Training Camp Practice 8/24

C Mart

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏  @DWAZ73

Bowles says Leggett, Vander Laan won't play; Mauldin probably won't, either. Will see about Forte, Claiborne

Bowles says they'll talk tonight about QBs and discuss who's playing, etc

Bowles on if he'll still announce Week 1 QB on Monday: "It'll be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday." Ok, then. #Jets

this is killing the writers..LOL..Love it

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini  

Jets QB Josh McCown didn't get a single rep today in practice. The rep breakdown: Christian Hackenberg 18, Bryce Petty 14, McCown 0. Interesting. The Jets play the Giants on Saturday night.

Understanding that they have a new OC and QBC, it would appear to me that the team is suffering an offensive meltdown even bigger than we would have thought or expected.

Beachum and Johnson must not be working out.  Winters has cashed his check.  Forte is hurt,  The TEs are hurt.  Enunwa.  Hack has not developed.

My guess is that Woody and Co are reading all of the "why do we bother to play McCown" arguments and sending vibes to try out the younger players.

Not only is McCown not on the team next year, but he is not a cripple-his record over the past few years reflects being on some really bad teams.  It is theoretically possible that McCown can win a few more games than the Jets should.  We can have Fitz 2015 2.0, to a lesser extent (he ain't winning 10 games).  He played for a few minutes against Tenn and scored a touchdown.

Not only are those wins meaningless, they do not provide a realistic measure of the team.  Should the Jets pick lower in the 2018 draft because McCown won the Jets some games?

There is company on the Tank.  Pegula and Co in Buffalo are shedding players as fast as they can.  Jax will start Henne.  Hoyer is starting in SF.   The sharks are circling Darnold.  Is McCown supposed to beat Buff 2x and Jax and have us lose Darnold?

McCown is a $6mm asst coach and mentor.  Play the young qbs.  Something must be up-how can McCown play on Sat if he has not practiced?

Sure seems like the team just wanted McCown to learn the playbook and get to know a few players to start things off, and from there have very little concern about him.  Not like McCown is going to suddenly get better at football in this camp, and even if he does end up as opening day starter, you think the Jets are all that concerned that this may have a negative impact on their potential for early-season wins?

There is a lot of mind-numbingly stupid things the Jets have done in recent years, but I really could not give less of a sh*t about McCown's lack of reps.

1 hour ago, J-Diddy said:

Jets QB Josh McCown didn't get a single rep today in practice. The rep breakdown: Christian Hackenberg 18, Bryce Petty 14, McCown 0. Interesting. The Jets play the Giants on Saturday night.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

GOOD! Bowles knows what McCown is, Mac knows what McCown is. Give all the reps to the kids. See if one of them can step up, if not we lose - no different than if McCown was playing.

McCown was needed to help the TEAM go through the motions while the neophyte Qubs learned the playbook to BEGIN TC. It's been 3 weeks of non stop football and now #9 & #5 have caught up enough to NOW be on the same page as the rest of the team & run the offense. Thus, rendering Dolph Lundgren as the spirited teammate who no longer is needed as the caretaker until the OLine gets the young QBs injured 

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

It's going to be Hack or McCown.  Signs are pointing that they desperately want it to be Hack.  He just needs to give them something in the Giants game to justify it.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Whomever gets the start against the Giants defense will likely look bad. But I guess if you are trying to prepare these kids there is no other way than to throw them out there as much as possible. Personally, I don't care who starts Saturday, I just want Hack and Petty to both get a chance with the 1st team against the Giants 1st team. It's the only fair way to compare them. 

In week 1, Hack looked better than Petty when they both played backups. In week 2, Hack faced the Lions starters and was brutal and Petty looked good but that was against the scrubs. So while some wanted to praise Petty, it was not a fair competition. 

If i was coaching, I would start Hack again. Give him the 1st quarter to show something. If he is lights out (unlikely) keep him in, if he is bad/average, bring in Petty to see what he can do under similar circumstances. 

I think Hackberg has a higher ceiling than Petty. I also think Hacken needs more time, maybe even until next season before the light turns on. But he still needs his experience, mistakes, and limps this year.

Considering all of that, Petty should start thr first 4-8 games, giving him his real and final chance at showing whether he's just a backup of has starter material.

After that if Petty fails, it should be Hackenberg's chance the rest of the way. He can have next off season and training camp to compete with an incoming rookie of Hackenberg doesn't blow away the Jets brass this year.

McCown should be a player/coach, helping each of them prepare, gameplan, study film, etc. Making 6 million for that is pretty insane. But, hey the Jets decided to pay him for that so. McCown right now, based off of experience alone is ahead of both. But based on training camp it seems all 3 have played pretty evenly. Which is all you need to know about why McCown should not start a game this season.

29 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Have a feeling the power structure inside the Jets has changed resulting in the dramatic change in which QB is getting reps

This, and who knows maybe Mac called Bowles into his office and told him something along the lines of, " I need to get a good look at the 2 young guys at QB. I can't do that with you pushing for McCown. Bowles your job as HC is not in jeopardy this year (ah-hem...unless the team looks uninspired). I would like for you to reconsider giving McCown as many reps and concentrate on getting this team to buy into you and the other coaches. Give the QB's more opportunity to see if one of them will step up and be a leader of this team." 

28 minutes ago, legler82 said:

It's going to be Hack or McCown.  Signs are pointing that they desperately want it to be Hack.  He just needs to give them something in the Giants game to justify it.

Hack or Petty could get hospitalized from the Snoopy Bowl.  

Play McCown the whole game.

44 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Have a feeling the power structure inside the Jets has changed resulting in the dramatic change in which QB is getting reps

But TB has stated from the outset the reps would be about even. Isn't that where we're at? 

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This smacks of the coaches being TOLD to at least try and get a good look and lots of reps for the young guys.

Bowles has been clear from the get go that there will be a quarterback competition and that's what we're seeing. It's a win win.if one of these kids becomes our bona-fide starter, it's because they win games. But, one of them needs to earn it and going up against a stout giant defense will once and for all  tell us  who is ready  and who is not.  

Now  if one of them begins to lose games , then we'll have a top Draft pick in the QB room next year.

Embrace the rebuild. 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

But TB has stated from the outset the reps would be about even. Isn't that where we're at? 

Don't you think it would be pretty stupid evening out the reps in a QB competition after the competition has been decided? 

Actually I guess that kind of fits TB's M O

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Bowles has been clear from the get go that there will be a quarterback competition and that's what we're seeing. It's a win win.if one of these kids becomes our bona-fide starter, it's because they win games. But, one of them needs to earn it and going up against a stout giant defense will once and for all  tell us  who is ready  and who is not.  

Now  if one of them begins to lose games , then we'll have a top Draft pick in the QB room next year.

Embrace the rebuild. 

It's just unusual to see a competition whee for the 1st half of camp one guy gets all the reps and the 2nd half of camp he gets 0 reps

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Don't you think it would be pretty stupid evening out the reps in a QB competition after the competition has been decided? 

Not at all.  Playing Mccown with the 1s and giving him most of the first team reps is bowles' MO, that's what he did with fitz.  It's pretty interesting how quickly everything changed, and now the jets are the only team, perhaps in the history of the nfl, that won't announce starters for preseason games.  

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well it has ended up being just as I stated in a joke post about a week ago.  Bowles looked at his stat sheet with a week to go and went OMG!  The stats say McCown 977 reps, Hackenburg 502 and petty 12?  We have to get those numbers evened up! no more reps for msccown!

I want to ask a question of our fan base  . Did anything happen say over the last few weeks that might have cause the jets to re-examine their plans for the upcoming season ?  The Jets suddenly went from spreading reps between 3 QBs to giving them to 2 QBs .  All that needed to be done was give the reps that Petty were getting to McCown and vise-versa . 

Archived