Is Mehta Report a Sign of Cracking at Florham Park?

JetNation

IMG_1460.jpg

The New York Jets are about to embark on what many believe will be one of the worst seasons in the history of the embattled franchise.

With no proven play makers on offense, the team’s inability to move the ball in just two pre-season games already has alarm bells ringing.  Many experts have labelled this team as the worst in the NFL.  Predictions of a season that will consist of anywhere from zero to three wins is not uncommon.  There is an undeniable lack of proven talent at several positions, and now it’s entirely possible that the finger-pointing has already begun.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported earlier today that a source revealed that Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan refused to pull the trigger on a possible draft day deal that would  have allowed the team to choose highly touted running back Alvin Kamara in the second round of this year’s draft.

IMG_5325-300x284.jpg

Mike Maccagnan reportedly balked at a draft day deal that would have meant giving up a second round pick in next year’s draft.

Any talk of Maccangan ignoring the offensive side of the ball is largely coming from fans who don’t realize that teams have more than one pick during the draft.  The Jets did choose two wide receivers, a tight end and a running back in Elijah McGuire who is a threat as both a runner and receiver out of the backfield.  That’s four new targets for Jets quarterbacks to throw to.

Talk of whether or not Maccagan could have had a more highly touted running back is a moot point at the moment, but that doesn’t mean Mehta’s report isn’t important.

If the story is in fact true, this means that somebody inside of the Jets facility a 1 Jets drive felt the need to attempt to make Maccagnan look bad while Kamara has played well in the early going of the pre-season.

With a re-building year under way, the Jets could do without any outside distractions or a front office in turmoil if disparaging stories about the GM (or head coach) are going to be leaked to local scribes.

Maccagnan and Bowles were brought in to replace failed GM John Idzik and former head coach Rex Ryan, a duo that was credited with creating a dysfunctional, chaotic environment.  In regards to this most recent report by Mehta, Jets fans had better hope it’s more smoke than fire, because the last thing this team needs is for the circus to come back to town.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
l1Tx_I3W5Rc

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I don't follow the draft as much as I used to but I've never heard of this guy before this thread.  Why would anyone want to pay a 2018 second round pick to draft him?

It's to steep a price for a RB, BUT Kamara was touted as a top play making RB like MacCafferey, and some draft guys had him 3rd ranked RB because of the off field issues of the talent of RB's 3, and 4 from this years draft.  But again for a RB a 2nd next year is to steep, when they could have kept shopping in the 3rd with Cleveland for their 3.6, and conditional 3rd rounder this past draft which probably would have got it done IMO.

1 minute ago, Jet Blast said:

This story is 4 months late...   water under the bridge.

AUGUST 22,2017

Report: Failure to trade up for Alvin Kamara rankles some with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on August 22, 2017, 12:31 PM EDT
836029912-e1503419441874.jpg?w=519&h=316
Getty Images

Saints rookie running back Alvin Kamara has gotten off to a good start in the preseason with nine carries for 96 yards and one catch for 22 yards in his first two games.

That’s surely pleased his new team after they dealt a 2018 second-round pick to the 49ers in order to select Kamara in the third round of this year’s draft, but it has also reportedly left a sour puss on some faces around the Jets.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that there were some in the organization who wanted General Manager Mike Maccagnan to make “an aggressive play” for Kamara before the deal that landed him in New Orleans. Those people are reportedly “still miffed” that the Jets didn’t make a move to add a playmaker to an offense devoid of them.

The fact that the Jets don’t have those kinds of players on offense this season is one quick reason why Maccagnan didn’t trade future assets for Kamara this year. Good as he might be, a rookie running back on this Jets offense isn’t likely to move the needle enough for the team to avoid having a very high pick in the second round next season — assuming the trade package would have been the same — that can be put toward a rebuilding process that’s got miles to go before anyone sleeps.

There’s no certainty that such a process is going to bear fruit, but if the Jets are committed to a course of action they have to remain committed to it even if someone they like comes along in the third round of the draft. That may not make it any easier to watch Kamara thrive in New Orleans, but it does a lot to explain why Maccagnan went the other way.

There may very well be dissension in the Jets FO/CS but,  Being from Mehta the story has a higher chance of being untrue then if it were from someone else.  So there's that

I'm sure at every pick there are various opinions of who should be picked.  In a functional organization  the GM makes the final call.

The fact that Bowles didn't know that Harris and Decker  were going to be cut, is most peculiar.  This seems like Rex and Idzik revised.   

14 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I don't follow the draft as much as I used to but I've never heard of this guy before this thread.  Why would anyone want to pay a 2018 second round pick to draft him?

The "second round pick" is misleading. Saints gave up 2nd round pick not to move up, but just a straight up trade of 2nd next year for 3rd this year. Jets were drafting 3 spots later. The cost to move up 3 spots at that point was a 6th rounder. Hardly anything for a chance to draft a potentially dynamic playmaker. But I wont dump on Mac for it though. He actually moved back and picked up another decent pick in the process. Time will tell I guess. If Kamara comes as advertised, Mac definitely deserves the blame. Sounds like the Brady/Wilson type mistake, just not on the same scale. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

The "second round pick" is misleading. Saints gave up 2nd round pick not to move up, but just a straight up trade of 2nd next year for 3rd this year. Jets were drafting 3 spots later. The cost to move up 3 spots at that point was a 6th rounder. Hardly anything for a chance to draft a potentially dynamic playmaker. But I wont dump on Mac for it though. He actually moved back and picked up another decent pick in the process. Time will tell I guess. If Kamara comes as advertised, Mac definitely deserves the blame. Sounds like the Brady/Wilson type mistake, just not on the same scale. 

Executive of the year! 

39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It's to steep a price for a RB, BUT Kamara was touted as a top play making RB like MacCafferey, and some draft guys had him 3rd ranked RB because of the off field issues of the talent of RB's 3, and 4 from this years draft.  But again for a RB a 2nd next year is to steep, when they could have kept shopping in the 3rd with Cleveland for their 3.6, and conditional 3rd rounder this past draft which probably would have got it done IMO.

It's not the he's a RB but the guy never produced...off-field issues, health issues, we pay the extra deuce to acquire him?  Makes zero sense.  I'm guessing Mehta made this sh*t up after seeing him score a 50-yard TD during pre-season.  More grounds to fire Macc if he made this move.

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If they are leaking can he find out what the Jets original draft plan was at 6 considering they thought there was no chance Adams would be there, I really want to know who they pick IF Tennessee took Adams?

This is the better intel into the Jets War Room.

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

AUGUST 22,2017

Report: Failure to trade up for Alvin Kamara rankles some with Jets

Posted by Josh Alper on August 22, 2017, 12:31 PM EDT
836029912-e1503419441874.jpg?w=519&h=316
Getty Images

Saints rookie running back Alvin Kamara has gotten off to a good start in the preseason with nine carries for 96 yards and one catch for 22 yards in his first two games.

That’s surely pleased his new team after they dealt a 2018 second-round pick to the 49ers in order to select Kamara in the third round of this year’s draft, but it has also reportedly left a sour puss on some faces around the Jets.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that there were some in the organization who wanted General Manager Mike Maccagnan to make “an aggressive play” for Kamara before the deal that landed him in New Orleans. Those people are reportedly “still miffed” that the Jets didn’t make a move to add a playmaker to an offense devoid of them.

The fact that the Jets don’t have those kinds of players on offense this season is one quick reason why Maccagnan didn’t trade future assets for Kamara this year. Good as he might be, a rookie running back on this Jets offense isn’t likely to move the needle enough for the team to avoid having a very high pick in the second round next season — assuming the trade package would have been the same — that can be put toward a rebuilding process that’s got miles to go before anyone sleeps.

There’s no certainty that such a process is going to bear fruit, but if the Jets are committed to a course of action they have to remain committed to it even if someone they like comes along in the third round of the draft. That may not make it any easier to watch Kamara thrive in New Orleans, but it does a lot to explain why Maccagnan went the other way.

It was a "recent" story about something that occured (or more accurately, did NOT occur) during the draft. By my calculation, that's about 4 months old.

3 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

again we jump to the bait of M.M. and his unnamed sources.  When do we ever learn.

talk about the definition of insanity. 

Exactly. Kid had a long run in a preseason game and suddenly out comes this story. Where was this since the draft?

35 minutes ago, j4jets said:

More likely a crap shoot.  Disagree on the blame.  We are not a playmaking RB away from contention.  When you suck, and the Jets will this year, the smart money is to build depth.  This guy gave him a fourth round grade.  I know all team grade differently but there is no smoke here.  If anything a minor disagreement.

Alvin Kamara   RB   Tennessee

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Alvin is a solid third down running back with good hands out of the back field to catch the ball. In open space Alvin has the speed to gain yardage. He shows on film good effort when blocking and picking up blitzing linebackers and does a good job on chip blocks. Alvin could be a good running back in a zone blocking scheme when asked to run between the tackles. Right now with what I see on film Alvin is a situational running back with special team return skills that if given good blocking in front of him can impact. 

CONCERNS
Alvin is not the type of running back who can carry your teams running game. His blocking is marginal and he will have to become more aggressive when blocking to protect the quarterback. He is not strong enough to break tackles and does not show the lateral agility and explosiveness that he will need and the next level to be a full time running back. He does have good speed and shows good hands to catch the ball and in open space he can gain some big yardage because of his speed. 

BOTTOM LINE
Alvin has to learn better patience when running behind his blockers. He has to learn to set up blocks better and he has to become a much better blocker when protecting his quarterback. He does have some talent as a slot receiver because he does show good hands but as a running back, if he doesn’t learn to play with more aggressiveness when blocking and more patience when running he will be swallowed up in the sea of average running backs who came out in the draft with high expectations that never seem to reach them.

Drew Boylhart  FEB.2017

45 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

When did JN get so tabloid-y? 

Teams on the verge of seasons like this will often start pointing fingers to save their own skin.  Story is believable and relevant to the team's future IMO.

kamarra who?  this is just little pathetic maneesh trying to stir up trouble for the jets so he can pump up his puny pathetic reputation.  so how did the talk about kamarra really go?

the jet coaches were sitting around having a snack and talking about the pre season.  one of them brought up the td run by kamarra and another commented that mac considered trading up to get him.  maneesh hears it as the jets were so desperate to land kamarra they considered trading a 2nd round pick for the privilege.  yeah right.  i've got a bridge to sell maneesh too. the moron doesn't realize a preseason td is meaningless.

This is BS, why would anyone give up two second round picks for a 3rd round RB?  no one is complaining about this, MM would be fired if his boss was not asleep at the job or busy watching vagiants games

The clowns working in NY sport media are the worst ever (good reporters in NY are focused on $ not entertainment especially bad entertainment = 2017 Jets)  this is the result, no surprise

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

kamarra who?  this is just little pathetic maneesh trying to stir up trouble for the jets so he can pump up his puny pathetic reputation.  so how did the talk about kamarra really go?

the jet coaches were sitting around having a snack and talking about the pre season.  one of them brought up the td run by kamarra and another commented that mac considered trading up to get him.  maneesh hears it as the jets were so desperate to land kamarra they considered trading a 2nd round pick for the privilege.  yeah right.  i've got a bridge to sell maneesh too. the moron doesn't realize a preseason td is meaningless.

Exactly it is not as a if the Jets had a chance to draft Jim Brown and whiffed on him.

Come on folks.....

Mehta is a sh*t stirring weasel and can not be trusted. He has a clear anti-jet agenda.  Everything he proposes is a horrible long term decision for the franchise aimed at keeping us 8-8 and chasing the immediate gratification.  Everything he reports is him trying to create a problem or actively work against the interests of the team.  My guess is that he will be lobbying the Jets to sign Richardson to a long term deal soon, if he hasn't done this already.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

If they are leaking can he find out what the Jets original draft plan was at 6 considering they thought there was no chance Adams would be there, I really want to know who they pick IF Tennessee took Adams?

Malik Hooker of course.  

Archived