Mauldin on roster BUBBLE -- Then so should GM Macc

Paradis

Lorenzo Mauldin - LB - JetsNJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes believes 2015 third-round OLB Lorenzo Mauldin is on the roster bubble.
Mauldin did not help his case by being charged with assault in June, and he has not done much on the field to stake his claim. In fact, Hughes seems to think Mauldin will be cut unless GM Mike Maccagnan decides he cannot give up this early on a third-round pick. Maccagnan's second-round pick that year, WR Devin Smith, has played in 14 games due to injury and will sit out again this season while 2016 second-rounder Christian Hackenberg does not look like he will ever develop into an NFL starter.

What the hell has this GM done for this team? Can someone point to ANY kind of success? 

Why would we trust this guy with next year's crown jewel? 

Why? 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What the hell has this GM done for this team? Seriously. Can someone point to ANY kind of success? It took him 3 seasons to clean up Rex's mess (3 flipping seasons) and all of his picks are pig sh*t 

What planet are you currently residing? Leonard Williams, Darren Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Justin Burris, Charone Peake etc...plus this years draft was solid. Add to that potential starters Brandon Shell and Deon Simon. Mac has done a pretty good job. No GM hits on EVERY pick and I agree that I doubt HACKENBERG is the answer at QB. Mauldin has been injured and not able to show his stuff so far, but he is certainly not a bust even though he may be released it is because you can't wait forever for a guy to get healthy.

What planet are you currently residing? Leonard Williams, Darren Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Justin Burris, Charone Peake etc...plus this years draft was solid. Add to that potential starters Brandon Shell and Deon Simon. Mac has done a pretty good job. No GM hits on EVERY pick and I agree that I doubt HACKENBERG is the answer at QB. Mauldin has been injured and not able to show his stuff so far, but he is certainly not a bust even though he may be released it is because you can't wait forever for a guy to get healthy.

Are you joking? A handicapped child could have picked Williams. That is not going to save his ass. The rest of the guys you listed haven't done anything. Nothing. They're just names on paper right now. Our offence is historically deprived of talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac is a strange case, he has shown some nice scouting ability getting some udf and later round picks.  As a gm is not showing the ability to build a teams.

Whether he deserves it or not I am giving him a break because he is saddled with a TERRIBLE coach and he can do nothing about it.

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What the hell has this GM done for this team? Seriously. Can someone point to ANY kind of success? It took him 3 seasons to clean up Rex's mess (3 flipping seasons) and all of his picks are pig sh*t 

Why the fck would we trust this guy with next year's crown jewel? 

WHY? SOMEONE DEFEND HIM. I CAN'T WAIT

Weren't you the guy that insisted Paxton Lynch was our savior? The same guy that is losing a QB battle with Trevor Semien. Mauldin is one player. Even if he is a complete bust that doesn't justify firing Macc. If Adams turns out to be a bust and a few others are terrible then sure, fire him. But to fire him over Mauldin is comical. 

Mac's drafts have been alright (still too early to fully judge them yet). Leonard Williams has been good, Mauldin has been a contributor so far, Petty was drafted as a project, and a potential backup and possible starter if developed right and Deon Simon has shown some promise. Not a world beater draft but not terrible. Too early to judge any of the '16 draftees. But I like that he found 3 young solid receivers in Peake, Anderson and Marshall and Brandon Shell seems promising. 

52 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Why the fck would we trust this guy with next year's crown jewel? 

WHY? SOMEONE DEFEND HIM. I CAN'T WAIT

If Mauldin is on the roster bubble that's because there is better talent competing for the roster spot.  If there is better talent competing for the roster spot the GM did his job.  It doesn't matter whether the player was drafted or undrafted, it isn't an exact science.  The point is to have enough chips on the table to hopefully hit on a couple.  Seattle is the king of UDFAs, sh*t a lot of their team is comprised of them lol.  Its easy to put so much emphasis on every draft pick since the Jets have done a terrible job for a decade in bringing in talent from any facet but we can't have Macc bear the fault of his predecessors either. 

There are definitely some major question marks over what the Jets have drafted the past few years, but the only real goal of this season will be seeing what any of these young guys really have.  Depending on how that all goes, from the standpoint of individual performances as opposed to team success, that will definitely have a major impact on the overall thoughts of Maccagnan.  The Jets are definitely not going to be good, but come season's end, it will likely be a question of how much or little that has to do with "his guys".

16 minutes ago, August said:

Mac's drafts have been alright (still too early to fully judge them yet). Leonard Williams has been good, Mauldin has been a contributor so far, Petty was drafted as a project, and a potential backup and possible starter if developed right and Deon Simon has shown some promise. Not a world beater draft but not terrible. Too early to judge any of the '16 draftees. But I like that he found 3 young solid receivers in Peake, Anderson and Marshall and Brandon Shell seems promising. 

My favorite defenses of Maccagnan are the ones where people just list a bunch of players he's drafted and append "looks solid" or "shows promise" after each one. This isn't complicated. We're entering year three. We have the worst roster in the league. The guy's a boob.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NFL premium positions in an ever more offensive centric league:

QB

Left Tackle

Offensive weapons (RB or WR)

Outside pass rusher

Shut down corner

Premium positions the Jets have filled the last 3 years:

???????

Profit!

This and the fact pretty much every player hes thrown big money at has sucked out loud. Revis is literally out of the league 2 years after giving him 40 million guaranteed. That alone is fireable.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

My favorite defenses of Maccagnan are the ones where people just list a bunch of players he's drafted and append "looks solid" or "shows promise" after each one. This isn't complicated. We're entering year three. We have the worst roster in the league. The guy's a boob.

He's only had 3 drafts and it's too early to judge any of them. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NFL premium positions in an ever more offensive centric league:

QB

Left Tackle

Offensive weapons (RB or WR)

Outside pass rusher

Shut down corner

Premium positions the Jets have filled the last 3 years:

???????

Profit!

So true. And the whole "BPA" thing should only apply to those positions, with an occasional exception made for DL as in Leonards case. , 

I find it tough after the Idzik debacle to rip Macc to much, the Roster is full of his picks and UDFA class.

If anything The Jets have neglected the O to long and this is not just on our current GM's watch. The next HC has to be an Offensive guy.

The kids are raw but a year of seasoning and Reps will Help when 2018 rocks up. Not sure what he could have done QB wise? - with Adams falling he was always going to be the pick.

You could argue Dak Pesscott, but how would he look with our OLine, running backs, and no Dez? Overall id give him Macc 7/10

Leonard Williams (Star)

Devin Smith (injury ruined him)

Lorenzo Mauldin (injury's average JAG)

Bryce Petty (should be a good NFL back up)

Deon Simon (Solid may will be our starting NT be year end)

Darron Lee (so so rookie year, looking to improve be come more an impact player In 2017)

Christian Hackenberg (I'd like to see him make it. looks like a bust at this stage, over drafted, Maccs Biggest mistake)

Jordan Jenkins (Looks solid. if unspectacular, He's Calvin Pace 2.0)

Juston Burris (looks like he will be a major contributor in 2017, lacks long speed but could be a #2)

Brandon Shell (could be a steal if he can become our starting RT)

Lachlan Edwards (very average rookie campaign, looking for better year 2)

Charone Peake (Young receiver with good skills, should get a lot of snaps this year) 

UDFA
Robbie Anderson (Flashed las year will be our defacto #1 in 2017, hes got speed to burn a little frail on the down side)

Jalin Marshall (Return guy, suspect hands, surprised if he makes the 53 man roster)

Jamal Adams (supposed to be the safest pick in the Draft, has a bad second pre-season game but I think he will be a Star)

Marcus Maye (See above, very similar player like him but sooner we drafted Cook)

ArDarius Stewart (old school physical receiver, hes been injured most of camp OTA's not sure what we have yet)

Chad Hansen (Tall slim rangy receiver, likes to run the 9 injured a lot so far see above)  

Jordan Leggett (Raw with some skills, I want to see how he develops, with state of our TE's forever ,even average play is All Star here)

Dylan Donahue (started OTA brightly disappeared recently, another suck and see player)

Elijah McGuire (Good burst and hands, a little raw but I think he can make it in this league)

Jeremy Clark (need to see more of him injury's)

Derrick Jones (Flashed a little hope he can make it)

mac is terrible-he has drafted one player who appears to be very good in LW who a 5 year old could have taken with that pick-the rest of his picks, contracts and drafts have been garbage-this year will be like any other year we get one maybe two guys that can contribute-you cant build a team only hitting on one player a year while at the same time losing solid players due to FA and signing bad players-Mac is heading in reverse fast and he has put together what will be the worst roster I have seen in my 40 years of going to games-even the kotite team had a few skill guys on it with hope.

The jets need to bring a proven GM-overpay for him and get out his way-enough of the amateur hour

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I find it tough after the Idzik debacle to rip Macc to much, the Roster is full of his picks and UDFA class.

If anything The Jets have neglected the O to long and this is not just on our current GM's watch. The next HC has to be an Offensive guy.

The kids are raw but a year of seasoning and Reps will Help when 2018 rocks up. Not sure what he could have done QB wise? - with Adams falling he was always going to be the pick.

You could argue Dak Pesscott, but how would he look with our OLine, running backs, and no Dez? Overall id give him Macc 7/10

Leonard Williams (Star)

Devin Smith (injury ruined him)

Lorenzo Mauldin (injury's average JAG)

Bryce Petty (should be a good NFL back up)

Deon Simon (Solid may will be our starting NT be year end)

Darron Lee (so so rookie year, looking to improve be come more an impact player In 2017)

Christian Hackenberg (I'd like to see him make it. looks like a bust at this stage, over drafted, Maccs Biggest mistake)

Jordan Jenkins (Looks solid. if unspectacular, He's Calvin Pace 2.0)

Juston Burris (looks like he will be a major contributor in 2017, lacks long speed but could be a #2)

Brandon Shell (could be a steal if he can become our starting RT)

Lachlan Edwards (very average rookie campaign, looking for better year 2)

Charone Peake (Young receiver with good skills, should get a lot of snaps this year) 

UDFA
Robbie Anderson (Flashed las year will be our defacto #1 in 2017, hes got speed to burn a little frail on the down side)

Jalin Marshall (Return guy, suspect hands, surprised if he makes the 53 man roster)

Jamal Adams (supposed to be the safest pick in the Draft, has a bad second pre-season game but I think he will be a Star)

Marcus Maye (See above, very similar player like him but sooner we drafted Cook)

ArDarius Stewart (old school physical receiver, hes been injured most of camp OTA's not sure what we have yet)

Chad Hansen (Tall slim rangy receiver, likes to run the 9 injured a lot so far see above)  

Jordan Leggett (Raw with some skills, I want to see how he develops, with state of our TE's forever ,even average play is All Star here)

Dylan Donahue (started OTA brightly disappeared recently, another suck and see player)

Elijah McGuire (Good burst and hands, a little raw but I think he can make it in this league)

Jeremy Clark (need to see more of him injury's)

Derrick Jones (Flashed a little hope he can make it)

LW is by no means a star yet-he looks like he will be a good player but he is far from a star at this point in his career

the rest of the guys you mentioned would not start on most teams or even make the rosters for some.

I will wait for this season to play out but I think collecting safeties will prove to be a poor choice with so many holes and I only think one of them is going to be a good player

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This.

I usually give a guy 2 years to prove there's going to be change. This guy drafted two ******* safeties.

I have watched the entire NFL draft every year for maybe 15 years. I enjoy it. After our second round pick, I turned off the television, gathered up my wife and kid, took them out for ice cream. Never thought about it again - sort of how I reacted to last season about about week 4 or so. I refuse to let myself be affected negatively by a football team.

19 minutes ago, August said:

He's only had 3 drafts and it's too early to judge any of them. 

Bull. 

The only great pick was the big cat. All the others... Youd have to be very kind to call them jags. 

Maccs drafts are horrible. Just as bad as izdick. We are so fked

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The roster being full of Mac picks only serves to punctuate that Idzik failed so hard. It doesn't mean Mac's picks are any better though.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why don't u give credit to BIG MACC for drafting the DT who kept his first round ILB from beating the sh*t out of his girlfriend at an outdoor concert in front of 1000 people you sojf 

Imagine if the Jaguars took Williams. We were 1 million percent taking Fowler.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The roster being full of Mac picks only serves to punctuate that Idzik failed so hard. It doesn't mean Mac's picks are any better though.

at least on offense i don't know if most of these players have a real shot since the offensive coaching for the past oh, 15 years has been way below league average.  the pats show that player development in a system is critical, and on the other side of the spectrum you have the jets who have no clue what it means to develop wrs/tes/qbs and wind up taking them from other teams b/c it's easier.

Because of the Idzick fan debacle, Mac came in at a tough spot.

Was kind of forced to spend a lot of money on FAs, thus setting a team that was no where near ready to compete back 2 years. Did he want to do that? Or was it a Woody thing?  We'll probably never know.

So he's really just starting now.  And his drafting has been ok, and some nice udfa finds

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Because of the Idzick fan debacle, Mac came in at a tough spot.

Was kind of forced to spend a lot of money on FAs, thus setting a team that was no where near ready to compete back 2 years. Did he want to do that? Or was it a Woody thing?  We'll probably never know.

So he's really just starting now.  And his drafting has been ok, and some nice udfa finds

How did spending a lot of money in his first year effect his limited success in the draft?

16 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ahh, so it was last season that put the nail in Geno's coffin. No one could possibly know he was a failure before last season.

How was he a failure? 2 full years where he improved and showed promise? Before not seeing the field much in years 3 and 4?!

Archived