Is Mehta Report a Sign of Cracking at Florham Park?

JetNation

2 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

It's not the he's a RB but the guy never produced...off-field issues, health issues, we pay the extra deuce to acquire him?  Makes zero sense.  I'm guessing Mehta made this sh*t up after seeing him score a 50-yard TD during pre-season.  More grounds to fire Macc if he made this move.

It's more criminal that we passed on Dalvin Cook than it is was not to trade up for Kamara. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Larz said:

Good

Beat the Bill's to the bottom baby!!!!

we are not beating the bills to the bottom.

Mac was building the roster pre-quasi-tank, before it became the real tank.  

He was not trading real resources in a deep draft for Kamara in a year when the Jets were not going to be great.

As a result of his win now strategy, the Jets own Forte and Powell. They were not trading up for Kamara-that is ridiculous.

The Jets are not drafting Mixon.  The Jets are not drafting Cook.  

The Jet should put Forte on the IR.  Let him come back to help the young  QBs.  McCown can play with others.

4 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

I don't follow the draft as much as I used to but I've never heard of this guy before this thread.  Why would anyone want to pay a 2018 second round pick to draft him?

Mehta is lost.  Cook, Kizer and Tim Williams are the good players we passed on for a Safety

Lol jets could drafted some really nice backs in Mixon and Cook I would be more upset at passing on these guys .. I'm not really gonna lose sleep over Kamara . 

That being said I been saying Jets need a New Talented RB past 2 years ..Forte signing never made sense I hated it from day 1. Just like Ridley..

If he's so good and they gave up a 2nd for him, then why only 9 carries and 1 catch in 2 games?

I'll tell you why. He cannot pass protect and QBs are important. Just what we need here. A RB that can't pick up a blitz. 

Fire everyone and make this "Unknown Sauce" the new GM, or make MAnish (Girlish?) the GM and this guy the HC. 

10 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

More likely a crap shoot.  Disagree on the blame.  We are not a playmaking RB away from contention.  When you suck, and the Jets will this year, the smart money is to build depth.  This guy gave him a fourth round grade.  I know all team grade differently but there is no smoke here.  If anything a minor disagreement.

You might be right, but so far Alvin has done everything right. We'll see. But the notion that we shouldn't draft a potentially dynamic player in the 3rd round is flawed. We definitely need one for this offense. And yes, we aren't one player away, which makes me question why we picked a safety at 6. 

And when our 2nd round pick (that we would have given up last year for a 3rd / 4th round running back) turns out to be the 33rd pick in the draft, people would be baying for blood about trading away valuable draft capital.

Even the way this article is worded - "The Jets wanted to, but Macc said no" - isn't Macc employed by the Jets? Isn't he one of the most important "head Jets"? But i guess if it said that one or two coaches wanted him, it wouldn't have the same divisive impact. GMs aren't paid to get the coaches the guys they all want, they're paid to get guys the franchise needs. Saying no is an important part of the job. Tanny and Idzik both got ripped for letting Rex have too much say, now Macc is getting ripped for the opposite?? :rolleyes:

The Jets were not and are not in position to give up draft picks to move up in the draft.  Kamara may

turn out to be a good player but this team needs to accumulate assets and find as many players as they

can.  Unless a franchise QB is on the board Maccagnan has no reason to trade up right now

11 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

You've been on the bandwagon for 3 years.  Would be awesome if it panned out. 

Longer than that. I first followed him watching him play at Maryland. Live close go to few home games every year. Always knew he had it. Hopefully he has his body ready to prove it.

We all know that Mehata is a troll and a duffus however the Jets current org structure is so awful that sooner or later it will implode badly.

Owner now ambassador handing it over to a newbie brother,  Absolutely no older vet experienced football man in the top end of the org to tell the owner if he is being bullsh*tted by the gm or coach.  GM and coach on 100% even footing in the org structure (a recipe for disaster).

This team will have a hard time sorting this all out until they fix this.  All the past it our out of football coaches people dreg up to be the coach of this team?  (Cowher,  Gruden etc) Forget that, get that person to be the VP in charge of football ops, a lower pressure, less hours cushy job but still very important.

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol jets could drafted some really nice backs in Mixon and Cook I would ups be more upset at passing on these guys .. I'm mot really gonna lose sleep over Kamara . 

That being said I been saying Jets need a New Talented RB past 2 years ..Forte signing never made sense I hated it from day 1. Just like Ridley..

It might have made sense if the Jets used him where he excels - the short passing game. Not sure what Chan's gameplan was but he certainly didn't try to get Forte the ball via pass , which was pretty short sighted.

In fairness, a team tanking the season - with the hopes of landing the #1 overall pick in 2018 - doesn't just give up (what they hope will be) the #33 pick in the country for a 3rd rounder this year.

If they wanted Kamara that badly, then the trade up to do was from #70 to #67, not next year's pick #33-37 overall.

• It could be Maccagnan was hoping Kamara would drop to him at #70 and, since he didn't, Macc then traded down from #70 to 79 to pick up a mid-5th rounder.
  • Or maybe he was hoping Kamara would drop to him at #70 not to take him, but rather so he could make that same trade-down SF did for an extra 2nd rounder next year.

Regardless, it's not nearly the same trade-up for the Saints, who - despite coming off another 7-9 season, and however things will go for them in hindsight - right now consider themselves SB contenders who will be looking at a far lower pick between #50-60. To quantify in numbers, the guess is their trade-up cost is a high 4th round pick (or a late compensatory 3rd round pick); for us, such a trade up would cost closer to another 2nd round pick.

I still think Maccagnan is awful, and should absolutely be fired before he can dish out another $200m in terrible contracts next year, but if that was the offer he was right to do it given the team's 2017 plans.

The "sounds like trouble in paradise" theme of the thread, though, is another matter. Things like this don't leak out if they're all on the same page behind closed doors.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The "sounds like trouble in paradise" theme of the thread, though, is another matter. Things like this don't leak out if they're all on the same page behind closed doors.

Well considering we have a lame duck coach and a very vocal self-serving DT who both have goals that are directly opposed to the long term interests of the Jets...we should expect a lot more leaks, snipes and gripes in the media.  Macc imo is probably going to get a chance in 2018 to run this team his way.  If that's the case I really hope he gets to hire his own coach that reports to him and Woody falls in love with life overseas or just falls off the Beachy Head cliffs. 

Macc, Sean Payton and Sam Darnold in 18.  That's the dream for me.  Pipe or otherwise. 

22 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Well considering we have a lame duck coach and a very vocal self-serving DT who both have goals that are directly opposed to the long term interests of the Jets...we should expect a lot more leaks, snipes and gripes in the media.  Macc imo is probably going to get a chance in 2018 to run this team his way.  If that's the case I really hope he gets to hire his own coach that reports to him and Woody falls in love with life overseas or just falls off the Beachy Head cliffs. 

Macc, Sean Payton and Sam Darnold in 18.  That's the dream for me.  Pipe or otherwise. 

I don't see why Maccagnan is part of anybody's dream. He's a failure who has easily shown he's not up to the task. Keeping him longer and letting him hire his own head coach doesn't merely allow him to burn through another $200m in veteran contracts that we'll regret a season later (at the latest). It's that it also buys him another 2-3 years he hasn't come close to earning, because of course we can't just fire his handpicked HC only 1-2 years after firing Bowles, and of course we can't fire Macc while keeping Macc's HC (and have keeping Macc's HC as a line in the sand requirement before setting up new GM interviews). 

It's best to do a full, clean slate. Dump them all or keep both of them for 1 more year. Under no circumstances does Maccagnan get to pick his own HC until such time as he's assembled a great roster and it's obvious that the only thing holding this team back is the coaching. We're nowhere near that.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't see why Maccagnan is part of anybody's dream. He's a failure who has easily shown he's not up to the task. Keeping him longer and letting him hire his own head coach doesn't merely allow him to burn through another $200m in veteran contracts that we'll regret a season later (at the latest). It's that it also buys him another 2-3 years he hasn't come close to earning, because of course we can't just fire his handpicked HC only 1-2 years after firing Bowles, and of course we can't fire Macc while keeping Macc's HC (and have keeping Macc's HC as a line in the sand requirement before setting up interviews). 

It's best to do a full, clean slate. Dump them all or keep both of them for 1 more year. Under no circumstances does Maccagnan get to pick his own HC until such time as he's assembled a great roster and it's obvious that the only thing holding this team back is the coaching. We're nowhere near that.

People keep saying he's a failure, but they can't justify it beyond not liking his picks. Crying about missing on Devin Smith and Mauldin is just absurd.  Both were completely justifiable picks at the time and worth the risk. Hack in the 2nd was also easily justified. Just because Mehta and Cimini claim to have heard from a guy that another team had a 4th round grade on him doesn't make it so. Petty? He's a 4th round QB we took a flier on as a backup.  Now he's a backup.  So what's the problem? In 2016 he got us Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Shell....all of which look to contribute significantly this year.  Most people just want to bury him if they didn't like the Hack pick.  Or if they wanted someone else besides Lee or Jamal Adams.  But that's not enough to say he's doing a bad job. Now I'm not a pro Macc guy either, and I can fault him for mishandling the Sheldon trade opportunities and holding too firm on a seriously flawed player.  But a lot of this is growing pains and learning on the job.  He is doing the right things for the bigger picture and with less Woody influence he seems to be making the right moves philosophically.  He spent a ton of money in year 1 on declining vets, yes, but he also did it in a way that left no dead money now.  We chased a perceived opportunity last season stemming from 2016 success despite many saying it was a waste and 2016 was a mirage from schedule and opponents being injured at the right time for us. Some want to put all the blame on him for that wild goose chase last year, despite it having the stench of Woody's meddling all over it. Macc seems about league average for GMs.  I'm all for upgrading it, but only if it means progress.  And constantly changing people and not correcting the flawed structure is just more of the same failures over and over again.

2 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

People keep saying he's a failure, but they can't justify it beyond not liking his picks. Crying about missing on Devin Smith and Mauldin is just absurd.  Both were completely justifiable picks at the time and worth the risk. Hack in the 2nd was also easily justified. Just because Mehta and Cimini claim to have heard from a guy that another team had a 4th round grade on him doesn't make it so. Petty? He's a 4th round QB we took a flier on as a backup.  Now he's a backup.  So what's the problem? In 2016 he got us Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Shell....all of which look to contribute significantly this year.  Most people just want to bury him if they didn't like the Hack pick.  Or if they wanted someone else besides Lee or Jamal Adams.  But that's not enough to say he's doing a bad job. Now I'm not a pro Macc guy either, and I can fault him for mishandling the Sheldon trade opportunities and holding too firm on a seriously flawed player.  But a lot of this is growing pains and learning on the job.  He is doing the right things for the bigger picture and with less Woody influence he seems to be making the right moves philosophically.  He spent a ton of money in year 1 on declining vets, yes, but he also did it in a way that left no dead money now.  We chased a perceived opportunity last season stemming from 2016 success despite many saying it was a waste and 2016 was a mirage from schedule and opponents being injured at the right time for us. Some want to put all the blame on him for that wild goose chase last year, despite it having the stench of Woody's meddling all over it. Macc seems about league average for GMs.  I'm all for upgrading it, but only if it means progress.  And constantly changing people and not correcting the flawed structure is just more of the same failures over and over again.

The object of the game is for your draft picks to be good.  If you are giving mac a pass for all of his 'justifiable' failures then idzik get s a free pass as well.

The story isn't about Kamara, it's about someone in the organization being chapped because Maccagnan left the offense threadbare. Imagine being John Morton, leaving the Saints to take this job, then watching the GM cut Marshall, then Mangold, then Decker, then draft two safeties, then hand you Kelvin Beachum and Josh McCown, then the finally indignity of having to play Hackenberg despite the fact that Hackenberg is completing 50 percent of his passes in practice. You'd grumble, too.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The story isn't about Kamara, it's about someone in the organization being chapped because Maccagnan left the offense threadbare. Imagine being John Morton, leaving the Saints to take this job, then watching the GM cut Marshall, then Mangold, then Decker, then draft two safeties, then hand you Kelvin Beachum and Josh McCown, then the finally indignity of having to play Hackenberg despite the fact that Hackenberg is completing 50 percent of his passes in practice. You'd grumble, too.

ding ding ding

30 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Can't rate him on the draft.  Can't rate him on free agency.  Can't rate him on talent.  Rate him on whether his picks were justifiable? 

1. Hackenberg was in no way justifiable in the 2nd.  The fact that it is obvious he has no business taking a snap in his second season emphasizes that.

2. No dead money now?  What the **** are you talking about? They have more than $13M in dead money and the guy has only been here 2 seasons.  Worse, I am sure they would love to dump Skrine and Forte, but that would be another $11M in dead money!

3.  Contributing significantly during a tank job is not impressive.  I have some hope for Shell, but Burris has looked bad to me.  Lee is a serious athlete, so at least I have some hope for him.  For all the whining about Revis last year, to me Claiborne looks more scared to tackle. 

I find it disingenuous to complain about us blowing up Maccagnan for drafting like sh*t, while putting the blame on Woody.  That is pure conjecture.  The sh*tty drafting and FA is not, whether you buy the justification is not particularly relevant.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

C'mon dude.  What is there to complain about?  They are having Will Beatty in.

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Well let's see...

• His draft picks are certainly nothing to brag about
  • He has no sense of which positions are more important than others
  • He has no feel for putting matching pieces together on a roster
  • His free agent pickups are the punchlines of jokes
  • His biggest move in 3 drafts was moving down 9 places in the 3rd round one time
  • He cannot complete a trade beyond the above, unless someone is dumping their unwanted player (i.e. B.Marshall)
  • He routinely gets his ass handed to him in negotiations with players he wants to retain

...and those are his good points lol.

Your assessment of all his failed FA pickups having no lingering effects, or carrying with them some modicum of wisdom,  is demonstrably false. You'd think from comments like this that every other GM in the NFL signs every FA to 4+ guaranteed seasons the way you credit him for nothing. Not to mention, he's not even the one who structures these contracts, because he's incapable of doing that either, not that you seem to be aware of any of these obvious realities.

I think to most, his calm demeanor just gives off the appearance of competence. The problem is that his body of work suggests he's a freaking boob who was way overpromoted, after a recommendation by his former boss/acquaintence whom Woody hired as a consultant.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly.  If the story is legit, what matters is that somebody inside the building is leaking info about fractures among the CS and FO.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well let's see...

• His draft picks are certainly nothing to brag about
  • He has no sense of which positions are more important than others
  • He has no feel for putting matching pieces together on a roster
  • His free agent pickups are the punchlines of jokes
  • His biggest move in 3 drafts was moving down 9 places in the 3rd round one time
  • He cannot complete a trade beyond the above, unless someone is dumping their unwanted player (i.e. B.Marshall)
  • He routinely gets his ass handed to him in negotiations with players he wants to retain

...and those are his good points lol.

Your assessment of all his failed FA pickups having no lingering effects, or carrying with them some modicum of wisdom,  is demonstrably false. You'd think from comments like this that every other GM in the NFL signs every FA to 4+ guaranteed seasons the way you credit him for nothing. Not to mention, he's not even the one who structures these contracts, because he's incapable of doing that either, not that you seem to be aware of any of these obvious realities.

I think to most, his calm demeanor just gives off the appearance of competence. The problem is that his body of work suggests he's a freaking boob who was way overpromoted, after a recommendation by his former boss/acquaintence whom Woody hired as a consultant.

Mac would have been fired already had Brandon Marshall not landed in his lap because Chicago wanted to get rid of him.  Marshall is the reason we went 10-6 in 2015

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  If the story is legit, what matters is that somebody inside the building is leaking info about fractures among the CS and FO.

This is arguably the worst run organization in all of sports right now.  The Browns are well-run compared to this horror show

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can't rate him on the draft.  Can't rate him on free agency.  Can't rate him on talent.  Rate him on whether his picks were justifiable? 

1. Hackenberg was in no way justifiable in the 2nd.  The fact that it is obvious he has no business taking a snap in his second season emphasizes that.

2. No dead money now?  What the **** are you talking about? They have more than $13M in dead money and the guy has only been here 2 seasons.  Worse, I am sure they would love to dump Skrine and Forte, but that would be another $11M in dead money!

3.  Contributing significantly during a tank job is not impressive.  I have some hope for Shell, but Burris has looked bad to me.  Lee is a serious athlete, so at least I have some hope for him.  For all the whining about Revis last year, to me Claiborne looks more scared to tackle. 

I find it disingenuous to complain about us blowing up Maccagnan for drafting like sh*t, while putting the blame on Woody.  That is pure conjecture.  The sh*tty drafting and FA is not, whether you buy the justification is not particularly relevant.

LOL. I love it.  Hack was totally justifiable. You didn't like the pick so you choose to believe otherwise. That's fine. But his pre draft grades and rankings were exactly in line with where he was taken.

Dead money that is gone after this year. So why the tears?  They made a push in 2015/2016 and they made the contracts easily manageable. You want to bitch about the 6M for Fitz....fine. But you really think Macc wanted to pay him that? He left that JAG loser out in FA for literally anyone to take and nobody did and then Bowles names him the starter and Woody decided we were a win now team. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15036068/owner-woody-johnson-ryan-fitzpatrick-come-back-new-york-jets

Any drafted players that contribute meaningful snaps in years 2 and 3 are plenty impressive.

To call his drafting sh*tty at this point is totally meaningless and that is the real conjecture.  You need to wait 3 years as a rule of thumb to assess any draft.  If Shell becomes our RT, Lee, Simon and Jenkins all become starters then where is the proof that the drafting is sh*tty?  Every team misses on picks in the draft.  We missed on Harrison and maybe Mauldin in his 1st draft.  Though Mauldin got off to a promising start..., so is there any of that blame for a total lack of development from the coaching staff? Injuries happen and Smith looks like he's done as a result. No negative grades should be assigned to either the player or GM for that.  As for his 2nd draft? Even if you want to say Hack is a bust before he ever really plays, our GM swung at QB and missed in the 2nd round which is a huge bust rate to begin with.  Better to take a swing there than not to. Who eelse do you want to cry about?  Burris a 4th rounder not being a bonafide stating quality NFL CB?  LOL.  He's a 4th rounder.  If he can give us good depth, that's a win. Peake may not be a great asset? No kidding....he's a high upside play. Had injury issues, but is raw and has elite potential.  Odds are he never amounts to anything at all....but it's still a good risk to take in the 7th round.  Stop thinking that every pick has to be a homerun.  You just need to hit on the draft more than you miss over time to be able to build a good team through the draft.  So far, he's doing a decent job.  C+ in my book. 

I'm really not looking to defend MAcc, but the position people here have taken is just absurd.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Morton should have asked for a proper job description. Like, the first bullet after the opening sentence "Coordinates offense so head coach doesn't have to know or do anything related to it." is going to be "scapegoat". Obvi.

Archived