Jump to content

Rex Ryan to Jameis Winston: "I'm jealous, I never had a quarterback like you."


Jetsfan80
 Share

Recommended Posts

For the first time in eight years, Rex Ryan is off the NFL grid.

Ryan received a pink slip in January after an uninspired two-year run with the Bills, and his prospects of getting a third big-chair opportunity may be slim. It's fair to assume Ryan will eventually resurface on an NFL sideline as a defensive coordinator (he was always good at that), but for now Ryan is doing TV work with ESPN -- an NFL lifer's version of purgatory.

On tonight's third episode of Hard Knocks, Ryan makes a cameo. Ryan is part of an ESPN Monday Night Football pre-production meeting with Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston, who is surprised to see the famous coach as he enters the conference room.

"What's up coach? You with this crew now?" Winston asks.

"Yeah, well now ... I'm a backup," Ryan responds.

Ryan, of course, cemented his reputation as a gregarious and foul-mouthed leader of men during an iconic Hard Knocks star turn in 2010. No other individual -- player or coach -- benefitted from the Hard Knocks cameras as much as Ryan, and perhaps the Jets fan in this author has a twinge of melancholy seeing Ryan return to the show years later in such a marginalized state.

"You have everything on this team you need to win," Ryan says to Winston. "I'm jealous, I never had a quarterback like you. Unfortunately, I got plenty of time to watch."

Hang in there, coach.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

If Ryan was Winston's coach, Winston would not be the QB he is right now

Yeah right.  The guy was the #1 overall pick and came in with a lot of hype.  He would have been good QB regardless.  Do you think Lovie Smith developed him?  How did Mark Sanchez do after he left the Jets?  That guy sucks and has always sucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah right.  The guy was the #1 overall pick and came in with a lot of hype.  He would have been good QB regardless.  Do you think Lovie Smith developed him?  How did Mark Sanchez do after he left the Jets?  That guy sucks and has always sucked.

Eh I'd argue that Sanchez is more of a victim of the lack of QB development he got in NY while Rex lived off the team Manginin built with a strong defense and great o-line.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah right.  The guy was the #1 overall pick and came in with a lot of hype.  He would have been good QB regardless.  Do you think Lovie Smith developed him?  How did Mark Sanchez do after he left the Jets?  That guy sucks and has always sucked.

Thank Rex that Winston is not a Jet

 

Those totally meaningless wins at the end of 2014 make me feel great

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Eh I'd argue that Sanchez is more of a victim of the lack of QB development he got in NY while Rex lived off the team Manginin built with a strong defense and great o-line.

Mangini's defense blew.  It could not stop the pass.

Also, the 2010 roster looked a lot different than the 2008 roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Eh I'd argue that Sanchez is more of a victim of the lack of QB development he got in NY while Rex lived off the team Manginin built with a strong defense and great o-line.

Also, Sanchez blowing is his own fault.  His arm was always average at best on a good day and his accuracy was not good.  The OL play in 2011 and the lack of weapons in 2012 probably finished him off, but don't kid yourself.  He was never a great prospect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Rex and Favre and the Jets win a SB in 09, 10 or both - the missed opportunity of a lifetime

Unfortunately, we wouldn't have Bart Scott, Leonhard, or any of the free agents we signed that season and in fact we would have probably had to cut Pace of Faneca to keep Favre and his salary.  So there is no guarantee that we would have been better.  I Can say this, on one hand we wouldn't have had the Red, yellow, green cards but we wouldn't have had anywhere near the defense that we had in 2009-2010.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Rex and Favre and the Jets win a SB in 09, 10 or both - the missed opportunity of a lifetime

Hypothetical arguments rule.

If I hadn't gotten married, I'd be banging half the Victoria's Secret models right now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Guy desperately tried to keep Mark Sanchez as his starter to the literal end, which led to Sanchez getting murdered in the Snoopy Bowl. Rex has no excuses, but the fact he keeps making them shows you what a poor leader he was, ultimately, and why his success was never going to be sustainable. 

The good old days on Jets insider when you would get banned for calling Mark Sanchez a terrible QB during those vs 2 years. Anyone with 2 eyes could see the team had to carry that piece of turd yet you would get screamed at and told you can't be anything other than a troll not to love the Sanchize.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Understanding that there are NFL franchises with a worse track record than the Jets, in my lifetime we have the Super Bowl, the Mud Bowl in Miami, the Testaverde Bowl in Denver and TWO AFCCG's games with Sanchez at QB.

So, if you define CG as success, Sanchez has been there for 40% of the Jets' success over the last 50 years.

He was flawed.  He was abused.   The key is though that the Jets built a team that allowed him to succeed.  They did not feel sorry from themselves because they did not have a Manning, they built a team that an Ok QB could have success with.  Like the Cowboys have done.   I think that is the smart model.

The Jets defense is coming together.   Macc should have spent the last 3 years building an OL.  Same story-there was investment tha thad to run off.  Jim Leonhard was the safety on that team.  If we are investing resources at safety, we need to get by at corner.  Not the typical model.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

Understanding that there are NFL franchises with a worse track record than the Jets, in my lifetime we have the Super Bowl, the Mud Bowl in Miami, the Testaverde Bowl in Denver and TWO AFCCG's games with Sanchez at QB.

So, if you define CG as success, Sanchez has been there for 40% of the Jets' success over the last 50 years.

He was flawed.  He was abused.   The key is though that the Jets built a team that allowed him to succeed.  They did not feel sorry from themselves because they did not have a Manning, they built a team that an Ok QB could have success with.  Like the Cowboys have done.   I think that is the smart model.

The Jets defense is coming together.   Macc should have spent the last 3 years building an OL.  Same story-there was investment tha thad to run off.  Jim Leonhard was the safety on that team.  If we are investing resources at safety, we need to get by at corner.  Not the typical model.

The venom being spewed towards the HC and starting QB responsible for as you astutely pointed out 40% of the Jets' success for the past half century is astonishing.  From what I've read it seems it was really Mangini who coached the team quarterbacked by the defense.  Does Tanny deserve to be stripped of his accomplishment too?  Was Terry Bradway the real mastermind behind those rosters?  Aren't we an ungrateful bunch?

Fun fact Mark Sanchez has started for a franchise record 6 playoff games all on the road and possess a better postseason passer rating than Tom Brady, both Manning brothers, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Big Ben and Troy Aikman to name a few.

Mark Sanchez, who has appeared in a Jets franchise record 6 playoff games, has a better postseason passer rating than Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. (pro-football-reference.com)

Submitted  by mrpodo

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, legler82 said:

The venom being spewed towards the HC and starting QB responsible for as you astutely pointed out 40% of the Jets' success for the past half century is astonishing.  From what I've read it seems it was really Mangini who coached the team quarterbacked by the defense.  Does Tanny deserve stripped of his accomplishment too?  Was Terry Bradway the real mastermind behind those rosters?  Aren't we an ungrateful bunch?

Fun fact Mark Sanchez has started for a franchise record 6 playoff games all on the road and possess a better postseason passer rating than Tom Brady, both Manning,  Steve Young, Brett Favre, Big Ben and Troy Aikman to name a few.

Mark Sanchez, who has appeared in a Jets franchise record 6 playoff games, has a better postseason passer rating than Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. (pro-football-reference.com)

Submitted  by mrpodo

thank you.  it was not Mark Sanchez.  It was the team that they built together.  Faneca, Woody, Brick, Mangold, Revis, Bart Scott.  Good coaching.  

As the first players they acquired started to age out, Tanny gave them too much money.  He borrowed from the future.  But he built a team with his Team.

I am sorry.  I think Mac and Bowles are better people.  They may know football better.  But they are not building a team now.  Tanny had the business guy factor to do that.  That is why he is the President of the Dolphins and has a GM reporting to him.  Duh.

The good news is that because the Dolphins are trying to win now, and their Qb is troubled, they will crash.  

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Rex and Favre and the Jets win a SB in 09, 10 or both - the missed opportunity of a lifetime

Brian Schottenheimer baby.  Favre peaced out once he knew our loser OC wasn't going anywhere or installing a West Coast playbook he knew

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah, Mark Sanchez won 4 playoff games.  One of the biggest bullsh*t statements that you keep repeating on here. L

More like the defense won 4 playoff games.  Go ride around with your boyfriend Mark in your cheap BMW.

Mark Sanchez is the quarterback who led us to sustained victory and is the prototype of the young quarterback you are longing for now.  Enjoying the wait?  Might only take 40 years.

My cheapest BMW is the one I gifted to my son as a birthday present, it cost $9,000. The other two cost $60,000. Each. 

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...