Desshaun Kizer gets starting job for Browns more affirmation medias plan to start Mccown makes no sense

Jetsbb

13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=73&v=sZ5Zv0puimw

Deshaun Kizer picked number 52 in this years draft will start from week one yet the NY media is trying to sell Hackenberg picked number 51 in last years draft cant possibly be ready to play. Hopefully with the news that Hack and Bryce are getting most of the reps this week Bowles and Mac realize its beyond pointless to start Mcown and are going to make the right decision. The media is all in on Mccown calling him the presumptive starter and all this BS. You think Kizer is the best option for the Brown right now and wont make mistakes? You put out the high draft pick and let him sink or swim. Again Derek Carr is the best recent example went 3-13 as a rookie starter and had a 76 QB rating. The Mcown crowd makes so little sense yet is embraced by the media narrative.

Jesus Christ Almighty your at it again!! Compare Hack and Kizers performance so far in the pre-season. Kizer is 19-31 for 258 and a touchdown. He also has rushed for 47 yards and a touchdown. He was also named to start A PRE SEASON GAME which the Jets let Hack do last week with terrible results. They have not named Kizer the starter yet for the season and Hack's stats are so dismal they don't even need to be shown. If you just go by stats your argument holds no water. If you go by game film your argument holds no water. Hack was so friggin bad they were calling draw plays on 3rd and long. Hack is LIGHT YEARS behind Petty. Petty should play over him. I don't give a sh*t about McCown who with his injury history will be on IR within the first few weeks. No way McCown pulls a sh*tzpatrick and has a career year because there is no talent on the O for him to do that. Stop posting half truths and running with them. Unbelievable.

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

So let's see, Trubisky pushing for QB 1, Kizer currently QB 1, Mahomes looks the best of all of them, and just being held back because A Smith is having the best Camp/Preseason of his career, Watson still a long shot for QB 1, Peterman will be Bills QB by week 6 the latest IMO, BUT this past QB class was SOOOOOOOOOOOO Weak, let's pass on one, and pray we have one fall to us next year while we purposely tank.  SMDH!

1) Trubisky has been most impressive but Mahomes showing he belongs and will undoubtedly be the guy in KC at some point soon.

2) Watson is far from a long shot. I think that comp is 60-40 in favor of Savage. With that said, I guarantee Watson wins that job at some point and finishes the season as the starter.

So btw Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer that's three 1st yr starters. Throw in Mahomes and Peterman who both look like future starters, that's 5 from this class. They won't all be stars but right now they all have a shot, which is more than the hopeless dread we have. I don't care how good the 18 class is, Macc made a big mistake by bypassing all of these qbs when we our roster clearly doesn't have anyone with long term potential. 

13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Deshaun Kizer picked number 52 in this years draft will start from week one yet the NY media is trying to sell Hackenberg picked number 51 in last years draft cant possibly be ready to play. Hopefully with the news that Hack and Bryce are getting most of the reps this week Bowles and Mac realize its beyond pointless to start Mcown and are going to make the right decision. The media is all in on Mccown calling him the presumptive starter and all this BS. You think Kizer is the best option for the Brown right now and wont make mistakes? You put out the high draft pick and let him sink or swim. Again Derek Carr is the best recent example went 3-13 as a rookie starter and had a 76 QB rating. The Mcown crowd makes so little sense yet is embraced by the media narrative.

Maybe Kizer has shown potential and Hackenberg hasn't?

Maybe we aren't protecting Hackenberg, maybe he just sucks?

Everyone wants to sell this big conspiracy, or claim that everyone on the Jets is incompetent, when the simplest solution, and one that we can actually verify by seeing it on the field and in practice, is that Hackenberg isn't good at football.  It's unfortunate that that is the case, but it just appears to be so.

17 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

1) Trubisky has been most impressive but Mahomes showing he belongs and will undoubtedly be the guy in KC at some point soon.

2) Watson is far from a long shot. I think that comp is 60-40 in favor of Savage. With that said, I guarantee Watson wins that job at some point and finishes the season as the starter.

So btw Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer that's three 1st yr starters. Throw in Mahomes and Peterman who both look like future starters, that's 5 from this class. They won't all be stars but right now they all have a shot, which is more than the hopeless dread we have. I don't care how good the 18 class is, Macc made a big mistake by bypassing all of these qbs when we our roster clearly doesn't have anyone with long term potential. 

I disagree Mahomes has been more impressive to me both from the eye test, and stats, Mahomes has played less then Mitch, and has lead 3 75 yard TD drives in 4 chances, but it's close, a lot closer then I thought it would be, Trubisky has really surprised me, while I expected this from Mahomes.

Name Comp. Att. Comp. % Yards TDs INTs Rating
Patrick Mahomes 17 23 73.9 137 3 0 128.1
Deshaun Watson 18 35 51.4 281 0 0 78.4
Mitchell Trubisky 24 33 72.7 226 2 0 111.4
DeShone Kizer 19 31 61.3

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Maybe Kizer has shown potential and Hackenberg hasn't?

Maybe we aren't protecting Hackenberg, maybe he just sucks?

Everyone wants to sell this big conspiracy, or claim that everyone on the Jets is incompetent, when the simplest solution, and one that we can actually verify by seeing it on the field and in practice, is that Hackenberg isn't good at football.  It's unfortunate that that is the case, but it just appears to be so.

Wouldn't selecting guys who aren't good at football over, and over make the Jets essentially incompetent?

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Wouldn't selecting guys who aren't good at football over, and over make the Jets essentially incompetent?

I think the guy making those selections isn't doing a good job, yes.

However, I do not think the entire coaching staff is seeing Hackenberg play each and every week and missing the fact that he could/should be starting.

That is my point.

Not that the Browns are any sort of model organization to be following but I think the biggest difference is that (and I'm speculating here) Hue Jackson and that F.O. know there in year 2 of what is at least of 3-5 year rebuild meaning they're not nearly as concerned about winning this year and are building towards the future.  The difference is the Jets F.O. and Coaching staff probably don't have that same hob security and while I'm sure they're jobs won't be based specifically on wins and losses there's no guarantees Bowles and even Macc will be here next year.  And whether that's right or wrong it creates inbalance in trying to rebuild for the long term vs. win now.

14 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

There's a "McCown crowd"? Otherwise all true.

Having seen many of Kizer's ND games, good luck with that. 

With all the cost-cutting, Why Maccagnan felt obliged to fund McCown's IRA in March when he could've signed him or someone like him the day after the draft for pennies is really inexplicable. And worse allowed the Jet's braintrust (which assumes they have brains, highly in doubt right now) to pretend they could PICK 2 SAFETIES and ignore the offense, be it QB, LT, RB, primo WR,  again. Their idea of improving the offense was overpaying a journeyman QB, and that's about it.

56 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think the guy making those selections isn't doing a good job, yes.

However, I do not think the entire coaching staff is seeing Hackenberg play each and every week and missing the fact that he could/should be starting.

That is my point.

The Jets picked a QB in the second round with tremendous raw skills but who required  2-3 years of development.   He is not ready to play now.  The Broncos did the same thing with Lynch.  Kizer is more ready now.  I don't think Watson is.  It just is what it is. It was an indefensible use of a second round pick, but we have to work with what we have.  When he was picked should not matter.  Honestly, Hack belongs on the practice squad. The Saints did that with Grayson.  I think it could actually work.  

28 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Not that the Browns are any sort of model organization to be following but I think the biggest difference is that (and I'm speculating here) Hue Jackson and that F.O. know there in year 2 of what is at least of 3-5 year rebuild meaning they're not nearly as concerned about winning this year and are building towards the future.  The difference is the Jets F.O. and Coaching staff probably don't have that same hob security and while I'm sure they're jobs won't be based specifically on wins and losses there's no guarantees Bowles and even Macc will be here next year.  And whether that's right or wrong it creates inbalance in trying to rebuild for the long term vs. win now.

After last year, I said MaccWoody needed to be fired or extended.  Either worked.  I wonder what Woody actually told him.  Likely a verbal understanding that Woody can Welch on. 

13 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

So when does the msg board narrative that the '17 qb class sucks officially change? 

It actually looks like it has potential to be one of the better qb classes in years. At least it's trending that way.

Glad we made the wise decison to pass on all those exciting young qbs. ;)

How do you come to that conclusion?  No one has played against a real defense and one that has gameplanned for them.  Mahomes is number 3 and the others are getting their first play with 1's, none have been named starters aywhere

Trubinski going so high, Mahomes going that high as a developmental project tells you how little there was to choose from.  Put these guys in next years draft and they sink like rocks

You guys can keep talking but you all sound like you've just starting watching football this year. Maybe it's a red shirt year for all of you armchair GMs. 

The past is littered with prospects that looked great in preseason that never amounted to anything. 

If studying the past has taught us anything it is that preseason means literally nothing. You cannot predict one thing. Not one thing from preseason stats. 

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You guys can keep talking but you all sound like you've just starting watching football this year. Maybe it's a red shirt year for all of you armchair GMs. 

The past is littered with prospects that looked great in preseason that never amounted to anything. 

If studying the past has taught us anything it is that preseason means literally nothing. You cannot predict one thing. Not one thing from preseason stats. 

That's funny the past season, and 2012 preseason prove that it does mean something as both Russell Wilson, and Dak Prescott earned their jobs because of what they accomplished those preseasons.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The Jets picked a QB in the second round with tremendous raw skills but who required  2-3 years of development.   He is not ready to play now.  The Broncos did the same thing with Lynch.  Kizer is more ready now.  I don't think Watson is.  It just is what it is. It was an indefensible use of a second round pick, but we have to work with what we have.  When he was picked should not matter.  Honestly, Hack belongs on the practice squad. The Saints did that with Grayson.  I think it could actually work.  

Not ready is quite likely just a substitute for "not good."

Also, Hackenberg does not have tremendous raw skills.  He has a good arm and prototypical size.  Accuracy is a skill, no?  Hackenberg is not all that different than Stephen Hill, in that his accuracy is similar to Hill's hands.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is a legitimate gripe with Mac.  I had no interest in any round 1 QB other then mahomes, but Peterman in the 4-5th round would have been an excellent way to bring in another young player at the position.  Plus, given what Morton wants to do with short passing, play action, etc it fit Peterman's skill set perfectly.

Hell how about a flier on Chad Kelly in the 7th round instead of trading out of that round. 

I still wish we would have drafted Mahomes. I said it in the draft threads somewhere. Just take the kid. Rocket arm, good mobility, appears ahead of our QB's from a mental standpoint... 

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

So someone can't learn/improve by observing, being in meetings watching film, practicing during the week? Ok. 

The reference is it's a breaking news alert that Trubisky is getting 1st team reps. Breaking news!

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏ @DWAZ73  

Hackenberg & Petty again getting bulk of reps. Meanwhile, McCown visibly going thru mental reps, going thru each play, taking "snaps"

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

That's funny the past season, and 2012 preseason prove that it does mean something as both Russell Wilson, and Dak Prescott earned their jobs because of what they accomplished those preseasons.

2 QBs prove what exactly? For every preseason wonder that pans out there are 50 that are fools gold. 

For every undefeated preseason team that makes the playoffs there is another that is under 500. 

Dak has proven nothing BTW. Do you remember RGIII or Kolb, or Foles, or Grbac, I could go on, and on. 

Please say that these QBs show promise, and do not say that they have proven anything, because it makes you sound naive. 

12 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

2 QBs prove what exactly? For every preseason wonder that pans out there are 50 that are fools gold. 

For every undefeated preseason team that makes the playoffs there is another that is under 500. 

Dak has proven nothing BTW. Do you remember RGIII or Kolb, or Foles, or Grbac, I could go on, and on. 

Please say that these QBs show promise, and do not say that they have proven anything, because it makes you sound naive. 

They have proven something, everyone said none of these guys would be ready to start in the NFL, and it looks like 1 definitely will start week 1, 1 more probably will, and the other 2 are capable, so yeah that proves that everyone was wrong about this QB draft class saying they all need to sit before they can start, when they won't.

14 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

They have proven something, everyone said none of these guys would be ready to start in the NFL, and it looks like 1 definitely will start week 1, 1 more probably will, and the other 2 are capable, so yeah that proves that everyone was wrong about this QB draft class saying they all need to sit before they can start, when they won't.

You keep digging that hole. Just because they plan on starting a QB is no where near proof that he is ready, and certanly if it proves anything it is that the standards that qualify as "proof" has taken a serious credibility loss.

Nowadays proof is whatever the general consensus says it is. Scientific method is crying out to be put out of it's misery. 

Archived