Pointdexter

The two safeties vs Watson/Mahomes and Cook

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you realize there's a lot of $ to spend next year , between that and the draft they can overhaul the O in virtually one season - sort of like the Giants did to their D 

We will have no 1st rounder to spend on an olineman.,

As i said in my previous post success at building oline via fa is often a big fat fail.  Teams with good loineman lock them up and the guys that hit fa are the guys like we signed this year.  (beachum) over priiedand with huge ????

On 8/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, Beerfish said:

We will have no 1st rounder to spend on an olineman.,

As i said in my previous post success at building oline via fa is often a big fat fail.  Teams with good loineman lock them up and the guys that hit fa are the guys like we signed this year.  (beachum) over priiedand with huge ????

This is a huge concern of mine. I wonder if barring a really surprising development with the OL you almost have to sit whatever QB you draft for a year while trying to piece a line together.

Granted the OL class last draft was really poor but at least giving it some attention would've been good. At least they can devote some attention to it in next year's class, especially with the extra 2, but I'm not sure where the LT is coming from and there's really no developmental guys in house to hope you get lucky with either.

I wanted Watson instead of Adams. I can see why they took Adams instead but I cannot excuse them taking Mayes instead of Cook/Mixon. I also cannot excuse trading down in third round when the much needed OL was there that the Vikings took. IF you are going to rebuild and not take a QB you had the tools there to help a young QB(be it Petty or Hack-off) develop. Why the hell do you pass on an RB who could take some of the heat off of that developing QB and then pass on an OL who could help as well? It just makes no sense to make the moves Macc made. This is why those who defend him HAVE NO LEG TO STAND ON. They tout that this a rebuild but then defend a GM who completely botched this draft in the middle rounds to load up on later round picks. Has to be the dumbest friggin move I have ever seen a GM make and I have been watching this game since the middle 60's. Macc is good at structuring contracts but after that he is a total fu#k up at everything else. They could have still gotten that high draft pick but developed in other area's and gotten those guys they should have drafted invaluable experience at the pro level. Now you are going to have that high draft pick and whomever they draft will come in and be basically thrown to the wolves because of Macc's shortsightedness and complete lack of any semblance of a plan. What a complete and total cock-up this past off-season was. Now we are left with this mess of a roster and next season instead of having a solid foundation to build on Macc will probably draft an offensive skill player then use up all that cap space on a 200 mil QB and a bunch of guys he will overpay to come to this mess he made of this franchise. Friggin typical man just typical.

Deshone Kizer in round 2 was the biggest obvious no-brainer pick ever.  And we should have never, ever picked Jamal Adams at 6 overall we would have been way better off with Cam Robinson who manhandled JJ Watt and is destroying it as a starting franchise Left Tackle

I wonder how many weeks it's going to take people hearing: "It wasn't about Watson/Mahomes vs Adams, it was Watson/Mahomes vs any QB in the next 4-5 drafts." before people actually get it through their heads.  If the season ends the way it's looking like it will end, we will have our choice of 3-4 QBs, possibly more, who are infinitely better prospects than  one of those guys.  There are a large number of reasons to complain about this regime.  Believe me, I know that.  However, electing to pass on a weak QB prospect from a weak QB class, in favor of a strong QB prospect in a strong QB class is one of the few things they've gotten right so far. I could be wrong about Watson and Mahomes; I know that.  They might actually be the answer for their respective teams.  Personally, I just didn't see the gamble being worth it when, for the sake of sports politics, they still "needed" to see what Hack had, and they figured to be in a good position to draft a top QB next year.  If you were going to be in that position, barring a miracle, take that gamble on QB prospects who were blue chips, not guys who were considered a 2nd round pick and 4th-5th round pick in any other class but we're raised because the class they entered was weak.

Passing on Cook still pisses me off, but Elijah McGuire looked decent in his limited moment of extended action this pre-season and running backs are a dime a dozen in today's league.  The best RBs we've had in the last 10 years were FA/Trade pick ups and they were beyond adequate.  Hell, the guy we sent to Canton wasn't drafted by us, during a time period where RB was valued far higher than it is today.  I loved Cook, wanted him badly, but he's a RB.  Passing on him is not the end of the world.