Jets wanted Kamara, but Mac said no

MDL_JET

https://t.co/zBUVvwqfWr

Nearly four months after dual-threat running back Alvin Kamara landed in New Orleans, a faction of people on One Jets Drive that wanted the former Tennessee star are still miffed by their general manager’s relatively passive approach, according to team insiders.

The bottom line: There were important people in the organization, who wanted to make an aggressive play to draft the big-play back, but the final decision maker opted to take the safer, more deliberate route, sources said. The fortune-favors-the-bold crowd took a back seat to the draft-pick hoarder.

A team with no play-makers passed up on an opportunity to position themselves to draft a potential game-breaker, prompting folks in the building to shake their heads in disappointment and wonder aloud: What the heck are we doing?

Even though Manish does this pretty much every season, it does sound Mac like. More fuel to the fire! Enjoy.

I have no interest in defending Macc, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Is this supposed gripe that the Jets didn't trade up before the Saints traded up a few pick ahead of them?  He was off the board before the Jets original 3rd rounder (which they then traded down from), and the Jets had last picked a full round earlier when they took Maye (which is an entirely different debate of course).

In truth, WR was a much bigger need than RB, which is the direction they ended up going with Stewart.  That of course doesn't mean much if Kamara ends up being the much better of the two, but I find it hard to believe there's some massive grudge held over this two weeks into the preseason of their respective rookie years.

I would think there's plenty more things for people to be rightly pissed off at Macc for, than one particular guy he didn't bother to trade up for who plays the least disastrous position on the Jets' offense.  In a year the Jets had every reason to accumulate more picks, I think people's heads would have exploded if they traded up for a RB (or, of course, any defensive player).

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm putting twenty bucks on John Morton here

A remember I think 2 years ago a OC getting fired, or resigning after the 4th preseason game maybe the Jaguars, or something?  This would be so Jets if that happened this year.

In my opinion there is no question that the Jets are very wary to breach guaranteed contracts.  It is why they keep staff and players around too long.  Mac and Woody signed up for Powell and Forte in 2017.  We are basically stuck with them.  I particularly do not like them for this offense, and I think the RBs and the running game will be a big negative this year, among others.  

I would personally take another RB and cut Forte and bear the cost.  He is not the future.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This particular player aside this draft had some very good impact running backs  and we waited until the 6th round to pick one.

We'll find out in time, but I think they got a pretty damn good one in round 6.  As is the case with every rookie, he's not perfect, but unlike a lot of rookies, he can do a lot of things very well.

I just don't think Macc puts a high value on RB's based on his history and I actually tend to agree.  While I'm the first to get upset about our lack of investment in draft picks for the offense, making that move for a running back would've be asinine.  

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

In my opinion there is no question that the Jets are very wary to breach guaranteed contracts.  It is why they keep staff and players around too long.  Mac and Woody signed up for Powell and Forte in 2017.  We are basically stuck with them.  I particularly do not like them for this offense, and I think the RBs and the running game will be a big negative this year, among others.  

I would personally take another RB and cut Forte and bear the cost.  He is not the future.

If healthy Forte and Powell are great fits for a WCO - now that if appears to be a big IF.

Looks like Manish traded a disgruntled jackass on the coaching staff for a disgruntled jackass on the scouting staff. I doubt any team ever has a complete consesnsus on draft picks but the fact that someone would go bitching to Manish because they didn't get their pick is B-S. Anyone cought doing it should be shown the door!

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think we are going to see a lot player moment for the jets at cut down date as in picking up players other teams have cut or practice squaded.

One can only hope. Mini-draft is here again... doot-dooot-doo!!!

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Can't wait for all the has been, or never were WR's to shake free from Arizona, Houston, SF, and NO!

I'm personally rooting for Stevan Ridley to lose the #4 RB job in Denver, so he can make a triumphant return here. Also, very high on whoever the #5 WR for Cincy is. I don't know who it actually is, but I'm high on him.

And I'd be lying if I said I won't be psyched when we land the one poor slob who is so bad he couldn't make the Giants as an OL.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

My goodness the media that covers this team is the worst.

They are trolls but the jets coach and GM fall into the trap of just not coming out and clearing up some issues.   This adds fuel to speculation.   The whole QB resp thing has been odd.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

They are trolls but the jets coach and GM fall into the trap of just not coming out and clearing up some issues.   This adds fuel to speculation.   The whole QB resp thing has been odd.

How many GMs or coaches speak about possible, but possibly very unlikely draft trades?

if they come out and say that they have decided to leave the competition between Petty and Hack, then the beat writers will write "McCown, clearly the best qb was lied to by the Jets brass" or "Jets trying to tank by benching McCown."

33 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Looks like Manish traded a disgruntled jackass on the coaching staff for a disgruntled jackass on the scouting staff. I doubt any team ever has a complete consesnsus on draft picks but the fact that someone would go bitching to Manish because they didn't get their pick is B-S. Anyone cought doing it should be shown the door!

Maybe its the guy that left already.

"Never mind that Kamara was off the board 12 spots before the Jets were on the clock in the third round"

NO Jets had the 6th pick in the third round Kamara was picked 3 spots ahead of them the Jets traded down after he was picked

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

We'll find out in time, but I think they got a pretty damn good one in round 6.  As is the case with every rookie, he's not perfect, but unlike a lot of rookies, he can do a lot of things very well.

It's important to note that he was someone we wanted.  Never as valuable as someone another team wanted.  Every team in the NFL knows more than our FO.

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Powell and Forte will give you everything a mid round RB will.  Next season you draft the future 

Archived