Rex Ryan to Jameis Winston: "I'm jealous, I never had a quarterback like you."

Jetsfan80

On 8/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

For the first time in eight years, Rex Ryan is off the NFL grid.

Ryan received a pink slip in January after an uninspired two-year run with the Bills, and his prospects of getting a third big-chair opportunity may be slim. It's fair to assume Ryan will eventually resurface on an NFL sideline as a defensive coordinator (he was always good at that), but for now Ryan is doing TV work with ESPN -- an NFL lifer's version of purgatory.

On tonight's third episode of Hard Knocks, Ryan makes a cameo. Ryan is part of an ESPN Monday Night Football pre-production meeting with Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston, who is surprised to see the famous coach as he enters the conference room.

"What's up coach? You with this crew now?" Winston asks.

"Yeah, well now ... I'm a backup," Ryan responds.

Ryan, of course, cemented his reputation as a gregarious and foul-mouthed leader of men during an iconic Hard Knocks star turn in 2010. No other individual -- player or coach -- benefitted from the Hard Knocks cameras as much as Ryan, and perhaps the Jets fan in this author has a twinge of melancholy seeing Ryan return to the show years later in such a marginalized state.

"You have everything on this team you need to win," Ryan says to Winston. "I'm jealous, I never had a quarterback like you. Unfortunately, I got plenty of time to watch."

Hang in there, coach.

Of course Winston's response should have been: "Thank God I never had a coach like you"

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tom_brady_and_mark_sanchez_by_andas3-d4gcgs3.jpg

Thank God Mark Sanchez never won 4 playoff games including defeating Tom Brady in Foxboro. I mean, because if he did you'd sound pretty stupid right now. 

SAR I

i can remember the exact game that changed Mark Sanchez's career ... i think it was a night game vs the ravens where he was brutalized more than any player in the history of sports. He had a ton of upside till then.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Dunnie said:

i can remember the exact game that changed Mark Sanchez's career ... i think it was a night game vs the ravens where he was brutalized more than any player in the history of sports. He had a ton of upside till then.

that was a rough game w/ Mangold out and a guy that had never played before getting crushed but he did play well at times during that season after that game.  in 2012 we had literally no talent around him after Holmes and keller got hurt.  he had no chance. I just wish Mark was our QB in 2015 b/c we would have had a chance to go deep in the playoffs again.

23 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Everyone blames Rex but the real downfall causers were Schotty and Tanenbaum.  Only reason Schotty barely still has the qb coach gig in Indy is because Irsay is drunk all the time and his father has connections.  Worst offensive coordinator ever it goes to show execution of plays matters more than play selection because holy cow.  Schotty will be fired from Indy after this season and you will never hear about him again.

And Mike Tanenbaum.  Holy cow.  The drafts he had.  The inability to evaluate the WR position and the cherry on top was trading for Tim Teblow

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that was a rough game w/ Mangold out and a guy that had never played before getting crushed 

I loved Schitty's gameplan.  "Hey guys, Nick Mangold is injured and we are playing against Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis let's run the ball up the middle the entire game!"

14 minutes ago, thadude said:

It's going to look Montana-like compared to the sh_tshow you are about to see this season!

Can't really get any worse than having to watch the butt fumble a 1000 times in a year..

23 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lmaoo Ravens did a few QBs in for us .. I remember Kellen Clemens first start . I believe it was Ed reed that crushed him the first play of the Game..

On 8/23/2017 at 10:55 PM, Dunnie said:

i can remember the exact game that changed Mark Sanchez's career ... i think it was a night game vs the ravens where he was brutalized more than any player in the history of sports. He had a ton of upside till then

People point to that Baltimore game as some turning point, but it actually wasn't as Mark went 6-3 after that game throwing 15 TD's and only 6 interceptions in that 9 game stretch.

He had us sitting at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play, another 10 or 11 win season in the bag, and then the Defense gave up 45 points at Philadelphia (5-8) and let Victor Cruz go 99 yards for the Giants (7-7) ending our season and the elite AFC team we were thought to be.  As a result of the defensive collapse, Rex Ryan was forced to use all available free agent money and draft picks on that side of the ball to protect his reputation.  So the WR's and RB's and RG we desperately needed to fill the shoes of playmakers like Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc. were never obtained, our OC was replaced with Tony Sparano, and Mark was set up for failure with Chaz Schillenz, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates who never belonged in the NFL.

So it wasn't the Baltimore game that did Mark in.  It was the pretend Top 3 defense myth that Rex Ryan needed to perpetuate in order to be viewed as a 'genius'.  In the big picture, we sacrificed the best QB prospect we've seen in 40 years so Rex Ryan could land a job in Buffalo.

SAR I

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

People point to that Baltimore game as some turning point, but it actually wasn't as Mark went 6-3 after that game throwing 15 TD's and only 6 interceptions in that 9 game stretch.

He had us sitting at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play, another 10 or 11 win season in the bag, and then the Defense gave up 45 points at Philadelphia (5-8) and let Victor Cruz go 99 yards for the Giants (7-7) ending our season and the elite AFC team we were thought to be.  As a result of the defensive collapse, Rex Ryan was forced to use all available free agent money and draft picks on that side of the ball to protect his reputation.  So the WR's and RB's and RG we desperately needed to fill the shoes of playmakers like Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc. were never obtained, our OC was replaced with Tony Sparano, and Mark was set up for failure with Chaz Schillenz, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates who never belonged in the NFL.

So it wasn't the Baltimore game that did Mark in.  It was the pretend Top 3 defense myth that Rex Ryan needed to perpetuate in order to be viewed as a 'genius'.  In the big picture, we sacrificed the best QB prospect we've seen in 40 years so Rex Ryan could land a job in Buffalo.

SAR I

Till this day I maintain that Sanchez hurt his shoulder late that 2011 season.  I have this theory that from that point on until that infamous hit in the Giants preseason game in 2013 his arm was hanging by a thread.  That hit was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.  He was always proned to bad decisions and INTs but from late 2011 through 2012 we started seeing those flutter balls up for grabs, not unlike Favre at the end of the 2008 season.  After he had the surgery, he had the zip back.  Of course, he was still throwing picks but no more of those ducks.  When he writes his "tell all" book, then we will know the truth...lol

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is one hell of a long overdue post/notion.  Why Sanchez is so roundly hated here is beyond me.  Two championships and all we seem to do here is spout this BS about winning despite him.  Such childish nonsense.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Heavy stuff, but generally correct.

I look forward to Sanchez being placed in the Jets Ring of Honor.  The QB leads the team. He led the team to 2 AFCCG.  He did.  

His story would be an American miracle if he did not lose his money.

SAR I

that was the game where his shoulder got hurt and changed his throwing motion from there on ,,, no ?

This is one hell of a long overdue post/notion.  Why Sanchez is so roundly hated here is beyond me.  Two championships and all we seem to do here is spout this BS about winning despite him.  Such childish nonsense.  

i think my post got mis interpreted ,,, i really liked Sanchez ,,,but remember him getting hurt and trying to play through the injury all year, i also remember that he did look different after that game ... like he was compensating for in injury. I never hated mark ... i hated Rex for putting him in that situation with a turnstyle OL.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

that was the game where his shoulder got hurt and changed his throwing motion from there on ,,, no ?

He took a vicious hit on the right shoulder in that Philly blowout too.  It's hard to know for sure when he may have hurt his shoulder cause he took a lot of hits that year behind that leaky online.  I just remember those ducks coming later in the season.  Maybe it didn't affect him til then, maybe he reaggravated it late in the season or maybe my memory is failing me and he was throwing those flutters since the Bmore game.  Either way at some point his shoulder got f*cked up and he wasn't the same.

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Hear hear.  Watching the Jets front office set up Chad Pennington as the legacy quarterback who'll get applause from the crowd in future generations while Mark Sanchez is ignored makes me physically ill.  Once he retires he'd better be treated well by this organization.

SAR I

8 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

What championships?

On 8/22/2017 at 1:46 PM, Integrity28 said:

Always the victim. 

Narcissism at its finest.

Pathetic slob.

He really is a pathetic clown. People in the NFL are smart. they saw he did pretty well for two years with talent supplied by Mangini and then did nothing, including in Buffalo, but be an embarrassment. he was beyond cringeworthy on HN the other night.

1 hour ago, Brady's a catcher said:

He really is a pathetic clown. People in the NFL are smart. they saw he did pretty well for two years with talent supplied by Mangini and then did nothing, including in Buffalo, but be an embarrassment. he was beyond cringeworthy on HN the other night.

so what did Mangini do w/ the talent supplied by Mangini?

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Those 3 losses had nothing to do with committing 10 turnovers? Scoring under 20 points each game? :huh:

39 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

Those 3 losses had nothing to do with committing 10 turnovers? Scoring under 20 points each game? :huh:

at 8-5:

at Philly: D allowed 38 pts

vs. NYG: leading late in 1st half, 3rd and 10 from the NYG 1.  if we stop them we get the ball back in FG range to extend our lead.  NYG throws 99 yard TD and it changed that game and the seasons for both franchises.  That play doesn't happen NYG doesn't go on to win the SB.

at Mia: game turned out to be meaningless but we had a lead late 3rd and our D allowed a 21 play drive that ate up almost 13 mins off the clock and allowed the go ahead TD.

The O wasn't very good either but the D really blew it.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:28 PM, Scoop24 said:

Once Shonn Greene went down so did the entire offense.. and Sanchez was needed the most and did nothing.. Outside of the 2nd qtr of that game he was trash. 2 premier pass rushers yet the Colts didn't sack Sanchez once in that game .. yall can make all the excuses you want . 

But Sanchez was never good . The guy wasn't even good enough to throw a Reciever over a 1,000 yards in a season .. 

yeah a rookie QB on the road against those pass rushers w/ no threat of a run game- what could possibly go wrong?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

yeah a rookie QB on the road against those pass rushers w/ no threat of a run game- what could possibly go wrong?

Your still making excuses .. bro he sucks he never went on to get better he left the jets and has been a backup every where else . His own peers didn't think he was good see comments from  Steve Smith and  meltdown by santonio Holmes , and Braylon saying a rookie Geno gonna beat him out .. 

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Your still making excuses .. bro he sucks he never went on to get better he left the jets and has been a backup every where else . His own peers didn't think he was good see comments from  Steve Smith and  meltdown by santonio Holmes , and Braylon saying a rookie Geno gonna beat him out .. 

ok, he was awful.  we miraculously made 2 title games when we couldn't even get to the playoffs w/ Brett Favre and a weaker sched w/ no Brady around.

Jet fans just amaze me.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

ok, he was awful.  we miraculously made 2 title games when we couldn't even get to the playoffs w/ Brett Favre and a weaker sched w/ no Brady around.

Jet fans just amaze me.

No matter how many times you want to ignore the fact that Brett Favre tore a muscle in his throwing arm that season doesn't change the fact that Brett Favre tore a muscle in his throwing arm that season.

Archived