the top teams in the league?  

I've seen enough of both Macc and Bowles to know that they have done very little correct during their tenure.  There was an outcry against Fitz, BMarsh, and Decker but what's going to happen when this team checks out in October?

I never said anyone was sold on Hack .  I wanted to draft Hack and I wasn't /isn't sold on him . I wanted to sped our 1st round pick on Trubisky who I thought was the only QB worth spending a 1st round pick on . I also wanted to sign McCown above any other old Vet because of what I thought he would bring to the roster . I'm not sold on any QB yet in the 2018 draft . They're  some I don't want or trust, but that's just me . 

I like Hack's tools and want him to succeed , but  realize he can still fail. That's why I wanted Trubisky and why i'm still looking out for a QB .

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it was rough to watch. they didn't play mccown so there's no telling if the same thing would've happened but the oline played matador pass protection.  the good thing it's preseason and they have 3 weeks to get things sorted out.

That's what happens when you play the 2nd team O-line vs the other teams 1st team D.

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Better, I'll give you that, but there were numerous breakdowns. I won't even mention the scrubs that "defended" Petty. They were an abomination. I'll throw game-plan in there as well. First game was at least vanilla WCO. This game was KFS (Kentucky Fried Schottenheimer). Predictable, bland, and poorly executed.

Yeah I don't include 4th quarter 3rd/4th string guys. Game 1 first half I thought the pass blocking was good. 

I still think, for the most part, the plan was to work on the running game with Powell returning. Just call running plays. But who knows.  

We'll see how they play Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That's what happens when you play the 2nd team O-line vs the other teams 1st team D.

well, yes but at the same time each of those linemen have had quite a bit of real game experience. my hope is that the problem is that the oline has to gel not they are a bunch of slugs.

It doesn't matter what side of the Hackenberg argument you come down on, a pagan or a believer; to my eyes he is not appear ready to start. They have only installed a part of the Morton's complicated version of the WCO so far...without a decent oline/running game and someone other than Robbie Anderson to throw to, I think it's madness to put him out there in game one of the regular season.

No one wants to wait another sucky wasted year to find out if this kid has it but whatever hope there is for him to turn it around, I can see him getting permanently David Carr'ed if he plays under the current circumstances. As the world and it's mother knows at Penn state he regressed year two under a new coach/new system; he can't regress much further than he currently is... however on the 2017 New York Jets offense, he is set up for failure if he starts.

Everyone is talking about how much better Petty looked against the 2nd and 3rd string.  i think Hack needs a few of those to string together this preseason.  starting him against a real defense last night was not doing him any favors.

He is not ready to be the starter, but he should get a chance to show what he can do against the B team.  Petty just looked decent doing that.  Last year in Philly Hack looked terrible.  I think Hack deserves a chance to get that opportunity.

The Jets are paying real money to Carpenter, Johnson, Winters, Beachum and Ijalana to be a line that works.  This is not a tank line, at least in terms of investment.   The tank is in terms of talent.

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It's funny Pat Mahomes had someone in his face on almost every single pass play last night, yet he lead 2 75 yard TD scoring drives.

No doubt about it, Hack looked like sh!t.  But Mahomes was in against backups.  You are making a false analogy here.  Lets see Mahomes against a 1st team defense. 

9 hours ago, munchmemory said:

My game observation?  We are going to get fukkin' smacked into oblivion when we play any decent team.  And against a really elite team?  Destruction where we'll be lucky to score a point.

that about sums it up.  This is potentially the worst Jets offense in the history of the franchise.  And there is some fine competition for that dubious honor.  Really... I don't even think this team sniffs 3 victories,  and I am accounting for 1-2 fluke victories within that.  This is the look of a 2-14 team, plus or minus 2.

Game observation:

Tank is going very well. 

I actually didn't even watch the second half after working my day around the game so I could see Hackenberg play live.  He looked horrible.  I haven't done the reviews yet (not tonight) but I'm not even sure there is a single play for a positive Hack throw.  It's absolutely disastrous.  And the Lions pass D was dead last in 2015 so it's not like we faced the '00 Ravens.  They added talent to it, but that was just atrocious.  I watched bits and pieces later.

KRL noted it, and what they did is textbook defense for a young QB with no weapons.  They took away the running game, and took away the short routes.  They dared the Jets to beat them deep, banking on the lack of experience at WR preventing people to be open down the field, and the horrible O-line from blocking for too long.

It looked like Hack had trouble with the pocket mainly because the Jets weren't prepared with the deep routes.  They just don't have the weapons besides Anderson.  It might help to have Hansen move up because he was decent with the 9 route in college, and they really need to stretch the field from both sides to actually have the defense back off. 

Petty looked better and I would like to see him against the first team defense as well.  Everyone mentions how the WCO offense relies on short passes to open up deep passes, well the deep passes open up because the defense moves up.  The defense moved up, and we choked.  I haven't done the review on him either, so I'm not sure.  One thing I can tell you, our receivers aren't getting much separation at all.  

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

No doubt about it, Hack looked like sh!t.  But Mahomes was in against backups.  You are making a false analogy here.  Lets see Mahomes against a 1st team defense. 

Hack isn't even doing what Mahomes is doing vs 2nd and 3rd string .  Let's be real he was hidden behind safe throws week 1 and still has yet to lead a drive to a TD.. 

i will go as far as to say he isn't even where Petty was in his 2nd year.  Idk what the hell Jordan Palmer has been teaching hack he looks underdeveloped .

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Hack isn't even doing what Mahomes is doing vs 2nd and 3rd string .  Let's be real he was hidden behind safe throws week 1 and still has yet to lead a drive to a TD.. 

i will go as far as to say he isn't even where Petty was in his 2nd year.  Idk what the hell Jordan Palmer has been teaching hack he looks underdeveloped .

Actually Hackenberg looks like an 0-16 QB,isn't that the plan. 

Not making excuses for Hacks performance but the O-Line was a sieve and once again not much opened up in the run game. The O-Line's the big problem. Watched the game a second time and there is no push from the line, no holes or even a seam to run through. Defense just having their way with the line. Even the best QB'S in the league Rodgers, Brady, etc with no time and pocket collapsing are not successful. Prescott looked great last year. Has 4-6 seconds to throw most of the time.Wonder if Hack had more than 2 seconds if he would be more successful. Hack is going to have bad games. That's a given only seeing limited playing time thus far. Not giving up on him yet. Petty although not going against 1st string D looked good. Saw him going through his progressions. I like his style. Not giving up on him either. It's going to be a long painful season....again. The line needs to get better or infused with some players who can consistently block and open up the ground game.

Archived