Training Camp Practice 8/24

C Mart

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm not sure there is a "they" anymore.  I'm getting a feeling that Mac and Bowles aren't on the same page as to who they want.  If I had to guess I'm thinking Macc wants to see if Hack can play, Bowles wants to march McCown out there to try and win 6 games.

I don't see how or even why Bowles would want McCown to win him 5-6 games. That doesn't save his job. What would is if he and his coaching staff would fine able to turn either Hack or Petty into a bona fide starter.  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets are not the only team whose HC and GM report to the owner equally .  Are you going to chew on that bone all season ?

LOL

What are you talking about?  IMO the bone is gone.  It seems that Bowles status  might have changed.  Your second point about trying to out do the Bills still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMO Bowles has one foot on the platform, and one on the train.  Something has clearly changed  in the QB non-competition.

To compare Bowles, and his standing as a HC, to Highly sought after HC's who were in a position to demand autonomy from powerful reputations, or Super Bowl wins is laughable.   

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don't see how or even why Bowles would want McCown to win him 5-6 games. That doesn't save his job. What would is if he and his coaching staff would fine able to turn either Hack or Petty into a bona fide starter.  

I agree.............But

If that were the plan, why would ONLY McCown get reps in practice with the one's until last week?   Now he gets NONE.  Has it suddenly dawned on Bowles that if Hack or Petty, who was only getting reps with the scout team, developed into a good QB, it would be good for him.

I'll admit I'm confused with what is going on.   I can't remember a QB competition going as weird as this one   Seemingly  neither have most of the scribes. 

Yes the best thing for every one would be for Hack/Petty to become a star.  Until very recently neither had any reps with the ones.  Now at the time when positions are usually sealed, they completely reverse course.  Most peculiar 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

IMO that is the way it should have gone from the beginning.  

What has happened is Mccown,  for the greater part of camp,  was the only one getting ANY REPS with the 1's, then out of the blue, he gets 0.   Have never seen that before.  

Only conclusions I can draw is that something has changed behind the scenes that we have no knowledge of, or Bowles doesn't have a clue what he's doing............Or both

The change started after the Detroit game when McCown told press that he was told not to talk to them.

4 hours ago, slats said:

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

[-o<

Please let this be TRUE!!!  Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, slats said:

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

OK

This is as good a theory as I've heard.  It's just my opinion but, I have a hard time seeing Bowles suddenly doing a 180 on his own on that.  Got a feeling there was some arm twisting.  

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

They drafted Adams because he was the best player available.

They took the measured route and made a safe and obvious pick with the higher valued prospect. 

I agree to a certain extent.  But if any of those QBs develops into a top 12 QB, than Adams, even if he becomes the best safety in the league, would not be the BAP.  If a team doesn't have a QB, that is automatically the #1 priority.  

Our GMs can't keep saying how much they don't like any of the top QB prospects while running Fitz/McCown/Hack out to run the 32nd ranked offense.  That's drafting scared.  Afraid to miss on a first round pick while (prior to this year) drafting huge projects with high bust potential in the second round.

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree.............But

If that were the plan, why would ONLY McCown get reps in practice with the one's until last week?   Now he gets NONE.  Has it suddenly dawned on Bowles that if Hack or Petty, who was only getting reps with the scout team, developed into a good QB, it would be good for him.

I'll admit I'm confused with what is going on.   I can't remember a QB competition going as weird as this one   Seemingly  neither have most of the scribes. 

Yes the best thing for every one would be for Hack/Petty to become a star.  Until very recently neither had any reps with the ones.  Now at the time when positions are usually sealed, they completely reverse course.  Most peculiar 

What you mentioned about the McCown being the only one getting reps with the number one offence is not necessarily true. He's been getting more of the reps, this is true, but Hackenburg has been getting some reps and Petty a whole lot less.

54 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

What are you talking about?  IMO the bone is gone.  It seems that Bowles status  might have changed.  Your second point about trying to out do the Bills still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMO Bowles has one foot on the platform, and one on the train.  Something has clearly changed  in the QB non-competition.

To compare Bowles, and his standing as a HC, to Highly sought after HC's who were in a position to demand autonomy from powerful reputations, or Super Bowl wins is laughable.   

The only 1 making that assumption is you .  The Jets decided on a format that works for them and IMO, makes sense for the team . It's the Job of the GM to facilitate the type of player the HC wants that best enables him to do what he wishes . In the case of Morton, it's Bowes  job to tell Mac what Morton wants for his offense .

Mac Gets Bowes the players he wants and he did his job . In 3 years, mac has gotten 2 of the draft highest rated players and another that was a highly rated 1st  round player for his defense .  If the defense doesn't begin to look a quality unit, it's not the fault of thee GM who got his HC a 1st round pick at every level f the defense .  Mac can go to the owner and show him what he did . Bowles will then have to go to the owner and explain what he did with what he got .

You see a problem, but I see a system of checks and balances .  

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The only logical answer is that Mac either wants one of our QBs to emerge, or he wants one of next year's QBs over any of those three. 

Following that logic then McKnown winning 3 or 4 of the first 5 games would be the last thing in the world that we would want to see happen. 

Next years QB's are all "what if" players show me another GM in the NFL that dismisses the current season and winning for the next season. There is none. Macc needs to go ASAP.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

They drafted Adams because he was the best player available.

They took the measured route and made a safe and obvious pick with the higher valued prospect. 

Understood and agree but the Jets needed a QB you know this, I know this, the NFL knows this, the entire world knows this and here we are today without a decent QB. 

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Exactly, that is what's been lacking from our coaching staff for a number of years now, the ability to coach and develop young talent. If Bowles and company get  this young roster to even show a semblance or competence , its a major step forward over the plug a vet approach that's been the teams mo.

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Next years QB's are all "what if" players show me another GM in the NFL that dismisses the current season and winning for the next season. There is none. Macc needs to go ASAP.

If next year's QB's are what if's what the hell were this year's QB's . Watson , Trubisky, Kiser and probably even Mahomes would be rated no higher than #4 with next's years QB class. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Well both TB and Ten tanked in order to draft Winston and Mariota.  Sure, they gut their roster like the Jets did, but down the stretch they purposely lost games.

And this year with what ever the he'll the Jets are doing, you can add Buffalo, possibly Indy and Balt.  SF and Cle didn't concretely answer their long term QB question and skipped drafted any of the first rounders.

So I think there is a ton of interest in Darnold, Rudolph, and potentially Rosen, Falk, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mayfield.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If next year's QB's are what if's what the hell were this year's QB's . Watson , Trubisky, Kiser and probably even Mahomes would be rated no higher than #4 with next's years QB class. 

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well both TB and Ten tanked in order to draft Winston and Mariota.  Sure, they gut their roster like the Jets did, but down the stretch they purposely lost games.

And this year with what ever the he'll the Jets are doing, you can add Buffalo, possibly Indy and Balt.  SF and Cle didn't concretely answer their long term QB question and skipped drafted any of the first rounders.

So I think there is a ton of interest in Darnold, Rudolph, and potentially Rosen, Falk, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mayfield.

There's always next year is the NY Jets motto it keeps us going. 

40 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The only 1 making that assumption is you .  The Jets decided on a format that works for them and IMO, makes sense for the team . It's the Job of the GM to facilitate the type of player the HC wants that best enables him to do what he wishes . In the case of Morton, it's Bowes  job to tell Mac what Morton wants for his offense .

Mac Gets Bowes the players he wants and he did his job . In 3 years, mac has gotten 2 of the draft highest rated players and another that was a highly rated 1st  round player for his defense .  If the defense doesn't begin to look a quality unit, it's not the fault of thee GM who got his HC a 1st round pick at every level f the defense .  Mac can go to the owner and show him what he did . Bowles will then have to go to the owner and explain what he did with what he got .

Here's the problem with that. If you have a really strong defensive mind as coach, doesn't it make sense to have more talent on the other side?

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Understood and agree but the Jets needed a QB you know this, I know this, the NFL knows this, the entire world knows this and here we are today without a decent QB. 

Teams do not stumble on bpa QBs.  They have to go and get them.  A large portion of the time they are reached and or traded for.  

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

There's always next year is the NY Jets motto it keeps us going. 

You're right.  But when we keep ignoring the offensive side of tha ball and swinging and missing on trash QBs, next year is all we have.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Starting McCown is one of the worst decisions ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  A 38 year old bum QB....here we go again.

Fans/beat writers & media are "tanking". 

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Bingo! He's a 15 yr vet.  He knows and has played in this offense. Has been coached by Bates before.  He was taking a majority of the "1st team" reps in OTAs, minis & early in TC (enough so people i.e. Cimini were questioning if there was a true competition)..

If he's named the starter next week (my guess) he'll still have two weeks to practice w/the 1's...

The past two weeks are allowing Hack & Petty to get more reps and show where they are so if/when the time comes when one or both need to play come reg season, the CS has a better idea what they can and can't do and what they need to work on/develop in the interim..

2017-08-24 6:08 PM |

Ethan Greenberg

What Josh McCown Thinks of Quarterback Reps

Despite a limited number of reps in practice the past couple of days, quarterback Josh McCown is supportive of the division of labor at his position.

"I think it's just about spreading out the work," McCown said. "I took a lot of the work in the spring and Coach [Bowles], with every position all the time, wants to see different guys. I trust they have a plan that they're working by and I'm going to do my part wherever I'm at, so I don't take anything out of it.

"I just take my reps and then try to help and be supportive. I've been in this league awhile, so I think from an evaluation standpoint, to a certain degree, they understand where I'm at given the work that I've had. To allow the other two guys to get some work is the smart thing for us and I'm supporting whatever we decide."

Make no mistake, the 38-year-old wants to be starting under center Week 1 in Orchard Park. But for now, the 6'4", 218-pounder is focused on his role in the MetLife Bowl against the crosstown rival Giants.

"When you're a member of an organization, you trust that plan and I'm falling in line with that and support that no matter what," he said. "If that means go out and play three quarters Saturday night, I'll do that. If it means I'm going to play one or three series, whatever it is, I want to do that to the best I can.

"Then when I'm not in there, support those guys the best I can so their work is good and they feel confident about what they're doing. Since I got here, the ultimate goal for us as a position group is to make this position play at a high level. That's our plan so whatever I can do to help that, whether it's getting on the field or supporting those guys when they're in there, that's what I'm going to do."

McCown said he's been in similar situations throughout his 15-year career and will be ready if and when his number is called.

"I'd agree with that," he said about the significance of camp because of coordinator John Morton's new offense. "But I'm a vet and I do have experience to draw upon whereas the other guys are vastly younger. So I think it's important for those guys to get caught up to speed with these guys as well...I feel good with where I'm at and my expectation when the opportunity comes is to play at a high level no matter what the work has been." 

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Really?

The Jets have a roster that is widely regarded as one of the worst in the league .  The Jets are repeatedly picked as one of the top picks in next year's draft.  The QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL.  And being handled terribly.  

This is the 3rd year  of these guys.  Your happy with the results?  Things are right on plan?

Since the Lions game there has been a dramatic turn around in the way the QB mess is being handled.  if you think this is just a system of checks and balances for a well run team in the 3rd year of it's regime, cool.  Good Luck with that

The only thing McCown would say is that Bowles does, indeed, have a plan, one that they discussed at the beginning of the week. The limited reps, he said, weren’t a surprise, and though he does prefer the extra work, McCown said that if called, he believes he can play Saturday.

“I trust that Coach Bowles has a vision for this team for how he’s evaluating everything and I support that,” he said. “When you’re a member of an organization, you trust that plan, so I’m falling in line with that and support that no matter what. If that means go out and play three quarters Saturday night, I’ll go out and do that. If that means I play one or three series, whatever that is, I want to do it best I can.”

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/todd-bowles-may-wait-a-few-extra-days-to-name-jets-starting-qb-1.14088710?utm_content=buffer02937&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The only thing McCown would say is that Bowles does, indeed, have a plan, one that they discussed at the beginning of the week. The limited reps, he said, weren’t a surprise, and though he does prefer the extra work, McCown said that if called, he believes he can play Saturday.

“I trust that Coach Bowles has a vision for this team for how he’s evaluating everything and I support that,” he said. “When you’re a member of an organization, you trust that plan, so I’m falling in line with that and support that no matter what. If that means go out and play three quarters Saturday night, I’ll go out and do that. If that means I play one or three series, whatever that is, I want to do it best I can.”

Sounds like a guy who got bad news, and got it from someone who didn't make, or agree with the decision, but true to his character is being a stand up guy, great teammate, and supporting the organizations decision to see what the kids have.

Archived