Bowles Handling of Jets QB’s; Brilliant or Baffling?

JetNation

37 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The way the Jets have handled this ENTIRE QB situation has been baffling. Does ANYONE think McCown is any better than Fitzpatrick? Plus, what little Hackenberg has shown tells me the Jets either don't know how to develop a QB or he plain sucks. Petty looks like a career journeyman backup type and Hack doesn't even look that good.

Petty is a stronger armed version of McCown when McCown was 26, AND nobody gave him a backup job never mind a starting job until he was about 30, also McCown is more athletic then Petty.  So the Jets have McCown, inexperienced McCown, and a big fat ? that is at least 50/50 chance if not higher to be worse then McCown.  The QB situation is a dumpster fire!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Not wishing injury on any player but if he is IR him and be done.

Next man up......hopefully not another washed up NFL loser QB. 

Still time to trade for a QB or go with Petty and Hackenberg and let it run its course. 

I think he will be ready for opening week... So they are waiting to IR him hoping Hack/Petty step up but if not they still have him.

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Neither - if they all suck, they all suck and Bowles + co. did what they could to try and get one of them to emerge. If one of them emerges, then it's because it was going to happen regardless. The more I follow this sport, the more I have accepted that a QB is either going to be or not be. There is not "developing". There is just the curve that it takes a QB to reach his potential. On his own. A good environment and coach can help shorten the curve, but the outcome is determined at the individual level. 

I'm not sure I agree with that being 100% true all the time. Although you have some merit in that theory. When I think about some QB'S like Kap and RGIII to name a couple, they looked like great QB'S at first. Where are they now? 

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

Growing pains, yes.  But to say the same as Hack is absolutely unlikely.  Carson Wentz had some issues last year.  Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch, even Kessler had some growing pains.  But last year as rookies, they were a hell of a lot more prepared and ready than Hack is currently.

And Hack was the one who was supposed to be able to digest and comprehend a intricate NFL playbook.  

I mean he played an entire half against Detroit and completed one pass across the line of scrimmage.  

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

Growing pains, yes.  But to say the same as Hack is absolutely unlikely.  Carson Wentz had some issues last year.  Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch, even Kessler had some growing pains.  But last year as rookies, they were a hell of a lot more prepared and ready than Hack is currently.

And Hack was the one who was supposed to be able to digest and comprehend a intricate NFL playbook.  

I mean he played an entire half against Detroit and completed one pass across the line of scrimmage.  

Because he didn't complete 1 pass doesn't mean he wasn't prepared. Qb's can be prepared all they want , but they'll have little chance to succeed if they're flat on their back in 3 seconds from the snap.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Scott McLoughan on Schefter podcast, if you think the drunk can scout it's a good listen.  Spoiler alert, he says he thinks Christian Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed as a starter in the NFL! 

Again he's a drunk because he says Hack has a 70% chance to succeed.  If he came out and said Hack had no chance the headline would be former unnamed GM says Hack has no chance at becoming a starting QB. Gotta love media spin and the fans who play along .

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Part of me wonders if Bowles is "desperate" to prove Hack offers nothing, so that everyone will shut up about him already.

80% of the people are telling Bowles not to play Hack. So I think you should re calibrate that part of you lol.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

There is no doubt this is a fake competition.  Just like every camp battle under Todd.  The Vets win no matter what and the best players don't play.  Todd is a fraud. 

Quoting this to make it easy to find after Hack lights it up on Saturday night and is named the week one starter.

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

Great article Glenn.

I do think there is one possible other scenario, though slight.  Is it possible that McCown has a sore throwing shoulder?  He's certainly not a young guy, and has had the majority of the reps in camp. perhaps he's just sore, they want to get him healthy for the season, and don't want to start the injury rumor.

IDK anything else is very bad news for the Jets 

Thanks.

Possible, but really no harm in letting people know he's hurting at this point, so not sure why he'd hold that back.

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again he's a drunk because he says Hack has a 70% chance to succeed.  If he came out and said Hack had no chance the headline would be former unnamed GM says Hack has no chance at becoming a starting QB. Gotta love media spin and the fans who play along .

Lol, I wrote that nobody in the media did, I know some around here think he has no credit because he has had issues with alcohol in the past.

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

This is also important because it means that another person who is paid for living has evaluated Hack and says that he is a legitimate QB prospect and can win in this league.

Wow maybe Mac and Bowles  are NOT idiots after all... :) 

38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Because he didn't complete 1 pass doesn't mean he wasn't prepared. Qb's can be prepared all they want , but they'll have little chance to succeed if they're flat on their back in 3 seconds from the snap.

I think a Mike Tyson quote applies here ?

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

So, it is your take that all four of those QBs will not be allowed to even dress year 1, and then (as it seems today) be unable to beat out a 38-year-old veteran who's won 11 games in 11 seasons in their second year?  That all four's signature performance will be a preseason game where they go 18-25 with no points, and 14 of those 18 game within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage?  Those same "growing pains?"

+1. I would bet NONE of those guys have the "growing pains" that Hack has. Hack is just not an NFL level player -- I'd bet money Darnold starts day one and is pretty good.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I think a Mike Tyson quote applies here ?

Still has nothing to do with preparation though. Getting the snot beat out of ya may make you gun shy but it can't erase the ( well at least in most cases ) the mental aspect of the game.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Still has nothing to do with preparation though. Getting the snot beat out of ya may make you gun shy but it can't erase the ( well at least in most cases ) the mental aspect of the game.

Yes it does, it basically translates into you can prepare all you want, BUT when you get punched in the mouth the brain scrambles, and your preparation can be thrown out the window, forgotten, replaced by fear, ect.

41 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes it does, it basically translates into you can prepare all you want, BUT when you get punched in the mouth the brain scrambles, and your preparation can be thrown out the window, forgotten, replaced by fear, ect.

So you think the 2-6 performance against the  Lions was due to preparation. I don't, I believe  it was due to a sh*tty game plan and extremely sh*tty Oline play. Hack got hit and sacked in the 1st PS, he still went on to complete a large % of his passes - so I guess he did that with a scrambled brain and fear and just got lucky. 

I get it many here hate the Hack pick and wish he was never selected as a Jet QB, I just can't understand why so many go out of their way to nitpick and scrutinize a QB who hasn't had a real chance to show what he has. If you think last week's game was that chance, I just can't agree.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Scott McLoughan on Schefter podcast, if you think the drunk can scout it's a good listen.  Spoiler alert, he says he thinks Christian Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed as a starter in the NFL! 

McLoughan also thinks Blake Bortles is going to have a good career.

5 hours ago, Pcola said:

Goff was not ahead of where Hack was now.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm guessing the 5 1st rounders in no particular order are:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Luke Falk

Mason Rudolph

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

I'm guessing the 5 1st rounders in no particular order are:

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen

Josh Allen

Luke Falk

Mason Rudolph

A lot of scouts do not have Rudolph anyway near the first round . I heard a few say the even have a 3rd round grade on him .. them seem to like like Mayfield better. Fwiw

26 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

A lot of scouts do not have Rudolph anyway near the first round . I heard a few say the even have a 3rd round grade on him .. them seem to like like Mayfield better. Fwiw

"A lot of scouts"?  You took some kind of poll?  Anyway, opinions vary but there are enough draft sites out there that list him as a 1st round pick for me to feel comfortable that he is one of the 5 McCloughan was talking about.  I personally think he is a solid 2nd rounder.  For my personal 5 I would substitute Rudolph for Jarrett Stidham, who, if healthy, I feel he will be climbing up draft boards during the coarse of the season.

I know it wouldn't be a popular pick here , but if the Jets truly stay with a WCO I would prefer Luke Falk.  He doesn't have the arm that some of the others have but he's an upper 60's completion % and has decent size 6'4 215  and 89 TD's to 26 Int's so far through 2.5 full seasons at Wash St. 

I seem to remember a similar scenario to thid regarding a 2nd Round QB that just wasn't gonna make it. His name was Drew Brees. In fact his heir apparent was drafted (Rivers) top 5 and one day Brees lights turned on. Rivers only got his job because of injury but Brees took 2 years before he looked anything close to be considered worthy of stepping on an NFL field. A second round pick that could not beat out Doug Flutie. I'm not saying its gonna happen here but never say never. What's even more interesting is that Brees is actually a better QB than the guy that was drafted to be the future and replace him

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He didn't name them, but my guess is Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and Stidham.

Jackson 1st round WR maybe.  Great college QB but no way I draft him in the first.  I pray to GOD ALMIGHTY, that the Jets don't have a 1st round grade on him as a QB.  

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

Jackson 1st round WR maybe.  Great college QB but no way I draft him in the first.  I pray to GOD ALMIGHTY, that the Jets don't have a 1st round grade on him as a QB.  

I agree, but the scouts are really buzzing about him as a pro QB prospect right now, he is the one guy who can become a legit top half 1st rounder, or a 3rd round slash QB/WR project, all depends on the strides he makes this season throwing the ball, dude is supremely athletic, and has a cannon for an arm.

Archived