Schefter: McDougle Traded to Eagles for S Terrence Brooks

Lith

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A trade of 3rd round picks...

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"Terrific pick right here. Brooks can run from the free safety position. He can blitz. He can play the center-field spot for you." -- Charles Davis

OVERVIEW

Was a two-way player as a Florida prep, playing cornerback, wide receiver and running back. Appeared in 10 games as a true freshman 2010, recording two tackles, one pass breakup and zero interceptions as a backup cornerback and special-teams player. Did not play in four games (coach's decision). Served as FSU's dime defender in '11, recording 17-5-1 with one-half tackle for loss in 11 games. Recorded his first career interception against Notre Dame, picking off a pass in the end zone to clinch the Champs Sports Bowl. Missed two contests (coach's decision). After spending two years in a reserve role, he started all 14 games at free safety in '12 and had 51-4-2 with one tackle for loss and one forced fumble. Started 13 games for the '13 national champions (five at free safety, eight at strong safety), registering 56-5-2 with eight tackles for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Missed the Wake Forest game because of a concussion and left the Miami game at halftime for the same reason.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Fluid and flexible. Pedals and transitions smoothly. Has cornerback speed -- plays fast and covers ground. Has a 38-inch vertical jump. Patrols zones with awareness and anticipation to react to threats. Keys quickly, trusts his eyes and does not hesitate. Aggressive in run support -- swoops down with urgency, runs the alley and plays with abandon. Dependable makeup -- solid character. Tough and durable. Has ability and mentality to contribute on special teams.

WEAKNESSES

Could stand to bulk up and get stronger. Inconsistent tackler -- arrives out of control, does not always see what he hits and will miss some tackles seeking the knockout blow. Is built like a cornerback, sustained a concussion as a senior and durability could be an issue given his aggressive playing style. Minimal production on the ball -- was not a playmaker. Has average hands and leaves some INTs on the field. Poor short-shuttle time (7.35 seconds) at the combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE

Lean, athletic, confident, competitive hybrid safety who should be a solid backup and core special-teams player at a minimum given his combination of fluidity, range and physicality. Has starter-caliber ability if he can improve his ball skills, and offers versatility as a "robber" or box defender.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/terrence-brooks?id=2543712

Seems to make sense now..

BOTTOM LINE

Lean, athletic, confident, competitive hybrid safety who should be a solid backup and core special-teams player at a minimum given his combination of fluidity, range and physicality. Has starter-caliber ability if he can improve his ball skills, and offers versatility as a "robber" or box defender.

Disguising Robber Technique

Against the St. Louis Rams, the Arizona Cardinals deploy their 3-3-5 package in the game, and blitz, sending six defenders after Nick Foles. Safety Deone Bucannon (#20) drops off the line of scrimmage into a robber position, while the other defenders play man coverage across the board:

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2015/10/20/itp-glossary-robber-technique/

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

seems to make sense now..

BOTTOM LINE

http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2015/10/20/itp-glossary-robber-technique/

Because the master of defense needs all the right pieces for his system to operate! 

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Has the nature /extend of R Miles injury been reported anywhere?  

Only the Jets could draft Safeties in the first 2 round and then still need to trade for 1.

eye laceration and hasn't practiced in over a week.

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Seems to make sense now..

BOTTOM LINE

Disguising Robber Technique

Against the St. Louis Rams, the Arizona Cardinals deploy their 3-3-5 package in the game, and blitz, sending six defenders after Nick Foles. Safety Deone Bucannon (#20) drops off the line of scrimmage into a robber position, while the other defenders play man coverage across the board:

Imagine three Deone Bucannons on the field at once!

A trade of two players trying to resurrect their careers

Terrence Brooks is resurrecting his career with the Eagles

By: Turron Davenport | July 31, 2017 8:49 am ET

The Baltimore Ravens selected safety Terrence Brooks in the third round (No. 79 overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft. He was coming off of a National Championship season at Florida State.

Having played both cornerback and safety in college, Brooks’ versatility seemed like a natural fit for the Ravens. He played in 11 games before tearing his ACL and missing the rest of the season.

He played a lot less in 2015 when he returned from his injury. The Ravens made a series of free agent signings that pushed Brooks further down the depth chart and eventually led to his release.

Brooks was surprised by the news that he was cut but used it as motivation to make the most of his opportunity with the Eagles.

“I went through a lot of adversity in Baltimore and never want that to happen again. I owe it to myself,” Brooks explained after practice. “I know that I am a good player. I have to come out here and prove it.”

Claiming Brooks the day after he was released made sense for the Eagles since former Ravens personnel man Joe Douglas is now in Philadelphia.

Having played primarily a special teams role last year in Philly, Brooks worked to eventually earn an opportunity to have an impact on defense. The third-year safety posted his first career interception, a game sealer against the Giants in December.

Entering training camp this year, Brooks has his sights set on the No. 3 safety job. He is in an intense competition with Jaylen Watkins for the spot.

The coaching staff in Baltimore had some issues with Brooks’ ability to grasp the defense in 2015. He is making the necessary adjustments to ensure that doesn’t happen in Philadelphia.

At 25 years old, Brooks is a more focused player than he was when he first entered the league.

“For the most part, I am just taking the time to study up,” Brooks said. “I cut out all of the distractions and just stay home with my family. I just keep working and learning the playbook until I am comfortable with it.”

Having veterans Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod on the field to give him pointers also helps.

“When we get out here on the field, they always help me out whether it be techniques or just recognizing my plays,” Brooks said. “They are the starters for a reason so I just try to absorb all the stuff I can from them.”

Brooks has started to make more plays in practice. He seems to always find the football, which is a good thing for a safety. Now he is more vocal in practice.

“I feel like my coaches back in college ingrained that in me to take control and be the boss. When I am quiet I don’t play as well,” Brooks said. “I just speak loud and make sure I get everybody going. I try to be the leader and the guy that controls everybody and calms everybody down.”

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/31/terrence-brooks-is-resurrecting-his-career-with-the-eagles/

Archived