Grade 1 MCL sprain for petty

Barkus

44 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

What's clear to me after watching the last 2 games is that our #1 offense isn't good enough to compete with any team's #1 defense at this point in time. When you take a step back and look at the makeup of this offense,  we have an incoherent offensive line, and a stable of unproven receivers.  Let's just face it,  that's a tough task for any quarterback to come in and take the helm and lead to Victory. And add insult to injury, we have an unproven offense of coordinator to boot . Maybe it will progress to become a reasonably good offense during the season. But we are far away from that reality at this point.

This is reality, at this point no QB can be successful with this line up, so ease up on the guys and let's see if we can improve throughout the season.  This is why I said from the beginning that McCown will start at least 4 games before they turn the reigns over to anyone else.  This will allow the offense to gel and put our young QBs in a better position to be successful while keeping them safe. 

I would like to see Petty start week 1. and a different coaching staff might name him the starter but keep him as Q or P for week 1 with McCown the backup but likely to start the first game.  With this coaching staff, I have no idea what they will do, but if I had to guess, they'll happily name McCown the starter and just tell the brothers Johnson they have no choice.  

We have broken Pennington, Sanchez, and now Petty in meaningless preseason games.  At least Penny was in the 1st half of his.  Playing Sanchez in the 4th quarter was criminally negligent on Rex's part and I'd like to say the same about leaving Petty in so long last night after his 3rd TD.  I wanted to like Bowles but I'm pretty much done with him.  I really would love this team to try an offensive-minded HC for once.  

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Unless the line improves the Jets will need about 16 QB'S this year. Oh wait we have one more preseason game make that 17. Horrible O line.

Yep, it is truly a terrible unit.  They need to go the way of the Cowboys and Raiders and invest heavily in the OL during the period of prime time suckage.

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

Yep, it is truly a terrible unit.  They need to go the way of the Cowboys and Raiders and invest heavily in the OL during the period of prime time suckage.

Here's the quandary.  You probably want to create a good OLine unit a year before you draft your franchise QB so you get more Derek Carr and less David Carr.  We're pretty much too late for that.  This year's draft kind of sucked for OLine which was unfortunate so we're going to have to spend big in FA and hope we can put together a cohesive unit that can keep a rookie QB alive.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Here's the quandary.  You probably want to create a good OLine unit a year before you draft your franchise QB so you get more Derek Carr and less David Carr.  We're pretty much too late for that.  This year's draft kind of sucked for OLine which was unfortunate so we're going to have to spend big in FA and hope we can put together a cohesive unit that can keep a rookie QB alive.  

The master plan needs to be to both draft a franchise QB in 2018 and build the line, or at least start.

To do that right, the QB drafted would not play much next year, which is ok if your other QBs are low cost. 

Next year is Petty's last year.   Petty has gotten hurt quite a bit since he has been here, and the OL does not help matters.  The Jets will easily need 4 QBs this year.  They should be watching the waiver wires/practice squads to look for QB candidates.  Hack should be put on the practice squad, and someone should be working with him.  When someone goes down, Hack can move up.

Hopefully Hack is good enough next year to be at least a number 3.  The QBs would be Petty, Hack and draft pick.  Or maybe Petty looks good and he gets traded.

There is really no need to the McCowns of the world.  The Jets should be focusing on acquiring and developing QBs and protecting them.

On 8/27/2017 at 2:21 PM, MaxAF said:

Unless the line improves the Jets will need about 16 QB'S this year. Oh wait we have one more preseason game make that 17. Horrible O line.

Hackenberg has been pressured on 28% of his dropbacks (NFL avg = 34%). Under pressure though, he is 4/9 for 11 yards with an INT & 6 sacks.

The way to develop a young QB is to build a great O line so he has time to get up to speed without running for his life and getting sacked almost every time when he drops back. IE Dallas with Prescott. No brainer.

Archived