Mauldin on roster BUBBLE -- Then so should GM Macc

Paradis

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Nah.  Pissing away a huge pile of money and having a worse roster to show for it, plus the second highest dead cap money in the league. That's what did it for me.  Though two safeties didn't help 

WE CAN"T CONTINUE DA SAME CYCLE GUYZ

ny-jets-dumpster-fire.jpg?w=426

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2017 at 0:33 PM, Beerfish said:

Mac is a strange case, he has shown some nice scouting ability getting some udf and later round picks.  As a gm is not showing the ability to build a teams.

Whether he deserves it or not I am giving him a break because he is saddled with a TERRIBLE coach and he can do nothing about it.

A terrible coach and the inability to build a team are mutually inclusive.  It just means both and coach and GM are bad at their respective jobs.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

Because of the Idzick fan debacle, Mac came in at a tough spot.

Was kind of forced to spend a lot of money on FAs, thus setting a team that was no where near ready to compete back 2 years. Did he want to do that? Or was it a Woody thing?  We'll probably never know.

So he's really just starting now.  And his drafting has been ok, and some nice udfa finds

If that is the case, Woody completely misconstrued the fans' revolt against Idzik.  It wasn't about what he did or didn't do in FA; it was all about how poorly he draft.  For GMs it always come done to that lowest denominator.  If you draft well, it really doesn't matter what you do in FA.  FA can buy you a year or 2 of success but that's it.  Green Bay, for example, is rarely a major player in FA, yet they've been able to achieve Mac's elusive goal of "sustainable success" because consistently draft well.  Rookie contracts are mostly 4 years long; you must string together a few good drafts in a row for a successful rebuild.  You hit on a 3-4 guys in back to back drafts and all of he sudden you have yourself a core of young guys that can grow together.  Bad and/or just "ok" drafts just traps you in a perpetual rebuild like the Browns in the past decade.   So, having to spend money in FA is not and excuse for drafting a bunch of JAGs in 2 years.

4 minutes ago, legler82 said:

If that is the case, Woody completely misconstrued the fans' revolt against Idzik.  It wasn't about what he did or didn't do in FA; it was all about how poorly he draft.  For GMs it always come done to that lowest denominator.  If you draft well, it really doesn't matter what you do in FA.  FA can buy you a year or 2 of success but that's it.  Green Bay, for example, is rarely a major player in FA, yet they've been able to achieve Mac's elusive goal of "sustainable success" because consistently draft well.  Rookie contracts are mostly 4 years long; you must string together a few good drafts in a row for a successful rebuild.  You hit on a 3-4 guys in back to back drafts and all of he sudden you have yourself a core of young guys that can grow together.  Bad and/or just "ok" drafts just traps you in a perpetual rebuild like the Browns in the past decade.   So, having to spend money in FA is not and excuse for drafting a bunch of JAGs in 2 years.

Sure. But then again having Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers QBing the franchise for the past 25 years is also kind of a big factor.  I mean if you go back and look at the players that team has drafted for the past 10 years...nothing truly outstanding there.  Some nice hits on OL, DL and S but plenty of failed picks and mediocrity along the way too. 

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

There is a lot of luck involved in the draft to. Williams & Adams dropping to us was complete luck but who cares? Our GM said "thank you" and sent in the cards.

The Adams naysayers here will be eating their words next year. His athleticism, smarts, and passion to be the best, along with his love of football will drive him to be one of the best safeties in the league & Maye looks like he'll break our 2nd round jinx. These 3 guys (Williams included) will probably be the young leaders driving this defense into the future.

2/3 years it takes to develop NFL players, very view jump on the field & take off. You guys had no CLUE who Julian Edelman was but the Pats developed him into a stud slot WR. It's gonna be a tough year but I expect to see some young guys develop & make plays. 

I'm sorry landing a great safety with a top 10 just doesn't get the general fan excited.  The silver lining at the end of a miserable season is the draft and draft position.  To come away with 2 safeties is a bit of a downer even if they turn out to be great players.  Talk about a non-premium position.  The only franchise tags lower than safety is running back and kicker.  Not to mention this team particular and peculiar history of drafting nothing but the defensive players in the first round for nearly a decade.  It seems like every year we draft "young leaders [to drive] this defense into the future".  I think it's about time we get someone behind the wheel of the offense; it's been sitting rusting for some time now.

24 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Sure. But then again having Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers QBing the franchise for the past 25 years is also kind of a big factor.  I mean if you go back and look at the players that team has drafted for the past 10 years...nothing truly outstanding there.  Some nice hits on OL, DL and S but plenty of failed picks and mediocrity along the way too. 

They traded a first round pick for Favre and used a first pick to draft Rodgers.  They also developed Rodgers and transitioned from the Favre to the Rodgers at the exact right  time.  Some teams could have f*cked that up.  They also were able to get a return for Hasselbeck who they drafted in the 6th round.  So they've been the drivers of their success through good scouting and player development; it's not like they are lucky and we are not.  

On 8/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, kmnj said:

LW is by no means a star yet-he looks like he will be a good player but he is far from a star at this point in his career

the rest of the guys you mentioned would not start on most teams or even make the rosters for some.

I will wait for this season to play out but I think collecting safeties will prove to be a poor choice with so many holes and I only think one of them is going to be a good player

i know it's tough to take right now.  clearly mac and bowles are both on a pretty short leash.   but mac has drafted some decent players and williams is a star.  the thing is most of these all stars tend to come from successful teams so put a better team around williams and you'll see his stock rise as well.  the same goes for the qb. we are seeing mccown, hack and petty be so-so primarily because the team is not playing as a team.  they have two weeks to get it together.

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i know it's tough to take right now.  clearly mac and bowles are both on a pretty short leash.   but mac has drafted some decent players and williams is a star.  the thing is most of these all stars tend to come from successful teams so put a better team around williams and you'll see his stock rise as well.  the same goes for the qb. we are seeing mccown, hack and petty be so-so primarily because the team is not playing as a team.  they have two weeks to get it together.

So-so means moderately well.  Care to amend your post? 

18 hours ago, Pcola said:

Mauldin is not going to get Macc fired.  Devin Smith, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, none are going to get Macc fired.  

Drafting Hack is going to get Macc fired.  And not totally because he is not an NFL QB, but, because drafting him forced the team to pass on Lynch, Prescott, Kessler, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, Peterman and prevented him from trading up for Trubisky.  All of which look head and shoulders better than the what we are trotting out there.

Hack was a bit of a reach but not IMO the disastrous pick that some make it out to be.  I do agree passing on potential FQB because of Hack, just a 2nd round pick, may comeback and bite him.  By his actions he is essentially telling us that Hack > Mahomes, Kizer and Watson and/or next years class > this year.  Problem is the former may be proven wrong this year which may not allow him to get the chance to prove he was right about the latter.  Do the Jets want the guy that has filled the position with Fitz, Petty, Hack and McCown to be the guy to draft our QB with next year 1st pick?  It's arguably going to be the biggest draft choice for this team in over a decade.

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

Hack was a bit of a reach but not IMO the disastrous pick that some make it out to be.  I do agree passing on potential FQB because of Hack, just a 2nd round pick, may comeback and bite him.  By his actions he is essentially telling us that Hack > Mahomes, Kizer and Watson and/or next years class > this year.  Problem is the former may be proven wrong this year which may not allow him to get the chance to prove he was right about the latter.  Do the Jets want the guy that has filled the position with Fitz, Petty, Hack and McCown to be the guy to draft our QB with next year 1st pick?  It's arguably going to be the biggest draft choice for this team in over a decade.

If it's the #1 pick and there's a potential FQB, it's the biggest draft pick the Jets would make since 1965.

And at Hack's rate of improvement, he'll be ready to take over when Darnold leaves via free agency.

2 hours ago, legler82 said:

What are the odds set at that we don't take a QB at the top of round 1? 

Things that could happen:

• Darnold stays in school
  • Rosen stays in school
  • We end up with a very high pick, but not high enough for a QB rated at the top of round 1
  • Derwin James is the BAP on Macc's board when it's our pick
  • To close out the season, Hackenberg has good statistical games in losses against the Saints & Chargers, as well as a win vs the Pats' 3rd stringers in week 17 (when BB purposely benches every defensive starter to prop up Hackenberg and get the Jets to hold off on drafting a QB until rounds 3-5).

On 8/21/2017 at 11:46 AM, Paradis said:

What the hell has this GM done for this team? Can someone point to ANY kind of success? 

Why would we trust this guy with next year's crown jewel? 

Why? 

Mac is securing us the #1 pick in next years draft.  And it's damn near impossible to screw up a wet dream. 

12 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Having the worst team in the league three years in is the best argument you can come up with in favor of our GM?

I don't think that Mac was making these calls solo.  The Jets are where they are because the Braintrust as a whole made a lot of questionable decisions.

I can see Hack being basically on Mac.  But trying to be competitive in 2015, signing Fitz in 2016, not trading SR, signing Wilkerson, signing Revis-Macc had a lot of help on those decisions.

28 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think that Mac was making these calls solo.  The Jets are where they are because the Braintrust as a whole made a lot of questionable decisions.

Making decisions by braintrust-as-a-whole is the most questionable call there is. The fact that there's room to ask whether Mac or somebody is responsible for stuff, and to answer in the negative, is the very definition of being on the wrong side of Rule Number One. Until there is somebody in charge and everybody knows who it is, nothing else matters.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Having the worst team in the league three years in is the best argument you can come up with in favor of our GM?

I was being facetious.  Not a big fan of Mac. His terrible decisions will surely get us another top 5 pick, if not the top pick in next years draft.  Since he's been thrown into the fire he's come out like a crisply burnt marshmallow. 

B8599.jpg

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• To close out the season, Hackenberg has good statistical games in losses against the Saints & Chargers, as well as a win vs the Pats' 3rd stringers in week 17 (when BB purposely benches every defensive starter to prop up Hackenberg and get the Jets to hold off on drafting a QB until rounds 3-5).

I could see BB forfeiting a game so we couldn't get the #1 pick. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I can see Hack being basically on Mac.  But trying to be competitive in 2015, signing Fitz in 2016, not trading SR, signing Wilkerson, signing Revis-Macc had a lot of help on those decisions.

1-I think someone up top definitely tells them the direction to go in.  

2-I think Mac has definitely taken positions and has been overruled.

3-I think the coaches have a large say in who gets drafted-Macc is not drafting a team for a to-be-replaced coach.  He is drafting players for the team that Bowles wants to field.

2 is most problematic.  

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

3-I think the coaches have a large say in who gets drafted-Macc is not drafting a team for a to-be-replaced coach.  He is drafting players for the team that Bowles wants to field.

2 is most problematic.  

Yes, now tell us what you actually know .

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Its the same approach Theo used with rebuilding the Cubs

I wonder if Cubs fans gave up in the 1st off season.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

WOW

CAN I GET ALL THESE EXCUSES AT MY JOB?

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Its the same approach Theo used with rebuilding the Cubs

I wonder if Cubs fans gave up in the 1st off season.

Theo knows how to evaluate young talent in his sport.

Mac knows nothing.  Exhibit A the abortion starting at qb tonight

12 hours ago, varjet said:

2 is most problematic.  

I say all of this is post is made up nonsense excuses apologizing for an insanely incompetent GM

It appears Mac had a very good draft this year.  The first four selections (2 safeties, 2 WRs) look solid.  This will be your classic rebuilding season.  We all knew going in that the wins/loss record won't be great, but lets see how they progress as the season goes along.  

Jets coach Todd Bowles said OLB Lorenzo Mauldin (back) could be headed to injured reserve.

Mauldin has missed all but a few days this August with a "significant back injury." On the roster bubble anyway, stashing him on injured reserve could make sense for everyone. The Jets added Kony Ealy off the waiver wire on Sunday.

On August 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac is a horrific gm.  He will be fired the minute the season ends.  He has no clue what he is doing.

The best part is that Woody probably told Mac his job is safe even if he blows it up.  He'll have his stooge brother can Mac and after the season.  Woody is a ******* snake.

On 8/27/2017 at 0:17 AM, joewilly12 said:

I could see BB forfeiting a game so we couldn't get the #1 pick. 

He constructively will forfeit that game seeing as they will have home field locked up. Playing-for-his-job Bowles will grab the win like a sober hobo after a bottle of Ripple.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:09 AM, JetsFanatic said:

It appears Mac had a very good draft this year.  The first four selections (2 safeties, 2 WRs) look solid.  This will be your classic rebuilding season.  We all knew going in that the wins/loss record won't be great, but lets see how they progress as the season goes along.  

what do you base this on? we have zero quality wrs on this team-we have propped up anderson to be some stud wr when the reality is he does not even start for most teams

On 8/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

What are the odds set at that we don't take a QB at the top of round 1? 

Things that could happen:

• Darnold stays in school
  • Rosen stays in school
  • We end up with a very high pick, but not high enough for a QB rated at the top of round 1
  • Derwin James is the BAP on Macc's board when it's our pick

Josh Allen won't stay in school . If he has another good year 

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Didn't forget him ... just had a hard time seeing his ultra thin frame ... and then remembered is is destinies to be no more than a 3rd option role player.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I love that the defenders of Macc use UDFA Anderson as "proof" that Macc hasn't been terrible. When in reality, the fact that Anderson is our de facto #1 is game, set, match against their point. If Macc did a competent job Anderson would be a role player as you state.

Archived