Training Camp Practice 8/24

C Mart

1 hour ago, mkajet01 said:

Bryce petty should be the jets starting qb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

And here is why...

Petty will continue to develop, Hack will further develop as a Number 2, we get a chance at a Franchise QB in the draft and we do all this without TANKING the season!! 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Really?

The Jets have a roster that is widely regarded as one of the worst in the league .  The Jets are repeatedly picked as one of the top picks in next year's draft.  The QB situation is one of the worst in the NFL.  And being handled terribly.  

This the the 3rd year  of these guys.  Your happy with the results?  Things are right on plan?

Since the Lions game there has been a dramatic turn around in the way the QB mess is being handled.  if you think this is just a system of checks and balances for a well run team in the 3rd year of it's regime, cool.  Good Luck with that

Personally, assuming the s achieve, worst roster in the league is a tough eval.  The Jets will achieve better than that.

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

And here is why...

Petty will continue to develop, Hack will further develop as a Number 2, we get a chance at a Franchise QB in the draft and we do all this without TANKING the season!! 

I think Petty looked comfortable in this system and I would really like to see him at least get a chance to work the system.  

I didn't write up Petty this week because I'm super busy with an exam and a course, but I thought he actually looked much better than Hackenberg.  I did the gifs but I couldn't find time to write everything down.   The caveat being that he was facing third stringers, but it also meant he was playing with them as well.   He's going through progressions better, making some quality throws.   Even the interception was a great throw (bad decision, but it was essentially a Hail Mary), and the TE really did have a shot to grab it.  Bad Petty 8.gif

On that angle, that's a horrible throw.  

Bad Petty 8B.gif

On a Hail Mary type situation where he has to go for the end zone, that's not a horrible throw.  The TE has a shot at making that play, just gets the ball ripped away.  

Sounds like a guy who got bad news, and got it from someone who didn't make, or agree with the decision, but true to his character is being a stand up guy, great teammate, and supporting the organizations decision to see what the kids have.

he was told this when he signed his 6mil contract ... it was the plan all along. i always chuckled at the beat reporters trying to write him into the starting position... it's really amazing to witness.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Next years QB's are all "what if" players show me another GM in the NFL that dismisses the current season and winning for the next season. There is none. Macc needs to go ASAP.

If Mac thinks he can get a generational type talent next year, and that no QB could win a SB with the team as currently constructed then the smart move would certainly be to think towards the future.

Cut loose the Vets that will not be part of the future and would split the locker room. We will try to win, but only with players that might be a part of the rebuild.

Getting young kids with potential on the field may not be pretty at first, but just because swinging for the fences often results in strikeouts doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If Wally Pip never gets hurt then Gehrig stays on the bench. Now what GM would bench Pip on purpose to give Lou a chance? That's the GM I want.

If you would like to stay mired in mediocrity then you spend up to your limit every year, never taking any risks based on Bowles "Best chance to win" mantra. Think Knicks, and Rangers. Oh if only Dolan would buy the Jets we would be the team that you want. 

Nowadays most people just do not want to face hard facts so they ignore them. Buy that new car you can't afford with credit and maybe you'll win the lottery by the time they demand their money. Driving a hooptie for a year saving money then getting an even better car without the finance charges never crosses their minds. "My girl might leave me if I'm driving a crap car"...Well then you get a better girl too. The Jets don't need fans that will turn on them for following a plan instead of giving them instant gratification. 

Just because you want things to be the way you want does not make it so. People that know their limitations and can cut back now in order to secure a better future are rare today. 

Belichick cut Bernie Kosar which led to a losing season and got him fired because they thought like you do. Look at the Browns now. 

Little Bill also got rid of Bledsoe in 2002 who was at the time the far better QB. This time the owner had more patience. Now he cuts popular players all the time. He's not even very good at judging talent. He misses much more than he hits, but he may be the only GM out there planning years down the road so he doesn't need to be good. 

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

is there a Tank t shirt ... as opposed to the 'no tank' tshirt ? I wouldn't mind seeing a 'TANK w style" t shirt.

For the record my version of Tank is starting Hack and Petty ... hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sherman Abrams may have a shirt for you. 

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I'll give you young the jury is out on how much potential Mac has drafted.

This is all wishful thinking on my part. I don't even know that Mac has a plan or the balls to follow through with it if he does. 

It's just what it looks like from here and I'm hoping this is a long game.

Next year we may have discovered a few diamonds in the rough and very high draft picks to go along with a huge amount of cap space...or we could start McKnown win 6 games and make some in season Percy Harvin like trades and start this whole thing over again next year.

Ima hope for the best.

24 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If Mac thinks he can get a generational type talent next year,

The problem is Macc passed on a generational talent this year, next years draft isn't only STACKED at QB (supposedly I don't think it is, I think it's a 1 QB draft), it's stacked at WR, top end edge rusher, and OL, this past draft was stacked at Safety lol, you take the QB (Mahomes) this year, and then next year while everyone else is scrambling to get the QB you laugh and take the Edge Rusher, or OT, or WR to go with your already gotten QB.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Here's the problem with that. If you have a really strong defensive mind as coach, doesn't it make sense to have more talent on the other side?

Pete Carroll a former defensive coordinator won a SB with a solid defensive team . Bill Belicheck known as a defensive genius wins with a strong defense and Tom Brady . Carolina who has a defensive minded HC rode a strong defense to a SB .  Sean Payton an offensive HC, rode his strong offense to a SB . McCarthy(sp) rode Rodgers and his offense to a SB .  In the NFL, if you have a great defense and a QB, you will win. No better example of this was demonstrated with a journeyman QB having his best year and a solid but inconsistent  Jet defense  coming together to win 10 games  when folks were expecting a garbage season .

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Here's the problem with that. If you have a really strong defensive mind as coach, doesn't it make sense to have more talent on the other side?

Pete Carroll a former defensive coordinator won a SB with a solid defensive team . Bill Belicheck known as a defensive genius wins with a strong defense and Tom Brady . Carolina who has a defensive minded HC rode a strong defense to a SB .  Sean Payton an offensive HC, rode his strong offense to a SB . McCarthy(sp) rode Rodgers and his offense to a SB .  In the NFL, if you have a great defense and a QB, you will win. No better example of this was demonstrated with a journeyman QB having his best year and a solid but inconsistent  Jet defense  coming together to win 10 games  when folks were expecting a garbage season .

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The problem is Macc passed on a generational talent this year, next years draft isn't only STACKED at QB (supposedly I don't think it is, I think it's a 1 QB draft), it's stacked at WR, top end edge rusher, and OL, this past draft was stacked at Safety lol, you take the QB (Mahomes) this year, and then next year while everyone else is scrambling to get the QB you laugh and take the Edge Rusher, or OT, or WR to go with your already gotten QB.

If you're right then it was a huge mistake. No one knows just yet. Time will tell. Either way Mac still needs to stick to the plan he made. 

It's like playing blackjack. You need a plan with rules that beat the odds but you must stick to the plan. You split 8s and double down. If you lose twice in a row you still need to do it again. The odds will even out if you only have the courage to trust your plan and follow it through. 

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I have to give credit where credit is due . You have not backed off on your belief about Mahommes  . Generational talent  and Mahommes in the same sentence , wow .

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If you're right then it was a huge mistake. No one knows just yet. Time will tell. Either way Mac still needs to stick to the plan he made. 

It's like playing blackjack. You need a plan with rules that beat the odds but you must stick to the plan. You split 8s and double down. If you lose twice in a row you still need to do it again. The odds will even out if you only have the courage to trust your plan and follow it through. 

Listen if Mahomes played say at Auburn Cleveland would have ran to the podium to draft the kid 1st overall, people get blinded by stupid things in the NFL like not drafting Derek Carr top 5 because of who his brother was, and yes many scouts have confirmed that he was by far the best looking prospect that year at QB, BUT the Carr last name made them question it, and they all say now that it was stupid, and silly.

Mahomes grew up in MLB locker rooms, his father, and god father have been grooming him to be a professional athlete since he was 5, his arm talent is off the charts, his improvising skills is off the charts, his work ethic is elite, he is extremely smart, and he is as competitive as they come, everything listed above is not in question, what everyone questioned was oh can he call plays in a huddle, and learn an NFL playbook, ummmmm if the scouts aren't questioning all the other stuff I listed the answer to that question should have been a resounding yes, BUT everything is so ******* over analyzed in the NFL they miss what's right in front of their face, and that is what happened with Mahomes because he played at Texas Tech, and no other reason none, nothing else, playing at Texans Tech was his only negative, that's just stupid to bypass over that, it didn't stop guys from drafting Goff #1 he played in the same offense, but it was at Cal so it's ok SMH.

Alright I've done this to nauseum now I'm actually aggravated over this for the first time since May instead of just having fun with some of the other posters, but now seeing the missed opportunity is about to play out on the field because Preseason Week 3 is the first time you actually pay attention, and preseason reps actually mean something it's eating at me, and I will probably be better off just letting it go.

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think Petty looked comfortable in this system and I would really like to see him at least get a chance to work the system.  

I didn't write up Petty this week because I'm super busy with an exam and a course, but I thought he actually looked much better than Hackenberg.  I did the gifs but I couldn't find time to write everything down.   The caveat being that he was facing third stringers, but it also meant he was playing with them as well.   He's going through progressions better, making some quality throws.   Even the interception was a great throw (bad decision, but it was essentially a Hail Mary), and the TE really did have a shot to grab it.  Bad Petty 8.gif

On that angle, that's a horrible throw.  

Bad Petty 8B.gif

On a Hail Mary type situation where he has to go for the end zone, that's not a horrible throw.  The TE has a shot at making that play, just gets the ball ripped away.  

You make GREAT POINTS as always.

I think the key play for me last game was where Petty checked out of the called play because he recognized the defense to get a one on one match on the outside, which he then executed well for a significant gain.  Yes, Petty did it against 3rd stringers but the in game recognition and execution were the keys for me  and I didn't see that as much from Hack; yet Hack was in fear of his life behind that OL and he also was the victim of key drops.

Indeed I can't remember but I do believe that Petty also was the victim of another TD catch that was botched other than the one that you pointed out above.

I myself, am not sure that Petty can be more than a back up but I really believe that the Jets need to keep him and not retard his growth as a back up if he is in fact relegated to third string status.  

Finally I also thought that the Jets might be getting Petty more looks in games as a means to increase his trade value since last year there was genuine interest in acquiring Petty around the league.  

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think the key play for me last game was where Petty checked out of the called play because he recognized the defense to get a one on one match on the outside, which he then executed well for a significant gain.  Yes, Petty did it against 3rd stringers but the in game recognition and execution were the keys for me  and I didn't see that as much from Hack; yet Hack was in fear of his life behind that OL and he also was the victim of key drops.

Indeed I can't remember but I do believe that Petty also was the victim of another TD catch that was botched other than the one that you pointed out above.

I myself, am not sure that Petty can be more than a back up but I really believe that the Jets need to keep him and not retard his growth as a back up if he is in fact relegated to third string status.  

Finally I also thought that the Jets might be getting Petty more looks in games as a means to increase his trade value since last year there was genuine interest in acquiring Petty around the league.  

The first shot to Leggett in the end zone on the previous drive was thrown at chest level. It allowed the DB to get his hand in there. While Leggett should have attacked the ball the same way he should have here Petty could have put the ball 2 feet higher and forced the TE to attack the ball. It looks to me like he corrected that mistake on this throw. It still didn't work but this is progress. What he needs is more chances.

I blame the runs up the middle during both red zone trips for our lack of TDs. Jees, these are low percentage plays where everything must go right. the smart thing to do is to put the ball where your receiver has a chance to make a play but the DB does not. That's not going to work when you give your players only one shot at it.

Take away those 3 runs up the middle for no gain and give Petty 3 more shots into the end zone and we probably get 14 points instead of 6. Then that last play never happens because we're kicking a FG to ice the game in that spot.

17 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Amazing, we have 6 zillion first round picks on our D but we need to fear the Giants D.

unreal

Huh? What you say makes no sense. The Jets offense is completely unproven and has not looked great so far in preseason. It's the offense that needs to worry about the Giants D. 

The Jets D has been solid so far. Yes, there are 6 first round picks on the Jets D. 5 of them selected by the Jets. 3 of them on the D-line (their strongest unit). 1 CB, giving them a legit #1 corner, which every team needs. And two young players that have great upside but have yet to prove they belong in the league (Adams, Lee). I expect this defense to be very good. 

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

You completely missed my point. If you are a great defensive coach, you can make a Top 10 defense with good defensive players. This allows you to spend more resources on better playmakers and better talent on the offensive side to be more balanced.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thanks.

Good Petty 8- Preseason 2.gif

That's an NFL starter caliber throw.  We have seen it almost every week from Kyle Wilson to Buster Skrine being on the opposite end of these throws, but rarely from our side.  Practically nails the receiver on the helmet.  There is a safe play to Hansen there for short yards, but Petty takes the shot deep and nails it.  This is what Hackenberg is missing, he's not nailing these throws on a consistent basis, instead opting for the Hansen throw underneath, which brings the defense up when he plays.  

He had a high amount of good plays, I think I had somewhere around 15 or so, just for the positive plays.  I looked at it, and was like, I can't type up the essay for this.  If he gets made the starter, maybe I'll piece it together or something.  

He looks MUCH more comfortable out there than Hackenberg.  He is going through progressions well, moving in the pocket better and making anticipation throws.  I get why Hackenberg gets more shots because he has a higher ceiling and an extra year of cheap control, on top of the pride of him taking him that high.  However, Petty physically has every tool to succeed.  His arm strength is strong (53 mph at the combine- which is about the same as Kizer, who everyone is moaning about not picking now), size, decent mobility, and can stand tall in the pocket.  The biggest conversion issue for him was the system because it's completely different.  However, he's showing progression in the pre-season games.  I'm not sure how much I trust these beat reporters given all the "Hackenberg hit a reporter" BS that went on.  In both pre-season games, I though he looked decent, albeit better last week than the first week.  

I think he has a chance to good, but I really want to see him with the first team.  If you take out the mental aspect of it, I think he has every tool to be a first round QB.  Same with Hackenberg and the mechanical aspect of it I guess.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how Petty plays tomorrow.  I'm not saying he's Darnold or a franchise guy, but I think people under-value him because he was drafted low.  I thought he looked better than the stats last year because he was getting killed behind that makeshift line.  He might still be getting killed behind that line this year, but I think he deserves just as much of a shot as Hackenberg now.  Coming into training camp, I got why Hackenberg had to be ahead, it just makes more sense for the Jets to hope he works out.  However, I think Petty has closed the gap to a point that if Hackenberg falters and Petty looks decent, I think he should start.  

Archived