How can anyone defend this regime?

jgb

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

This roster is worse than it was when Macc was hired.  He got rid of savvy veterans who kept us at a decent level and replaced them with scrubs, if not for the NY Jets most wouldn't be in the NFL. 

We needed a QB and he took 2 safeties with pick 1-2 in the 2017 draft. 

He thinks Hackenberg is an NFL QB. 

Should I continue? 

Don't forget that even though we need a receiver, RB, QB, OL, etc., he just traded McDougle (who was actually having a decent camp) for yet ANOTHER safety. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Don't forget that even though we need a receiver, RB, QB, OL, etc., he just traded McDougle (who was actually having a decent camp) for yet ANOTHER safety. 

There's another way to view it.  We were able to trade McDougle BECAUSE he was having a good camp.  The guy we got back is probably as good or better than the one we traded and we are as thin or thinner at Safety as we are at CB.  We have the two rookies and pretty much no healthy vets behind them (Miles has an eye laceration).  It looks like a reasonable trade that only got focus because we drafted rookies in rounds 1-2.  But you still need at least 4 healthy Safeties on the team and we didn't have that.  

Also, McDougle is a 5'-10", injury-prone slot defender who was having a nice camp but would have been a backup this season and will be a backup on the Eagles.  It's not like we traded Aaron Glenn.

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The worst thing that happened to the Jets was Fitz's 1st year success here.  It made Macc "go for it" year 2.  We got a major dose of reality last year though and we're back to the start of the rebuild (that Macc started on when he got here).  If we get Darnold, it will magically wash away a lot of the ugliness of the past couple of seasons. A franchise QB is the pillar of a successful football team.

Nothing, I repeat nothing made Mac go for it in year two.  At least 2/5ths of this board knew Fitz was not going to repeat; plus the Fitz holdout and missing camp compounded the error.  

Further the Mo contact after drafting Williams was just plain asinine.  Made zero sense to keep both players on the roster.  Once again this board knew this.

Spending all the year one cap on rentals is another stupidity.  Mac has made a few good moves as well but the bad moves overshadow them by a lot.

Why is it always back to the drawing board with this team.             

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Can't judge this years picks. Williams was a no-brainer pick so the best praise I can give is Macc didn't overthink it. Robbie Anderson wasn't a draft pick. Petty is a JAG career backup. Neither a win nor a loss. Honestly don't know anything about Jenkins. 

I agree, can't judge this years picks, also can't judge Petty as a career JAG (too early). Got to give credit to Mac for not passing on Leo when others did, Robbie Anderson not being a draft pick makes it even more impressive MAC signed him. Mac (and Bowles) not as horrible as some fans claim. Can't keep firing people because of no immediate success 

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

What the heck are you talking about. Safety is the MOST important position on a Bowles team but only if they are a hybrid type that can play in the box for Bowles "creative" scheme.....sigh

Rex loved corners, Bowles loves safeties how about we get Kettle Korn and Staten Island Ferry to find us a QB that loves QBs?

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nothing, I repeat nothing made Mac go for it in year two.  At least 2/5ths of this board knew Fitz was not going to repeat; plus the Fitz holdout and missing camp compounded the error.  

Further the Mo contact after drafting Williams was just plain asinine.  Made zero sense to keep both players on the roster.  Once again this board knew this.

Spending all the year one cap on rentals is another stupidity.  Mac has made a few good moves as well but the bad moves overshadow them by a lot.

Why is it always back to the drawing board with this team.             

This is my brief summary history of how we are where we are:

• In the 2015 offseason, the Jets had a 2nd round QB who showed some promise, 2+ OL, Decker and David Harris with big contracts that still had some life in them, 5 years of not being in the playoffs, Darrell Revis becoming available, and cap space that supposed needed to be spent.  Woody told Macc to be competitive in 2015, and he made some relatively bargain basement moves to do that, other than Revis and Cromartie.  I think Woody pushed Revis, and Bowles encouraged Cromartie.  Many thought the Jets should just rebuild.
  • In the 2015, Mac picked another DL who had some impact, and Wilkerson was nearing his contract expiration.  The other draft picks did not really contribute, although Mauldin sparked.
  • Voila-the Jets won 10 games, almost made the playoffs, and Macc won Executive of the Year.
  • The Jets now were cap constrained.  Macc knew that 2015 was a fluke.   He tried to toe the line with Fitz and Wilkerson.  However, Bowles gave Fitz the job without a contract, and Woody did not want Wilkerson walking without "compensation" (but see Malik Jackson).  So we had 2 stalemates into the 2016 offseason.
  • But as the Jets bumbled along without Fitz, and the veterans revolted, Woody encouraged Macc to fold and sign Fitz.  That then meant that Wilk needed to be signed to a long-term contract to free up cap space.  Macc gave big contracts to 2 older RBs, Forte and Powell, to be competitive.
  • 2016 crashed, and now the Jets are rebuilding.  However, the 2015 and 2016 drafts, appear disappointing, even though in retrospect they were weak drafts and Jets' spot and a BPA approach did not align with their needs, strategic positions and their draft spot.  This is a team that is a mess at QB and full of holes.
  • McCown at 6mm appears to be another curious signing.  3 years into their 4 year contracts, MaccBowles appear clueless-win or tank.  The fans are besides themselves.

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I agree, can't judge this years picks, also can't judge Petty as a career JAG (too early). Got to give credit to Mac for not passing on Leo when others did, Robbie Anderson not being a draft pick makes it even more impressive MAC signed him. Mac (and Bowles) not as horrible as some fans claim. Can't keep firing people because of no immediate success 

Well we'll have to disagree. I still have seen nothing to suggest Macc outperforms Mel Kiper's list of top 200 prospects. Haven't seen any "wow" picks that lie outside of conventional thinking and paid off. In fact his most unconventional move thus far has been an unqualified disaster (Hack). If the double safety move pays off this year, that could be such a moment. But up until now I have seen nothing to suggest his expertise is greater than anyone else's. Which is damning for a professional. The sprinkling of success you note is completely explainable by the expectation of randomness.

Petty is a JAG. He couldn't beat out Genope and Fitz 2.0. Time to give up that dream. :P

On 8/28/2017 at 6:15 PM, Tinstar said:

The answer to the OPs Question is with scatter guns because that's how you break up a Lynch mob .  This is one heck of a neck tie party the front office has been invited too . 

Yeah it's going to get ugly here.

Archived