WFAN/Francesa at Jets Camp today

C Mart

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

well, this is the same teams that wouldn't let mccown talk after the preseason game, so....

I still think it's a possibility only players that play in the game are permitted to speak after a game. There's no reason the media needs to speak to someone that didn't play in the game

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I still think it's a possibility only players that play in the game are permitted to speak after a game. There's no reason the media needs to speak to someone that didn't play in the game

so if leonard williams was held out of the game with a sore calf, the media couldn't speak to him today?

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Hackenberg... to paraphrase his own words is a "laid back, southern kid who likes hunting and fishing".

Why doesnt that bestow confidence in me?

I'd guess if he said he was a social guy, likes being out and about others would same the samething. 

Mumblings of people who know Hack say he is laid back, mellow.  I don't know whether that is a positive.

I continue to think Flacco is one of the closet NFL comparisons to Hack, at least for potential.  He really needs a supporting cast and good coaching so he can stand and deliver the football.

Given the importance of defense on the Ravens too, they have suffered with all the money they paid to Flacco.  That was a mistake in my opinion-that is the danger of not having a QB cap.  Flacco sucked the money out of that team, and he was not a player with the mobility and moxie that was going to bring the team up around him.

Macc's undoing will be how he handled Hack.  He was drafted as a bargain/value play that could develop for 2 years while Fitz ran his time out.  

But Fitz would not sign that 3 year contract, and drafting Hack before doing that was malpractice.  This was part of the Jets plan to be continuously competitive.  The rebuild only started this year, with total rebuild after the draft.  Why otherwise sign Beachum and Claiborne if you thought you were tanking?  Two safeties?  Bowles and Macc were trying to be better this year than they will be.

So the Jets had a choice, they could treat Hack like Carr and give it a good go with him and provide the tools he needed, or based on what they saw, they could save money, put out what they could, and draft high next year.

After diddledallying around it, the Jets basically decided that it was not worth missing out on a true potential FQB by giving Hack a true chance, so they will roll out the Bad News Jets and hope to draft high.

But with Boldin's retirement today, the Bills are fast in the tank pursuit.  Just remember that their staff is in year 1 of long term deals, where the Jets staff is basically in their last.  My guess is that the Jets beat the Bills 2x and the Jaguars, with those 2 teams in the running for the top draft picks.

People are raving about Petty's performance this week, and it was a good one against the backups or worse.  It does deserve credit. But Petty also has another year under his belt.  Look at McCown, Fitz, others who have played a long time.  Look at Savage finally figuring it out.  It can take awhile.  It can and will take Hack awhile.  He will be functional.  Good?  Great?  I don't know.  But he will be more functional.  I think for a variety of reasons Hack should get a chance to play with the B team.  

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I'd guess if he said he was a social guy, likes being out and about others would same the samething. 

Do you manage people?   After a while, you get a sense.  A client of mine commented when she gives a plant tour, she has learned when the candidate is always 2 steps behind her, they never work out.    His tone was very laid back, not overly ambitious but to your point, It was one interview.   

55 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mumblings of people who know Hack say he is laid back, mellow.  I don't know whether that is a positive.

I continue to think Flacco is one of the closet NFL comparisons to Hack, at least for potential.  He really needs a supporting cast and good coaching so he can stand and deliver the football.

Given the importance of defense on the Ravens too, they have suffered with all the money they paid to Flacco.  That was a mistake in my opinion-that is the danger of not having a QB cap.  Flacco sucked the money out of that team, and he was not a player with the mobility and moxie that was going to bring the team up around him.

Macc's undoing will be how he handled Hack.  He was drafted as a bargain/value play that could develop for 2 years while Fitz ran his time out.  

But Fitz would not sign that 3 year contract, and drafting Hack before doing that was malpractice.  This was part of the Jets plan to be continuously competitive.  The rebuild only started this year, with total rebuild after the draft.  Why otherwise sign Beachum and Claiborne if you thought you were tanking?  Two safeties?  Bowles and Macc were trying to be better this year than they will be.

So the Jets had a choice, they could treat Hack like Carr and give it a good go with him and provide the tools he needed, or based on what they saw, they could save money, put out what they could, and draft high next year.

After diddledallying around it, the Jets basically decided that it was not worth missing out on a true potential FQB by giving Hack a true chance, so they will roll out the Bad News Jets and hope to draft high.

But with Boldin's retirement today, the Bills are fast in the tank pursuit.  Just remember that their staff is in year 1 of long term deals, where the Jets staff is basically in their last.  My guess is that the Jets beat the Bills 2x and the Jaguars, with those 2 teams in the running for the top draft picks.

People are raving about Petty's performance this week, and it was a good one against the backups or worse.  It does deserve credit. But Petty also has another year under his belt.  Look at McCown, Fitz, others who have played a long time.  Look at Savage finally figuring it out.  It can take awhile.  It can and will take Hack awhile.  He will be functional.  Good?  Great?  I don't know.  But he will be more functional.  I think for a variety of reasons Hack should get a chance to play with the B team.  

I don't think taking Hack away from the backup position is really in the Jets plans.  The question is do you cut Petty?

I am on the side of absolutely not! 

And if the Jets were to do that, IMO they shouldn't have brought in McCown because Petty already showed he can be a serviceable backup last year, which is far more than functional in my book.  As you put it Brook Bollinger was "functional."  If Mac is look for Hack to be merely functional he should resign tomorrow; you don't waste second round picks on guys you think might be functional in two or three years.  

The Jets are not here to resurrect McCown's career...

Mac and Bowles don't get six or seven years to attempt to draft a serviceable QB!  No one of these guys better be more than "functional" or Mac and Bowles will and should be GONE!!

1 hour ago, varjet said:

wait a second.  do you think yourself or any other jet fan would want fitz around to play this season?  i can see the rationale in sitting hack for a season or two but i can't see having fitz at qb as the reason.  at least not at this point.  i agree mac got played because he should've just let geno stink it up last season.  the thing too is have any of the qb's realistically within reach of mac's drafts really amounted to anything?  it's too early to tell on that score.  feel free to crow if lynch, watson, mahomes or kizer light it up.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Do you manage people?   After a while, you get a sense.  A client of mine commented when she gives a plant tour, she has learned when the candidate is always 2 steps behind her, they never work out.    His tone was very laid back, not overly ambitious but to your point, It was one interview.   

I have. Favre was a southern guy that liked to fish & hunt. We could play this all day who is laid back, who is sociable etc..

I'm not drawing any conclusions off a radio spot. 

27 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Francessa  had a lot of upbeat things to say about Jamal Adams.  MAybe because he was in NJ but his overall theme for the JETS was fair......   

I didn't catch it today, But Mike has been pretty fair to the Jets since Macc and Bowles took over. Maybe because of the Parcells thing with Bowles. I don't know. All I DO know is that he really didn't like Rex or Idzik. 

Archived